So I got a WSM...

thunderlounge

On 9/14/2020 at 3:07 AM, Sam Lin said:

What modification did you have to make? You can set the grate right on the coal ring to grill hot and close, no modification needed. The height ergonomically sucks, but it cooks great.

2050041287_WSMgrill.thumb.jpg.20853266ccbcc70eec6c54f45ac4914a.jpg

The real question is, why are you grilling with your schlong out?  That's shit's dangerous.

• Hook 'Em 1

On September 21, 2020 at 12:08 AM, ScooterHTX said:

Does anyone have experience with smoking lamb shanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but I've smoked leg of lamb. They cook fast but they're really good. Marinate them in olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, garlic, and Rosemary. Take them off when the internal temp hits 135, let them sit covered in a tin foil tent for 30 min. then throw them back on direct heat for a bit just to crisp up the outside. 

I'd think a lamb shank would be better suited for braising. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Just retired my 22.5" today.  9 years of service.  I heard the distinct playing of Taps in the distance as I took it to the curb this morning.

However, the 18.5" new model arrived yesterday and brings with it new life.  Will do a burn cook and will be ready for a Thanksgiving Pork Loin.

What was the matter with the 22.5?

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

What was the matter with the 22.5?

It was just time.  My the time I replaced everything that needed replacing, it was damn near the cost of a new 18.5".  I had replaced grates and the charcoal ring once already.  The door was about shot and thermometer stopped working 5 years ago.  I was also tired of it using so much fuel for how much I was cooking.

Weber makes a helluva product and could have lasted longer with the replacements.  I set it out in plain site on the curb. Would not be surprised if someone came and grabbed it and gave it a new home.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

It was just time.  My the time I replaced everything that needed replacing, it was damn near the cost of a new 18.5".  I had replaced grates and the charcoal ring once already.  The door was about shot and thermometer stopped working 5 years ago.  I was also tired of it using so much fuel for how much I was cooking.

Weber makes a helluva product and could have lasted longer with the replacements.  I set it out in plain site on the curb. Would not be surprised if someone came and grabbed it and gave it a new home.

I was just wondering if there were any body rust issues.  Sounds like not.  I've got the CB door on my 22.5.  So that ought to outlast everything  The ring appears to be in good shape and the grates have outlasted two grates on my Weber Kettle, which I finally bit the bullet on and got a stainless grate.  Mine's only about 3 years old though.

17 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I put an old, broken, mold-filled freezer on the curb and it was gone in an hour.

Yeah, I've put some really shitty stuff on the curb and it always vanishes.  One mans trash and shit.

I once put out this homemade entertainment center my buddies and I made right after college.  It took up an entire wall and must have weighed 5,000 pounds.  Only way we could even get it to the curb was that we had the foresight to build it on casters.  So we rolled it out and in less than an hour, I see this large middle aged woman, wearing a weight lifting belt, single-handedly lift the damn thing into the back of a truck and hall it off.  Vick would have busted a nut watching her.

/csb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tenderloin. 
artichokes. Boiling water for a few minutes. Then on the smoker for ~30 minutes

brusselsprouts, chopped onion, cooked bacon with the grease poured over. On the smoker for an hour, then finished at ~450 for 25 minutes

the only only not smoked are the baby potatoes.

tenderloin was meh, the potatoes and artichokes were solid

this was my first time doing brusselsprouts like this. I’ll never eat them another way again. The smoke flavored was perfect. And of course, bacon grease over anything is going to be hard to beat 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've put some really shitty stuff on the curb and it always vanishes.  One mans trash and shit.
I once put out this homemade entertainment center my buddies and I made right after college.  It took up an entire wall and must have weighed 5,000 pounds.  Only way we could even get it to the curb was that we had the foresight to build it on casters.  So we rolled it out and in less than an hour, I see this large middle aged woman, wearing a weight lifting belt, single-handedly lift the damn thing into the back of a truck and hall it off.  Vick would have busted a nut watching her.
/csb

Give her number to Jerry Jones. The Cowboys need some O-line help.
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

this was my first time doing brusselsprouts like this. I’ll never eat them another way again. The smoke flavored was perfect. And of course, bacon grease over anything is going to be hard to beat 

Smoked Brussels sprouts are amazing. I have done them just tossed in oil with salt and pepper and then smoked, but next time I am adding bacon and onion as you did. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this Cook's Country episode ever made it to this thread, but I thought they did a fairly credible job in developing a way to smoke a brisket on a Weber 22" Kettle grill.  I have one of those Smokenator inserts for my Kettle, but this "charcoal snake" technique avoids that expense.  I might try to adapt it to my Weber WSM.  I liked the way it sequentially ignited the hardwood over the course of the smoke.

I wasn't thrilled with the way he sliced the final product -- I usually try to find the seam between the point and the flat and separate them completely -- but overall this seemed to be a pretty good effort at using standard backyard equipment to create actual BBQ brisket.

For those of you who use the foil "crutch", is there any rationale for not just taking it to the oven at that point?

•  
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 11:33 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm doing a couple of racks of St. Louis pork ribs tomorrow.  I have some chicken thighs brining that I didn't get around to cooking tonight . . . anybody ever smoke boneless chicken thighs?  Not that I care if I ruin them, it's like $2 worth of food, but any tips?

Smoke them all the time.  Perfect little smoked chicken fajitas. Chop them and server them with pico and a corn tortilla.  Throw them in salads during the week too. 

5 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Any tips for smoking pastrami?

been on my list to try for a while now and getting ready to finally do it

Use less salt in your rub.  I've made it with one of those pre-brined briskets and rather than guess at how salty it was to adjust the rub, I just soaked it for 24 hours in cold water in the fridge.  They have turned out wonderfully for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tried beef ribs for the first time this weekend on WSM.

6.5 lb Dino Rib pack from HEB.

Watched the Aaron Franklin beef rib video on YouTube. Pretty simple. Planned on wrapping in butcher paper, but was pretty excited about the bark forming, so kept it going. When it hit 200 degrees I just committed to let it cook another 30 mins and think that was the right call. Let them rest for an hour in a cooler and then served.

464d98e53b2d9a9a80763d5fbd6bd958.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/11/2020 at 1:31 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know if this Cook's Country episode ever made it to this thread, but I thought they did a fairly credible job in developing a way to smoke a brisket on a Weber 22" Kettle grill.  I have one of those Smokenator inserts for my Kettle, but this "charcoal snake" technique avoids that expense.  I might try to adapt it to my Weber WSM.  I liked the way it sequentially ignited the hardwood over the course of the smoke.

I wasn't thrilled with the way he sliced the final product -- I usually try to find the seam between the point and the flat and separate them completely -- but overall this seemed to be a pretty good effort at using standard backyard equipment to create actual BBQ brisket.

For those of you who use the foil "crutch", is there any rationale for not just taking it to the oven at that point?

•  
  •  

Not enough pepper. 

On 12/29/2020 at 1:09 PM, UTexasFight said:

Any tips for smoking pastrami?

been on my list to try for a while now and getting ready to finally do it

I've done a rif on this recipe and it's good.  Have also bought the corned beef in a bag at HEB and doctored it up for smoking with reasonable results.

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/make-brisket-pastrami/

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Couldn’t really find anything regarding drum smokers here. Anybody got any experience building a drum smoker? Doesn’t look too difficult and I’d like to have something with fire rather than just my traeger pellet grill. Thanks.

I've got a Pit Barrel Cooker, which has gotten very little use since I got the WSM.  It does an okay job with ribs and a great job with chicken halves, but I wouldn't bother putting a brisket or a butt on it (and to be honest, I prefer the ribs on the WSM. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a Pit Barrel Cooker, too.  I will sell it to you for $1.79 and a 6-er of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Those things are not easy to control.

I never had much trouble controlling mine.  But at that point, I was content to buy into the just let it cook at it's temp. notion.  In the end, I just prefer the results of what I cook on the WSM. 

But I'm really trying to see if I can undercut your offer with less money and more SNPA.

Edited by dcbc

Eh, I about caught my house on fire.  I took the lid off the PBC to do some minor tweak and the inrush of air turned it into a giant fire-breathing chimney.  Never mind that it torched a bunch of meat, it was really quite scary.  I put the fire out with a hose and never used the thing again.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, I about caught my house on fire.  I took the lid off the PBC to do some minor tweak and the inrush of air turned it into a giant fire-breathing chimney.  Never mind that it torched a bunch of meat, it was really quite scary.  I put the fire out with a hose and never used the thing again.

God did not bless us with offset pipe bbq smokers just for y'all fuckers to reinvent the wheel and try burn your houses down. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wow.  That sucks.  I think I saw a video of a guy cooking on one that warned not to pull the lid straight off too quickly.  That's crazy that it was like a blowtorch.