Anyone enjoying themselves?

Wulaw Horn

On 3/26/2020 at 6:46 PM, bernorange said:

Do you go outside to get some sunshine and fresh air daily? 

This is a must.  When I don't get out and about I feel like shit and am grouchy as hell even when things are actually going ok.  Yesterday was a prime example.

Today, I was outside from about 10:00 AM until 5:30 PM and never felt better.  Hotter than hell, but damn that Vitamin D tho.

• Like 2

Our 4 year old has been on the downward spiral since we pulled him out of daycare two weeks ago. After asking to go back (or go to the museum) for days, it's beginning to sink in that he's stuck with us for a while. I hope parks and the backyard can entertain him, since there's only so much TV to watch and he's already started fighting with his 1 year-old sister over toys. Had a meltdown right before bed tonight.

It doesn't help that his sister is finally moving into her "cute" phase. If we thought he was jealous before, I worry he's about to show us how bad it can get.

Wife and I are both mid-late 30s, but if either one of us ended up in the hospital with Covid, I don't think the other could go it alone. We don't have any family nearby.

• Like 1

Since business is slow and we're all wfh, our department has been doing things like sharing your baby pics and other cutsie crap via email. During a Skype meeting I made the comment that one girl looked like Jon Benet Ramsey.

Dark humor is lost on corporate America. 

• Like 7

Our 4 year old has been on the downward spiral since we pulled him out of daycare two weeks ago. After asking to go back (or go to the museum) for days, it's beginning to sink in that he's stuck with us for a while. I hope parks and the backyard can entertain him, since there's only so much TV to watch and he's already started fighting with his 1 year-old sister over toys. Had a meltdown right before bed tonight.
It doesn't help that his sister is finally moving into her "cute" phase. If we thought he was jealous before, I worry he's about to show us how bad it can get.
Wife and I are both mid-late 30s, but if either one of us ended up in the hospital with Covid, I don't think the other could go it alone. We don't have any family nearby.

Very similar situation here. 4yo girl who is loving all the extra time with mom and dad but the reattachment and missing pre K friends is causing outbursts/ breakdowns that were not near as bad before. Son who is 10 months doesn’t know the diff but takes up a lot of our time and there is some definite moments designed to grab our attention.

I try and take the 4yo on walks with the dog or just us often to help but looking at another few weeks of this is frightening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m enjoying no weekly business travel. Work is about 60% of normal. Days are pretty laid back. Right now I’m enjoying having very little to do.

On the downside I have a herniated disc and can’t really do any walking. The oppty to shed some tonnage may escape me as the “cure” is considered elective at this point.

It wasn’t to bad until yesterday.  The shit just got to me yesterday, for whatever reason.

Me and my ex are spilling up the week with our son, (just to break up the monotony for all of us).  And my son being Autistic, he doesn’t really fully grasp what is going on.  He gets it a little, but not fully.

But, he is getting bored as well.  And he loves school, so it’s getting tough to stay entertained.

The first two weeks were ok, we kind of treated the whole thing like a camp out.  Grilling at night, doing things outside, beer in cooler (for me of course), etc.

Also I’m still working 1/2 the week, mostly just until noon each day.  My company delivers Oxygen to hospitals, so we is how they say - essential.

Anyway, hope y’all are doing well.

• Like 2

I just started working from home this week.  My agency is just myself and another agent and a large majority of our business is done via phone and electronic signature,  so I decided to close down the office and save on utilities which begins to go up this time of year with the temps.    It's not like we got a lot of foot traffic to begin with and the last week it was zero other than the mailman to drop off the junk mail.   I put a sign on the door saying we are open but working from home and my office phone rings directly to my cell  phone during normal business hours, so no one will even know we are working from our homes.  

So far I think I've been a tad more productive at home vs the office for some reason.   I can't figure out why, but it might be what I need to kind of pull back and strategize on how to handle things going forward with the fallout and recovery from this virus thing.

My oldest is home from UTSA and my youngest (8th grader) are both doing on line work and my wife (no pics) offices from home during '"normal" times.    So the house is fairly quiet during the day with little distractions.    It's been a money saver to forcing us to eat in vs out and of course saving on fuel costs.  

I do miss my gym big time and haven't been able to really workout for two weeks.   I was able to borrow some weights and the gym owners are posting workouts which I will begin on Monday.   Still not the same thing, but will make lemonade out of lemons.   We also had a few three day weekend things to do up in the Hill Country that we had to cancel.....  that sucks.   

Edited by Nueces River Rat

On 3/27/2020 at 10:56 PM, NorthLoop said:

Since business is slow and we're all wfh, our department has been doing things like sharing your baby pics and other cutsie crap via email. During a Skype meeting I made the comment that one girl looked like Jon Benet Ramsey.

Dark humor is lost on corporate America. 

Hell, Many of them are too young to know who the fuck that is/ was.

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I just started working from home this week.  My agency is just myself and another agent and a large majority of our business is done via phone and electronic signature,  so I decided to close down the office and save on utilities which begins to go up this time of year with the temps.    It's not like we got a lot of foot traffic to begin with and the last week it was zero other than the mailman to drop off the junk mail.   I put a sign on the door saying we are open but working from home and my office phone rings directly to my cell  phone during normal business hours, so no one will even know we are working from our homes.  

So far I think I've been a tad more productive at home vs the office for some reason.   I can't figure out why, but it might be what I need to kind of pull back and strategize on how to handle things going forward with the fallout and recovery from this virus thing.

My oldest is home from UTSA and my youngest (8th grader) are both doing on line work and my wife (no pics) offices from home during '"normal" times.    So the house is fairly quiet during the day with little distractions.    It's been a money saver to forcing us to eat in vs out and of course saving on fuel costs.  

I do miss my gym big time and haven't been able to really workout for two weeks.   I was able to borrow some weights and the gym owners are posting workouts which I will begin on Monday.   Still not the same thing, but will make lemonade out of lemons.   We also had a few three day weekend things to do up in the Hill Country that we had to cancel.....  that sucks.   

What kind of agent are you? 

My first is just over 3 months now, and I was never really able to take any paternity leave, so I'm enjoying being home more for that.

I'm on the essential list (because lord knows developing and testing fun new toys for the military is essential), so I haven't been home full time, but certainly more than usual.

My daughter is at a good she where she sleeps pretty well and is generally happy. She also still gets all of her meals from my wife. I can't imagine having to store enough food to prepare real meals for multiple children like some of you. You have my respect.

Our only mini-crisis is that dumb shits keep buying out all the baby wipes thinking that they're disinfectants. We have a few days before things get critical.

• Like 2

Made homemade pasta sauce last night for the first time in years.   Have enough leftover that was able to vacuum pack portions for at least two more full evenings.   

College buddy of mine sent me a text last night about jumping on a zoom call with some of our fraternity brothers.  Got on the call and there were about 15 of us on it.  Most of us were half/all the way in the bag, laughing, telling funny ass stories from years ago, making fun of each other’s kids screaming in the background and shit like that.  Was really good catching up with a bunch of friends at once.  I’d recommend it 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

My first is just over 3 months now, and I was never really able to take any paternity leave, so I'm enjoying being home more for that.

I'm on the essential list (because lord knows developing and testing fun new toys for the military is essential), so I haven't been home full time, but certainly more than usual.

My daughter is at a good she where she sleeps pretty well and is generally happy. She also still gets all of her meals from my wife. I can't imagine having to store enough food to prepare real meals for multiple children like some of you. You have my respect.

Our only mini-crisis is that dumb shits keep buying out all the baby wipes thinking that they're disinfectants. We have a few days before things get critical.

Water wipes, the most ridiculously overpriced bullshit I’ve ever seen (Isn’t adding just water to paper cheaper than the other crap companies add like disinfectant?)...were available on Amazon last I checked.  

Not sure where you live and maybe you’re poo raggy but if you get stuck bad PM me you can have a pack of mine.  

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Water wipes, the most ridiculously overpriced bullshit I’ve ever seen (Isn’t adding just water to paper cheaper than the other crap companies add like disinfectant?)...were available on Amazon last I checked.  

Not sure where you live and maybe you’re poo raggy but if you get stuck bad PM me you can have a pack of mine.  

23 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Lil Joe Exotic?

You know I drove by that place every other weekend for years not knowing much about it.  Just saw a little sigh that said ‘exotic animal park’ and figured it was just some dude with a pen in his backyard with an ocelot or some shit.  Watching Tiger King now and it’s insane what went on there.  

• Like 1

Life has been pretty good at the CHIEF Compound. Our whole subdivision is surrounded by a bend in the Brazos River, only two ways in/out. We have our own grocery store, doctor's clinic, liquor store, deli, pharmacy, and bistro. Lots of SIP being taken seriously by the Olds. We have myself, Mrs. CHIEF, CHIEF Jr., my niece, her boyfriend , and 3 dogs cooped up in the house (that's the only bad). As of this week, everyone knows how to play "42", and my backyard looks like a WWI battlefield after the rains, and 12 hour Bocce Ball tournaments. If the lake clears up in the next couple of days, we are going to start fishing at the marina at night. It's big enough to be able to social distance while still fishing under the lights. Niece and CHIEF Jr. are taking their University classes on line for about 3 hours per day. I think we have left the subdivision about 4-5 times in the last 2-3 weeks. Avoiding our HEB for 3 weeks has been the hardest, and just going to the smaller, local grocery store.

CHIEF

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you aren’t doing health/life- I wonder if you come out better from this virus or worse from a claims perspective. I’d guess better but I could see it either way

Some life and health agents have seen an uptick in business. More so those who sell supplemental policies for hospitalizations and ICU and final expense guarantee life .  For my segment, the upside this is traditional renewal period for homeowners and autos since most people buy homes and auto during this time span through September.  But many are kind of in a holding pattern since this hit and just wanting to see how things work out the next few weeks.  I’ve had a few inquires to shop their homeowners during the last week, but it was down in general.  I was really looking forward to helping some of my Mortgage officer friends with their refinance and new loan business, but that’s kind of slowed down this last week.  Perhaps this next week it will pick up as more people who still have their jobs settle in and look at their budgets to see they are potentially missing out on some significant savings on their existing mortgages and with that, their insurance.   

• Like 1

I got out today and went after an oil change for my truck.  Took a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me and went to the local auto parts place.

Filled my basket with oil and the filter, along with some other stuff.  Was walking back towards the registers down an aisle, and one other man was there.  I had to cough (for the second time today) so I instinctively coughed into my elbow.  

Other man was unaware I was in the aisle with him; I'm maybe 15 feet from him when I cough.  He looked up suddenly with a scared look on his face, and moved away from me like I was carrying a gun.  I wasn't offended, and I'm not making light of the person wanting to take care of themselves, but damn if it wasn't funny.

9 hours ago, Iceman said:

Hell, Many of them are too young to know who the fuck that is/ was.

Yeah, I had no idea who that was.

As for me, I'm still working, but there is almost nothing to do but hide on the toilet for an hour til break. Then do the minimalist thing to look like I'm busy and then hide again. No reason not to just do 4/10 than a regular work week. I'm dying of boredom at work.

When I get home I go make a bean and rice filled meal for the girlfriend and me. I'm basically killing her lungs with my farts.

Edited by workswithseed

I think I have a decent grasp of how f'd the world is right now, but, we trudge thru it.

I apologize in advance, because in my current state-of-mind, my writing style is more stream of consciousness

I'm in my upper 50's, single dad

My 2 daughters (17, 14.....don't even bother asking for pics, pervs).....they flat-out refuse to speak to their mother, for going on 1 year (last year, they educated to me how f'd up their home-life was when they lived primarily with her.....that's being dealt with in family court).....their school district is on-line thru at least 4/17, but we all know it will remain that way for the duration.  Their school district inundates parents with emails about how parents can "participate" in their kids "learning experience," but GD, there's only so many f'ing hours in a day.

My oldest won't end up having her prom, or graduation - that'll probably be on-line, too......I feel quite sorry for her, but trying to keep her spirits up by pointing out that 20 years from now, her and her friends can laugh about being in the Covid / Corona Class of 2020.

My job is stable, but, we've gone skeleton crew thru next week.....we're considered "essential," but still took this step for safety sake.  I'm in management, so I continue working daily, and I'm salaried, but I worry what will happen to our hourly employees, as this carries on.  Funding for last week and this week is covered, but after that, they'll likely have to start dipping into their leave time, or what they have left of it.  On the good side, their positions are protected, but on the bad side, some will likely have to go LWOP if they don't have leave time.

I'm up at 5:30a M-F, work out, go to work, then get home about 6:30 - 7p.  By the time I get dinner ready, and they eat, it's like 8:30p.  I've had 2 pretty serious conversations with them about how they need to help-out keeping the house up and running (sweeping, dusting...shit like that).....it's really hit-and-miss...if they don't do it, I do - I'm a little OCD about cleanliness, and 2 girls and a dog = daily sweeping :)

Having said that, other that house-cleaning, overall, my kids are trustworthy, and good kids in general, so I just assume they've done what they're supposed to do for school.  I do ask about school stuff, they say they did what they're supposed to, so, I just assume...  I'm an f'ing dinosaur when it comes to technology, so I couldn't check up on that, even if I wanted to.

All-in-all, work is the "easy" part of the day, because I can just concentrate on work.

Home life is the craziest part of the day.....as I said, 17 & 14 year olds, getting cabin fever.  Hell, I've probably given them shitty parent advice, in that I've told them they still need to live life, and can get out-and-about when they want to...told them that if cops pull them over to see why they're not at home, just tell the cops they're headed to the grocery store.  GD man, can't live 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 2 months, confined to your f'ing house.

Sorry for venting.....this is just the crap running thru my head

• Like 4

It is why we are here right? So we have a place to vent. Similar story. Daughter is in her Senior year and her one concern is what will her freshman year in College look like. She plans on attending George Washington. Just do what you are doing. 

She takes the dogs out for a walk during the day and we are lucky a friend is staying with us which gives her a younger woman to talk to during the day. I set her up on Skype with a computer in her room so she can talk to her friends when doing school work on her laptop. But I can see the stress sometimes. 

Rock on. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

It is why we are here right? So we have a place to vent. Similar story. Daughter is in her Senior year and her one concern is what will her freshman year in College look like. She plans on attending George Washington. Just do what you are doing. 

She takes the dogs out for a walk during the day and we are lucky a friend is staying with us which gives her a younger woman to talk to during the day. I set her up on Skype with a computer in her room so she can talk to her friends when doing school work on her laptop. But I can see the stress sometimes. 

Rock on. 

Thanks for the "rock on,".....appreciated.

And yea, I left out the college part of this...of all things.  I tell my Senior the same thing, and that things will all work out just fine, in the long run (she damn sure won't be darkening the doors of GW, though....ha :) ).   I tell the Freshman the same thing.

They're good kids.....they hate me sometimes, I reckon, but they know I'm the parent they can rely on.....til whatever gets me, gets me!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, former alkie said:

Thanks for the "rock on,".....appreciated.

And yea, I left out the college part of this...of all things.  I tell my Senior the same thing, and that things will all work out just fine, in the long run (she damn sure won't be darkening the doors of GW, though....ha :) ).   I tell the Freshman the same thing.

They're good kids.....they hate me sometimes, I reckon, but they know I'm the parent they can rely on.....til whatever gets me, gets me!!

Brah, if they don't hate you sometimes you aren't being a good parent.  We always operated form the point of view if they were pissed we were doing something right.

• Like 2