Olympics, better late than never

Michael Knight

Genuinely cannot believe a 17-year-old (Erriyon Knighton) just cranked out a 19.84-second 200m. That's nearly 0.3 seconds faster than the previous U20 record holder: some lanky dude by the name of Bolt.

Three-tenths is an epoch in the sprints.

Also: don't sleep on the aggy, Athing Mu. She's 19 years old and nearly broke the U.S. record tonight in the 800m. If she stays focused and healthy, she'll end up as the woman's David Rudisha.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
Mu-mentum
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The IOC apparently is totally regarded.

Reports: Sha'Carri Richardson tests positive for marijuana, status for Tokyo Olympics in doubt

65bc2490-daca-11eb-b47f-65ccee6fa6a9

Sha'Carri Richardson won the 100m at the Olympic Trials last month in just 10.86 seconds, and was expected to compete for a Gold medal in Tokyo. (Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

American sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson, a medal favorite in the 100-meter dash at the upcoming Olympics, failed a drug test and likely won't be able to run at the Tokyo Games, according to multiple reports Thursday night.

Richardson reportedly tested positive for cannabis, or marijuana, at U.S. Olympic Trials, where she won the 100. Richardson would be disqualified, and her place in the 100 handed to the fourth-place finisher at trials, Jenna Prandini. Gabby Thomas, who finished fifth, would become the alternate.

It's unclear whether Richardson could appeal and still compete in Tokyo, or whether USA Track & Field might consider naming her to a relay team.

The Jamaica Gleaner first reported news of Richardson's positive test. The Cincinnati Enquirer, Reuters and the New York Times later reported that the banned substance was marijuana.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) considers cannabis a “substance of abuse.” All cannabis-based products except for cannabidiol, or CBD, are on WADA's 2021 Prohibited List and banned “in-competition." The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee, and USA Track and Field adhere to WADA's code.

The maximum punishment for a positive test is a years-long suspension. According to USADA, “if an athlete ... establishes that their use of the substance occurred out of competition and was unrelated to sport performance, the athlete will receive a three-month sanction. If the athlete satisfactorily completes a Substance of Abuse treatment program approved by USADA, the sanction may be further reduced to one month.”

A one-month suspension, if backdated to the day of the positive test, would see Richardson reinstated in time for the women's 100-meter heats in Tokyo on July 30. But she'd be retroactively disqualified from U.S. trials, and therefore unable to compete at the Olympics. USATF rules require it to send the top three finishers at trials. The New York Times reported that other competitors in the race had been notified about Richardson's failed test, and of revised results.

Richardson sent out a cryptic tweet earlier on Thursday.

Hours later, she did not appear on the entry list for a Diamond League meet in Stockholm, where she was scheduled to compete.

Neither Richardson's agent, USA Track and Field, WADA nor USADA responded to emails and texts requesting comment.

Richardson, 21, had been widely considered a potential breakout star at the Olympics. She won the 100 at trials in 10.86 seconds.

The former LSU star turned pro after her first season with the Tigers, but not before she won the NCAA title and set a record in the 100 after running it in just 10.75 seconds. Just before trials in April, Richardson ran the sixth-fastest time in the history of the event, a personal best of 10.72.

Only one other person in the world — Jamaica’s Shelly-Ann Fraser-Price — has recorded a faster 100 time this year. Fraser-Price, who ran it in 10.63 seconds, is a two-time gold medalist in the event. Their showdown was one of the most anticipated races at the Olympics, which begin July 23.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/shacarri-richardson-drug-test-marijuana-olympics-034317805.html

It's dumb all around tbh. Yes it's just weed but she also has to know she's going to be tested and should have better prepared for those test during trials.
Yep. Both sides in this are morons. She couldn't refrain for a couple months for the biggest competition of her life?

44 minutes ago, Orale said:
57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
It's dumb all around tbh. Yes it's just weed but she also has to know she's going to be tested and should have better prepared for those test during trials.

Yep. Both sides in this are morons. She couldn't refrain for a couple months for the biggest competition of her life?

Unsure how true this is but if true just stupid. 

C0034C46-6573-464F-A9A6-CF5BCFDF42EB.png

Her official excuse? She's grieving.

OK, I'll be that guy: this was incredibly stupid and short-sighted on Sha'Carri's part. It's even dumber that the system tests for marijuana, as it is in no way a performance-enhancing drug, but Miss Richardson can't control that. She could control this.

Everyone deals with loss, with pain. Knowing she was about to get tested, she toked up anyway. To me, this sounds more like a dodge than a mistake--for whatever reason, she didn't _want_ to run in the Olympics, so she found a way out.

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Her official excuse? She's grieving.

OK, I'll be that guy: this was incredibly stupid and short-sighted on Sha'Carri's part. It's even dumber that the system tests for marijuana, as it is in no way a performance-enhancing drug, but Miss Richardson can't control that. She could control this.

Everyone deals with loss, with pain. Knowing she was about to get tested, she toked up anyway. To me, this sounds more like a dodge than a mistake--for whatever reason, she didn't _want_ to run in the Olympics, so she found a way out.

Doing more reading on Twitter it seems like it’s banned due to athletes using it to mask

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Doing more reading on Twitter it seems like it’s banned due to athletes using it to mask

Interesting.

With that in mind, it makes more sense to me that she toked up to mask, got busted for the cannabis, and then fell on that sword cuz PED "cheats" stand to lose any and all corporate and team sponsorships for years if not the rest of their career.

But telling everyone she hit the J cuz she's reeling from the loss of her mother, well, she gets sympathy and plaudits for that.

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/2021-olympics-brianna-mcneal-u-s-hurdle-champion-will-not-compete-in-games-after-five-year-ban-is-upheld/

American Olympic hurdler Brianna McNeal wont be allowed to defend her 100-meter hurdles title at the Tokyo Olympics. The star lost her appeal of a five-year ban for breaking anti-doping rules on Friday, The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) announced. The decision means she will not be able to race in the 100-meter hurdles at the upcoming Tokyo Olympics, an event she won at the last Olympics. 

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) heard the appeal for "tampering or attempted tampering with any part of doping control," but the judges dismissed it, making this the second ban related to doping that McNeal has dealt with in her career.

McNeal's first doping ban came in 2017, when she was forced to sit out the season as a result of missed doping tests. In a New York Times report, McNeal explained that his ban is related to missing a doping control while recovering from surgery to terminate a pregnancy in January of 2020. She told the AIU she altered the dates on her medical records after originally writing the wrong date for the surgery date.

McNeal finished second at the U.S. Olympic trials and was allowed to compete as she awaited results of the appeal.

Everyone out here talking about marijuana. What really offends me is her damn smoke detector low battery going off while she’s doing these damn interviews today. Absolutely rage inducing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Unsure how true this is but if true just stupid. 

C0034C46-6573-464F-A9A6-CF5BCFDF42EB.thumb.png.010e0d9bb7d54ce86cb1adf5517a3ad0.png

That’s accurate. The test threshold is that high because cannabis is only banned in the “competition period” which is the preceding 24 hours through the end of the individual event.

She literally smoked right before leaving her hotel since she would’ve been at the venue at least two hours prior to the race.

I don’t know how well weed would work as a masking agent but if it works well, then it’s better to take a 1-3 suspension for weed than 4 years for a PED.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 7/2/2021 at 10:57 PM, Esque said:

Everyone out here talking about marijuana. What really offends me is her damn smoke detector low battery going off while she’s doing these damn interviews today. Absolutely rage inducing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t understand people that can listen to the smoke detector chirp every few minutes. What is a single 9 volt battery? $2? 

On 7/3/2021 at 8:13 AM, CooterBrown said:

That’s accurate. The test threshold is that high because cannabis is only banned in the “competition period” which is the preceding 24 hours through the end of the individual event.

She literally smoked right before leaving her hotel since she would’ve been at the venue at least two hours prior to the race.

I don’t know how well weed would work as a masking agent but if it works well, then it’s better to take a 1-3 suspension for weed than 4 years for a PED.

this.  I suppose someone could be that stupid to not hold off for 24 hours but occam's razor applies here.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Japan is averaging 2K Covid cases/day and are freaking out and locking down. Meanwhile the US is averaging 15K cases/day and we have no more restrictions and are almost fully back to normal life. 🇺🇸 

That's because everyone here who is going to get vaxxed has gotten it, with the exception of kids under 12.  Japan is way behind us on that front.

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Tokyo banning all spectators at the Olympics.  

I'm going to serve out my spectator ban in Texas (and maybe in California as well) and NOT watch the Olympics while I do other things.

I feel like the Olympics have jumped the shark, but perhaps that's just because I'm kind of over nationalism.

Just now, Napoleon said:

I'm going to serve out my spectator ban in Texas (and maybe in California as well) and NOT watch the Olympics while I do other things.

I feel like the Olympics have jumped the shark, but perhaps that's just because I'm kind of over nationalism.

I better not see you in the Gold Cup or World Cup threads.   

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I better not see you in the Gold Cup or World Cup threads.   

I like soccer. I started playing in kindergarten. I have attended matches in 6 countries and seen Wembley from an Airplane.

I will watch quality men's soccer almost any time. It's my favorite sport to watch while exercising on a machine- 45 minutes+ without commercials, but WITH a running clock. Perfect!

I will watch the Gold Cup to see how the USMNT & Mexican teams are improving as well as identify young players who may be making the jump to Europe soon. I will watch the Copa America because I lived in Argentina for 7 1/2 years and have followed the careers of many of the older players, both Argentine and from other CONMEBOL nations. I will watch the EURO 2020 (in '21) Final to see how different styles and different players face off against each other after following many of these players' professional careers.

I do not follow gymnastics year-round to then see how one nation's team will face off against another nation's team. I do not follow swimming, unless it is to check in on UT's squads at nationals. I do not follow Track & Field all year-round, I kind of follow basketball, but not European, South American, or Asian basketball leagues, so not really interested in that, unless Argentina wins, and then I'm just interested in reading the Argentina stories of joy. I don't follow horse jumping. I don't follow archery. I don't follow cycling these days. I don't follow baseball, except for the Horns in the college World Series. Don't follow softball, women's soccer, rhythmic gymnastics, or ping pong. I will watch curling for a bit, but that's just to pick up tips in case I ever do it for fun or join a beer league.

I follow tennis, but won't tune into the Olympics to watch Novak win a Gold medal. I prefer to read about his success rather than witness it. I hope that Naomi Osaka wins the Gold, because it will just piss off a lot of people who can't get past their own miserable existences.

The World Cup is the best three months+ party in the world! I follow that like crazy, because soccer... and I have friends from nearly every European, North American, and South American nation that goes + Australia, when Australia goes. Also have some friends who were born in Iran (but left early), so that can be fun as well. Plus, most of the top players play professionally in Europe or USA/Mexico + Argentina/Brazil, so there is an awareness there as well. You have teammates and sometimes best friends (Messi & Suarez) playing against each other, you have (sometimes) catchy songs in the buildup, you have whining/overconfident/mentally fragile English fans getting wasted and sunburned, you have funny outfits and cute pet sweaters... international soccer is an international party of fun. Supporting ones players because they've followed some of these guys for over a decade rather than blind nationalism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I like soccer. I started playing in kindergarten. I have attended matches in 6 countries and seen Wembley from an Airplane.

I will watch quality men's soccer almost any time. It's my favorite sport to watch while exercising on a machine- 45 minutes+ without commercials, but WITH a running clock. Perfect!

I will watch the Gold Cup to see how the USMNT & Mexican teams are improving as well as identify young players who may be making the jump to Europe soon. I will watch the Copa America because I lived in Argentina for 7 1/2 years and have followed the careers of many of the older players, both Argentine and from other CONMEBOL nations. I will watch the EURO 2020 (in '21) Final to see how different styles and different players face off against each other after following many of these players' professional careers.

I do not follow gymnastics year-round to then see how one nation's team will face off against another nation's team. I do not follow swimming, unless it is to check in on UT's squads at nationals. I do not follow Track & Field all year-round, I kind of follow basketball, but not European, South American, or Asian basketball leagues, so not really interested in that, unless Argentina wins, and then I'm just interested in reading the Argentina stories of joy. I don't follow horse jumping. I don't follow archery. I don't follow cycling these days. I don't follow baseball, except for the Horns in the college World Series. Don't follow softball, women's soccer, rhythmic gymnastics, or ping pong. I will watch curling for a bit, but that's just to pick up tips in case I ever do it for fun or join a beer league.

I follow tennis, but won't tune into the Olympics to watch Novak win a Gold medal. I prefer to read about his success rather than witness it. I hope that Naomi Osaka wins the Gold, because it will just piss off a lot of people who can't get past their own miserable existences.

The World Cup is the best three months+ party in the world! I follow that like crazy, because soccer... and I have friends from nearly every European, North American, and South American nation that goes + Australia, when Australia goes. Also have some friends who were born in Iran (but left early), so that can be fun as well. Plus, most of the top players play professionally in Europe or USA/Mexico + Argentina/Brazil, so there is an awareness there as well. You have teammates and sometimes best friends (Messi & Suarez) playing against each other, you have (sometimes) catchy songs in the buildup, you have whining/overconfident/mentally fragile English fans getting wasted and sunburned, you have funny outfits and cute pet sweaters... international soccer is an international party of fun. Supporting ones players because they've followed some of these guys for over a decade rather than blind nationalism.

I wouldn’t call supporting your fellow countrymen in the Olympics or in National soccer tourneys blind nationalism.  But you do you.   

were you not entertained watching Usain Bolt break records while also cheering on whomever the US is trotting out there?   C’mon man 

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I wouldn’t call supporting your fellow countrymen in the Olympics or in National soccer tourneys blind nationalism.  But you do you.   

were you not entertained watching Usain Bolt break records while also cheering on whomever the US is trotting out there?   C’mon man 

I used to care. I watched over 100 hours of the 1984 Olympics. 

The fucking of Roy Jones Jr in Seoul started to turn me off of them. I then switched to only really caring about timed sports or sports where winning & losing is determined by the athletes, not judges who hold grudges or are on the take.

When I was in Europe in ‘97 and there was a bombing in Stockholm to discourage awarding them the Olympics followed by Athens being awarded the 2004 games…

…and then I went to Athens and from the Acropolis, I could see that Athens was a city in a bowl, covered by smog soup, I thought “Who were the fucking imbeciles that chose this polluted spot were obviously not former athletes. 

Then Greece went into default due to money wasted on the Olympics and kickbacks to the wealthy & powerful and…

…watching a bit of the 2008 Olympics through Argentine eyes, I just completely accepted what a joke the Olympics are as an “international competition” and the Winter Olympics may as well be called the “White Olympics”. And then there are the government organized doping countries vs the corporate funded doping athletes vs the poor from poor and they can compete with the dopers and…

It’s cool to say the Olympics suck but I still think it makes for great TV. I don’t spend a second thinking about Olympic sports most of the time but they can put that shit straight into my veins for 3 weeks every two years. Doesn’t matter the sport.

I’m an expansionist, too. I want to see weird shit I know nothing about.  Skateboarding? Absolutely. Breakdancing? Yep. Fuckin’ video games? Why the hell not?

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I used to care. I watched over 100 hours of the 1984 Olympics. 

The fucking of Roy Jones Jr in Seoul started to turn me off of them. I then switched to only really caring about timed sports or sports where winning & losing is determined by the athletes, not judges who hold grudges or are on the take.

When I was in Europe in ‘97 and there was a bombing in Stockholm to discourage awarding them the Olympics followed by Athens being awarded the 2004 games…

…and then I went to Athens and from the Acropolis, I could see that Athens was a city in a bowl, covered by smog soup, I thought “Who were the fucking imbeciles that chose this polluted spot were obviously not former athletes. 

Then Greece went into default due to money wasted on the Olympics and kickbacks to the wealthy & powerful and…

…watching a bit of the 2008 Olympics through Argentine eyes, I just completely accepted what a joke the Olympics are as an “international competition” and the Winter Olympics may as well be called the “White Olympics”. And then there are the government organized doping countries vs the corporate funded doping athletes vs the poor from poor and they can compete with the dopers and…

I bet you are really fun at parties.  Fucking myopia overload 

Edited by Trey3216

The events of the Olympics should be great.  If a combination of the NCAA, all of the alphabet sanctioning bodies of boxing, and corrupt criminals weren't running it; the Olympics would still be awesome.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

The events of the Olympics should be great.  If a combination of the NCAA, all of the alphabet sanctioning bodies of boxing, and corrupt criminals weren't running it; the Olympics would still be awesome.

In a non pandemic Olympics, the Olympic Village is a dream of fucking the fittest people from around the world at the drop of a hat. 

THAT would be a pinnacle of anyone’s sex life and now could be a source of insane revenue for athletes with OnlyFans accounts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 8:57 AM, perfectchaos007 said:

The Olympic village is probably going to suck for the athletes this year because of Covid protocol 

its gonna be hella boring thats for sure. 

For the most part, these folks, based on their ages alone, especially the vaxxed ones are realtively safe.   But no one is going to want to be near anyone else for fear of getting exposed to covid.

Japan aint fucking around.   unlike the American sports teams, even if you are fully vaxxed, they are still getting tested. 

and if you are flagged as having been exposed  to a known positive, it pretty much means your olympic dream is over because even if you keep testing negative, Japan wont let you compete for the next week or so.. and these only last 16 days. 

that being said, Japan is gonna lose an absolute shitload of money on these games.  They spent somewhere around  $26 BILLION on getting the games ready.

according to this article from Reuters, only somewhere around $4B is covered by the Olympic committee and sponsorships. 

they had planned on getting $800M from ticket sales.... which obviously wont happen.     and I guess Japan figured they would make another $1B or so from fees and taxes paid by visitors. 

I mean holy shit...   thats looking like a $22B loss....      

its gonna be hella boring thats for sure. 

For the most part, these folks, based on their ages alone, especially the vaxxed ones are realtively safe.   But no one is going to want to be near anyone else for fear of getting exposed to covid.
Japan aint fucking around.   unlike the American sports teams, even if you are fully vaxxed, they are still getting tested. 
and if you are flagged as having been exposed  to a known positive, it pretty much means your olympic dream is over because even if you keep testing negative, Japan wont let you compete for the next week or so.. and these only last 16 days. 

that being said, Japan is gonna lose an absolute shitload of money on these games.  They spent somewhere around  $26 BILLION on getting the games ready.
according to this article from Reuters, only somewhere around $4B is covered by the Olympic committee and sponsorships. 
they had planned on getting $800M from ticket sales.... which obviously wont happen.     and I guess Japan figured they would make another $1B or so from fees and taxes paid by visitors. 
I mean holy shit...   thats looking like a $22B loss....      

Wikipedia says Rio 2016 lost $2 billion after spending $11 billion. Also says China spent $44 billion in 2008 with no information on loses, but it's China so who the hell knows. Rio did build some subway lines with that money that are presumably still be used.

• blacklab changed the title to Olympics, better late than never