COVID 19- International Realities and Speculations.

InkaUtexas

I'm putting this here because it's as much Covid related as oil. Please take no offense.

Collapsing oil prices are costing some OPEC members not only lost revenue when they most need it to tackle the coronavirus crisis, but also market share they may never recoup.
OPEC producers such as Nigeria, Angola, Algeria and Venezuela cannot compete with the lower costs of erstwhile allies Saudi Arabia and Russia, who are flooding the market.

Things not going well for developing nations who sell a lotta oil. Can't be good for their stability.

And how is Venezuela still a country? They've been crashing for what seems like a decade. Tough people, those Venezuelans.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/oil-crash-compounds-coronavirus-hit-142024960.html

Apparently, China has not learned its lesson. Wet markets are reopening. We need to ramp up manufacturing and production till we don't need anything from them anymore. That would take years probably. They need to be given the North Korea treatment, isolate, and embargo. We can't be losing thousands of lives and shutting down the economy every year or two.

https://www.newsweek.com/what-wet-market-amid-pandemic-crackdown-called-selling-live-animals-china-1495278

CHIEF

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Apparently, China has not learned its lesson. Wet markets are reopening. We need to ramp up manufacturing and production till we don't need anything from them anymore. That would take years probably. They need to be given the North Korea treatment, isolate, and embargo. We can't be losing thousands of lives and shutting down the economy every year or two.

https://www.newsweek.com/what-wet-market-amid-pandemic-crackdown-called-selling-live-animals-china-1495278

CHIEF

If wet markets re-open, we should wage war on them, multi-laterally. Jews China and their disgusting wet markets did this and they keep doing this crap. It would be one thing if their disgusting cultural practices were confined to themselves, but we have to pay for their barbarianism. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

If wet markets re-open, we should wage war on them, multi-laterally. Jews China and their disgusting wet markets did this and they keep doing this crap. It would be one thing if their disgusting cultural practices were confined to themselves, but we have to pay for their barbarianism. 

Shut them down, or we expel every Chinese National from every College and University, Tech firm,  and allow no flights to and from China. We only accept Chinese products we can not manufacture at this time, until we can, and then we don't accept those items anymore. We need to go full Monroe Doctrine on their asses.

CHIEF 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

F China and the horse they rode in on.  Their blatant misrepresentation of the impact of this mess had a direct and irrevocable impact on the rest of the world.  They willfully misled and obfuscated and continue to do so.  

And the WHO.  Fuck them too....We have seen the video of the WHO director general refusing to even acknowledge Taiwan. We have seen WHO leadership repeatedly praise China and be a mouth piece for Chinese propaganda. Specifically the early parroting of the position that the virus could not spread human to human. They waited until March 11 to declare a global pandemic, despite many other countries pushing them to do so earlier, except for China.

At this point, the WHO has essentially misled the world to push Chinese propaganda and it cost trillions of dollars in economic damage and tens of thousands of lost lives. They continue to offer praise of China's handling of every facet of the outbreak, including its transparency. It is so laughably bias at this point. China is using this respected independent view point to crank up its propaganda machine and print books in multiple languages detailing how the heroic authoritarian regime flawlessly handled this outbreak. It is seen as a last ditch effort to mislead and shuck responsibility from the international reckoning that the rest of the world wants.

• Like 4

Was chatting with friends in Spain, Greece, Italy, etc.  Apparently you need to declare your reason for being outside of the house before leaving.  Electronically or with a permission slip.  Cops do frequent random stops to ensure motorists have a purpose on the road.  etc.

Still seems very unreal to me - we have none of that here

19 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Well, we do have more Subway franchises than anywhere else.  

20 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Motherfucking this. The death and destruction the assholes in mainland China have inflicted deserves massive retaliation and a demand for reparations. Our own Chinese-Americans do not deserve people's scorn but the assholes in China do. More evidence that wet markets are reopening.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Motherfucking this. The death and destruction the assholes in mainland China have inflicted deserves massive retaliation and a demand for reparations. Our own Chinese-Americans do not deserve people's scorn but the assholes in China do. More evidence that wet markets are reopening.

This is infuriating. 

• Like 1

Was chatting with friends in Spain, Greece, Italy, etc.  Apparently you need to declare your reason for being outside of the house before leaving.  Electronically or with a permission slip.  Cops do frequent random stops to ensure motorists have a purpose on the road.  etc.

Still seems very unreal to me - we have none of that here
France as well. Insane.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I imagine this will go thru Mexico City like a buzz saw. It’s exactly like nyc except much more populous, way higher up, and I’m guessing worse health care. 

Yep.  The great AMLO is going to hated by the same people who voted him to power last year.  Oh and the Cartels will chomping at the bit to take advantage of the chaos. 

13 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Screw China.   They need to be treated like a third world nation like they were before we started showing them with favorable trade deals to build their economy by producing cheap shit for Wal Mart and others. .  If they want to be part of the club of developed nations, act like one for crying out loud. 

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder about all the big South American cities too, when this shows up down there in force. I know nothing about places like rio, brasilia, Buenos Aires, Caracas, bogota, la Paz, Santiago, Lima, and the like, and how they can handle it medically. 

The differences between these cities are immense. Caracas, probably none. Buenos Aires and Santiago much better. Bogota as well. But there is not going to be a lot of equipment and the good stuff will be in the wealthier private hospitals. I think what we are seeing in Ecuador is about par for the course for most locations. 

But like a good friend in Kenya told me yesterday. People just die and no one really wonders or asks why. He dead Jim. 

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I imagine this will go thru Mexico City like a buzz saw. It’s exactly like nyc except much more populous, way higher up, and I’m guessing worse health care. 

The U.S. is panicking with over 160,000 ventilators.  Mexico has a whopping 4000.  

Brazil playing the Nah, did not happen game. 

“That row of graves was meant to last three months, but it only lasted one,” one worker said, pointing at a section covered in freshly topped soil.

Five grave diggers told Reuters that the number of burials has swelled with the ranks of those who died before getting the results for coronavirus tests. Those cases are not immediately counted in Brazil’s official statistics, which on Thursday rose to almost 300 dead and 7,910 confirmed cases, by far the most in Latin America.

“The numbers in the newspapers are very wrong,” said one grave digger. “The real number is twice as high, maybe triple.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil-cemetery-idUSKBN21K3J3?taid=5e868d0753c773000108da50&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

I work in Juvenile Probation, one of the detention officers tested positive at Gardner Betts. Shit could get interesting for the youths there. We’ve released the low risk people already, we got the real pieces of shit here now. If it spreads, not sure what recourse they will have. Luckily I’m on the office side, but everything is compromised now. 

Edited by hundredTT

I wrote an op-ed that did not get published back in 2015 that predicted world peak GDP would occur between 2020 and 2030. I was wrong as it was Q4 2019. My prediction was based on the high income and upper middle income countries including China being past their all-time peak 15-64 year old demographics. Since that age group has most workers and spenders I concluded that peak spending would occur soon after, especially once China passed it peak population in the mid-2020s. I did not know then that China has been falsifying their population figures too and are already past peak. I had also predicted world peak oil demand would occur about the same time, which it has.

The worldwide recession starting in Q1  2020 that will extend for a long time meaning that Q4 2019 was the world peak GDP. So much wealth and so many jobs are being destroyed that spending and consequently manufacturing will never recover. The deaths that occur due to the Wuhan virus and the starvation that is coming in poorer countries will only accelerate the overall decline in spending.

The 2nd great depression that we have entered will change people's spending habits in ways that will last for decades the way the first one did. This will slow spending through world peak population which was likely to occur in the 2040s by my estimates, even before the virus.  People will chose to have fewer children now during the depression further reducing the fertility rates. 

Economically speaking it is impossible to grow ourselves out of debt as the debt per person will continue to increase in most countries. That can only end badly.