Tiger King

Kyle

On 3/28/2020 at 7:58 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Finished the last episode this morning. Holy shit, what a ride. I think the only sane person in the series was the chick who had her arm eaten by a tiger at Joe's zoo. They could definitely spin off multiple shows from this. The director spent 5 years on this, right? How much footage does he still have?

Gotta imagine that Carole Baskins is both loving all the extra attention/web hits she's getting from this. And also afraid that some Don't F**ck With Cats-type internet sleuths start digging into her husband's death. That guy (Don) seems like quite the character. Multi-millionaire with (maybe) a HS education? His writing & spelling on the restraining order form he filled out was horrific. Married at 17. Sure seemed like he made his money in some shady shit. And I don't think his ex-wife or daughters gave a shit about him. They're just pissed Carole got the lion's share of the money.

Jeff Lawrence is probably the biggest POS in the whole series and that's saying something.

The guy that did the Wondery podcast, Robert Moor, was on Pardon My Take and he addressed how Don, and now Carol amassed their fortune. Apparently, dude was basically a slumlord. He, now Carol, own a shit load of low rent housing. 

16 minutes ago, lateshow said:

The guy that did the Wondery podcast, Robert Moor, was on Pardon My Take and he addressed how Don, and now Carol amassed their fortune. Apparently, dude was basically a slumlord. He, now Carol, own a shit load of low rent housing. 

Makes total sense. I'm surprised Carole wanted to do the show - some podcaster is going to do a big deep dive into her first husband's death. She seems like such a phony you know what - she basically wants to pass legislation so only she can own big cats. They said at the beginning, the big cat people are back-stabbers and want to collect the most cats. She is on her high horse about others while doing the same exact thing. I think that is why everyone hates her.

• Like 1

According to this CNN story, Carole was pitched by the producers/directors that the documentary was going to be a big cat version of Blackfish, the excellent film that exposed the horrific conditions for orcas at Seaworld.

The documentary was 5 years in the making. That's a long time to be filming & chasing down different story angles. Of course there's a ton of crazy shit going on in TK. If the producers wanted to make a REAL expose of tiger breeding in the US it would have been an entirely different story. Hell, Netflix was barely producing original content when they began filming this (and it began when the director was researching the venomous reptile trade in Florida).

I can see why they took their time & decided to make this an entertainment series more than a documentary series. There's just too much cray cray going on here not to make it a surreal trip vs. a hard news look at the dark side of breeding exotic cats for fun & profit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Makes total sense. I'm surprised Carole wanted to do the show - some podcaster is going to do a big deep dive into her first husband's death. She seems like such a phony you know what - she basically wants to pass legislation so only she can own big cats. They said at the beginning, the big cat people are back-stabbers and want to collect the most cats. She is on her high horse about others while doing the same exact thing. I think that is why everyone hates her.

And it begins...

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/have-a-tip-the-hillsborough-sheriff-wants-to-know-what-happened-to-former-husband-of-big-cat-rescues-ceo

• Like 1

The missus and I finished this last night. What a goddamn trip!

After graduating from Clemson, my wife moved to Clearwater Beach to live and work with her college boyfriend. So when Big Cat Rescue popped up and was located in "Tampa" I asked her if she'd ever heard of it. She hadn't it. Not five minutes later, she shot up and said, "Fuck, I've been there!" She said she and some of their friends did one of the "night" visits one year. She didn't remember seeing Carol, though.

59 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The missus and I finished this last night. What a goddamn trip!

After graduating from Clemson, my wife moved to Clearwater Beach to live and work with her college boyfriend. So when Big Cat Rescue popped up and was located in "Tampa" I asked her if she'd ever heard of it. She hadn't it. Not five minutes later, she shot up and said, "Fuck, I've been there!" She said she and some of their friends did one of the "night" visits one year. She didn't remember seeing Carol, though.

Night is when Carol murders husbands.

• Like 1

I'm pretty blown away with how cheap a baby tiger is.  Dogs from a decent breeder could easily run you more than a baby tiger.

Yea but a bag of Purina costs a whole bunch less than pounds of meat those beasts eat daily. (Not including Carols feed your hubby to the Tigers night.)

53 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Same here.  A high quality hunting dog can cost more than a tiger cub.  

Yeah, but you can feed just about any dog to a tiger cub, but try feeding a tiger cub to a dog, and it’s like the damn dog knows it’s a tiger or something and starts whining and curling up in the corner.   Wait, what was the question.  

Carol Baskins reminds me of my most hated manager of all time. I had a manager in college who was the spitting image of Carol. Looked just like her, long strawberry blond hair, hippy attitude with the same constant giddy speak with oddly timed laughter, and an outward appearance that hid just how awful a person she was. Everyone would always say how wonderful she was because she was very adept at keeping up her outward appearance and playing people that she was a saint. Did the same passive aggressive talk that Carol does with her husband, only with her employees. She was also a crazy cat lady. Quitting that job was one of the happiest moments of my life at the time. 

Edited by mdmost

10 hours ago, mdmost said:

Carol Baskins reminds me of my most hated manager of all time. I had a manager in college who was the spitting image of Carol. Looked just like her, long strawberry blond hair, hippy attitude with the same constant giddy speak with oddly timed laughter, and an outward appearance that hid just how awful a person she was. Everyone would always say how wonderful she was because she was very adept at keeping up her outward appearance and playing people that she was a saint. Did the same passive aggressive talk that Carol does with her husband, only with her employees. She was also a crazy cat lady. Quitting that job was one of the happiest moments of my life at the time. 

She reminds me of this lady named Hillary. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, but you can feed just about any dog to a tiger cub, but try feeding a tiger cub to a dog, and it’s like the damn dog knows it’s a tiger or something and starts whining and curling up in the corner.   Wait, what was the question.  

Psshh. Everyone knows you euthanize them far before they get too expensive to care for. Just ask Doc Antle....

22 hours ago, Kyle said:

she has said it was pitched as a big cat version of blackfish

which is interesting because if that is the case why did she talk so much about her ex husband, etc?

• Like 1

i wish they'd spent time addressing joe's accusations that jeff told him to give the $3,000 out of the thanksgiving dinner proceeds.  i mean they had cameras rolling, seems like it'd be pretty easy to prove.  also wish they'd flesh out jeff lowe's background and activities.  

22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Is the consensus that Travis accidentally shot himself in a stupid accident or did he just grow weary of the circus and decide it was time to get off the crazy, Joe Exotic merry-go-round permanently?

In one of the articles - either the Texas Monthly or the other one linked in this thread at NY Mag - they said he was proving something he read on the internet about a Ruger not firing if the clip wasn't in...

I don't think anything I have read or seen has hinted at it being a suicide instead of an accident fwiw

1 minute ago, NoName said:

In one of the articles - either the Texas Monthly or the other one linked in this thread at NY Mag - they said he was proving something he read on the internet about a Ruger not firing if the clip wasn't in...

I don't think anything I have read or seen has hinted at it being a suicide instead of an accident fwiw

Thanks -- I did catch the campaign manager saying something about Travis talking about a Ruger not firing without a clip being in

Just finished. I went into the whole thing expecting it to be mindless entertainment I could laugh at, but overall it was just sad. And skeevy. Saff is the only one who seemed to have his shit together. I can laugh at idiots being crazy and doing dumb stuff but the fact that they were likely abusing those animals on top of everything else is just awful. I hope Jeff and James get their time in court too. 

• Like 1

[CSB Alert] In undergrad, I did a foreign term throughout Central and South America. We started in Costa Rica, and for some strange reason, the combination of a completely different diet (rice and beans with chicken for nearly every meal) and that my body was sweating so much more than it was accustomed to, plus the fact that I am kind of neurotic about preferring "home field" when I take a dump, I didn't poop for the first two weeks of the trip. Just didn't have to - no discomfort, no belly distention, nothing. But just as I was starting to wonder whether I should seek medical attention (not logistically simple...) I finally got the call while visiting Bagaces, Costa Rica. 

Our group of ~75 students and professors were camping in our tents inside the local bullring that night, and I took two weeks worth of dump at the "bathroom" there. The entire structure was a two story wooden set of bleachers, and the "bathroom" was basically just a wooden outhouse about 20' above the ground. 

So I have no idea how large my turd was, but it almost certainly would have clogged the wimpy LatAm plumbing had it occurred anywhere indoors. 

But the location where I took what was undoubtedly the largest dump of my life was briefly featured in Tiger King. 

[/CSB] 

20200330_003119.jpg

20200330_003047.jpg

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

[CSB Alert] In undergrad, I did a foreign term throughout Central and South America. We started in Costa Rica, and for some strange reason, the combination of a completely different diet (rice and beans with chicken for nearly every meal) and that my body was sweating so much more than it was accustomed to, plus the fact that I am kind of neurotic about preferring "home field" when I take a dump, I didn't poop for the first two weeks of the trip. Just didn't have to - no discomfort, no belly distention, nothing. But just as I was starting to wonder whether I should seek medical attention (not logistically simple...) I finally got the call while visiting Bagaces, Costa Rica. 

Our group of ~75 students and professors were camping in our tents inside the local bullring that night, and I took two weeks worth of dump at the "bathroom" there. The entire structure was a two story wooden set of bleachers, and the "bathroom" was basically just a wooden outhouse about 20' above the ground. 

So I have no idea how large my turd was, but it almost certainly would have clogged the wimpy LatAm plumbing had it occurred anywhere indoors. 

But the location where I took what was undoubtedly the largest dump of my life was briefly featured in Tiger King. 

[/CSB] 

20200330_003119.jpg

20200330_003047.jpg

If you filled that, Netflix needs to make a documentary. 

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

[/CSB] 

20200330_003119.jpg

20200330_003047.jpg

giphy.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 2