Olympics, better late than never

Michael Knight

5 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Fencing masks are cool.

Fencing is a cool sport. I first got exposed to it in the very early days of ESPN. Then I took a couple fencing classes in college. I was signed up for a third but had to drop it because it conflicted with a required class for my major. But I loved those classes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

USWNT had better hope that they can beat New Zealand, because if it is a draw, then Team Menopause isn’t going to make it out of the group playing their 3rd game in 6 1/2 days against a young, superior Aussie squad.

They mud holed them, as expected.

Women’s 3x3 on now. Very boring. Not misogyny, this just isn’t a good sport. USA crushing Mongolia who is probably a bunch of amateurs. Their first two shots were air balls. Why do we need this when we have regular basketball already?

Edited by tokamak
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Just watched the lowlights from Argentina's 2-0 loss to Australia and saw where the ref decided he wanted to affect the outcome so he game a red card (2nd yellow) to an Argie defender for jostling in the box before a corner right before halftime.

1589881090_ScreenShot2021-07-24at6_11_56AM.thumb.png.e22fa8c508f360f2da901fc53fb66c6c.png

🤌 🤌 🤌's were produced by the booked Argentine, but it was too late. No reprieve would be coming for his efforts and perfect gesticulating form.

The video is queued up to the critical Yellow->Red and 🤌 🤌 🤌's that followed.

Haha tough shit argies.

I just flipped it on for the first time and I've seen 4 ads and they're already a fucking beating. The ad where the kid is a fuckin robot on dirt patrol in the hallway asking brace face to the dance and then the investment/ing ad where the girl goes "I'M A CANCER SO YOU KNOW THIS IS HOW I AM LOL"

confused gordon ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

6 hours ago, tokamak said:

Women’s 3x3 on now. Very boring. Not misogyny, this just isn’t a good sport. USA crushing Mongolia who is probably a bunch of amateurs. Their first two shots were air balls. Why do we need this when we have regular basketball already?

Why can’t they just race on bicycles?  Why do we need a gymnastics version?

Just now, hookem2010 said:

NBC ignored that Tunisian dude til the last 5 meters. I was confused why they weren't commenting on him as he led the last half of the race.

I love that shit when they spend 10 minutes taking up the Americans, Australians, etc then some random Tunisian dude wins. Oh yeah btw he’s in the race too. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

NBC ignored that Tunisian dude til the last 5 meters. I was confused why they weren't commenting on him as he led the last half of the race.

that dude's victory yell was awesome, i love when there's just uncontrollable exuberance!! 😄

• Like 2

i suppose skateboarding is the natural progession from snowboarding.

still. this looks like every group of kids you see just farting around any downtown area, annoying people with their 'tricks' lol.

at least in snowboarding they FLYYYYYY. 

speaking of new events...surfing. if that's going to be an event from now on does that mean every city that bids for the Olympics has to now be on a coast?? that seems to really limit locations. weird. 

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, tokamak said:

title IX

I don't get judo.  By nature it should be kind of exciting or at least interesting.  But all I've seen are two people hanging onto each other like some half-assed junior high wrestling match.  They just grab at each other, almost always to no avail,and there's like no action whatsoever, and then like 5:30 into a 6 minute match, one indistinguishable, almost casual move awards a competitor a point and the gold medal?  It's almost like the loser moved/sneezed wrong and 4 years of intense training down the drain.  If the strategy is to wait for that one opportunity, it seems so anticlimactic as to be snooze-worthy.

I wish they'd rescore it so you pile up points for throwdowns, grabs, twists, reverses, etc.  But as it is it's the most boring thing I've seen so far - and I've seen a lot of boring thing.

Edited by phdhorn

Have been watching FRA v USA.  This is going to be close.  What I've realized from watching a few Olympic basketball games now is the NBA is soft as hell.  The driving, flopping, foul seeking and so forth behavior is clearly not rewarded in international play.  Hopefully USA learns fast and plays accordingly, else that bronze medal may be in our future.

USA woman just won the first US gold medal in foil fencing ever, men’s or women’s.  And, as usual in my old age, its suddenly dusty in here watching the reaction of her and her coach.

Saw this as well. I don’t know the first thing about foil (how does this differ from fencing?), but the last match was great and as you said, the reaction of her and her coach was a great moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

USA woman just won the first US gold medal in foil fencing ever, men’s or women’s.  And, as usual in my old age, its suddenly dusty in here watching the reaction of her and her coach.

I watched her quarterfinal last night where she made a great comeback to advance. I still don't understand how it is scored and what constitutes a touch, but it was by far the most entertaining thing I've seen up to this point. It's like flyweight boxing. Just continual movement,  attacking and defense.  Loved it.