Trump - Why I still support him ! #maga

tx 3 putt

Was strongly never Trumo on TOS and didn’t vote for him (McMullen as a write in). Won’t bite for him this time. Sat out primaries. Think he’s a terrible human being. 

That said- I’m beginning to think he’s genius level at knowing who and how to pick a fight to come out ahead. I find myself rooting for him in some of these press dustups and then feel sleazy afterwards for “being on his side”. I will momentarily forget what a shit heel he is as whatever moron he’s getting into it with is twisting around the point he’s bumbling through into something it’s not. 

I could see how those exchanges give partisans enough to feel good about standing with him. Best I can offer to answer the OP

• Like 1

Ok.  Now what?
Any sane person would take the Obama response, and results in a heartbeat over what's on the way under President Pumpkin.
Obama (H1N1):
- April 15, 2009...first case of H1N1 in US
- April 21, 2009...CDC begins work on vaccine
- April 24, 2009...CDC uploads complete gene sequence of the virus to a publically-accessible international influenza database.
- April 26, 2009...Obama declares national health emergency
- April 28, 2009...CDC's H1N1 test kit approved
- June 11, 2009...WHO declares H1N1 a pandemic
- July 22, 2009... vaccine enters clinical trials
- September 15, 2009...four vaccines approved
153 days from first case to vaccine
Trump (COVID-19):
- January 21, 2020...first US case
- January 29, 2020...task force created
- January 31, 2020...bans foreign citizens who'd been in Chine within 14 days of arrival, from entering the US... Americans are still able to travel freely back and forth to China
- March 3, 2020...instead of using established international testing guidelines, CDC tries to create it's own test.  It fails, so CDC allows private labs to make there own
- March 11, 2020..WHO declares coronavirus a pandemic
- March 13, 2020...Trump declares national emergency
....to be continued

Now do dates on the 22 million people with h1n1 who had it and 4,000 deaths.

Do the basic flu next. And blame trump too.

You have a lot of homework here!

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Nah, we'll stick with blaming Trump for his failure during this pandemic in particular and his failed presidency in general.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

You really think that 4,000 dead number for h1n1 is going to make Trump look good by comparison when this all finishes playing out?
I sincerely hope you’re right.   It seems awfully unlikely by every available metric and forecast, though.   We’re just in the beginning.
Did I say that? No.

Also, I saw today texas hit the double digit of 10 deaths. Somebody look up how many deaths happen on texas roadways per day and get back to me on road closures because of it. Apparently car wreck deaths arent important enough to close roads.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Did I say that? No.

Also, I saw today texas hit the double digit of 10 deaths. Somebody look up how many deaths happen on texas roadways per day and get back to me on road closures because of it. Apparently car wreck deaths arent important enough to close roads.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's going to be like this for a while, so strap in. 

40 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Did I say that? No.

wow, you know i never really thought about car accidents. these two situations are nearly identical. why has no one pointed this out to me yet?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

They’re exactly analogous.  People voluntarily choose to use cars for transportation, just like people voluntarily choose to become infected with coronavirus.

Plus, the mortality rate of coronavirus is much lower as long as you calculate it when the outbreak starts before anyone has time to die from it and before hospitals get overwhelmed.

no no no, the freeways are the hospitals. and trust me, around 5:30pm, they are over-fucking-flowing. same same. 

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Did I say that? No.

Texas now has 15 deaths. What percentage of cars on the road result in a fatality each day?

COVID-19 cases in Dallas County took a massive jump from Tuesday to Wednesday with 78 new cases of the virus confirmed along with the county's sixth and seventh deaths.

County health officials said the additional cases brings the county's total number of infected to 247, an overnight increase of 46%.

Edited by zzzz

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Did I say that? No.

Stanco you were doing fine, not great, but coasting along...then BOOM - full retard.  Never go full retard, Stanco.  

• Like 4

The car analogy works in only the very limited sense that it shows we as a society are perfectly willing to trade a large-ish number of deaths for our convenience and economic well being. To the extent I hear anyone talking in those terms I nod my head and agree. That was the gist of what I thought he was saying but maybe I misread him. 

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Did I say that? No.

You are a fucking imbecile. A true troglodyte. I hope you didn't go to UT. 

• Like 1

The only thing I like about Trump was the way he went through the field of Republican candidates four years back.  Now, Trump is the Jaws mayor saying "Come on out to the beach, everybody!" and raising hell with Chief Brody because someone (the sane media) drew a big shark fin on the tourist billboard.  This is NOT the right Easter to pack churches.  I hope the White House doesn't host an Easter egg hunt.  Time for common sense.  Learn from South Korea.

He's simply not cut out for this.  He's the exact wrong person for this job (never more so than now) and at the exact, wrong time.  Even in the midst of an international crisis his thoughts and actions are driven solely by his need for approval and increasing his re-election chances. He has failed at every opportunity to lead because he doesn't know how to.  His whole life he's always managed to lie, cheat, or scam his way out situations and he's finally met his match.

• Like 8

IMO, it is tricky to begin comparisons between COVID-19 and H1N1 when data on COVID-19 is still being sourced and examined. When all is said and done, COVID-19 may prove to be less fatal overall from one perspective, but not in others if that makes any sense. As in the case with cars, I disagree that one can simply point to fatalities and say, "See, this one kills more people." To me, it is more complicated than that. For example, if you are going to go off the ranch and bring up fatalities and other events, about the same number of Americans die each year of the effects of air pollution as do automobile accidents. And funnily enough, automobiles contribute to air pollution and both of those are tied up in policy decisions and economic decisions.

Whew, sorry for going off topic.

Which specific policies that Trump has begun do you support? Is it tariffs, healthcare, loosening drilling and EPA regulations? Tax cuts? Foreign policy with respect to Russia?

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We trade deaths by automobile  in exchange for the benefits of using automobiles.   What are the benefits of the coronavirus spreading?

Not benefits of spreading the virus- benefits of engaging in economic activity and in maintaining our normal personal liberties. Reducing the spread of the virus obviously has a tremendous cost. There are all sorts of things we decide in our daily lives or collectively as a country that have very very very very small relative costs that we are unwilling to pay collectively or individually. 

If you are using one of those examples to make the limited point that we cannot ignore one side of this equation I don’t mind that at all/ but yeah- the analogy falls apart very very quickly. 

There is an equation (implicitly and I acknowledged by many, explicitly for people like actuarials or trial lawyer types where we put a value on a human life and decide if it’s worth saving. If we didn’t society literally couldn’t function. It’s not an amoral or evil way to look at the world- it’s actually necessary to promote the greatest good. Anyone who doesn’t acknowledge this cost benefit approach is thinking in a childish or irrational manner. I’ve never seen more people argue against the existence of rationality of a cost benefit analysis than I have during this crisis. I’m NOT saying we aren’t handling this thing the right way (I think we are probably a bit overly restrictive right now but that’s something I think that I think not something I’m pounding a table making policy advocation for) but I am saying I’m surprised at the lack of voices balancing the let’s save lives at all costs. I mean- we put an explicit or implicit cost on everything in this world- this should be no different 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There is an equation (implicitly and I acknowledged by many, explicitly for people like actuarials or trial lawyer types where we put a value on a human life and decide if it’s worth saving. If we didn’t society literally couldn’t function. It’s not an amoral or evil way to look at the world- it’s actually necessary to promote the greatest good. Anyone who doesn’t acknowledge this cost benefit approach is thinking in a childish or irrational manner. I’ve never seen more people argue against the existence of rationality of a cost benefit analysis than I have during this crisis. I’m NOT saying we aren’t handling this thing the right way (I think we are probably a bit overly restrictive right now but that’s something I think that I think not something I’m pounding a table making policy advocation for) but I am saying I’m surprised at the lack of voices balancing the let’s save lives at all costs. I mean- we put an explicit or implicit cost on everything in this world- this should be no different 

How do you feel about them Obama Death Panels now?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We trade deaths by automobile  in exchange for the benefits of using automobiles.   What are the benefits of the coronavirus spreading?

Also, it is important to look at auto deaths not just in relation to something like slowing the speed limit.  Use of seat belt, DUI, Driving while texting easily account for more than 50% of deaths and are entirely avoidable. 

13 hours ago, markstanco said:

I hope to god that you have a caretaker. I don't see how someone this dumb could get by day to day without accidentally drowning himself while taking a shower or something.

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The economy, dummy!  Some nebulous resurgence that's sure to occur if we just insure that the virus spreads. 🤬🤬

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not benefits of spreading the virus- benefits of engaging in economic activity and in maintaining our normal personal liberties. Reducing the spread of the virus obviously has a tremendous cost. There are all sorts of things we decide in our daily lives or collectively as a country that have very very very very small relative costs that we are unwilling to pay collectively or individually. 

If you are using one of those examples to make the limited point that we cannot ignore one side of this equation I don’t mind that at all/ but yeah- the analogy falls apart very very quickly. 

Trump doesn't give a single solitary fuck about yours or my personal liberty.

He just wants to be re-elected and he's willing to engage in vivisection on the US population to help ensure that.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, ndawg said:

How do you feel about them Obama Death Panels now?

I’m a rationalist. I was never against them and said that is the only way to ever get health care costs down to a workable number. 

Refuse to allow a 98 year old to get a pace maker with their own money- I’m rioting and blood I’m the streets. She should be able to with her own money- it’s America and that’s her liberty. Society collectively deciding we aren’t paying for that?  Probably makes sense. Have that discussion collectively and make a collective decision- I’m all in favor of that. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Refuse to allow a 98 year old to get a pace maker with their own money- I’m rioting and blood I’m the streets. She should be able to with her own money- it’s America and that’s her liberty. Society collectively deciding we aren’t paying for that?  Probably makes sense. Have that discussion collectively and make a collective decision- I’m all in favor of that. 

Your hypothetical includes a very old person and a medical solution to a very well documented and researched health problem. Society has all the facts to make a decision. Now compare heart disease research with COVID-19 research. The gap is colossal. Your hypothetical also assumes that everyone who dies will be elderly or have pre-existing conditions, and we know that's not true.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Trump doesn't give a single solitary fuck about yours or my personal liberty.

He just wants to be re-elected and he's willing to engage in vivisection on the US population to help ensure that.

I mean- this isn’t something I don’t know as regards him, it’s part of why I wont ever vote for him (there’s so many good reasons to choose from) but if his interests in mot

leaving a smoking crater where once stood a decent economy align with mine I will cheer him on to the extent that he can get that done. Same as I’ve done with every president ever only one of who (W) I’ve ever voted for 

18 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Your hypothetical includes a very old person and a medical solution to a very well documented and researched health problem. Society has all the facts to make a decision. Now compare heart disease research with COVID-19 research. The gap is colossal. Your hypothetical also assumes that everyone who dies will be elderly or have pre-existing conditions, and we know that's not true.

That wasn’t a hypothetical related to corona. That was just literally me answering Najji’s question about Obama death panels. I think he thought it was gotcha question but, as I said, I don’t have any problem with them if it’s answering the question of how do we as a society collectively spend our scares dollars on health care. It’s appropriate. 

Its not at all corona related. It’s an aside to his aside. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- this isn’t something I don’t know as regards him, it’s part of why I wont ever vote for him (there’s so many good reasons to choose from) but if his interests in mot

leaving a smoking crater where once stood a decent economy align with mine I will cheer him on to the extent that he can get that done. Same as I’ve done with every president ever only one of who (W) I’ve ever voted for 

But you're cool with him leaving a smoking crater in our health care industry if he opens everything back up while infection rates are still high. 

Edited by mdmost

31 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We’re potentially looking at millions of deaths in this country if we say fuck it and let the virus freely proliferate in the name of keeping the economy going.   That is so disproportionate to the consequences of every other decision where we find the cost benefit analysis to be a close call that it’s absurd on its face to even consider.  We’re not even talking about permanently shutting down the economy and living in bunkers.  We’re talking about doing it for a month or two to try to save millions of lives.  

I have no idea what you are arguing against but it’s not anything I’m saying. I’m saying this entire world is a cost benefit analysis and to ignore that is irrational and childish. 

If it’s the potential death of millions of Americans and this is the only way to prevent this then sure/ the cost benefit analysis is overwhelmingly on the side of doing what we are doing  hell, if the argument is we just don’t know what’s in play so we should shut it all down to be safe bc the potential for harm is so great if it’s worst case scenario then I’m absolutely fine with that statement as well  no argument from me.  Let’s do this once,

collect our data, try to restart life and have a plan as narrowly tailored as possible, based upon our data, to come up with the least bad solution.  If what you come back with is we need to save every life we can, damn the cost of it, I will look at you with confusion and ask why this is different than 100 other situations where we collectively have decided that the cost of saving an additional life isn’t worth it  

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

But you're cool with him leaving a smoking crater in our health care industry if he opens everything back up while infection rates are still high. 

No- you are arguing against something I’m not saying. I’m not saying open up our economy right now or certainly by some magical and pointless day (Easter). I’m saying it’s prudent to do a cost benefit analysis at all times to figure out what the right thing to do is. And there are concerns other than merely our health care system. That said- weighing the potential detriments to the health care system argues very strongly for keeping everything on lockdown. 

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If hospitals are already saying they are low on supplies and at capacity on beds, why would it make any sense to open things back up before they at a minimum have the supplies they need?

Please show me where I said that. I didn’t. I specifically said that we need to do a cost benefit analysis and think in those terms. 

This is like arguing with my wife. 

Me- it’s the end of the world as we know it 

Her- that’s ridiculous the world isn’t coming to an end

Me- I didn’t say it was. I said many things about the world will be forever (at least for my life) different pre and post corona in the same way that 9/11 ended the world as we knew it and separated lots of things into a ore and post 9/11.   Or you know- the end of the world as we know it (now)

Edited by Wulaw Horn

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm not really arguing with you, but you did raise the personal liberty issue.  Which is sort of, at least theoretically legit.  I don't see too many people seriously griping about the infringement of their personal liberty and to think it enters Trump's calculus is foolish.

It's fascinating, but not too surprising, that a common complaint about modern politicians is that they are overly concerned about the next election and spend too much time pandering and soliciting donations.  Leave it to Trump to turn that up to infinity.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1) We need someone famous to die.  I think it is becoming more and more true that we only can understand what is right in front of our face.  Data from Italy doesn't do it.  Data from Spain doesn't do it.  Data [lulz] from China doesn't do it.  We need to see it. Two ways to do that -- neighbors of everyone croaking, or a famous person croaking that everyone can feel is their neighbor.  So, uh, thank you  for your service, Mr. Hanks.

2) Who says prayer doesn't work?  We've spent hours a day praying for stacks of dead boomer bodies come November 2020.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Please show me where I said that. I didn’t. I specifically said that we need to do a cost benefit analysis and think in those terms. 

This is like arguing with my wife. 

Me- it’s the end of the world as we know it 

Her- that’s ridiculous the world isn’t coming to an end

Me- I didn’t say it was. I said many things about the world will be forever (at least for my life) different pre and post corona in the same way that 9/11 ended the world as we knew it and separated lots of things into a ore and post 9/11.   Or you know- the end of the world as we know it (now)

I'm not saying you said it. I'm presenting you the reality of why we can't do cost-benefits right now. We're in week 2 of this thing and hospitals are already saying they are running short on supplies and beds in the ICU are going fast. So to me, there's no need to bother with even thinking the economy needs to be turned back out until May, at a minimum. 

And funny with the way you argue back while continuing to support someone who gives not one shit about this other than saving his ass in the next election. 

• Like 1

the fault or variable in these calculations also seems to lie in the assumption (hope hope) that this is a 2020 issue.  the covid might be around forever, but the thought is that by this time next year, we'll have some sort of effective treatment/vaccine.  or at least maybe fall 2021.

if someone said "every year moving forward, our country will be closing down from march 1st to may 1st and everyone will have to get used to it" then that would be a different story, and more of a long-term blow to the economic systems.  car accidents will always be a thing.  the yearly flu as well.  at least in the foreseeable future. 

if trump wasn't president, and this wasn't an election year, there wouldn't be such push-back.  he knows he needs a stable economy to have a chance, and it's just really inconvenient timing for him.  i almost feel bad.

Edited by henrygandorf
because edits
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Of course there is an implied cost benefit analysis.  You said you were “surprised at the lack of voices balancing the let’s save lives at all costs.”  It’s a simple answer.   The cost benefit analysis takes a millisecond to compute because it’s so obviously tilted in favor of the “don’t let millions of people die” side of the scale.   Casting doubt on that result or acting like it merits more thorough debate is ghastly.  

That’s not how I hear many people talking about it though, Which is my only point. I hear that there’s no step too drastic to take if it saves lives from many quarters. 

We are (or should be anyway) pot committed at this point to a shit down that probably needs to last between a couple weeks and a month- at which point in time hopefully we have enough data to tailor a more individualized plan to see what round 2 should look like. Because there will be a round 2. 

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Of course there is an implied cost benefit analysis.  You said you were “surprised at the lack of voices balancing the let’s save lives at all costs.”  It’s a simple answer.   The cost benefit analysis takes a millisecond to compute because it’s so obviously tilted in favor of the “don’t let millions of people die” side of the scale.   Casting doubt on that result or acting like it merits more thorough debate is ghastly.  

Fucking this. Without social distancing this spreads like wildfire. The immediate costs to the healthcare system alone merit extreme measures, without even considering the secondary effects uncontrolled spread would have on every aspect of our lives. We can keep critical supply chains open right now because social distancing helps protect the workers in those supply chains.

If we let this spread uncontrolled, America would effectively cease to exist as an organized society in six months if not sooner. We can all be fine sitting at home ordering food for a year or longer so long as the workers in critical supply chains are mostly safe. If they all started getting sick at once we'd be completely fucked. It is absolutely beyond insane for anyone to think that intelligently weighing the costs and benefits results in any conclusion other than "holy shit we have to shut nearly everything down right the fuck now for months until we can get widespread testing capacity built up or we're all going to die."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm not saying you said it. I'm presenting you the reality of why we can't do cost-benefits right now. We're in week 2 of this thing and hospitals are already saying they are running short on supplies and beds in the ICU are going fast. So to me, there's no need to bother with even thinking the economy needs to be turned back out until May, at a minimum. 

And funny with the way you argue back while continuing to support someone who gives not one shit about this other than saving his ass in the next election. 

Fuck man- reading comprehension how does it work. I didn’t vote for him. I won’t vote for him. I think he’s a thoroughly reprehensible human being. I said the magical Easter date is stupid (because to put a date on it clearly shows you aren't making a rational decision). 

I said to the extent where he thinks his interests in re-election align with my interests in the least bad thing happening for the country I will root for that outcome- even if it’s positive for his team-election prospects. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if trump wasn't president, and this wasn't an election year, there wouldn't be such push-back.  he knows he needs a stable economy to have a chance, and it's just really inconvenient timing for him.

I don't believe the usual 'bad economy = electoral defeat for the incumbent' is going to apply here.  The economic woes being tied to the pandemic response are providing cover.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fuck man- reading comprehension how does it work. I didn’t vote for him. I won’t vote for him.

The CR is a tough room.  Either get fully on board the hate train, or go fuck yourself Trumpkin. 

ETA:  I appreciate what you've had to say in this thread.  Thank you.

Edited by TriStone
  • Like 1