Greg Brown III - Supposed to announce on April 24

Goo Punch

18 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i know you're not talking to me. i'm not the one who ran in here and crashed the party by needlessly berating a Texas fan who was busy celebrating the good news over some imagined slight that only exists in gsoda's head. 

Wasn’t talking about anyone in particular. Was just bummed that the thread had devolved into a pissing contest. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Sims just doesn't dive very hard and has poor instincts off the roll, however Hayes was exceptional in this respect.

Nope. We haven’t run true pick n roll with any of our bigs and our guards never look for them off the screen. It’s obvious shaka coaches it to be just a screen with the motion being perimeter oriented. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Sims just doesn't dive very hard and has poor instincts off the roll, however Hayes was exceptional in this respect.

That’s true. My point was more that Shaka doesn’t seem to teach the bugs to roll to the basket properly. Countless times I see our bigs turn the wrong way, not set an actual screen, or simply not roll hard. To me those are coaching issues that should be easy to fix however that would require a coach who knew what an offense was supposed to look like.

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nope. We haven’t run true pick n roll with any of our bigs and our guards never look for them off the screen. It’s obvious shaka coaches it to be just a screen with the motion being perimeter oriented. 

We pick and pop with certain bigs (Osetkowski and Baker) and have other guys roll (Hayes, Hamm, SIms). We pick and replace with our guards and initiate pretty much every offensive action off of some sort of high ball screen. Now our guards tend to play too selfishly off a ball screen and often look for their own shots rather than dropping it off. But more than anything they lack anticipation, are risk averse, and often see things way too late, but we still constantly have guys roll. That was pretty much the only way Hayes scored 2 seasons ago. I never thought I'd see the day when Longhorn bball fans were asking for more high ball screens. Shit I'd rather us employ more prescribed offensive sets instead of ball screen left and ball screen right 200 times a game.  

our guards also suck at using a screen correctly. in fact our bigs often suck at running it crisply/correctly themselves. this is a constant under Shaka in several different areas- repeatedly sloppy execution of basic basketball plays/concepts, with no repercussions or corrections, as if Shaka doesn't even notice the complete lack of fundamentals. i can't count the number of times that i've watched a big set a weak-ass screen, only to see the ball handler half-assedly "take" the screen without ever even getting close to the screener, who himself is often already popping/rolling before the screening action has even been completed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We pick and pop with certain bigs (Osetkowski and Baker) and have other guys roll (Hayes, Hamm, SIms). We pick and replace with our guards and initiate pretty much every offensive action off of some sort of high ball screen. Now our guards tend to play too selfishly off a ball screen and often look for their own shots rather than dropping it off. But more than anything they lack anticipation, are risk averse, and often see things way too late, but we still constantly have guys roll. That was pretty much the only way Hayes scored 2 seasons ago. I never thought I'd see the day when Longhorn bball fans were asking for more high ball screens. Shit I'd rather us employ more prescribed offensive sets instead of ball screen left and ball screen right 200 times a game.  

I understand what we do. I don’t consider that bullshit to be a pick n roll. 
It’s too systemic to blame on our players. It’s being coached wrong. People want more real pick n rolls, not the robotic soft screen then slow moving big who doesn’t even get looked at by the guard bullshit Shaka has run every damn year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I understand what we do. I don’t consider that bullshit to be a pick n roll. 
It’s too systemic to blame on our players. It’s being coached wrong. People want more real pick n rolls, not the robotic soft screen then slow moving big who doesn’t even get looked at by the guard bullshit Shaka has run every damn year. 

chris farley yes GIF

35 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

our guards also suck at using a screen correctly. in fact our bigs often suck at running it crisply/correctly themselves. this is a constant under Shaka in several different areas- repeatedly sloppy execution of basic basketball plays/concepts, with no repercussions or corrections, as if Shaka doesn't even notice the complete lack of fundamentals. i can't count the number of times that i've watched a big set a weak-ass screen, only to see the ball handler half-assedly "take" the screen without ever even getting close to the screener, who himself is often already popping/rolling before the screening action has even been completed. 

there is an advantage in setting a moving screen, that's why it used to be illegal a long time ago. but that advantage is represented on a curve, and when you get to our level of "ole!" bullshit, it's actually a disadvantage to set a moving screen. you need to separate the defender from the ballhandler, and you can't really do that if you're primarily focused on flaring or rolling to take a pass. 

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Bringing this back on topic:

If GB3 shares Kai's desire on D, imagine what a terror these two will be on both ends of the court next season**.

** Assuming there is a next season and that Shaka doesn't fuck it up.

Kid can f'n ball. Although every highlight seems like an 18 year old playing in a 14 year old league. 

8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Bringing this back on topic:

If GB3 shares Kai's desire on D, imagine what a terror these two will be on both ends of the court next season**.

** Assuming there is a next season and that Shaka doesn't fuck it up.

Anyone else more impressed with his 3 point shooting than his driving and dunking skills? Some nifty pull-up, side-step, and step-back 3 point shooting. I hope he continues to focus on that to improve his NBA stock. Aside from that, I hope he can start collegiate strength and conditioning training sooner rather than later. Damn pandemic.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It drives me crazy how Febres starting is just common knowledge. He’s not a top 7 player on the team. Keep him on the bench and cut his minutes in half. Jones and Ramey both deserve to start over him. Cunningham and Hamm should be off the bench before him. 

There ain't no way short of miraculously turning into a senior year version of Buddy Hield that Febres starts next season. 

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

but, but Shaka tells him he's the best shooter in the country every day!

He's a pretty good shooter, but sitting in the corner and waiting on a shot for 26 seconds each trip down the floor isnt the best way to get into a rhythm. The fact that we've never seen him come off of a down screen in his 3 years on campus is fucking amazing. 

We haven't really run in transition since Shaka got here... last year (every year) our guards were pretty bad about pounding the ball without moving it around... I fear GBrown is going to be encouraged by Shaka to work on his 3-point game, rather than using and further developing his potential as a player who can elevate and get to the basket.  If there is a time to change things up and get the hell away from the lame offense we saw for the 1st 2/3rds of last season, it's now.  Coleman, AJ/Ramey, Cunningham, GBrown, and Simms would be my choice for starters unless one of them total drops off in what they have show to date.  Bring in Kai, Hamm and Williams if any of those guys quickly are out of sync.  Hepa, Febres/Lidell would be my last guys off the bench, but I'd let them stay in for extended time if they were playing strong.  Baker is an enigma.  Test him in the early games to see if a year of college workouts has helped.  If he's still horrific on defense and wants to only shoot James Harden bombs, sit him next to the scrubs at the end of the bench.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 1:49 AM, UDontKnow said:

Anyone else more impressed with his 3 point shooting than his driving and dunking skills? Some nifty pull-up, side-step, and step-back 3 point shooting. I hope he continues to focus on that to improve his NBA stock. Aside from that, I hope he can start collegiate strength and conditioning training sooner rather than later. Damn pandemic.

I watched him at a game in Frisco on Thanksgiving weekend where he hit four threes and threw down a between-the-legs dunk in transition...in the first ~5 minutes of the game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 2:22 AM, Goo Punch said:

Wow I wouldn’t have thought he’s that low. I would think he’s at least on the level of Kuminga but I guess I didn’t realize Kuminga was that high. Regardless GB3 is one of the 3 most athletic guys on that list and can really improve his stock if he keeps improving his handle and shows high energy on defense.

• 5 months later...

bumping because this guy is going to blow everyone's nips off during his one year on campus and we're less than a week away from his debut. he should be the best, most impactful freshman we've had since DJ and KD in '07, and that's saying something considering the guys we've had come through here in that time. he's a human highlight reel in the open court, and i just hope that our HC has enough sense to get this team up and down as much as possible. the only thing that can stop GB III from shining is our head coach. 

39 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

bumping because this guy is going to blow everyone's nips off during his one year on campus and we're less than a week away from his debut. he should be the best, most impactful freshman we've had since DJ and KD in '07, and that's saying something considering the guys we've had come through here in that time. he's a human highlight reel in the open court, and i just hope that our HC has enough sense to get this team up and down as much as possible. the only thing that can stop GB III from shining is our head coach. 

I hope you are right but remember the competition just got a lot better.

I think it will take him a bit to get adjusted to college basketball.

5 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Outside shot needs lots of work. Ball starts

behind his head on jump shots. Looks terrible. 

I don't understand how a top player gets to the college level without someone teaching him how to shoot.

You'd think that they would say... This is so that you get drafted In the Top 3 rather than #6 through #10... or worse. It doesn't matter if your percentage is a little lower in your one year at UT, but this will pay off in the long run. Here is how you shoot the fucking ball.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I don't understand how a top player gets to the college level without someone teaching him how to shoot.

You'd think that they would say... This is so that you get drafted In the Top 3 rather than #6 through #10... or worse. It doesn't matter if your percentage is a little lower in your one year at UT, but this will pay off in the long run. Here is how you shoot the fucking ball.

It’s hard to tell an elite level basketball player that they need improvement in one area or another. Shit, it’s probably hard to tell an elite level athlete anything at all. I can’t imagine how easy the game is for these young people. Greg probably goes into the gym and cans 10 three pointers in a row with his weird ass form. You think he’s going to completely revamp anything regarding his shot after what happened to Markelle Fultz? 

53 minutes ago, Kermit said:

It’s hard to tell an elite level basketball player that they need improvement in one area or another. Shit, it’s probably hard to tell an elite level athlete anything at all. I can’t imagine how easy the game is for these young people. Greg probably goes into the gym and cans 10 three pointers in a row with his weird ass form. You think he’s going to completely revamp anything regarding his shot after what happened to Markelle Fultz? 

That was the awesome dunk?

If not, I have no idea who Markell Fultz is. 

If it was the UTRGV player, I’m glad that refs didn’t call the hook or the forearm shiver delivered right before he charged the guy, because it was awesome to watch. 

29 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If it was the UTRGV player, I’m glad that refs didn’t call the hook or the forearm shiver delivered right before he charged the guy, because it was awesome to watch. 

Are you blind? Defender was in the restricted area and left his feet. There is zero point zero chance that was a charge. TF?

33 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Really? You have no idea who Markelle Fultz is?

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I maintain Fultz was a psych case that had little to do with adjustments to his shooting form. There are several counter examples of guys that did embrace a change and improved. Jason Kidd and hell, Lonzo Ball, are the immediate ones that come to mind.

Just now, Llogg said:

I maintain Fultz was a psych case that had little to do with adjustments to his shooting form. There are several counter examples of guys that did embrace a change and improved. Jason Kidd and hell, Lonzo Ball, are the immediate ones that come to mind.

No doubt. However, they changed their stoke in the NBA under the watchful eye of people who know what they’re doing. Kawhi Leonard is another example of someone who came in and did the work to become an all-world shooter. Also fuck Kawhi Leonard. I think it’s best for these dudes like Greg Brown to wait until they get to that stage for any massive tinkering. 

• Hook 'Em 1