Olympics, better late than never

Michael Knight

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Finke got mono? Who the fuck gets mono after high school? 

I've never actually had it, but according to many of my professors each semester for about 3 semesters in a row, I had mono and missed a week or two of school while going back to Dallas to see doctors.

I wasn't always good at playing school if the classes bored me to tears.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

NED-AUS field hockey went to a penalty shoot out. Kinda cool. I'm always trying to find a new obscure sport to follow in the Olympics. 

Mens? or Women's field hockey?

Women's "Hockey": Argentina had the best female player in the world while I was living down there, Luciana Aymar.

image.png.0ae390720471e4ab51ff18f089ee792e.png

image.png.a84d3ed2b02842cf1036565dfc65ba4d.pngimage.thumb.png.a4b4eda057f728ec7bfabe9c08b31b8c.png

...but I don't think that they managed an Olympic Gold. They may have won a World Cup before I was paying attention, but...

ESPN, ESPN2, FOX DEPORTES, or TyC (the 4 cable sports channels) would occasionally have a women's field hockey match LIVE on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. 90%+ sports on TV were soccer matches, soccer pregame/post-game, soccer analysis... and then in the group of "the best of the rest" was women's field hockey.

Las_Leonas_2008_(completo).jpg

They do a wonderful job bending over preparing to strike a dead ball. Magnificent.

And they celebrate pretty well to boot. (And yes, they wear mouthgards.)

ce5d0331da5367a4efbf0e9f9031e284.jpg.

Men's "Hockey": ...in Rio 2016, the Argentine men (who were NEVER on TV) went and won the Olympic Gold Medal in Field Hockey... Qué raro!

Hockey elsewhere in the world: A cutie from Manchester, who I met in an elevator at the Guinness Brewery (St. James Gate) in Dublin, played club field hockey well into her 30s in and around Manchester. I can't find any photos of her in her hockey uniform, but here are some other photos of her. (She's married to her second husband and has a boy from each.)

Spoiler

Anna-G-bathing-suit-1.jpg

LEFT below

6-AC9-F6-E2-6014-4-B56-AB8-A-597-FECA32-

38-EE260-A-ED9-D-4991-8861-FDD69332173-E

F0-CC8-A23-B269-4-A01-B51-F-991956-E91-D

50-B440-C0-AF43-4334-820-E-B565-CA700734

86-EE729-C-C689-4-AAF-8-C64-0563-E240171

Her ass in red.

69-F867-AD-E813-42-AA-AA20-893-C411-DACB

And an Argentine mom I know from Buenos Aires was playing well into her 30s and may have even found a club to play with now that she's living in Portugal with her American boyfriend. Outside the USA, field hockey is very popular.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Why do I feel like Xander will choke this gold away

Welp. He didn't. Morikawa had a great chance at medalling too - made it to the last 2 alive on the fourth playoff hole.

The 7 person playoff was nuts. They had to do a foursome and then a threesome on the first hole. 2 guys bogeyed - all other pars - so on the 2nd hole they no shit played a fivesome. I think some of the players were getting a good laugh from it. 

Archery looks like the chillest fucking sport. Dudes are wearing fucking camping hats and shit. 

why do they hook them up to heart rate monitors, and why the fuck these dudes are bearing at 150, 160 bpm?  Is it just the draw weight of the bows?  

they arent exactly doing winter biathlon here (xcountry skiing + target shooting)

Nadine Visser the 100m hurdle from netherlands is legitimate cutie , but that means she wont win for shit. All the fast sprinters are the ones looking like serena williams dressing up for a disco cosplay. 

i dont understand wearing huge ass earrings, chains, apple watch, and flair in your hairdo while in competition but then again im not an olympian. 

final question all the sprinters and hurdlers male and female immediately take off their shoes at the end of the race. Are they really uncomfortable? Laced ultra tight?

On 7/31/2021 at 6:13 AM, ButtFumble said:

I gagree with a lot of this....I mean shit more fucking golf and tennis that shit is always on

I doubt soccer would go away and as an American we are not beat down with it as much and other places love it so I can see it

one thing that really sucks is this emphasis on having the females do the same new events as the males.....the BMX freestyle women would be thrashed by any decent 15yo weed smoking male.......shit some of them I could have done 90% of their tricks which consisted of jumping on the ramp.....a back flip was like woooooaaa.....meanwhile the guys are doing all kind of crazy shit the women look mostly like a kid at the park with a new bike

Soccer is great, but here’s the thing— the Olympic teams are not the best players and the best teams. The weird under 23 only + 3 exceptions rules ensure that. So why are we doing this? The best teams and players are at the World Cup. I am wholly uninterested in seeing any Olympic sport where it’s not the best you can put on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Soccer is great, but here’s the thing— the Olympic teams are not the best players and the best teams. The weird under 23 only + 3 exceptions rules ensure that. So why are we doing this? The best teams and players are at the World Cup. I am wholly uninterested in seeing any Olympic sport where it’s not the best you can put on the field. 

A little organization named FIFA set the rules for soccer at the Olympics, not the IOC.

They said: “If you want our member nations to compete in the men’s event, these are the rules. No one gives a shit about women’s soccer, but if you want the men to play, then here are the restrictions.”

It also isn’t on the FIFA calendar, so no professional teams have to release any players for qualifying matches or for the event. It is merely a favor that teams may grant to the players and/or that country’s Olympic federation.

Europe doesn’t even have qualifying. They use results from their U-21 tournament to see which countries get to go.