Eviction of Disabled Person During COVID- San Antonio

Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction here for a friend of mine. He seems pretty fucked, but just want to see if you guys know of any options for disable housing I can look into for him or if the COVID shelter order has any effect on his situation. 

TDLR:

Buddy moves in with friend during sudden breakup and pays rent for room w/o lease. Buddy then has multiple serious medical events that renders him fully disabled. In the time it takes to get on SS disability his finances are depleted and he is forced to stay even though the friend descends into severe meth addiction. Father of Meth head calls Buddy a couple days ago, says he is pissed about how the house is being cared for/sons obvious addiction and everyone there is squatting and has 30 days to leave. Buddy is on disability and does not have the finances to go get an apt without some sort of assistance. 

are their any options available to disabled people for housing he could inquire about? Could the COVID order give him some more time to save his disability checks to move? He is legally blind and does not have a car. He’s seriously looking at being homeless.

Full Backstory:

A buddy of mine had a breakup and had to move in with a friend for what was supposed to be a short time. The friend was a very talented drummer in a number of bands and they had a number of mutual friends. Drummer charged him $200/mo w/o a lease agreement of any kind. Things were fine until a couple of years ago my buddy had 2 severe strokes at 33. It was a hard time for him and he’s fortunate that besides a cane he is able to compensate for his brain injury and for the most part seems unaffected in casual contact. Drummer waved rent for 8 months and then I paid drummer for about a year until my friends SS Disability was approved. Since then he almost died and had to have serious stomach surgery because of his stroke meds. He still has at least a year of recovery to go according to his multiple Drs before he could start working part time.

well, in that time Drummer has descended in to severe meth addiction. Like crack-head level. When my buddy moved in he knew the guy casually did blow, but he was like ‘hey, he’s a drummer in a band.’ Evidently, Drummers coke dealer turned him into it and Buddy felt helpless to move out since he was basically living off charity until his SS was approved. He now gets $1100 a mo and has a mountain of medical bills so was planning to hopefully move out this summer. 

flash forward to a few days ago Buddy gets a call out of the blue from Drummers father who turns out to be the real owner of the home rather than drummer. He says that the yard is not taken care of and he want to do a renovation and perhaps sell the home. He has 30 days to get out. After talking to Father a little it turns out he suspects his son is in drug (big time ‘no shit’) but was unaware that Buddy was paying rent, was disabled and couldn’t do the yard work but didn’t care. He said he was squatting and would call the sheriffs dept to have everyone thrown out. Buddy does not have the finance to go get an apt in a couple weeks and has a lot of trouble with reading comprehension  and confusion when trying to read about disabled housing options. Additionally, he’s pretty stressed out because he’s looking at being homeless. I can keep his stuff for him but can’t give him a place to stay. 

Anybody have any idea how to deal with this? Any ideas would be very appreciated.

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

can't help except to say if he has to choose between paying for rent and medical bills, pay the rent everyday and all day sunday.  forget the medical bills.  or have him apply for financial assistance for the med bills.

He’s always payed rent, and when he couldn’t I did for him. Meth head has been lying to mommy and daddy. Either way, it seems daddy is taking out his issues with his son on everyone there

I don't believe the Sheriff will throw anyone out without an eviction judgment, i.e. a writ of possession.  Nor will the police.  Typically, they do not get involved in landlord-tenant disputes absent a judgment and writ directing them to do so.

As far as I know, the operation of all JP courts, the exclusive jurisdiction for eviction suits, are suspended pending further notice.  It's hard to tell what the deal is in Bexar County.

So I am thinking Buddy has a bit of breathing room.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't believe the Sheriff will throw anyone out without an eviction judgment, i.e. a writ of possession.  Nor will the police.  Typically, they do not get involved in landlord-tenant disputes absent a judgment and writ directing them to do so.

As far as I know, the operation of all JP courts, the exclusive jurisdiction for eviction suits, are suspended pending further notice.  It's hard to tell what the deal is in Bexar County.

So I am thinking Buddy has a bit of breathing room.

Do you think it would make any sense to call the sheriffs dept and see what they say?
My buddy wants to respect Meth Father and his property and just want to reach a place where they can talk reasonably.  It seems there’s a lot of hostility because Father only knows what meth son is telling him which is tiring out to be bullshit on epic levels.  

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction here for a friend of mine. He seems pretty fucked, but just want to see if you guys know of any options for disable housing I can look into for him or if the COVID shelter order has any effect on his situation. 

TDLR:

Buddy moves in with friend during sudden breakup and pays rent for room w/o lease. Buddy then has multiple serious medical events that renders him fully disabled. In the time it takes to get on SS disability his finances are depleted and he is forced to stay even though the friend descends into severe meth addiction. Father of Meth head calls Buddy a couple days ago, says he is pissed about how the house is being cared for/sons obvious addiction and everyone there is squatting and has 30 days to leave. Buddy is on disability and does not have the finances to go get an apt without some sort of assistance. 

are their any options available to disabled people for housing he could inquire about? Could the COVID order give him some more time to save his disability checks to move? He is legally blind and does not have a car. He’s seriously looking at being homeless.

Full Backstory:

A buddy of mine had a breakup and had to move in with a friend for what was supposed to be a short time. The friend was a very talented drummer in a number of bands and they had a number of mutual friends. Drummer charged him $200/mo w/o a lease agreement of any kind. Things were fine until a couple of years ago my buddy had 2 severe strokes at 33. It was a hard time for him and he’s fortunate that besides a cane he is able to compensate for his brain injury and for the most part seems unaffected in casual contact. Drummer waved rent for 8 months and then I paid drummer for about a year until my friends SS Disability was approved. Since then he almost died and had to have serious stomach surgery because of his stroke meds. He still has at least a year of recovery to go according to his multiple Drs before he could start working part time.

well, in that time Drummer has descended in to severe meth addiction. Like crack-head level. When my buddy moved in he knew the guy casually did blow, but he was like ‘hey, he’s a drummer in a band.’ Evidently, Drummers coke dealer turned him into it and Buddy felt helpless to move out since he was basically living off charity until his SS was approved. He now gets $1100 a mo and has a mountain of medical bills so was planning to hopefully move out this summer. 

flash forward to a few days ago Buddy gets a call out of the blue from Drummers father who turns out to be the real owner of the home rather than drummer. He says that the yard is not taken care of and he want to do a renovation and perhaps sell the home. He has 30 days to get out. After talking to Father a little it turns out he suspects his son is in drug (big time ‘no shit’) but was unaware that Buddy was paying rent, was disabled and couldn’t do the yard work but didn’t care. He said he was squatting and would call the sheriffs dept to have everyone thrown out. Buddy does not have the finance to go get an apt in a couple weeks and has a lot of trouble with reading comprehension  and confusion when trying to read about disabled housing options. Additionally, he’s pretty stressed out because he’s looking at being homeless. I can keep his stuff for him but can’t give him a place to stay. 

Anybody have any idea how to deal with this? Any ideas would be very appreciated.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/overview-landlord-tenant-laws-texas.html

Also:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/emergency-bans-on-evictions-and-other-tenant-protections-related-to-coronavirus.html

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Do you think it would make any sense to call the sheriffs dept and see what they say?
My buddy wants to respect Meth Father and his property and just want to reach a place where they can talk reasonably.  It seems there’s a lot of hostility because Father only knows what meth son is telling him which is tiring out to be bullshit on epic levels.  

Can't hurt.  AFAIK, they can't/won't take the word of father/landlord that he's a squatter or in breach of the lease.  Similar to how they don't get involved in property or child custody matters in the divorce/domestic context.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Wouldn't talking to sheriff get meth head drummer into legal trouble?  What happens to your buddy if drummer gets arrested?  Would it make it easier for your buddy to stay, more likely to get evicted, or have no impact?

Well, we thought it would be a big deal because he was a resident at the address. If that’s the case anything that happens to drummer could possibly go sideways onto Buddy.

Drummer is a known pot dealer to Leon Valley PD. In fact a mutual friend got a ticket by LVPD officer close to the house who told a younger officer with him that “he’s coming from the drug house. That house over there is a big time dealers house” 

Turns out before buddy moved in drummer got arrested at his home for Unpaid parking tickets and there was a huge mason jar of bud out. It’s a weird situation because there were absolutely no repercussions for drummer and then some of his weed contacts started to get busted. Leon Valley PD is shady as shit and we are thinking he may have been a CI until he moved into harder shit. 

either way parents are divorced, have a good relationship with each other and are nice, respectable people. The issue is dad lives 4hrs away and mom lives here and is a textbook mom who’s addict son treats her like shit so she is force to enable him to even stay in contact. She confided in Buddy that she worried about drummer because he’s lost weight and she feels it because of stress because his tenants “haven’t been paying rent” which is epic bullshit.  
In past 6 months Drummer has been fired from his job as a music instructor, bailed on his bands, told all of his friends to fuck off. He basically plays poke mon go all day. Basically he lives off the cash he can scam from his mom, selling small amount of meth to people he’s turned onto it and the rent from his tenants.

I’ve literally been trying to get this guy out of this house since last Christmas. 

Edited by Doc Reeves

When you call the Sherriff, you don't need to go into gory details, just say you have  friend with a disputed with his landlord but no eviction has been filed.  Will the Sheriff evict or remove someone just because the landlord says they're a squatter or trespassing?

• 2 weeks later...