So I got a WSM...

thunderlounge

8 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Yeah listen to TSU....do not give up on tri-tip. Please. But it's not a roast. It's a steak. But it's absurdly flavorful. I honestly don't think there's a more flavorful cut. But you have to finish it rare/medium rare and slice it against the grain. 

Maybe too rare for some but damn, this was good stuff. My 8 year old could not stop eating and neither could I. 

36296514194_2126ba153c.jpg

Amazeballs. 

19 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Yeah listen to TSU....do not give up on tri-tip. Please. But it's not a roast. It's a steak. But it's absurdly flavorful. I honestly don't think there's a more flavorful cut. But you have to finish it rare/medium rare and slice it against the grain. 

Maybe too rare for some but damn, this was good stuff. My 8 year old could not stop eating and neither could I. 

Well I may try another one sometime. This one got the brisket treatment, but it actually turned out pretty good.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, Baboontyme said:

We did tri tip at a tailgate last year and people were going fucking crazy over it. We sliced it super thin with the plan to make sandwiches, but most people ended up just grabbing the slices and eating them with nothing else. We'll probably do it again for USC, because California...

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:32 AM, Hank_Hill said:

Just a heads up its in Austin this year.

Yes. We're playing a team from California.

So how is this for an idea. Think of a Cuban sandwich, but instead of ham / pork roast it's smoked brisket and pulled pork. Smoked cheddar and gruyere cheese. Thin sliced pickles. Assemble sandwich and press like a Cuban.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Yes. We're playing a team from California.

So how is this for an idea. Think of a Cuban sandwich, but instead of ham / pork roast it's smoked brisket and pulled pork. Smoked cheddar and gruyere cheese. Thin sliced pickles. Assemble sandwich and press like a Cuban.

Swap the regular pickles for pickled jalapenos and I'm in.

• Like 1

Just picked up a nearly 4 lb tritip from the butcher counter.  Hope it's good.  Thing ran me 9.99/lb, which seemed high, but whatever.  Got the guy to trim it down to 1/4" of fat or so and will cook tomorrow afternoon.

Half considering just doing a smoke on the 22" Weber Kettle with coals on one side and maybe a small metal water pan.  Never tried to go low and slow, but figure it's as easy as they say.

Salt and pepper will do as well as always, I assume.

Edited by dcbc

Undercooked for sure, but I think about 10 more degrees F would have been amazing.  The crust/flavor was great, but the overall meat was somewhere between well received, which it was, and perfect.  I'm thinking the trick at this point is to treat it exactly like I do a steak, but to add a few minutes buffer to anything I'd do with a steak.

Ixk_HFXRNZRyt_XC3_Ojw5jy_O9mh_Ib_BIze1gf

Edited by dcbc

Did a chicken yesterday....turned out great.  Was out of twine, so improvised with a skewer o try to keep the legs in.

salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder rub

Creole garlic injections

cooked around 300 until probe in breast was 165.

Rested for about 20-30 minutes.

36044161_10111794023589060_1335087152282

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Did a chicken yesterday....turned out great.  Was out of twine, so improvised with a skewer o try to keep the legs in.

salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder rub

Creole garlic injections

cooked around 300 until probe in breast was 165.

Rested for about 20-30 minutes.

36044161_10111794023589060_1335087152282

Good lookin' bird bark!

This is probably an easy question but it's new territory for a bbq newb. I need to cook a pork butt (for pulled pork sandwiches) for a 4th of July party next week. If I do the smokin a day early, what's the best method to reheat the next day? 

Don't pull it the day before or it will dry out.  Leave whole and reheat in the oven.  I would probably put it in a big steam tray pan with a little liquid in the bottom (apple juice, cider vinegar, etc.), cover it with foil.  When it is reheated, pull your pork then.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever SMOKE a "LONDON BROIL"?

I know that London Broil is a way of cooking, not technically a cut of meat, but I have 1 1/2 steaks worth of what grocery stores call "London Broil" that I froze after turning half of one into hamburger meat (with added pork fat for juice & flavor) and I want to try smoking them on my WSM.

I've seen a few "How To..." pages online, but I was wondering if anyone here has tried it?

Chicken and baby backs in the barrel for dinner tonight and a 12 lb brisket on the WSM for an overnight cook.  Plan on sleeping in a bit and not wrapping this one, but will hit it with some ACV.  How much extra time should I expect on a no-wrap cook?  Most briskets run me between 14--16 hours at between 225 F and 240 F.

Pulled it at 200 after 17 hrs on the WSM.  Probed perfectly.  Resting now.  Slice shots later, but this felt easier than the times I have wrapped it.  Generally, when I wrap, it doesn't probe done until close to 209.  And the time difference is only an hour.  We'll see how she tastes tonight, but does not look DAF.

z_Lq3_X6s_WS9z3ai_Lv_Sb6x_Bt1_Sf_IAe_Ei_

• Like 2

Finally got to work on did my first two seasonings.  Hot burn with nothing and then then a slower one trying to keep it at 275 with several JImmy Dean sausage rolls.  It will be a learning process because when I noted it dropping to 250, i added just a handful of briquettes.  Damn it shot up past 325 and I had a hard time bringing it down.  I look forward to getting some experience with fire control. 

Yeah don't add fuel unless you're about to burn out the last of your charcoal.

Think of the bottom vents a little like steering a ship. Don't overcorrect or micromanage it. If you open or close the vents it will take a little while for temps to increase/decrease accordingly.  After a few smokes you'll have a feel for the sweet spot. Tiny, tiny adjustments to the vents will push the temps up or down by a few degrees.

On holding temp, keep the top vent wide open, light your fire with 8--10 coals dumped in the middle of the rest with a few wood chunks mixed in (Minion Method).  Assemble, and let it burn with the three bottom vents wide open.  Hopefully, you're checking the temp with a grill grate probe, but if not, be aware that the lid thermometer runs hotter.  When your fire gets to about 5--10 degrees of your target temp, close down two of the bottom vents completely and close the third one down to the width of a pencil.  Watch your grate temp for the next 30 minutes.  More than likely, it will be spot on and you can go to sleep for the next 10--12 hours.

Edited by dcbc