Anyone enjoying themselves?

Wulaw Horn

17 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Looks like fun but all my butter knives has bent tips from prying open cans of paint. 

Czech Guy shows you how to fix bent throwing butter knives. You bang the bent part between two rocks until it's sort of straight. Then you also have two rocks you can throw after you run out of butter knives.

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Czech Guy shows you how to fix bent throwing butter knives. You bang the bent part between two rocks until it's sort of straight. Then you also have two rocks you can throw after you run out of butter knives.

We're ALREADY at the "throwing rocks and butter knives" stage of this apocalypse?  Damn....I thought we had more time.  Seems we skipped right over the "let's all shoot each other and form roving bands of warriors" stage.

It's 11:45.  As I type this, I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts.  I've answered a few work emails, sent out a PDF to the rest of the proletariat concerning our current situation, and VPN'd to the work network to do some server updates.  No tape.

I did go outdoors to take the trash can to the street, since it's Tuesday (it's Tuesday, correct?).

Kids are upstairs, probably plotting at taking me down somehow.  Wife sitting over at counter, communicating with her cohorts in Alabama and Florida.

Think I'll have another Dr Pepper and pick up on the book I'm reading:

51xDGXFG+RL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I was not allowed to throw our butter knives, so I took the hatchet out back and chopped down various saplings at the fence line. One section of mulberry worked into a handy little spear. It is fun to throw the spear.

Chopping up various parts of the back yard to make extra garden beds. One area has a surprisingly deep layer of black earth. Maybe it was an Indian burial ground. We have a couple dozen pepper plants started inside, but I want to let them get a little bigger. Meanwhile I found all kinds of packs of seeds as much as 12 years old. I figure, fuggit, I'll dump them all on one of the beds and see what grows.

Have developed the ability to absorb information with no distraction of urgency. Used to be, if I had to talk on the phone, I was all let's get this damn call over with. Now, if somebody wants to talk, hell, why not, let's talk, it's something to do.

Last night surfing Youtube we found a young Hippy Man with Mr. Rogers mannerisms slowly doing presentations on basic Scottish Gaelic. We sat through three of them like infants drooling at King Friday. Gle mhaith, seo snog.

• Like 2

I presented my staff reduction plan to my boss's boss, as my boss is working from home as an "at risk" person. Big boss liked it, my boss loved it, so now I have 2 co-workers working remotely. I'm holding down the fort and doing the things that can't be done online. Maybe I'm a selfless, god loving guy. Or maybe I just wanted to be able to fart in my cube all day without remorse? The world may never know.

• Like 1

I'm going to kill myself (not really).  This should be a great time for me.  I'm really productive at home, I can avoid going in and not be absent.  I can power through my shit in fits and spurts and play guitar/watch movies/play video games.  Except it's been non stop work.  Customers going crazy, week long big quarterly planning meeting which is also an in place job audition (shift in responsibility earlier this year), a series of system migration efforts our team in the middle east is executing every week (so they're fucking on me as soon as I turn green in the morning).  I took a walk at noon and ate dinner with my wife at 6, otherwise I've been working all day and I need to shower and move to bed to be able to relax in time to fall asleep early enough for the morning meetings.  I'm going to be pissed when the pandemic shit causes a RIF and I get laid off anyways.

The local school PTA or whatever decided to liven things up in the neighborhood by piling their kids and family into their cars, at least 30 of them all decorated with signs and confetti, and drive through the streets honking and waving at the majority of us who went outside to look at the commotion. That at least was fun.

39 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I'm going to kill myself (not really).  This should be a great time for me.  I'm really productive at home, I can avoid going in and not be absent.  I can power through my shit in fits and spurts and play guitar/watch movies/play video games.  Except it's been non stop work.  Customers going crazy, week long big quarterly planning meeting which is also an in place job audition (shift in responsibility earlier this year), a series of system migration efforts our team in the middle east is executing every week (so they're fucking on me as soon as I turn green in the morning).  I took a walk at noon and ate dinner with my wife at 6, otherwise I've been working all day and I need to shower and move to bed to be able to relax in time to fall asleep early enough for the morning meetings.  I'm going to be pissed when the pandemic shit causes a RIF and I get laid off anyways.

Sounds very similar to me.  Getting a bunch of shit piled on me that is way outside my normal scope to try and keep the business afloat and will probably just end up getting laid off. Furk. 

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I have tons of unread books, the internet, Netflix, guitars, and a dog.  I could live like this for years.

I started working from home in November. This was my life until 2 weeks ago. Now my wife and daughter are both home all day every day. Life is full of cruel ironies. 

I’m doing well. I am an extrovert but grew up as an only child in a single parent family so I’m the Gen Xer all the memes love to talk about. I learned as a kid how to bury that shit and deal with being cooped up.

Only thing is the daily email from somebody I work with talking about the “new normal”.

Fuck this shit ain’t normal. I don’t need you to try and normalize it for me and make me feel better about things. I would rather you say, “hey this fucking sucks but let’s put our heads down do work and get through it together”.

First couple days weren’t highly productive.   Was in the process of opening a bunch of new investment accounts and writing a boatload of Key Person Life insurance when all this shit hit.  It’s pretty dried up for the time being.   Wife and I were enjoying hanging out, taking walks, etc.   

then the last three days happened.  

She’s 13 weeks pregnant now.  So shit is starting to get real (our first).  

She bought a pretty badass baby bed & dresser combo pack from a friend who’s moving.   Naturally, the fucker didn’t fit through the hallway doors so I had to take the bed back to the garage and take it apart, then move it inside and put it back together.  

today, we just had to go through every box and closet in the house and move/throw shit away.   She tried to throw 2 boxes of books away, my books, which were once on a bookshelf.   A bookshelf she got rid of because she wanted to move it to my office at work.  We now don’t have a bookshelf because the one that was at my office didn’t match our home decor (the one now in my office was stained to match our home decor).   It’s fucking maddening.  So now I have to move all my books to my office or leave them in the garage for nature to destroy. 

Aside from that, cooking is fun again 

Virtual Happy Hour appointments with Non-Co-Workers (think friends and family you don’t see all the time).

Yes I drink too many days of the week but I’m not drinking a lot during those days, if that makes sense. I do need to mix in some no alcohol days. Perhaps have happy hour yoga with Adrienne instead?

Had our first “3 outta 4 family members blowout.” The daughter decided to sit it out, while the wife and boy and I all fought with each other, all triangle-like. The boy was being a sullen, uncommunicative teen. We all yelled at each other earlier. I talked to him to try to sort shit out...and the wife got pissed at me for “speaking for her.”

Close-quarters tension, it’s already fun!

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Had our first “3 outta 4 family members blowout.” The daughter decided to sit it out, while the wife and boy and I all fought with each other, all triangle-like. The boy was being a sullen, uncommunicative teen. We all yelled at each other earlier. I talked to him to try to sort shit out...and the wife got pissed at me for “speaking for her.”

Close-quarters tension, it’s already fun!

Bourbon thread out back shoulda told ya.    

I pretty much had a blowout with the wife about the concrete ordeal.   She was saying it didn’t look pretty, and I’m half drunkenly like “it was a fucking $8 quickrete job done by your temporarily out of work/“working at home husband” who hasn’t done a lick of concrete work in 20 fucking years.   

She didn’t like that answer either 

Bourbon thread out back shoulda told ya.    

I pretty much had a blowout with the wife about the concrete ordeal.   She was saying it didn’t look pretty, and I’m half drunkenly like “it was a fucking $8 quickrete job done by your temporarily out of work/“working at home husband” who hasn’t done a lick of concrete work in 20 fucking years.   

She didn’t like that answer either 

Women do not appreciate accuracy.
  • Like 1

My day was good. After early lunch ( and no emails from customers) I went to the lake and did some fishing.  Got a few big crappie and will be having them on Sunday for lunch. 

Bad news is on the way home our fave restaurant looked completely shutdown. Looked on website and they aren’t doing take out. Fuck I am going to go into dt’s if I do t get good Mexican food. 

23 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Virtual Happy Hour appointments with Non-Co-Workers (think friends and family you don’t see all the time).

Yes I drink too many days of the week but I’m not drinking a lot during those days, if that makes sense. I do need to mix in some no alcohol days. Perhaps have happy hour yoga with Adrienne instead?

Holy shit.  My wife was doing yogo w/ this chick's videos.  She kicked me out of the room after 5 mins because I couldn't refrain from making comments in the voice of Butthead.   "She said buttocks... she said stick your chest out".

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Got up and cooked pork chop breakfast burritos for kids and we ate as a family and did a family bible study. Worked for a couple hours then swam with them for 45 minutes on my lunch hour, worked for another 4 or 5 hours, had dinner together, out the 4 YO down, read Harry Potter for 45 minutes with the big 2 and have been hanging out with wife for 2 hours as she drinks beer. Tomorrow likely looks the same. Absolutely nothing to complain about. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 10:30 PM, TexArcher said:

I have tons of unread books, the internet, Netflix, guitars, and a dog.  I could live like this for years.

Yep. Guitar came back out today, practiced some songs I haven't thought about since high school. Rereading some cool old paperbacks. Dog guards me and regulates my activities so I don't forget her mealtimes.

Had been digging extra garden beds, noticed that from upstairs they look like a fresh graveyard. Planted two rows of ancient radish seeds, get me some zombie radishes maybe.

• Like 1

i have a trove of vintage computing and electronics gear that has been collecting dust over the years. assuming my ass doesn't end up on a ventilator, i've got tons of testing and repair work on the schedule. 

fixed up an apple ii this week and have been playing rescue raiders quite a bit. what a great game.

rescue-raiders_1.gif

• Like 4

I posted earlier in the thread about the good moments, but I'm starting to feel like I'm fighting depression.  Sure I'm not alone in that.  Like others, work has become out of control.  I've been WFH for quite some time, so that's not it.  Its the continual pile on that has me dreading logging in.

Then there's just the fear and the unknowing.  I can distract myself from it in moments, like learning to longboard, or enjoying the Marvel movies with my son.  But then I spend way too much time reading the news and the main virus thread here.

And yeah, I probably should skip more than one or two nights a week of drinking beer.  I used to only do that on the weekends as a way of self-regulating.

Hope this thread counts as the mental health thread.  "Light" depression has been something I've fought a good chunk of my adult life.  And I haven't even lost folks close to me like some here to this virus,yet.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

After what started as a horrible day it got better. Took some time for myself, finally got a nap, and then walked to my favorite local restaurant (North Street for the San Marcos peeps) for some Butter Chicken and three pilsners to go. Tomorrow is a new day and I am looking forward to celebrating it by planting a small garden. 

Glad everyone is doing their best to stay sane and productive. 

• Like 1