Sign in to follow this  
deadshank

Crossword puzzle dorks

COVID-19 has brought me back to crossword puzzles.   I don't take a daily fish wrap so I work mostly NYT crossword compilations I've collected over the years. 

Who else is into these?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, deadshank said:

COVID-19 has brought me back to crossword puzzles.   I don't take a daily fish wrap so I work mostly NYT crossword compilations I've collected over the years. 

Who else is into these?

I do the NYT every Sunday as a ritual. Just finished today's as a matter of fact

Edit: My daily paper at the office is the WaPo, so that's what I do when I'm taking my daily dump.

Edited by G650

Love the NYT crossword app.  My favorite thing on Sunday morning is to work the crossword and drink my coffee.  A pleasant hour plus of my time. 

On 3/28/2020 at 5:03 PM, Continental Op said:

The NYT Crossword app is worth the $3/month subscription

Can you print them, or do you have to solve them digitally?

You can print them with a regular NYT subscription from the website. Not sure about app subscription.

Can you print them, or do you have to solve them digitally?
Not sure. I do them online because I apparently enjoy seeing how much slower I am at getting them done than my friends.

I used to buy the Sunday paper just for the NYT crossword.  Now, I use the gift cards I get for book stores to buy the omnibus editions.  I'm usually pretty good at finishing them; however, I have some from the 60's and 70's which are far more difficult due to the cultural references of the time.  

16 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

1:07 today for the Sunday crossword.  No lookups or reveals or cheating of any kind.  

Keep working hard and you can get that time down to under a minute.

Posted (edited)
Spoiler

20200517-145659.jpg

I gotta scribble manually.

Edited by G650

On 5/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I used to buy the Sunday paper just for the NYT crossword.  Now, I use the gift cards I get for book stores to buy the omnibus editions.  I'm usually pretty good at finishing them; however, I have some from the 60's and 70's which are far more difficult due to the cultural references of the time.  

Cool.

The Sunday puzzle is good, but it's just big. It can be engaging at times but sometimes I find it's just bulky. 

The fun really starts for the NYT puzzle on Thursday through Saturday. Especially Thursday, because that's when the tricky stuff appears (like today). 

And yeah, I agree, the puzzle has changed a lot with Will Shortz taking over as editor. I think it's for the better. The older puzzles (usually Eugene T. Maleska, if I spelled that correctly) was full of seven letter words of African antelopes and shit like that. Stuff for which you kinda needed a crossword puzzle dictionary. Shortz is much, much more into wordplay. I'm not a rap "music" fan so the clues about that area I usually don't get, but hey, can't have everything. 

look at all you smart motherfuckers with your end-of-week crossword preferences

Adit. RLS. Adieu is a Nice way to say bye. We take the newsprint edition of the NYT and I have a servant read me the clues.