Anyone enjoying themselves?

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

Do you go outside to get some sunshine and fresh air daily?  Go for a walk around the block, go jogging or work in a veggie garden - anything like that?

Yes.  Walking during lunch and doing the longboard thing after work with my son are the best things going on right now.  That, and I think I have to find a way to start checking on the news less often while still staying up with what's important.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I posted earlier in the thread about the good moments, but I'm starting to feel like I'm fighting depression.  Sure I'm not alone in that.  Like others, work has become out of control.  I've been WFH for quite some time, so that's not it.  Its the continual pile on that has me dreading logging in.

Then there's just the fear and the unknowing.  I can distract myself from it in moments, like learning to longboard, or enjoying the Marvel movies with my son.  But then I spend way too much time reading the news and the main virus thread here.

And yeah, I probably should skip more than one or two nights a week of drinking beer.  I used to only do that on the weekends as a way of self-regulating.

Hope this thread counts as the mental health thread.  "Light" depression has been something I've fought a good chunk of my adult life.  And I haven't even lost folks close to me like some here to this virus,yet.

Hey, just a thought but most work benefits include telemedicine and mental health resources. Maybe you can do like 5 sessions to talk to someone about your anxiety or light depression? Just a thought. Since you mention it being a condition that you have dealt with for a long time, it might be valuable to do this to keep it in check, as a preventative. Also, the days are getting more sunny and pretty so get on your bike and ride. The vitamin D and whatever else the sunshine provides on your bare head is therapy too.  Hang in there, bro.

• Like 2

I’m taking care of the kids school tomorrow. 

We are going to read a little from the sermon on the mount and they are going to write a summary paragraph about what was said and then an analytic paragraph about their life 

then we are going to do PE as swim in the pool

for

social studies we are going to watch America the Story of Us and they are going to write down 5 things they learned from watching it and one thing that they talked about that they want to learn more about for a later project,

then we are going to make some banana bread and work on our fractions. 

That seems like a good day where they should learn something. 

They are 9, 7, and 4. 

Where I said write for the big 2 the 4 year old will draw. She will be exempt from the math/fractions lesson. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I posted earlier in the thread about the good moments, but I'm starting to feel like I'm fighting depression.  Sure I'm not alone in that. 

I'm with ya, kids (10 and 7) are driving me nuts, I'm not used to being home this much. The wife and I were having issues prior to this, now.... drink till I pass out yet only getting a few hours of sleep a night.

My ass wasn't made for stay at home/ quarantine I need to be busy and doing things and  theres nothing to do around the house. If this last a month a 2 like some are projecting this wont end well for my sanity  

1 hour ago, Smax said:

I'm with ya, kids (10 and 7) are driving me nuts, I'm not used to being home this much. The wife and I were having issues prior to this, now.... drink till I pass out yet only getting a few hours of sleep a night.

My ass wasn't made for stay at home/ quarantine I need to be busy and doing things and  theres nothing to do around the house. If this last a month a 2 like some are projecting this wont end well for my sanity  

You should take one of my cards. 

• Like 1

One of my sons got a poster with the titles of the supposed 100 greatest movies of all-time. They are scratch-offs, like a lottery ticket. Watch the movie and scratch it off to reveal the logo to keep track of which you’ve seen.   Yesterday we knocked out Hunt For Red October, he’d seen it before but we rewatched it. Today was Platoon. In between that we are working our way through Hunters on Prime, and we did a little local mountain biking and hit some sweet jumps on the plywood bike ramp in the street out front. We added a couple 2x4s under it for extra height because he was only 11 when we built it and he needs more excitement now. I don’t do any work from home and he doesn’t have any school assignments yet so it’s just all playtime for us so far. 
I go back to work tomorrow. Meh. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 9:02 AM, Armybrat said:

We are doing ok, except for the damned roof rat/squirrel/critter that has moved in to the outside sofit above our breakfast room bay window. That sumbitch starts up with the racket at 8 or 9 in the morning and goes intermittently until sundown. It sounds like he’s moving furniture and/or playing rugby. I use the broom stick to thump on the ceiling in that corner or under the eaves outside. Sometimes his noise stops, sometimes not. Sometimes I feel like ventilating that corner of the house with my .22.

we have a recumbent exercise bike & a treadmill that we use three or four days a week. I like to stream Pachelbel’s Canon in D while riding in place. Very soothing. We have lost 5 pounds each this week, so there is that.

Son will come up tomorrow with his ladders to investigate the critter.. He and the grandsons will have to stay outside of course. That part really sucks, especially for Mrs. Brat. Now she is insisting on going to Costco Tuesday during the “olds” hours to get some frozen veggies and hamburger. I do not think we are in immediate need and disapprove of taking such a risk. We have ample gloves, wipes, tp, etc. and she knows to SD, but I still do not like it.

All the glue traps & snap traps my son put up inside the boxed eaves under the roof have failed to get the roof rat. The first day he set them the rat stepped in one glue trap and flopped into the other. Unfortunately it did not flop into the adjacent big snap trapand after a loud struggle managed to tear out of the glue traps ( leaving a lot of hair stuck in them). It was quiet for a day, then we noticed it rumbling around above the master bedroom corner of the house, so son came up and moved the traps to that area (new glue traps too)

goddamned thing has been moving around up there all week, albeit somewhat more quietly, but just enough to annoy the shit out of us half the day, evenings & early mornings.

don’t know really what to do next. That smart sumbitch apparently doesn’t like peanut butter.

Otherwise this self incarceration would be easily bearable.

Edited by Armybrat

19 hours ago, The University said:

i have a trove of vintage computing and electronics gear that has been collecting dust over the years. assuming my ass doesn't end up on a ventilator, i've got tons of testing and repair work on the schedule. 

fixed up an apple ii this week and have been playing rescue raiders quite a bit. what a great game.

rescue-raiders_1.gif

i had this as Armor Alley.  I think it might have been.... included in some "we can fit 100 games on this new media!" type disc when we bought a CD-ROM for our.... that machine might have still been running 3.1.

A few months back I found an old laptop (dads old work computer that I then had) that still booted up and had my snes emulator on it

p6jgt5Dyx3cFagsoASqwkV6AbFK9zTIUWsnGfJLm

• Like 1

I've had some fun the last couple of weeks day-trading highly volatile leveraged ETFs.  I wouldn't be able to do that from my office.

This is about the only "fun" I've had.  Going to wash my car today and leave it parked in the garage until this next batch of rain passes.  Some hate washing their car, for me it's pretty darn therapeutic so I'm looking forward to it.  Once I get that fucker all shined up I plan to mix up some margaritas and sit out in the backyard enjoying the day.  I'm easily satisfied.

Just vouchered my time - 60 hours last week and again this week.  I'm mostly fucking around today but of course had some stuff plastered into my out of office schedule that will be a bigger pain in the ass for me to miss than not.  I guess I should still count my blessings, but I haven't begun to scratch my "sit around and get bored" itch.

I am doubly glad, reading this thread, that I have a ramshackle farmhouse to resuscitate. I'd be fucking nuts right now if I lived in the middle of the city with no renovations, no garden, no bees, just me and the family, and an intertron full of bad news.

Sunlight cures all, though. I'm planting bee forage today (clover, wildflowers, etc.) No time for getting dragged down.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

All the glue traps & snap traps my son put up inside the boxed eaves under the roof have failed to get the roof rat. The first day he set them the rat stepped in one glue trap and flopped into the other. Unfortunately it did not flop into the adjacent big snap trapand after a loud struggle managed to tear out of the glue traps ( leaving a lot of hair stuck in them). It was quiet for a day, then we noticed it rumbling around above the master bedroom corner of the house, so son came up and moved the traps to that area (new glue traps too)

goddamned thing has been moving around up there all week, albeit somewhat more quietly, but just enough to annoy the shit out of us half the day, evenings & early mornings.

don’t know really what to do next. That smart sumbitch apparently doesn’t like peanut butter.

Otherwise this self incarceration would be easily bearable.

Have you checked your attic space for a nest?  In my old house I couldn’t trap the bastard until I found its nest in my attic above the garage made out of insulation.  I put a trap there facing the entry to its nest and camouflaged it with some insulation.  Got him the next day. 

Edited by Homercles

I used to work Mon-Thur, 10 hours per day but this shit has me back to 8-5 M-F. It's the first Friday I've worked in years, this blows. 90% of the office is at home, there's only 10 of us left up here. The phone is ringing off the hook with dumbasses asking their dumbass questions "It says 'enter your email address', what do I do???".  But what's funny is, I kind of like it. My boss is gone, nobody is here to annoy me (in person). It could be a lot worse, I keep telling myself

Routines are very helpful.  I was kind of lethargic and Netflixy the first week.  This past week has been much better.

Kids, wife, and I get our school work done during the morning and early afternoon.  My wife is usually in mtgs until 4, so I do yard work or ride my bike.  

Activities with the kids during the early evening - basketball, cycling, etc...

First glass or bourbon at 8.  Watch Top Chef or some other time waster with the wife.  Second glass at 9.  Happy, funtime with the wife.

At the end of February I took out a private loan to start going to a flight school and get my certs. Quit my job and was going to do lessons full time. Flight school is still open, but I’m now getting a job delivering pizzas so I can at least have health insurance. Definitely didn’t see foresee this.

happy I have a nice back porch and a corner store with cheap beer across the street.

• Like 2

At the end of February I took out a private loan to start going to a flight school and get my certs. Quit my job and was going to do lessons full time. Flight school is still open, but I’m now getting a job delivering pizzas so I can at least have health insurance. Definitely didn’t see foresee this.
happy I have a nice back porch and a corner store with cheap beer across the street.

And free pizza to live off of for the foreseeable future
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Got my car washed and got fucked up before 3:00.  It's been a good day.

Noticed I was a bit low on beer, but I got an HEB within biking distance so braved the virus-filled environment and did what needed to be done.

Yep, had to get out and figured better today than tomorrow. 18 pack of beer and 6 bottles for my pandemic roommate and think we are fine. Street was pretty empty except for a few bikers with their mommas on the back. Defrosted some nice pork for a pot of beans tomorrow. Now it is time to open a beer and toast those kicking ass in medical facilities around the country. 

• Like 1

Well right now I should be sitting in a bar in Park city wIth the son, daughter and SIL sipping a couple bourbons, thinking about whether to go to Shabu or The Flying Sumo, and  mapping out tomorrows ski itinerary.  

Instead I'm trimming out a new set of French doors, and side lites, and trying to get 3 set screws in a 35 year old shower enclosure to break free without stripping the screw head (liberally applied PB Blaster)...

yaaaaay me......

• Like 1

I filled up a full month of deals this week (and that’s super duper stretch goals) so I haven’t had much down time. Taking out all commute from my life and pretty much all personal hygenie that doesn’t involve swimming (chlorine kills everything- right) has freed up a bunch of time that I’ve repurposed to the kids- and not having to wake up at 6:00 am anymore to get them to school has given me (all of us really) the opportunity to stay up later so that’s great. 

I think I’m more or less through booking deals so now I have to work on my June revenue, and hope everything I put on my board sticks (narrator- it won’t), but yeah, 3 really good weeks since we went into isolation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh man.  I logged way too many hours on the first 2 Tony Hawks.  I still associate certain songs with it instantly.

In college I played White Stripes - Elephant over and over while I played Metroid Prime.  I cannot listen to that disc without seeing Metroid.