So I got a WSM...

thunderlounge

Got my charcoal basket from arborfab.com.  Well, apparently, they were out of rings or were feeling generous or made a mistake, but I got the ring with the bottom and the handle, which is $45 more than the simple ring I ordered.  This thing is a really well built stainless piece of work.  Very excited.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2021 at 8:20 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Where do y'all get those giant dino beef ribs?

Usually, I have to talk to the meat counter guy at the grocery store, but on occasion, Walmart will have the 4 bone chuck plate ribs, which are really good and perfectly dino sized.

Edited by dcbc

44 minutes ago, ScooterHTX said:

Tell me more about this marinade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link  below

The flavor from the rub/marinade is what made the meat/meal. I salted about 20 hours before cooking.

The meat itself was not as tender as I wanted. I smoked at about 300 before searing on the gas grill. I think if I smoked lower/slower, may have come out a bit better.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/how-to-cook-smoked-tri-tip/

Edited by UTexasFight

Got 2 plates of dino ribs this morning . . . any tips?  I'm planning on a simple salt & pepper rub.  What internal temperature am I looking for? Do I wrap at some point or just go all the way to finished?

These are too beautiful to risk screwing up (not to mention pricey).

image.thumb.png.c0cc6630c6e6cf5e40233cf62fbec4cf.png

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Got 2 plates of dino ribs this morning . . . any tips?  I'm planning on a simple salt & pepper rub.  What internal temperature am I looking for? Do I wrap at some point or just go all the way to finished?

Hot (275-300), Salt, Pepper, and a little garlic powder, I shoot for 205, but really probe them until the probe meets no resistance. 

Edit: I don't wrap mine. It's usually about a 5-6 hr cook to get them probe-soft. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For your rub...go 9:1 black pepper to kosher salt.  Beef ribs like pepper.  Like, you can't over pepper beef ribs. As for when they're done, the man himself can explain it better than I can...

Edited by Dutch

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

28 minutes ago, Dutch said:

For your rub...go 9:1 black pepper to kosher salt.  Beef ribs like pepper.  

The Louie Mueller rub.  I tend towards 2:1 or sometimes 3:1 on brisket, maybe I'll up it on these, but I'm cooking for 8, I don't think they'll all appreciate the 9:1 pepper bomb.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The Louie Mueller rub.  I tend towards 2:1 or sometimes 3:1 on brisket, maybe I'll up it on these, but I'm cooking for 8, I don't think they'll all appreciate the 9:1 pepper bomb.

The hot sauce binder Franklin uses in that video is fine, even though I don't think it carries over in flavor.  2:1 or 3:1 S&P is fine for beef ribs, particularly if you are cooking for people who are pepper bomb averse.  Apart from that, cook them exactly like a no-wrap brisket. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This got no replies so take it for what it’s worth 

play around with the search on the brisket thread. There is some pastrami talk on page 14.

i did my first one earlier this year. Turned out well. Did a dry brine but don’t remember the recipe/rub I followed.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

This got no replies so take it for what it’s worth 

play around with the search on the brisket thread. There is some pastrami talk on page 14.

i did my first one earlier this year. Turned out well. Did a dry brine but don’t remember the recipe/rub I followed.

I thought I’d copied that over from tos. 

@Hiphopopotamos gets the credit. 

I’ve used his recipe 6 or 7 times in the last few years and it’s turned out great.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

How did you do the pastrami? Turn out good?

The easiest way I know how.  Buy a prebrined corned beef flat (turned out to be a flat/point) in the bag.  Soak overnight in a bowl of cold water to draw some of the salt out.  Rub like I would a brisket and cook it like a brisket. 

It was delicious.

Some day, I'll pickle/brine a brisket and do it properly.  But this way is cheap ($12) and easy and is a great add on when I'm cooking other things.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

I haven't been smoking much. I'm going to cook this weekend for a small party. 

Has anyone ever done the tri-tip like brisket thing? I think I'm going to give it a whirl. A buddy did it this past weekend and said it turned out great. 

Edit - here's a link: 

Edited by Baboontyme

5 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I haven't been smoking much. I'm going to cook this weekend for a small party. 

Has anyone ever done the tri-tip like brisket thing? I think I'm going to give it a whirl. A buddy did it this past weekend and said it turned out great. 

Edit - here's a link: 

I didn't watch the whole video to see what temp he pulled the tri tip off at. I'm presuming higher than your usual cook to medium approach. 

If doing that, I guess injecting makes sense to keep it from drying out. 

The best thing about tri tip is that you can do it fast, so I don't see the benefit of cooking something longer. 

Also that dude needs to put way more seasoning on both his cuts. 

20 hours ago, TornACL said:

I didn't watch the whole video to see what temp he pulled the tri tip off at. I'm presuming higher than your usual cook to medium approach. 

If doing that, I guess injecting makes sense to keep it from drying out. 

The best thing about tri tip is that you can do it fast, so I don't see the benefit of cooking something longer. 

Also that dude needs to put way more seasoning on both his cuts. 

I actually didn't watch it at all. I love tri tip and I've cooked it quite a bit. This appealed to me as something different and maybe a brisket shortcut. 

My buddy said he did not inject it. He pulled it around 205/probe tender. Said it was outstanding. 

Other info - he learned from the videos it should be fat cap down and that's how he cooked it. I asked him what fat cap? I've never bought a tri tip with a fat cap. I didn't know that was a thing. Fuck the stores here. Anyway I ordered 3 from some site. 

Edited by Baboontyme

Whatever you do, don't follow HEB's lead.  I guess there are different ways to prepare pastrami, but I always thought curing (or at least brining) and smoking were pretty standard.  At some point, it seems like it's getting mighty close to corned beef.

image.png.92b9cb29ebe9ccb390744c2c16702704.png

• Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 10:25 AM, Baboontyme said:

I actually didn't watch it at all. I love tri tip and I've cooked it quite a bit. This appealed to me as something different and maybe a brisket shortcut. 

My buddy said he did not inject it. He pulled it around 205/probe tender. Said it was outstanding. 

Other info - he learned from the videos it should be fat cap down and that's how he cooked it. I asked him what fat cap? I've never bought a tri tip with a fat cap. I didn't know that was a thing. Fuck the stores here. Anyway I ordered 3 from some site. 

So whatever happened with this? I have never heard of pulling tri-tip at 205. I smoked a 3lb today at 225 in under 2 hours, was worried I over cooked it at 140degrees and was still medium to medium rare. Cooking it to 205 seems like like it would be dry as fuck especially with no injection. Its not a fatty piece of meat like brisket with little to render. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Finally upgraded to the 22". I've done very little BBQ the last year. Moved offices, moves houses, got sick, etc., etc. Finally made a brisket and beef rib on my 18" and it was great. Forgot to take pictures unfortunately. But can't wait to try the 22". Is it any harder to maintan temp? The size difference between the two is a lot more dramatic than I expected.

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Finally upgraded to the 22". I've done very little BBQ the last year. Moved offices, moves houses, got sick, etc., etc. Finally made a brisket and beef rib on my 18" and it was great. Forgot to take pictures unfortunately. But can't wait to try the 22". Is it any harder to maintan temp? The size difference between the two is a lot more dramatic than I expected.

Just uses more fuel, but I've never had the 18".

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 10:12 PM, UTexasFight said:

Link  below

The flavor from the rub/marinade is what made the meat/meal. I salted about 20 hours before cooking.

The meat itself was not as tender as I wanted. I smoked at about 300 before searing on the gas grill. I think if I smoked lower/slower, may have come out a bit better.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/how-to-cook-smoked-tri-tip/

Have done a couple of reverse seared tri-tips starting it off on the 22 WSM. I go 200-250, gradual rise. Usually by the time it reaches 250 the tri-tip is ready to come off before a slight rest then sear.

Can't tell you what a big difference doing a salt dry brine does to the inside flavor. Even if you only have a couple of hours, just lightly salt it with some kosher salt. I didn't use too much because I was still going to season it with a salty rub, but it still worked really well and in only a couple of hours the salt worked its way in there.

28 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Just uses more fuel, but I've never had the 18".

Pretty much that’s it. Can’t say on the 18, and it may be the same, but the biggest enemy for me with a 22 is wind. 

Full cook of fuel gone in 4 hours bad, if you get caught off guard.

Also look at some of the cajun bandit upgrades. They’ll do you right and improve it dramatically. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Once you get some nice black greasiness to seal it all up after a few cooks, the thing works great. When I bought mine I went ahead and got a BBQ Guru with it. After a few cooks I didn't even need to use the Guru so I sold it. Just use good charcoal (I use KBB) and go with it. If I'm cooking low, I use the water pan, which I have filled with sand and covered in foil. I start with every vent wide open, and once I hit my target temperature I close them down to about 1/4-3/8" open. All depending on the wind. If I need to bump it up I just open the door until the fire kicks up. Longest cook has been 12 hours, using one 16# bag of KBB. After about 7 hours at 225-250, I wrapped that brisket and opened the vents and door and got up to around 295-300. Held it there the rest of the cook and still had a little bit of charcoal left in the bottom.

If you're worried about it getting to hot over time, maybe use B&B briquettes, as those have been a bitch for me to get up to higher temps. Franklin briquettes also burn low and last in mine.

The only upgrades I've done are

-replaced the thermometer with a River Country,

-added a bolt with a beer bottle cork to the top vent so I can close it without burning my fingers once the cook is done

-added some metal to make my basket four inches higher to hold more charcoal if I need to (I really haven't)

-added an 18" grate to the bottom of the basket, turned perpendicular to the original grate, so I don't lose bigger chunks of coal that are still burning.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Pretty much that’s it. Can’t say on the 18, and it may be the same, but the biggest enemy for me with a 22 is wind. 

Full cook of fuel gone in 4 hours bad, if you get caught off guard.

Also look at some of the cajun bandit upgrades. They’ll do you right and improve it dramatically. 

The C/B door for sure. 

I've got the Arbor Fabricating basket and I can cook for 24 hours straight if need be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've got 2 18" WSM's.  For the first one, I bought the Cajun Bandit door and it works great!  I've had it for years.  Thanks to this thread and WSM forums, I also use gaskets, the Arbor Fab basket, a BBQ Guru w/fan and adaptor, Fireboard w/the BBQ Guru fan, and the lid hinge.  The Fireboard is awesome! Gaskets are a must.  The lid hinge is a bit wonkey, but if you don't have a lot of space to set the lid on the ground it is a nice accessory.

I bought another WSM to keep at my Uncle's farm for get togethers, and I treated the door, bottom, and dome with some extra gasket material I had.  Works like a charm.  I've burned it in and done two long cooks on it and it does not leak.

I highly recommend this kit for the base, door, and dome.  It's enough for 2 WSM's and no leaks:

https://www.amazon.com/Gasket-Weber-Smokey-Mountain-gasket/dp/B00CI6WFCU/ref=asc_df_B00CI6WFCU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142484282&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12971683097946288872&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028274&hvtargid=pla-592593434834&psc=1

Fireboard (skip their fan.  it's a PITA):

https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-2-drive/

BBQ Guru Fan:

https://bbqguru.com/storenav/Index?categoryId=&&productId=403

Adaptor:

https://bbqguru.com/storenav/Index?categoryId=&&productId=6

I got the BGE adaptor as well, but I haven't tried it with the Fireboard yet.  I use the BGE for high temp cooks, so it hasn't been a priority to smoke anything on it.

I'm still fiddling with the Fireboard, but once I get it dialed in it will be perfect.  The app is great and the damn thing is precise.  WiFi and  Bluetooth.  I also got readings on LTE when I ran to the store while the food was on.  I know it is pricey, but it may be my favorite gadget I've purchased in the last 5 years.  

• Hook 'Em 3