Jump to content
Parliament

The short and long term socioeconomic effects of Covid 19

Recommended Posts

This is america  literally no lesson will be learned, maybe there will be a few weeks of folks treading lightly, but soon we will be back to fat ass over consumption of shit coupled with a ton of cloak room statements about socialism and capitalism.  This country struggles at learning lessons, shit we have governors saying stay the fuck home, while simultaneously watching a dude drink beer from the ass crack of some blonde he just met.  I mean fuck yeah,  but still.  The economy will flat out shit itself worse than 08 unemployment will come, big business who failed to prepare will be bailed out cranking up moral hazard, but hell if we dont bail them out the 3rd and 4th order affects of shut downs roll down hill.  

 

I do hope like fuck that manufacturing and reliance on foreign chinese bullshit slows and comes home, but unlikely.  This will be a classic case study and in political, and economic text books for years to come 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

... the public isn't going to let the government do that ...

So we haven't crossed the Rubicon yet?  #Iwanttobelieve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This leads into what I really expect to be the lasting economic legacy - corporate governance.

There are going to need to be bailouts and the public isn't going to let the government do that without attaching real strings in relation to worker and consumer protections. Also, the boomers aren't going to be unilaterally leading the recovery with their shortsighted approach of doing everything to maximize short term gain. I think you'll see some sort of shift away from the Jack Welch approach that's dominated the past 30-40 years.
Corporations are more subject to, and responsive to employee and investor activism. The rich white aholes at Blackrock of all people are divesting from their coal positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corporations are more subject to, and responsive to employee and investor activism. The rich white aholes at Blackrock of all people are divesting from their coal positions.

I dont disagree, but the calculus changes when they're publicly asking for money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This is america  literally no lesson will be learned, maybe there will be a few weeks of folks treading lightly, but soon we will be back to fat ass over consumption of shit coupled with a ton of cloak room statements about socialism and capitalism.  This country struggles at learning lessons, shit we have governors saying stay the fuck home, while simultaneously watching a dude drink beer from the ass crack of some blonde he just met.  I mean fuck yeah,  but still.  The economy will flat out shit itself worse than 08 unemployment will come, big business who failed to prepare will be bailed out cranking up moral hazard, but hell if we dont bail them out the 3rd and 4th order affects of shut downs roll down hill.  

 

I do hope like fuck that manufacturing and reliance on foreign chinese bullshit slows and comes home, but unlikely.  This will be a classic case study and in political, and economic text books for years to come 

I don’t think most of the manufacturing will come back but I sure hope we take control back of our pharmaceutical supply chain. If we don’t we deserve whatever fucking we get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Suicide today at my wife's work.  I fear that many more will touch all our lives in this time.

That sucks.  Between fears for the future, depression over the present and just the crushing weight of isolationism for people not used to it, I expect there will be a lot of this in the near future.  Stay strong folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont disagree, but the calculus changes when they're publicly asking for money.

Oh I definitely agree there should be strings attached.
Suicide today at my wife's work.  I fear that many more will touch all our lives in this time.

This crisis is pulling at all of the stray threads in our relationships, and empowering our demons for sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Suicide today at my wife's work.  I fear that many more will touch all our lives in this time.

Sorry to hear man.  Is it suspected that there was a correlation to this whole fiasco?  I certainly hope not and sincerely hope it is just a terrible coincidence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Oh I definitely agree there should be strings attached.This crisis is pulling at all of the stray threads in our relationships, and empowering our demons for sure.

 

It's gonna be hard as hell on a lot of people.  We all need to do our best to stay in touch with the people we know may be most vulnerable.  Just set aside a half hour to talk and connect, if you can.  Let them know that they are not alone in their fears, their loss, their anxiety.  At this time of acute separation, a reminder that we are not alone may be the thread that we can hang onto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 6:27 PM, EuroHorn said:

Toilet paper becomes the preferred global currency.  Wallets become larger to accommodate 

JNCOs only seemed ridiculous back in the 90s.  In reality they were just ahead of their time.

JNCO

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep.  I became a first-time user of Facetime last Tuesday and not it's the only way I fly.  It's so much better than just talking.  With everyone at home, you can call them any time of day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, bernorange said:

That sucks.  Between fears for the future, depression over the present and just the crushing weight of isolationism for people not used to it, I expect there will be a lot of this in the near future.  Stay strong folks.

its going to be a massive problem. the complete vacuum of any strong leadership is just making it worse. and then modern information feed that is effectively chaos isn't helping

massive problem. 

i am on day 9 of self Q. either my wife or I is in a mood. thats either grumpy, sad, sobering, angry you name it. and we have resources for the most part. 

in the US you have so many edges that people are getting pushed over. so many. good luck to you bern. hope you are doing your best my man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t think most of the manufacturing will come back but I sure hope we take control back of our pharmaceutical supply chain. If we don’t we deserve whatever fucking we get. 

This right here. If the conspiracy China virus was created as a weapon and all our pharm comes from them they could shut it down and we’d be F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, staboner said:

... my wife ... is in a mood. thats either grumpy, sad, sobering, angry you name it. ...

matrixmorpheushowouldthatbedifferentfromanyotherday.gif

j/k

Thanks for the personal well wish.  I'm doing fine, thanks.  I went through my existential crisis circa 2007/2008.

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In the main MEGAthread I guessed 8 weeks of fairly strict precautions like bars not being open.  8 weeks from March 14th when things got more serious with bar closures etc...


I think May 1 is the date. Significant amounts of small businesses will NOT reopen if it goes beyond May 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think this lasts much longer than most people are thinking. The social distancing will flatten the curve but the moment we do away with it and open everything back up it’s going to flare up all over again maybe worse than the first time. There will be multiple waves of it and people will get it more than once.  I think we see this way of life until the vaccine comes out a year or so from now.
And when it’s all over with everyone will revert back to their original way of life. No one will save more, governments will still operate the same way they always have, priorities will be in the wrong places, and it’ll happen again a few years later.  But we’ll have more masks and ventilators on hand for it next time.  That’ll be the big crowning achievement touted by our leaders... “Look how much better prepared we are this time!  We have a billion masks!” as everything else collapses again. 
 
There will be a generation of people who are made aware of this time but don’t truly learn the lessons from it. Just like the baby boomers with the great depression. Their parents lived through it but they didn’t. Those lessons learned don’t last more than a generation. 


If this is the way of life for a year, then we will be incomplete economic collapse and the death toll from that will be MuCH greater than the fucking virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

 


If this is the way of life for a year, then we will be incomplete economic collapse and the death toll from that will be MuCH greater than the fucking virus.

 

yep. this needs to be all engines a go for like a month at the top end. then its time to take measure and try to get things moving again. there will be tons of damage from that month, but at least people have the chance to live with some hope for a better time. shit they need to say its a month tops. it can' be day to day or week to week - that will cause even more anxiety. its like we need leadership or something. ha! hang in there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yep. this needs to be all engines a go for like a month at the top end. then its time to take measure and try to get things moving again. there will be tons of damage from that month, but at least people have the chance to live with some hope for a better time. shit they need to say its a month tops. it can' be day to day or week to week - that will cause even more anxiety. its like we need leadership or something. ha! hang in there


Leadership, funny.

Seriously though, it would be great for those of us under restriction to be told, “yeah, we know this is tough, so we need everyone to do it until April 20 (or even April 30). At that point, we will move to more pointed measures.”

You have to give people hope, and that shit isn’t happening at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t think most of the manufacturing will come back but I sure hope we take control back of our pharmaceutical supply chain. If we don’t we deserve whatever fucking we get. 

Won't happen. We value shareholder returns over labor costs and even American wellbeing. Other countries can produce drugs more affordably. Some of them while even paying a living wage. We can't.  

Nobody that owns a US drug patent gives a shit about you.  Wake up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Won't happen. We value shareholder returns over labor costs and even American wellbeing. Other countries can produce drugs more affordably. Some of them while even paying a living wage. We can't.  

Nobody that owns a US drug patent gives a shit about you.  Wake up.

We produce items here that we believe to be in our national security interests when it comes to war fighting. We have strategic oil reserves. We do a lot of stuff for national security. I’m not saying med manufacturing will play out that way but it wouldn’t be unprecedented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how this affects marriages already on shaky ground. If spouses are already in an unhealthy place, what happens when you throw in days confined together at the house, kids out of school for months, uncertainty of future employment, etc.?  If could cause couples to come closer together, but might rip apart other marriages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I wonder how this affects marriages already on shaky ground. If spouses are already in an unhealthy place, what happens when you throw in days confined together at the house, kids out of school for months, uncertainty of future employment, etc.?  If could cause couples to come closer together, but might rip apart other marriages.

Before CONVID, we called that "having a baby"....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone wants to dress like Lebowski.

The number of sold-out tracksuits rose 36% from Jan. 1 through March 16, compared with the same period a year ago. The number of sold-out sweatpants is up 39%, while the number of bathrobes that are out of stock increased 29%.

 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-crisis-reveals-retail-haves-and-have-nots-11585047603?mod=business_lead_pos5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 6:59 AM, South Austin said:

I wonder how this affects marriages already on shaky ground. If spouses are already in an unhealthy place, what happens when you throw in days confined together at the house, kids out of school for months, uncertainty of future employment, etc.?  If could cause couples to come closer together, but might rip apart other marriages.

Sex...to save the relationship?  

-Jerry Seinfeld 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...