Anyone enjoying themselves?

Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Brah, if they don't hate you sometimes you aren't being a good parent.  We always operated form the point of view if they were pissed we were doing something right.

Agree. I am in a very similar situation to Former. When you are the lone parent you are always the bad one. Gets rough sometimes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Agree. I am in a very similar situation to Former. When you are the lone parent you are always the bad one. Gets rough sometimes. 

Yeah I hear you. It's easier when you have two people for them to be pissed at.  Gotta fight the good fight though.

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah I hear you. It's easier when you have two people for them to be pissed at.  Gotta fight the good fight though.

For sure. And one thing I implemented early was a daily work out for her at the house. Set up a small gym out back for her to use. We brought her easel out back so she can paint in the evenings. We cook meals together at night and I let her do a lot of the meal planning. Hell, might as well teach her to cook some great meals before college. 

• Like 1

I'd be enjoying it more if I hadn't thrown my back out ten days ago. Went to take the garbage can in and noticed a big lizard at the bottom of the can. Reached in to get him out, and felt like someone shot me in my lower back. Living off Rundberg, it was possible I had been shot. No such luck. Bedridden for the past week and a half. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'd be enjoying it more if I hadn't thrown my back out ten days ago. Went to take the garbage can in and noticed a big lizard at the bottom of the can. Reached in to get him out, and felt like someone shot me in my lower back. Living off Rundberg, it was possible I had been shot. No such luck. Bedridden for the past week and a half. 

Bed ridden? You need to get up and move and exercise

Shit man. Bummer.

I left Houston 3 days ago with a nagging, week-long head and neck / shoulder ache due entirely to stress.  Blew a tire on trailer just east of Columbus on way to deer lease.  Someone swiped my 4 way tire iron so I was stuck and had to call road side service.  I fell asleep in truck halfway through my hour long wait.  

I woke after a brief 5 minute nap and had no headache and no neck / shoulder ache. Got tire replaced and back on the road  

Since then it’s been pure bliss loading protein feeders, mowing, building an electric fence, drinking whisky and delaxing.   

Leaving in morn for Houston but wish I could ride out C19 here.  Don’t need the stress. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Yeah, take more time after that to move. Lying in bed is not what you need to be doing. 

Lying down or standing upright are the only comfortable positions.

Sitting is a no-go.

Edited by Deej

I can have the same problem maybe once a year. It can be agonizing.

Lie on the floor on your back, grab your ankles and rock back and forth several times.

once in a while it might work to pop the lower back. Be very careful rolling over to get up.

there should be plenty of self help videos with similar suggestions.

Edited by Armybrat

18 minutes ago, Deej said:

Lying down or standing upright are the only comfortable positions.

Sitting is a no-go.

Here is a good stretch for lower back/sciatic pain.  

Put one foot on a chair at a right angle and you other fully extended on the floor.  Take the arm on the same side as the foot in chair, and stretch like you are going to touch the foot on the floor.   Hold it for 20 seconds.   Rest for 20 seconds, and repeat the stretch.  Do it 5 times.  

then switch feet and do the same thing.  

after that, do a straight leg toe touch stretch with both legs on floor.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deej said:

That lizard had it in for you. 

@Deej  - really sorry to hear about your pain.  I went through a similar ordeal a while back (posted about it on TOS).  I ended up having to get 3 steroid injections in 3 different spots to get things under control.  Don't mess around with back stuff.  See a doc.  Get MRI.  Etc.  Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

At the risk of outing myself, I ran a pub quiz for over ten years in Austin and retired a few years ago when the first kid came, as I knew my mid week shenanigans were coming to an end. We revived it this past Saturday night by streaming a pub quiz on Facebook Live. Really we just wanted to give folks an excuse to hangout with their friends (albeit virtually) for a night and serve as a distraction through all this. I didn't really hit me until afterward when I joined a few of the Zoom groups and saw friends throughout the country on their couches laughing and having fun with each other. Afterward I heard a lot of feed back that it was exactly what folks needed as it fed that sense of normalcy and camaraderie, it most definitely fed my wife and me as well. Hanging on to our friendships and finding some normalcy in this is beyond huge to me. We've decided to do this every Saturday as long as this shit lasts. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

@Deej  - really sorry to hear about your pain.  I went through a similar ordeal a while back (posted about it on TOS).  I ended up having to get 3 steroid injections in 3 different spots to get things under control.  Don't mess around with back stuff.  See a doc.  Get MRI.  Etc.  Best of luck to you.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Mr. Blutarsky said:

At the risk of outing myself, I ran a pub quiz for over ten years in Austin and retired a few years ago when the first kid came, as I knew my mid week shenanigans were coming to an end. We revived it this past Saturday night by streaming a pub quiz on Facebook Live. Really we just wanted to give folks an excuse to hangout with their friends (albeit virtually) for a night and serve as a distraction through all this. I didn't really hit me until afterward when I joined a few of the Zoom groups and saw friends throughout the country on their couches laughing and having fun with each other. Afterward I heard a lot of feed back that it was exactly what folks needed as it fed that sense of normalcy and camaraderie, it most definitely fed my wife and me as well. Hanging on to our friendships and finding some normalcy in this is beyond huge to me. We've decided to do this every Saturday as long as this shit lasts. 

We did something similar with 4 of our good friends on Saturday night.  Basically got everyone one a facetime conversation and sat around for like 6 hours at our respective homes and drank.  I think it was fun, though the end was a bit fuzzy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Blutarsky said:

You up for PM'ing some of us a link to that?  That would be fun for us....would like to join in.

• Like 1

I have a daily conference call at 7pm with my cousin in South Padre.  She also has a son on the spectrum, so we talk shop and go over things that may help out or boys during all this.

Edited by Rip76

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You up for PM'ing some of us a link to that?  That would be fun for us....would like to join in.

Of course. We don't start until 8:30 as we're trying to diminish the cameos by the toddler and the baby, though the nine month old co-hosted with me most of Saturday night. It's Facebook.com/austinpubquiz and here's the link to the event: Shelter In Place Pub Quiz. We actually had several current and previous Surlyites play this past weekend, but I'll let them out themselves on their own. 

19 hours ago, Deej said:

Hah!  I used to live off Rundberg while attending UT.  Had some friends in from back home who had never been to Austin before.  We were sitting in my living room with the TV on and they were asking about the neighborhood and whatnot.  I told them it was fairly nice and that I'd never had any problems and that our area unfairly had a bad rep.  Then, literally right after I said that, the news came on and the reporter told us all that a guy had raped and murdered an 85 year old grandma basically right down the street.  You could have heard a pin drop.

Feel better, man.

3 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

... the news came on and the reporter told us all that a guy had raped and murdered an 85 year old grandma basically right down the street.  You could have heard a pin drop. ...

The news would probably would have had less of an impact if you hadn't audibly gasped, "They are on to me!"

Stress got ramped up here.  My wife is basically back to work today as her and other counselors scramble to develop distant learning curriculum, and had a lot of conference calls.  This means we have to take turns giving the 6yo educational lessons and some sort of schedule while we are each trying to work full time...he’s whiny, cranky and just wants to build on Minecraft all day which doesn’t help.  

I would expect older kids can self guide through their distance learning curricula and review with their parents to validate completion, but I’m sure most younger elementary students are like my kindergartner in that it’s a full hands-on process. I’m blessed to have a well paying job with a lot of flexibility when I’m not super swamped like last week...can’t imagine how hard this is for people out there that need full attention to their job all day, depend on school for childcare and Have young kids that can’t self manage their education at least part time.  

11 hours ago, Mr. Blutarsky said:

But do you still blow dudes?

11 hours ago, Mr. Blutarsky said:

Was the final answer the Backstreet Boys?

spacer.png

Edited by Homercles
  • Haha 1

Mom's viral visit. I really don't want to count the days. As usual, she's being super helpful and making all those wonder Iowa dinners that I had growing up. Remember, it's from Iowa so therefore dinner or supper as she likes to call is a brownish casserole that either has the word cheesy in the title or...
Now that she won't leave(the house) and I do the grocery shopping, it's amazing how the grocery store is out of cream of mushroom soup. Every day. Damn hoarders. @Al_4_ISU

How are you single homies doing? My frame of reference is all fucked up since all I can think be doing is a rapid cycle of drinking until to blackout, waking up in a cold sweat panic, and starting again. For all my bitching about being slammed last week I’m counting my blessings that I haven’t gotten remotely bored yet and I’m getting enough socialization with my wife to not be going a bit weird. Thinking about you guys.

3 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Mom's viral visit. I really don't want to count the days. As usual, she's being super helpful and making all those wonder Iowa dinners that I had growing up. Remember, it's from Iowa so therefore dinner or supper as she likes to call is a brownish casserole that either has the word cheesy in the title or...
Now that she won't leave(the house) and I do the grocery shopping, it's amazing how the grocery store is out of cream of mushroom soup. Every day. Damn hoarders. @Al_4_ISU

We aren't huge casserole people, but eggs seem the most hoarded thing at my local grocery store.

Why eggs?  You can't freeze the damn things.  They go bad.  Seems a weird thing to hoard.

I just want to find some TP.  You’d think after almost 3 weeks of hoarding we’d be saturated, but a guy who works for HEB said he sees the same dozen people in everyday buying the same crap.  You know closet hoarding types are loving having an excuse to pack their garage with TP

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I just want to find some TP.  You’d think after almost 3 weeks of hoarding we’d be saturated, but a guy who works for HEB said he sees the same dozen people in everyday buying the same crap.  You know closet hoarding types are loving having an excuse to pack their garage with TP

Why aren't they telling those people to fuck off? 

At this point HEB needs to give top TP priority to the curbside and delivery orders. It keeps people out of the store anyways. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Why aren't they telling those people to fuck off?

Because they're already being asked to risk their lives and expose themselves to literally every single person in the neighborhood for $11 an hour? Counting other people's TP is going to cost a little extra.