Greg Brown III - Supposed to announce on April 24

Goo Punch

16 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I thought you played at UT pre-integration, maybe you're younger than I've given you credit for

I am not sure that I want to answer you. lol  The first black player at UT if I am not mistaken was Jimmy Blacklock who was a junior college transfer in 1970. His second year as a senior, he started against UH at Las Cruces. His senior year, Larry Robinson was the second black to come to UT but he had to play frosh ball because freshmen could play varsity sports. The next year when he was a sophomore, freshmen could start playing varsity. After Larry and this is from memory, there was Philip Davis, James Price, Ed Johnson, the late Tyrone Johnson, Johnny Moore and the late Gary Goodner. I may have left out a couple for which I apologize. I probably am close to the age you think I am but thank goodness for Texas humidity, I have 30 something wimmens chasing after me. OK, maybe 40 somethings. OK, maybe 50 somethings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Ron Baxter? 

Ron was a couple years later. I think 76 or 77. I think my sophomore year we had more black starters than the football team did. I remember Philip Stroud but don't remember his first year but I think it was late 70s. If I remember correctly, a year after Baxter, 2 kids from Los Angeles...Johnson and Shepherd played for us.

I didn't say he would go pro, i said he would be stupid to pass up going pro to come play for Shaka Smart. 
You said a lot of stuff but the common theme was that you knew without a doubt going pro was the best move and you refused to consider it from any other angle all the while ridiculing and completely discounting other opinions. Not just you but several others also. You were just the most vocal. I don't particularly care, just found it rather fitting to point out since something coming this full circle doesn't usually happen so quickly.

37 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Ron was a couple years later. I think 76 or 77. I think my sophomore year we had more black starters than the football team did. I remember Philip Stroud but don't remember his first year but I think it was late 70s. If I remember correctly, a year after Baxter, 2 kids from Los Angeles...Johnson and Shepherd played for us.

Yeah, was thinking Moore was after Baxter but Wiki says otherwise. 

35 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
48 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:
I didn't say he would go pro, i said he would be stupid to pass up going pro to come play for Shaka Smart. 

You said a lot of stuff but the common theme was that you knew without a doubt going pro was the best move and you refused to consider it from any other angle all the while ridiculing and completely discounting other opinions. Not just you but several others also. You were just the most vocal. I don't particularly care, just found it rather fitting to point out since something coming this full circle doesn't usually happen so quickly.

Lol wut? The discussion of G league wasn’t about predictions. I hope you didn’t miss the point that badly especially since you’re attempting to ridicule someone else about it.

• Like 2

Lol wut? The discussion of G league wasn’t about predictions. I hope you didn’t miss the point that badly especially since you’re attempting to ridicule someone else about it.
Oh really, we weren't trying to figure out what brown was thinking?

Not in any sort of definitive fashion as you seem to be making this into. The discussion was about whether there is reason or not to go to college. GB3 is going to Texas which is great. That doesn’t change mine and others opinions that players should forego college for professional ranks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

that's a whole lot of talk with zero receipts. I'm gonna need some receipts. because i don't recall anybody here saying anything about GB III that's worth this sort of self righteous call-out after he committed to Texas. Go ahead and link us to whatever it is that you find so egregious, and we'll go form there. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Not in any sort of definitive fashion as you seem to be making this into. The discussion was about whether there is reason or not to go to college. GB3 is going to Texas which is great. That doesn’t change mine and others opinions that players should forego college for professional ranks.
And that's a valid opinion. As is the opinion that college for a year would be a worthy option. But read the thread starting from this weekend. Plenty of posts completely dismissed the college option and went as far as to denigrate the opinion implying brown would be dumb to choose college.

12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
35 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

And that's a valid opinion. As is the opinion that college for a year would be a worthy option. But read the thread starting from this weekend. Plenty of posts completely dismissed the college option and went as far as to denigrate the opinion implying brown would be dumb to choose college.

I mean yea. I still think it’s dumb of him to choose college. That doesn’t mean I need to eat crow. Just like if he went pro those thinking he should go to college wouldn’t need crow. The discussion was about the general merits or lack thereof in each choice. Brown choosing one way or the other doesn’t give us an answer to that discussion. Maybe in a decade we can look back though and if I’m wrong I’ll gladly eat some crow.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

12 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I’m happy GB is coming Texas, but because GBIII picked Texas doesn’t mean that going pro isn’t still the best move.  Does anyone honestly think he’ll develop better as a basketball player under Shaka than a special developmental G League team where he’s focusing on basketball full time? Because if you do, I’ve got some beach front property in Kansas to sell you. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

...Does anyone honestly think he’ll develop better as a basketball player under Shaka than a special developmental G League team where he’s focusing on basketball full time? Because if you do, I’ve got some beach front property in Kansas to sell you. 

Kansas is a shitty state.

I would never buy beach front property is backwards-assed Kansas.

15 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

then you either didn't realize there were two discussions occurring or you've fallen victim to only remembering the posts you want to remember.  there were plenty of posts trying to predict gleague vs college for him. 

On 4/18/2020 at 2:33 PM, Goo Punch said:

i don't know what it says about a UT education that so many UT alums can't wrap their head around the idea that their situation and GB III's situation are not analogous, particularly when considering that you all have already gone to UT and loved it, whereas GB III still might commit to fucking Auburn for all we know. Your love for UT was built from your time spent there, and then it's grown even larger over time through supporting Texas athletics as a die hard alumnus. GB III does not feel the same way you do, and even if he were to go to UT his freshman year would be *nothing* like yours. Do you guys even understand that being a major D-1 athlete is a full time job? the situations are not analogous, and GB III would be stupid to go to college right now.

Also, to anyone trying to downplay the money- stop; just stop; that's so stupid it's embarrassing. "well $400k isn't actually $400k after taxes and fees, so I really don't see why this 18 year old would be want a measly $250k over the amazing experience of pretending to be a college student for like 6 months." THE FUCK are y'all talking about?! Jesus. Not to mention endorsement deals, being able to make money off of his own likeness, professional training and coaching, the connections he'll make, and the fact that his dream since he was a kid has been to play in the NBA, and not to come to Texas for half a year. 

On 4/18/2020 at 9:18 PM, Goo Punch said:

you're still missing the point. the point is not, "zomfg $250k is so much money, gb iii is gonna buy a private island!!!".  when you scoff at the money he'd make, you're doing so in comparison to him going to college for free for a few months in a time where there might not even be a basketball season at all. you act as if what he's passing up on is inherently worth more than the $250k he'd be making in base salary + all of the benefits of becoming a professional and being able to profit off of his likeness, and that's just dumb. 

On 4/18/2020 at 9:21 PM, Goo Punch said:

also Revolution512 never went to Texas, and it's hilarious how often over the years he's insinuated that he's an alum. it should be no surprise that he's someone who's both clueless and condescending at the same time.

these three posts encapsulate what bothers me.  this entire thread you've been providing helpful insight on the situation and it's clear you've been following it closely.  but then the gleague option came up and you went from knowing a lot about the situation to thinking you knew what was best for brown.  and then you got uppity and condescending when other opinions were expressed.  that last post of yours i quoted is rich considering the last sentence you wrote before it literally ended with "that's just dumb".

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

also, when we were all saying, "he should go pro", it was being reported that he was being offered a $450k base salary, when he actually ended up being offered $125k. 

no the number in this thread was $400 and that was considered the ceiling because that's what green reportedly got.

26 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

then you either didn't realize there were two discussions occurring or you've fallen victim to only remembering the posts you want to remember.  there were plenty of posts trying to predict gleague vs college for him. 

these three posts encapsulate what bothers me.  this entire thread you've been providing helpful insight on the situation and it's clear you've been following it closely.  but then the gleague option came up and you went from knowing a lot about the situation to thinking you knew what was best for brown.  and then you got uppity and condescending when other opinions were expressed.  that last post of yours i quoted is rich considering the last sentence you wrote before it literally ended with "that's just dumb".

no the number in this thread was $400 and that was considered the ceiling because that's what green reportedly got.

Ok. And yet again I’ll say, I still think Brown made the wrong choice. But again that doesn’t mean Derka needs to eat crow. GB3 chose Texas which was in my opinion, stupid. The entire point of the discussion was a bunch of people thinking they know best for GB3. That was literally the point of the discussion. And not just GB3 but all of the big time recruits. 

You seem to want to get a win when there wasn’t a game going on. Honestly I’m really not sure what your problem is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I won't go so far as to say GBIII made the wrong choice (because I selfishly want to see him playing for the Horns), but given the likelihood of whether we'll even have a season next year I'm really surprised he made the choice he did. 

Very true.

If we have a season, I just hope Shaka learns what a high PnR is so we get to see some GB3 lobs.

Texas fans: "I hope GB III chooses to go to Texas instead of Kentucky or Auburn."

Suddenly the G League gets into the mix, reportedly offering nearly half a million as a base salary, plus professional coaching and training, plus endorsement deals, plus NBA connections.

Texas fans: "I still hope GB III comes to Texas, but he'd be better off going pro.

GB III: "I'm going to Texas."

Texas fans: "Sweet! He chose Texas!"

gsoda: SO WHEN ARE YOU GUYS GONNA EAT CROW

that about sum it up?

Edited by Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Texas fans: "I hope GB III chooses to go to Texas instead of Kentucky or Auburn."

Suddenly the G League gets into the mix, reportedly offering nearly half a million as a base salary, plus professional coaching and training, plus endorsement deals, plus NBA connections.

Texas fans: "I still hope GB III comes to Texas, but he'd be better off going pro.

GB III: "I'm going to Texas."

Texas fans: "Sweet! He chose Texas!"

gsoda: SO WHEN ARE YOU GUYS GONNA EAT CROW

that about sum it up?

Goddamn you're insufferable 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

that about sum it up?

missing:

some texas fans:  he should come to college.  nothing can replicate the college life experience.  plus the monetary tradeoff is more like $200,000.

Derka:  you don't know what greg brown is thinking.  how can you think you know what he's thinking?  you didn't even to go UT.  he's not going to have your same experience.  that's idiotic and dumb.

edit:  would have put that inline with your original quote but the formatting doesn't work.

Edited by gsoda3

i don't know if you're seriously clueless or just playing dumb, but the reason i'm calling you out is because you have a habit of becoming attached to an opinion and failing to realize other opinions are just as credible.  in this case you went so far as to 1.)  ridicule another poster for that idea and 2.)  degrading him.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Derka: you don't know what greg brown is thinking.  how can you think you know what he's thinking?  you didn't even to go UT.  he's not going to have your same experience.  that's idiotic and dumb.

not only did I never even say any of that, you still haven't explained the part where someone needs to eat crow. do you even know what that expression means? serious question, because you really don't seem to know. 

On 4/18/2020 at 2:33 PM, Goo Punch said:

i don't know what it says about a UT education that so many UT alums can't wrap their head around the idea that their situation and GB III's situation are not analogous, particularly when considering that you all have already gone to UT and loved it, whereas GB III still might commit to fucking Auburn for all we know. Your love for UT was built from your time spent there, and then it's grown even larger over time through supporting Texas athletics as a die hard alumnus. GB III does not feel the same way you do, and even if he were to go to UT his freshman year would be *nothing* like yours. Do you guys even understand that being a major D-1 athlete is a full time job? the situations are not analogous, and GB III would be stupid to go to college right now.

Also, to anyone trying to downplay the money- stop; just stop; that's so stupid it's embarrassing. "well $400k isn't actually $400k after taxes and fees, so I really don't see why this 18 year old would be want a measly $250k over the amazing experience of pretending to be a college student for like 6 months." THE FUCK are y'all talking about?! Jesus. Not to mention endorsement deals, being able to make money off of his own likeness, professional training and coaching, the connections he'll make, and the fact that his dream since he was a kid has been to play in the NBA, and not to come to Texas for half a year. 

THIS is the post that has you crying and talking about eating crow? This post? The one with all of the pos rep all over it? You're right about one thing- I really don't get it, "it" being what has you so riled up and demanding that I eat crow when you're apparently the only here with a problem with that post. 

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

Well you did call him stupid.  Maybe that's what soda is referring to?

yes, I said "GB III would be stupid to choose Texas over the G League", and I stand by the obvious sentiment behind the post. do i *actually* think that Greg Brown is stupid now? Am I like, "Man what a dumbass this kid is!" no, of course not. his parents went to UT, his family isn't hurting for money, he'll only get one chance to be a college student/kid/BMOC before becoming a full time professional, and his friends/family can watch him play here at home. I don't think anyone here doesn't get why he might want to choose Texas over the G League. Doesn't change my opinion that going pro would have been a better move. Lots of people in this thread expressed that sentiment, and I don't think that GB III choosing Texas has changed any of our minds. and i'm still completely puzzled as to why his commitment to UT supposedly requires anyone who said that to eat crow. 

43 minutes ago, RoundRobin said:

I’m not sure how you can ruin a thread celebrating the best basketball player to ever come out of Austin committing to UT but you’ve done it. 

i know you're not talking to me. i'm not the one who ran in here and crashed the party by needlessly berating a Texas fan who was busy celebrating the good news over some imagined slight that only exists in gsoda's head. 

Edited by Goo Punch