Debt collection - Dell Children's

Had to put a kid in the Dell ER 18 months ago. The bill comes and it has some charges on it for doctors we never saw and procedures we never got. Called in to Dell to attempt to get an explanation for the bill multiple times but nobody with a brain would ever talk to me. Was promised callbacks from a manager that never came, yada yada.

Fast forward to today and we've been sent to collections. I understand how that game is played and I'm capable of handling a collection agency.

My question is - are there any ramifications back on the Dell side? I don't want to show up with a sick kid someday in the future and be turned away because Dell now thinks I'm a deadbeat.

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I believe if a collector has it they have already sold your debt for pennies on the dollar - someone in the field correct me if I'm wrong.

ERs are obligated to treat all regardless of ability to pay.

You good.

That’s changed a bit after 2010/12. 

I’d request they “validate” the debt in writing then weigh your options if it’s legit.  The burden of proof is on them which is why you sign so much BS when admitted.   

4 hours ago, RPM said:

And welcome to the world of ER billing. You'll get bills from doctors you never saw sometimes from cities you've never been to, but they sent your file there for consult. ER's are hell.

It really is mind numbing how screwed up the medical billing process is. So much smoke and mirrors and you feel like they're trying to trickfuck you for thousands of dollars in my case with zero explanations available.

7 minutes ago, Bill Clay said:

It really is mind numbing how screwed up the medical billing process is. So much smoke and mirrors and you feel like they're trying to trickfuck you for thousands of dollars in my case with zero explanations available.

When you have a sick kid you don't ask how much will this cost, you ask how fast can you fix this? Sorry Surly Docs out there, but the medical industry knows this and takes full advantage. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It's annoying.  Went for an upper endoscopy.  One bill from the facility, another from the Dr, another from the anastheiologist.

Is this unique to Dell Children's? I just had a procedure there last week and they did this to me. The surgeon had a "surgery coordinator" or some shit that told me the surgeon's cost and that I had to call the anesthesiologist for their cost. So I was figuring that was total cost between those 2. Then the hospital calls the day before to collect a 2700$ facility fee that I had not heard anything about. 

You would think a fucking surgery coordinator could at least give me a heads up that that would be part of the surgery cost.  

Is this unique to Dell Children's? I just had a procedure there last week and they did this to me. The surgeon had a "surgery coordinator" or some shit that told me the surgeon's cost and that I had to call the anesthesiologist for their cost. So I was figuring that was total cost between those 2. Then the hospital calls the day before to collect a 2700$ facility fee that I had not heard anything about. 
You would think a fucking surgery coordinator could at least give me a heads up that that would be part of the surgery cost.  

Not unique to Dell. One of the best services our firm offers as part of our healthcare benefits is a lawyer to fight medical facility charges. I didn’t appreciate until I had an ER visit and follow-up surgery about 2 years ago. The lawyer has saved me about $20k, and they are still, 2 years later, fighting with Travis County EMS over what an ambulance ride should cost. Regular Joe walking into a hospital is screwed.
  • Like 1