Thread for people banned from DT till coronavirus goes away

immamac

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Who are the snow flakes ?  The posters not wanting to have to read endless "your party sucks", "no party sucks" shit, or the posters who aren't allowed to post "your party sucks and mine is better", even though there are threads specifically for that kind of post.

Both. Maybe you (not you you, the royal you) should stop crying like a little bitch about everything that hurts your fee fees. If someone posts "the federal government's response to this crisis was dogshit", maybe people should stop taking that as a political attack on their chosen Washington, DC local sports team and crying to the mods about it. If someone posts "man Trump is a dipshit", maybe don't take it as a personal attack and cry to the mods about it. And vice versa for the other team. Because that is 100% what this is about, not what you're saying.

Trying to have a thread about a fucking global pandemic where any and all political discussion is banned is complete and total lunacy because A) the response of our leadership is really fucking important, and B) you literally cannot have the conversation at all without talking about policy. It's honestly the stupidest, snowflakiest load of horseshit I've ever seen out of a group of ostensibly adult humans with responsibilities that go beyond "keep my yard mowed so my HA doesn't start complaining".

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Like 5

^^^^^^^^^^^^

there's a place for that discussion.  leave it there.

Bottom line is that the discussion itself is not enough.  Some are left somehow unfillfilled by not getting to shout down everyone and tell them how stupid they are for not buying their team's gameplan.  It's a fucking beating most folks don't enjoy.

There are posters who are semi-active in the mosh pit who have repeatedly posted constructively in the DT thread.  Why that is impossible for others, well, we know why...

Because just having a good-faith discussion is NEVER enough.  That's why CR exists.

Edited by Iceman

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Both. Maybe you (not you you, the royal you) should stop crying like a little bitch about everything that hurts your fee fees. If someone posts "the federal government's response to this crisis was dogshit", maybe people should stop taking that as a political attack on their chosen Washington, DC local sports team and crying to the mods about it. 

Trying to have a thread about a fucking global pandemic where any and all political discussion is banned is complete and total lunacy because A) the response of our leadership is really fucking important, and B) you literally cannot have the conversation at all without talking about policy. It's honestly the stupidest, snowflakiest load of horseshit I've ever seen out of a group of ostensibly adult humans with responsibilities that go beyond "keep my yard mowed so my HA doesn't start complaining".

If it would stop there fine (and it did fuck up like most other gov'ts did), but it never does. It's always a crack in the door to go off on everything not related to the issue being discussed. The thread title had to be changed from Chinese Corona virus to Covid 19 because someone was offended by the factual description of the origin of the virus, and resulting thread title.

There are people who simply can't discuss politics without getting personal, and being complete assholes (and not funny assholes, which is part of Surly IMO).

It's why we can't have nice things here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkleton said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve always thought MK as an associate prof for sociology, or some useless crap like that, and never having a real job. No family or kids and lives in a small dingy apartment off of Guadalupe st.

For some reason, this post helps that belief......

It’s really driving the cloak room morons nuts that no one except their echo chamber buddies (or their ilk, did I do that right?) will engage with them.  It’s pathetic and I feel sorry for them. 

not really.  It’s actually amusing and entertaining.

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 5

To be even more thorough, there are many of us who would have normally been on team DT given our substantial ties to one particular party.  But we have to go team CR because of the absolutely sublime response by our nation.  Some of us literally have no proper thread on which to pontificate because the only thing that can be discussed on one is China Suckage and on the other, is Trump Suckage.  Some of us hate and actively work against both.  But you fucksticks force us to choose or be banned.

35 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

It’s really driving the cloak room morons nuts that no one except their echo chamber buddies (or their ilk, did I do that right?) will engage with them.  It’s pathetic and I feel sorry for them. 

not really.  It’s actually amusing and entertaining.

Oh it's this all day long.  I think they're working in shifts trying to get a rise out of someone not in the cabal cesspool.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh it's this all day long.  I think they're working in shifts trying to get a rise out of someone not in the cabal cesspool.

Absolutely.  What’s more entertaining is when the run back to the cloak room and complain about it in there.  Lol. 

• Like 2

Just now, EuroHorn said:

Absolutely.  What’s more entertaining is when the run back to the cloak room and complain about it in there.  Lol. 

Probably.      Waaaah they won't listen to me..... waaaah I is important, I is smart, I is pretty ..... I've got things to say, and need to be heard..... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH. 

Frustrating part to me is that if we were 8-10 guys out for a Surly Happy Hour, it would go off without a hitch.  No agendas, no vitriol, etc, etc.

But on this board, by God you will bow down to my political views, motherfuckers.    LOLz.

Whatever...

• Like 1

Frustrating part to me is that if we were 8-10 guys out for a Surly Happy Hour, it would go off without a hitch.  No agendas, no vitriol, etc, etc.
But on this board, by God you will bow down to my political views, motherfuckers.    LOLz.
Whatever...

Everyone is brave behind a keyboard.

On 4/25/2020 at 12:06 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The non-political thread is clearly for self described conservatives only.  If you have a liberal political opinion, you are supposed to post in the cloak room. This is the passive aggressive vibe I’m getting.  Some people need safe spaces.  

Buuuuuullshit, typical CR speak.  Liberal or conservative leave the politics outside. You seem to be incapable of that. The" liberal opinion" is whatever you say is the truth is, and what anyone else says is just wrong, just ask us, we'll tell you.

Jesus you're a beating even for a paid, shill, bot.  If you can't bring a political angle that bashes the other team you're a deaf mute, other than the whining that you can't bring the liberal political opinion into every thread you ever visit.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The non-political thread is clearly for self described conservatives only.  If you have a liberal political opinion, you are supposed to post in the cloak room. This is the passive aggressive vibe I’m getting.  Some people need safe spaces.  

Jfc, you’re a beating. Outside the Cloak Room, nobody  gives a fuck about your political opinions or the 100s of Twitter posts that you pass on daily.  Is that too passive for you? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Whatever...

That's because we're united in a single thought at the pregame HH

OUSUX 

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Buuuuuullshit, typical CR speak.  Liberal or conservative leave the politics outside. You are incapable of that. The" liberal opinion" is whatever you say is the truth is, and what anyone else says is just wrong, just ask us, we'll tell you.

Jesus you're a beating even for a paid, shill, bot.  If you can't bring a political angle that bashes the other team you're a deaf mute, other than the whining that you can't bring the liberal political opinion into every thread you ever visit.

You can't leave politics outside the door for a topic/situation that 100% demonstrably requires and has received multiple political solutions/responses. You just can't. It'd be nice if we lived in an alternate reality where this is possible, but we don't.

Just about everything we are doing with regard to this pandemic is a result of public policy decisions made by politicians. You simply can't have a discussion about it while attempting to sanitize it of any and all political mention, that's why I say it's lunacy.

The whining is absolutely one-sided here, and this is coming from someone that has basically avoided all discussion DT or CR.

To give a real example without using names, if someone makes a post saying we should be proud of our federal government's response to the pandemic, and then someone calls them out and says "no we shouldn't", I guarantee you I know which post would be whined about to the mods even though they are both exactly equally political in nature.

• Like 4

I still can’t figure out how blaming China for this virus is political. It’s fact. It has no party bias. No Libtard or Cheeto in there anywhere? Some people just want to be turds. It’s best that they remain in the outhouse that is the CR.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You can't leave politics outside the door for a topic/situation that 100% demonstrably requires and has received multiple political solutions/responses. You just can't. It'd be nice if we lived in an alternate reality where this is possible, but we don't.

Just about everything we are doing with regard to this pandemic is a result of public policy decisions made by politicians. You simply can't have a discussion about it while attempting to sanitize it of any and all political mention, that's why I say it's lunacy.

The whining is absolutely one-sided here, and this is coming from someone that has basically avoided all discussion DT or CR.

To give a real example without using names, if someone makes a post saying we should be proud of our federal government's response to the pandemic, and then someone calls them out and says "no we shouldn't", I guarantee you I know which post would be whined about to the mods even though they are both exactly equally political in nature.

Yeah ya can. Letting it become politically driven becomes the biased (both ways) cesspool of CR you suck no you suck. How don't you get that ?

45 minutes ago, Hate said:

I still can’t figure out how blaming China for this virus is political. It’s fact. It has no party bias. No Libtard or Cheeto in there anywhere? Some people just want to be turds. It’s best that they remain in the outhouse that is the CR.

It’s the Chinese Government’s fault for not doing a better job of containing the virus and it’s our fault for being dumb enough to trust the Chinese government to handle it honestly.  We knew the threat existed, it is on us to defend ourselves from the virus.  Blaming China for our own failure at containment is where this gets political.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s the Chinese Government’s fault for not doing a better job of containing the virus and it’s our fault for being dumb enough to trust the Chinese government to handle it honestly.  We knew the threat existed, it is on us to defend ourselves from the virus.  Blaming China for our own failure at containment is where this gets political.

Blaming China for the origination of the virus is in no way saying anyone but we are responsible for dealing with it. Who's saying anything contrary to that ?    Where are you getting this theory ?

What you and the boys have tried to do is make it seem like the US is unique in it's response to the virus.  We alone didn't prepare for or take it seriously around dec. of 2016 (yes 2016, sarcasm of course).  We fucked up in not closing down earlier.  The CDC screwed up the first test attempt. We didn't shut down fast enough.  You can put that on federal, state level, and city officials (Looking right at NYC ).

So in the end it's you who make this political because you hate the current admin, and anything you can do to bash it, like float some bizarre concept republicans are saying China is to blame for our failures is gonna piss right out your little tiny e penis.

• Like 4

So let's talk about how "we" screwed up our response to this virus. 

Mid November - the first known case of the virus appears from a wet market in China

https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html

December 31 China reports to the WHO that a mysterious pneumonia like sickness is spreading

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/timeline-coronavirus-started/story?id=69435165

January 8 the CDC makes a public statement about the coronavirus and issues a Travel 1 alert for Wuhan, but says travelers into and out of Wuhan take no extraordinary precautions.

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00424.asp

January 14, the WHO says that there is no evidence that coronavirus is transmitted human to human

January 15, the first known person to test positive for coronavirus lands in the US from Wuhan along with 11 other US citizens that later would test positive.  Nine of those patients are know to have contracted the virus in Wuhan while the other two were in close contact to at least one of those nine.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6905e1.htm

On January 21, 2020, the first person in the United States with diagnosed 2019-nCoV infection was reported. As of February 4, a total of 293 persons from 36 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands were under investigation based on current patient under investigation (PUI) definitions, and also included those being evaluated because they are close contacts. Of these PUIs, 11 patients have confirmed 2019-nCoV infection using a real-time reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) assay developed by CDC. These 11 cases were diagnosed in the following states: Arizona (one), California (six), Illinois (two), Massachusetts (one), and Washington (one) (Table). Nine cases were in travelers from Wuhan. Eight of these nine cases were identified as a result of patients seeking clinical care for symptoms and clinicians connecting with the appropriate public health systems. Two cases (one each in California and Illinois) occurred in close contacts of two confirmed cases and were diagnosed as part of routine monitoring of case contacts. All patients are being monitored closely for progressing illness. No deaths have been reported in the United States.

As late as January 31, the WHO was still not recommending any changes to international travel and was expressing confidence in China

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/who-declares-china-coronavirus-a-global-health-emergency.html

January 31 all travel from China is stopped and all US citizens coming from China are required to quarantine for 14 days even though the WHO says it is not necessary. 

As late as February 17, Dr Fauci (you know, science!!) is saying the chance of transmission and is expressing confidence that China is handling this correctly and is not "fudging" thier numbers.  Dr Fauci (you know, science!!) is quoted as saying the "Danger of getting coronavirus now is just minusculely low".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/02/17/new-coronavirus-what-dont-we-know-dr-anthony-fauci-q-a-opinion/4790996002/

Now based off of that timeline into mid February what should we have done differently?  Should we have ordered 10,000 respirator and PEP equipment when the top scientist in the country is saying the danger is minusculely low??  Should we have shut down the economy then and plunged our country to the brink of a depression because of what was known at the time?? 

I'm not being flippant, but those of you who want to criticize our response please elaborate as to what we should have done better.  Should we have had more tests?  I guess initially, but honestly by mid February it was already too late, especially for places like NY.  I'm not absolving our government of responsibility for our safety. I'm genuinely curios how you think we should have reacted based on the facts above.  And please feel free to posts other facts that I may have missed. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Hate said:

Mid November - the first known case of the virus appears from a wet market in China

December 31 China reports to the WHO that a mysterious pneumonia like sickness is spreading

January 8 the CDC makes a public statement about the coronavirus and issues a Travel 1 alert for Wuhan, but says travelers into and out of Wuhan take no extraordinary precautions.

January 14, the WHO says that there is no evidence that coronavirus is transmitted human to human

January 15, the first known person to test positive for coronavirus lands in the US from Wuhan along with 11 other US citizens that later would test positive.  Nine of those patients are know to have contracted the virus in Wuhan while the other two were in close contact to at least one of those nine.

On January 21, 2020, the first person in the United States with diagnosed 2019-nCoV infection was reported. As of February 4, a total of 293 persons from 36 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands were under investigation based on current patient under investigation (PUI) definitions, and also included those being evaluated because they are close contacts. Of these PUIs, 11 patients have confirmed 2019-nCoV infection using a real-time reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) assay developed by CDC. These 11 cases were diagnosed in the following states: Arizona (one), California (six), Illinois (two), Massachusetts (one), and Washington (one) (Table). Nine cases were in travelers from Wuhan. Eight of these nine cases were identified as a result of patients seeking clinical care for symptoms and clinicians connecting with the appropriate public health systems. Two cases (one each in California and Illinois) occurred in close contacts of two confirmed cases and were diagnosed as part of routine monitoring of case contacts. All patients are being monitored closely for progressing illness. No deaths have been reported in the United States.

As late as January 31, the WHO was still not recommending any changes to international travel and was expressing confidence in China

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/who-declares-china-coronavirus-a-global-health-emergency.html

January 31 all travel from China is stopped and all US citizens coming from China are required to quarantine for 14 days even though the WHO says it is not necessary. 

As late as February 17, Dr Fauci (you know, science!!) is saying the chance of transmission and is expressing confidence that China is handling this correctly and is not "fudging" thier numbers.  Dr Fauci (you know, science!!) is quoted as saying the "Danger of getting coronavirus now is just minusculely low".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/02/17/new-coronavirus-what-dont-we-know-dr-anthony-fauci-q-a-opinion/4790996002/

Now based off of that timeline into mid February what should we have done differently?  Should we have ordered 10,000 respirator and PEP equipment when the top scientist in the country is saying the danger is minusculely low??  Should we have shut down the economy then and plunged our country to the brink of a depression because of what was known at the time?? 

I'm not being flippant, but those of you who want to criticize our response please elaborate as to what we should have done better.  Should we have had more tests?  I guess initially, but honestly by mid February it was already too late, especially for places like NY.  I'm not absolving our government of responsibility for our safety. I'm genuinely curios how you think we should have reacted based on the facts above.  And please feel free to posts other facts that I may have missed. 

Meh, yer just making all that retarded shit up.  

November orders for ventilators , masks, gloves and field hospitals should have been going out (can't believe the WHO).

December should have seen gov't programs, and PSA's about how masks, and ventilators would be great Christmas stocking  stuffers.  All incoming  international flights should have been cancelled.

January we should have been in shutting the fuck down phase with all businesses nationwide.

By February all people should have been in SIP mode.

March should have been our flattening month

We'd now be over the terrible virus.... but you know trump....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah ya can. Letting it become politically driven becomes the biased (both ways) cesspool of CR you suck no you suck. How don't you get that ?

Actually I think we just need to rename the DT thread, since there are now several actual DT threads discussing facts.  Let's just call it the non-political policy thread (i.e., feel free to discuss all sorts of governmental and economic policy ideas so long as it's not anything negative about the current federal administration).

30 minutes ago, Hate said:

Stahp.

Just now, DDD Dad said:

Actually I think we just need to rename the DT thread, since there are now several actual DT threads discussing facts.  Let's just call it the non-political policy thread (i.e., feel free to discuss all sorts of governmental and economic policy ideas so long as it's not anything negative about the current federal administration).

Yet again, you try, and fail....... You're good at it though.

Stahp.

Stop what? I’m not taking sides. I’m not saying it was handled perfectly. What would have done based on the information that I posted above? Feel free to add to it if there is something factual that shows bad decision making. I’m genuinely curious.

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You can't escape human nature is my point. This pandemic's tentacles reach so deep into American politics that it is inescapable and insane to try and moderate the discussion with the caveat of no politics. That's all I'm saying.

Also I can't really take anything in DT very seriously considering there's a creepy ass dude that constantly, gleefully posts in there about living in the Philippines so he can fuck young, disadvantaged girls so yeah.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 1:47 PM, Hate said:

Yes, lets DO talk about how trump and the government have responded:

Spoiler

Jan 8 - First CDC warning on Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Jan 9 - Trump campaign rally

Jan 14 - Trump campaign rally

Jan 18 - Trump golfs

Jan 19 - Trump golfs

Jan 20 - first case of COVID-19 in the US, Washington State.

Jan 22 - “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”

Jan 28 - Trump campaign rally

Jan 30 - Trump campaign rally

Jan 30 - WHO declares Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/924596

Jan 31 - Trump announces China travel restrictions.

Feb 1 - Trump golfs

Feb 2 - Starts China travel restrictions

Feb 2 - “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China."

Feb 5 - HHS Secretary Azar requested $2 billion to buy respirator masks & other supplies for the national stockpile. Trump cut request by 75%

Feb 10 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 11 - At a rally, Trump says the virus will 'miraculously go away' with warmer weather. Meanwhile, the white house releases fiscal budget plan which proposes large budget cuts to the CDC and NIH

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/925130 Feb 12 - Dow Jones closes at an all time high of 29,551.42

Feb 15 - Trump golfs

Feb 19 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 20 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 21 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 24 - “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

Feb 25 - “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”

Feb 25 - “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”

Feb 26 - “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”

Feb 26 - “We're going very substantially down, not up.”

Feb 26 - "This is a flu. This is like a flu"; "Now, you treat this like a flu"; "It's a little like the regular flu that we have flu shots for. And we'll essentially have a flu shot for this in a fairly quick manner."

Feb 27 - “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

Feb 28 - “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”

Feb 28 - "The press is in Hysteria mode!" Over covid19

Feb 28 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 29 - First COVID-19 death in US

Mar 2 - “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”

Mar 2 - “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”

Mar 4 - “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”

Mar 5 - “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”

Mar 5 - “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”

Mar 6 - “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”

Mar 6 - “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

Mar 6 - “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

Mar 6 - “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”

Mar 6 -"It came out of China... we closed it down, we stopped it."

Mar 7 - Trump golfs

Mar 8 - Trump golfs

Mar 8 - “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”

Mar 9 - "The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant.”

Mar 9 - “This blindsided the world.”

Mar 9 - "The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/486559-trump-fake-news-media-democrats-working-to-inflame-the-coronavirus

Mar 10 - "It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

Mar10 - Trump Addresses the Nation - closes travel to 26 countries in Europe, exempting those that contain Trump Resorts.

Mar 11 - Trump corrects multiple major misstatements in his national address.

https://www.salon.com/2020/03/12/officials-walk-back-numerous-inaccurate-claims-made-by-trump-during-bungled-coronavirus-address/

Mar 12 - Finally ordered N95masks

Mar 13 - [Declared state of emergency]

Mar 13 - " I dont take responsibility at all."

Mar 14 - Young Asian-American family of 4 stabbed in TX Sam's Club by man who thinks they're responsible for COVID.

Mar 15 - "It's a very contagious virus. It's incredible. But it's something we have tremendous control of."

Mar 15 - 3,613 COVID-19 cases, 69 deaths

Mar 17 - “This is a pandemic,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”

Mar 18 - "It’s not racist at all. No. Not at all. It comes from China. That’s why. It comes from China. I want to be accurate."

Mar 19 - "And we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately, and that’s where the FDA has been so great. They — they’ve gone through the approval process. It’s been approved."

Mar 19 - FDA "Chrloroquine has not been approved for use against COVID-19."

Mar 20 - Trump says he is going to enact the Defense Production Act

Mar 23 - Dow Jones closes at 18,591.93

Mar 23 - "You look at automobile accidents, which are far greater than any numbers we're talking about. That doesn't mean we're going to tell everybody no more driving of cars. So we have to do things to get our country open."

Mar 25 - 3.3 million Americans file for unemployment.

Mar 26 - “You call it a germ, you can call it a flu, you can call it a virus. You know, you can call it many different names. I'm not sure anybody even knows what it is...”

Mar 27 - Activates Defense Production Act

Mar 30 - Dow Jones closes at 21,917.16

Apr 1 - "Did you know I was number one on Facebook?"

Apr 2 - 6.6 million Americans file for unemployment.

Apr 3 - 270,062 COVID-19 cases, 6,927 deaths.

Apr 4 - “Maybe we could allow special, for churches, maybe we could talk about it. Maybe we could allow them, with great separation outside, on Easter Sunday. I don’t know, it's something we should talk about,” he said. 

“We have to get this country open. This country was not designed to be closed...we're paying people to stay home...and they want to go to work.”

Apr 5 - More then 9000 deaths in US from Covid-19. More than active service members killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Apr 6 - "I answered this 15 times. You don't have to answer." -- Trump prevents Dr Fauci from answering a question about hydroxychloroquine

Apr 7 - Trump threatens to pull funding from WHO

The whole Hannity interview. Just a couple snippets. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/politics/donald-trump-sean-hannity-coronavirus/index.html

Apr 10 - Trump administration announces employers dont have to report corona virus cases unless you are in the health care industry. https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/12/former-osha-officials-voice-alarm-trump-tells-corporations-they-dont-have-record

“This is a very brilliant enemy. You know, it’s a brilliant enemy. They develop drugs like the antibiotics. You see it. Antibiotics used to solve every problem. Now one of the biggest problems the world has is the germ has gotten so brilliant that the antibiotic can’t keep up with it."

He added: “We’re fighting – not only is it hidden, but it’s very smart. Okay? It’s invisible and it’s hidden, but it’s – it’s very smart.”

Apr 11 - Trump asked White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Anthony Fauci, “Why don’t we let this wash over the country?”

Apr 13 - Trump claims absolute authority over states governors

Apr 13 - "The media minimized the risk from the start."

To answer your question of "what should we have done given the Jan/Feb timeline?", on Feb 5 we probably shouldn't have cut by 75% the request from HHS for PPE for the national stockpile. Six days later on the 11th, the WH probably shouldn't have released a budget proposal that drastically cut NIH and CDC funding. On Feb 28th, the WH shouldn't have lied about saying that we're buying tons more PPE and signaling to states and first responders that the national stockpile will be available.

Shit, that's not even getting to the stories all around the country and abroad of the feds swooping in and stealing shipments of PPE from domestic hospitals and strategic allies. All while REFUSING to use the powers of the Defense Production Act to compel domestic companies to jump-start domestic production.

Yalls "see no evil, hear no evil" methodology is really frustrating regarding these FACTS that you neglected to include in your post, and is absolutely political to be excusing maladministration. We can do better, to act like "nobody could do a better job" (gee, where have I heard that before?) is just fucking aggy-levels of kool-aid drinking. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 5:47 PM, Armybrat said:

I’d prefer not to talk about anything CRoomy in the DT with mouth foamers like the CR ilk. Neither does the vast majority of Surly.

So quit whining about it ad nauseam like a titty baby.

Explain to me how a thread congratulating the UK for leaving the EU belonged in the "Daily Texan" forum?

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Yes, lets DO talk about how trump and the government have responded:

Reveal hidden contents

Jan 8 - First CDC warning on Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Jan 9 - Trump campaign rally

Jan 14 - Trump campaign rally

Jan 18 - Trump golfs

Jan 19 - Trump golfs

Jan 20 - first case of COVID-19 in the US, Washington State.

Jan 22 - “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”

Jan 28 - Trump campaign rally

Jan 30 - Trump campaign rally

Jan 30 - WHO declares Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/924596

Jan 31 - Trump announces China travel restrictions.

Feb 1 - Trump golfs

Feb 2 - Starts China travel restrictions

Feb 2 - “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China."

Feb 5 - HHS Secretary Azar requested $2 billion to buy respirator masks & other supplies for the national stockpile. Trump cut request by 75%

Feb 10 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 11 - At a rally, Trump says the virus will 'miraculously go away' with warmer weather. Meanwhile, the white house releases fiscal budget plan which proposes large budget cuts to the CDC and NIH

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/925130 Feb 12 - Dow Jones closes at an all time high of 29,551.42

Feb 15 - Trump golfs

Feb 19 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 20 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 21 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 24 - “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

Feb 25 - “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”

Feb 25 - “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”

Feb 26 - “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”

Feb 26 - “We're going very substantially down, not up.”

Feb 26 - "This is a flu. This is like a flu"; "Now, you treat this like a flu"; "It's a little like the regular flu that we have flu shots for. And we'll essentially have a flu shot for this in a fairly quick manner."

Feb 27 - “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

Feb 28 - “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”

Feb 28 - "The press is in Hysteria mode!" Over covid19

Feb 28 - Trump campaign rally

Feb 29 - First COVID-19 death in US

Mar 2 - “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”

Mar 2 - “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”

Mar 4 - “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”

Mar 5 - “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”

Mar 5 - “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”

Mar 6 - “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”

Mar 6 - “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

Mar 6 - “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

Mar 6 - “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”

Mar 6 -"It came out of China... we closed it down, we stopped it."

Mar 7 - Trump golfs

Mar 8 - Trump golfs

Mar 8 - “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”

Mar 9 - "The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant.”

Mar 9 - “This blindsided the world.”

Mar 9 - "The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/486559-trump-fake-news-media-democrats-working-to-inflame-the-coronavirus

Mar 10 - "It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

Mar10 - Trump Addresses the Nation - closes travel to 26 countries in Europe, exempting those that contain Trump Resorts.

Mar 11 - Trump corrects multiple major misstatements in his national address.

https://www.salon.com/2020/03/12/officials-walk-back-numerous-inaccurate-claims-made-by-trump-during-bungled-coronavirus-address/

Mar 12 - Finally ordered N95masks

Mar 13 - [Declared state of emergency]

Mar 13 - " I dont take responsibility at all."

Mar 14 - Young Asian-American family of 4 stabbed in TX Sam's Club by man who thinks they're responsible for COVID.

Mar 15 - "It's a very contagious virus. It's incredible. But it's something we have tremendous control of."

Mar 15 - 3,613 COVID-19 cases, 69 deaths

Mar 17 - “This is a pandemic,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”

Mar 18 - "It’s not racist at all. No. Not at all. It comes from China. That’s why. It comes from China. I want to be accurate."

Mar 19 - "And we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately, and that’s where the FDA has been so great. They — they’ve gone through the approval process. It’s been approved."

Mar 19 - FDA "Chrloroquine has not been approved for use against COVID-19."

Mar 20 - Trump says he is going to enact the Defense Production Act

Mar 23 - Dow Jones closes at 18,591.93

Mar 23 - "You look at automobile accidents, which are far greater than any numbers we're talking about. That doesn't mean we're going to tell everybody no more driving of cars. So we have to do things to get our country open."

Mar 25 - 3.3 million Americans file for unemployment.

Mar 26 - “You call it a germ, you can call it a flu, you can call it a virus. You know, you can call it many different names. I'm not sure anybody even knows what it is...”

Mar 27 - Activates Defense Production Act

Mar 30 - Dow Jones closes at 21,917.16

Apr 1 - "Did you know I was number one on Facebook?"

Apr 2 - 6.6 million Americans file for unemployment.

Apr 3 - 270,062 COVID-19 cases, 6,927 deaths.

Apr 4 - “Maybe we could allow special, for churches, maybe we could talk about it. Maybe we could allow them, with great separation outside, on Easter Sunday. I don’t know, it's something we should talk about,” he said. 

“We have to get this country open. This country was not designed to be closed...we're paying people to stay home...and they want to go to work.”

Apr 5 - More then 9000 deaths in US from Covid-19. More than active service members killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Apr 6 - "I answered this 15 times. You don't have to answer." -- Trump prevents Dr Fauci from answering a question about hydroxychloroquine

Apr 7 - Trump threatens to pull funding from WHO

The whole Hannity interview. Just a couple snippets. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/politics/donald-trump-sean-hannity-coronavirus/index.html

Apr 10 - Trump administration announces employers dont have to report corona virus cases unless you are in the health care industry. https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/12/former-osha-officials-voice-alarm-trump-tells-corporations-they-dont-have-record

“This is a very brilliant enemy. You know, it’s a brilliant enemy. They develop drugs like the antibiotics. You see it. Antibiotics used to solve every problem. Now one of the biggest problems the world has is the germ has gotten so brilliant that the antibiotic can’t keep up with it."

He added: “We’re fighting – not only is it hidden, but it’s very smart. Okay? It’s invisible and it’s hidden, but it’s – it’s very smart.”

Apr 11 - Trump asked White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Anthony Fauci, “Why don’t we let this wash over the country?”

Apr 13 - Trump claims absolute authority over states governors

Apr 13 - "The media minimized the risk from the start."

To answer your question of "what should we have done given the Jan/Feb timeline?", on Feb 5 we probably shouldn't have cut by 75% the request from HHS for PPE for the national stockpile. Six days later on the 11th, the WH probably shouldn't have released a budget proposal that drastically cut NIH and CDC funding. On Feb 28th, the WH shouldn't have lied about saying that we're buying tons more PPE and signaling to states and first responders that the national stockpile will be available.

Shit, that's not even getting to the stories all around the country and abroad of the feds swooping in and stealing shipments of PPE from domestic hospitals and strategic allies. All while REFUSING to use the powers of the Defense Production Act to compel domestic companies to jump-start domestic production.

Yalls "see no evil, hear no evil" methodology is really frustrating regarding these FACTS that you neglected to include in your post, and is absolutely political to be excusing maladministration. We can do better, to act like "nobody could do a better job" (gee, where have I heard that before?) is just fucking aggy-levels of kool-aid drinking. 

Nobody is saying things weren't  done incorrectly. I mean we have such a strong history with dealing with world wide pandemics.  Love the golf anecdotes, gov't stops when the POTUS is golfing....we all know that.

The federal gov't moves as swiftly as a gazelle being chased by a hungry lion, right ....... right ??  The gist is There was no way that that things weren't going to go wrong, we (and most of  the rest of the world) were going to make mistakes in delaying closures, getting supplies (Dr. Faucci in March wasn't onboard with how this thing spread.

This is typical administration lambasting by the CR cabal. They should have had 100% foresight into this issue, and everything should have been done with clockwork precision.  

It's cool, I know a democrat president wouldn't have done anything wrong, and everything would have gone off with precision, and transparency. The nation would have been shut down January 1.  (this last statement  encapsulates the day to day, CR, delusional mind set).

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nobody is saying things weren't  done incorrectly. I mean we have such a strong history with dealing with world wide pandemics.  Love the golf anecdotes, gov't stops when the POTUS is golfing....we all know that.

Well, when POTUS claims "absolute authority" and is changing policy on the fly from the bully pulpit, as well as directing federal agencies like the VA and FDA to back untested treatments like HCQ. Which in turn led states to spend tons of money buying up drugs that were useless. But also the anecdotes with him golfing are relevant to dubunking the "couldn't do a better job" narrative that's being pushed.

The federal gov't moves as swiftly as a gazelle being chased by a hungry lion, right ....... right ??  The gist is There was no way that that things weren't going to go wrong, we (and most of  the rest of the world) were going to make mistakes in delaying closures, getting supplies (Dr. Faucci in March wasn't onboard with how this thing spread.

This is typical administration lambasting by the CR cabal. They should have had 100% foresight into this issue, and everything should have been done with clockwork precision.  

Great job overlooking the specific and cited examples I provided on the feds now stealing supplies from states and allied nations. Which we wouldn't have to do if we actually invoked the DPA, like he said he would literally months ago.

It's cool, I know a democrat president wouldn't have done anything wrong, and everything would have gone off with precision, and transparency. The nation would have been shut down January 1.  (this last statement  encapsulates the day to day, CR, delusional mind set).

You're just putting words in my mouth at this point, and arguing against a straw man. The CR isn't posting shit like that, and if anyone is they're being mocked for doing so. Show your work, and show me specific and cited examples the same way I did for you.

Of course when you look at the cloak room thread , not one person was calling for a complete economic shutdown in January.  Not sure if anyone was calling for the same in February.  

• Like 1

I've got what's sure to be a very temperate topic for both CR and DT...the religious aspect (or lack thereof) of the political response to the Covid-19 pandemic.  

Surely that won't raise any tempers.

Cool, now lets talk about what they've done since the shutdown You're 100% onboard with how they've handled all that?

26 minutes ago, seven said:

Lol @ former cr shitposters like Onboard, brat, and euro bitching about the cr. Everyone sees right through you. (also isn't iceman the prolific cr troll known as slorch?)

LOL

Ahhhh seven, posting an actual sen-tense.  Still an ignorant sen-tence, but it's what you do.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 8:22 AM, Brian Fantana said:

Why is everyone such a fucking snowflake? I read the last 4 pages of that DT thread and can't see a single post that would send me crying to blacklab like it seems people did last night.

Toughen up and just make fun of the crackheads and kiddy diddlers like me and @Anastasis.

Talk to me when you get a cuntface like Upper Westside going back to neg rep every post I've made this year.  My activity page is completely filled again with nothing but neg reps from him and they go back to posts I made in February.  I've been put on probation for a week twice here and neither time was for doing anything near at the flaccid penis level he has been doing to me for the last three weeks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Talk to me when you get a cuntface like Upper Westside going back to neg rep every post I've made this year.  My activity page is completely filled again with nothing but neg reps from him and they go back to posts I made in February.  I've been put on probation for a week twice here and neither time was for doing anything near at the flaccid penis level he has been doing to me for the last three weeks.

You whine about neg rep almost as much as Slorch. 

20 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

spacer.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

You whine about neg rep almost as much as Slorch. 

Slorch doesn't.

It just gets returned, and the bitchasses who thought they were being cute start claiming I was crying about it...but nary a word.  till they bring it up first.

Doesn't matter, anyhoo, but you got your response...bitchass poster.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Slorch doesn't.

It just gets returned, and the bitchasses who thought they were being cute start claiming I was crying about it...but nary a word.  till they bring it up first.

Doesn't matter, anyhoo, but you got your response...bitchass poster.

I laughed.

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:11 PM, seven said:

Lol @ former cr shitposters like Onboard, brat, and euro bitching about the cr. Everyone sees right through you. (also isn't iceman the prolific cr troll known as slorch?)

LOL

Nobody really cares about what the cr shitposters like you are doing down there. Just it leaking like an anal fissure outside the cesspit.

Face it, you people are pariahs to the rest of Surly, just like I was when participating in the cf at TOS.

But whatever makes y’all feel better.... keep your whinefest going,

• Like 1