Your top 10 albums, no order

Goredho

Facebook chain letter shit sucks, but this one is actually kind of interesting:

"Day X.  I've been nominated by YYY
 to name the top ten albums that influenced my taste in music. 10 titles for 10 consecutive days. No explanation, no reviews, only the cover. Each day I'll invite someone to join me to do the same. Today I nominate ZZZ."

So let's see if anyone wants to play a modified version here.  List the 10 albums (plus artist) that have influenced your musical tastes (listening, playing or songwriting depending on your musical depth) in no particular order.  Mine:

1. Band of Gypsies - Hendrix
2. The Wall - Pink Floyd
3. Abraxas - Santana
4. IV - Led Zeppelin
5. Moving Pictures - Rush
6. At Fillmore East - Allman Brothers 
7. Escape - Journey
8. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy
9. 40 Oz to Freedom - Sublime
10. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 3

The ONLY way I could pick 10, is to think of what CD's I have in my truck more than 75% of the time.

1. Jellyfish - Spilt Milk

2. Rush - Signals

3. Black Crowes - Southern Music and Harmony Companion

4. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

5. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

6. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

7. Queen - The Game

8. Pearl Jam - Vs.

9. Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

10.  Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites

Edited by Rip76
Only one "t" in graffiti
  • Like 4

I don’t play much (need to pickup the guitar again), and things are fluid, but my top ten is probably something like this:

1. Texas Flood - SRV

2. Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin

3. Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

4. London Calling - The Clash

5. Blue Train - John Coltrane

6. In Step - SRV

7. Doolittle - Pixies

8. Meddle - Pink Floyd

9. Midnight Blue - Kenny Burrell

10. Time Out - Brubeck

I was tempted to put Band Of Gypsys too because that one slams and goes hard. Peak Hendrix for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I was tempted to put Band Of Gypsys too because that one slams and goes hard. Peak Hendrix for me.

Yeah, that was the album that I listened to that made me go on a two year "I want to play like Hendrix" kick.  Which of course I failed miserably at.

Roughly in chronological order of my "discovery".  These are the bands (and albums) that I listened to more than almost any other.  Might not make my list of 10 Desert Island Discs (although some would), but if we're talking about what shaped my musical tastes, I pretty much have to go with those albums that dominated my listening from early teens through my 30's.

KISS Alive II
Rush 2112
Boston Boston
Heart Little Queen
The Police Zenyatta Mondatta
Prince 1999
The Replacements Tim
Matthew Sweet Girlfriend
Lyle Lovett & His Large Band
Nirvana Nevermind
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Roughly in chronological order of my "discovery".  These are the bands (and albums) that I listened to more than almost any other.  Might not make my list of 10 Desert Island Discs (although some would), but if we're talking about what shaped my musical tastes, I pretty much have to go with those albums that dominated my listening from early teens through my 30's.

KISS Alive II
Rush 2112
Boston Boston
Heart Little Queen
Prince 1999
The Replacements Tim
Matthew Sweet Girlfriend
Nirvana Nevermind

That's a fucking solid list.

So about that Santana Abraxas album.  I found it in my brother's record collection after he went to college.  I must have been 12 or 13 at the time and was titillated as hell by the cover:

6778818803_d3e04a796f_b.jpg

That was way better fap material than National Geographic.  So I wound up listening to the album and have been listening to it ever since.

Edited by Goredho

40 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Dirt- Alice in Chains

Appetite for Destruction- Guns n Roses

Back in Black- AC/DC

Powerage- AC/DC

Superunknown- Soundgarden

Siamese Dream- Smashing Pumpkins

Paranoid- Black Sabbath

Electric- The Cult

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Ride the Lighting- Metallica    

Like the cut of your jib. Would include Core from STP:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Dirt- Alice in Chains

Appetite for Destruction- Guns n Roses

Back in Black- AC/DC

Powerage- AC/DC

Superunknown- Soundgarden

Siamese Dream- Smashing Pumpkins

Paranoid- Black Sabbath

Electric- The Cult

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Ride the Lighting- Metallica    

That’s a solid playlist out of just these albums.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

KISS Alive II
Rush 2112
Boston Boston
Heart Little Queen
Prince 1999
The Replacements Tim
Matthew Sweet Girlfriend
Nirvana Nevermind

I was going to add Zenyatta Modatta, damnit.

My personal favorites because they all bring back so many memories from my youth

Little Feat Waiting for Columbus

Talking heads Stop Making Sense

Grateful Dead Reckoning

REM  Reckoning

Echo and The Bunnymen Ocean rain

Bob Dylan any of about 3 or 4 from the 60's

Stones Now

Elvis Costello This years Model or Armed Forces

Pink Floyd the wall

The Doors Morrison Hotel

• Like 2

Terribly hasty list, and I need more Santana in my life

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

The Beatles - The Beatles (The White Album)

Led Zeppelin - II

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

The Harder They Come Soundtrack Deluxe Edition

The Old 97's - Too Far To Care

Weezer - Weezer (The Blue Album)

Rage Against The Machine - RATM

Neil Young - Harvest

The Velvet Underground - Loaded (fully loaded edition)

• Like 3

Who-Quandrophenia

Floyd-Dark Side

Hendrix-Are You Experienced

Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti

AC/DC-Highway to Hell

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

Prince-Dirty Mind

Fleetwood Mac-Rumors

Tom Petty-Damn the Torpedos

Def Leppard-High n Dry

Man this was hard.  too really do it right I'd have to have a 70's top 10, 80's top 10, and 90's top 10

• Like 5

Yellow brick road 

The white album

ELP -Welcome back my friends

Allman Bro -Fillmore

Electric Lady land

Joe Cocker - Mad dogs and Englishman 

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

Return to forever - Romantic Warrior

Wet Willie - Left coast live

Muddy Waters - Anthology 

Van Morrison - Into the Mystic

I apparently enjoy a lot of love recordings.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Who-Quandrophenia

Floyd-Dark Side

Hendrix-Are You Experienced

Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti

AC/DC-Highway to Hell

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

Prince-Dirty Mind

Fleetwood Mac-Rumors

Tom Petty-Damn the Torpedos

Def Leppard-High n Dry

Man this was hard.  too really do it right I'd have to have a 70's top 10, 80's top 10, and 90's top 10

thinking again. I really should have Exile on Main St. instead of High N Dry.  but damn I love high n dry cranked in the car. I guess its my guilty pleasure on the list.

KISS - Alive

Ramones - Leave Home

T Rex - The Slider

Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

The Clash - eponymous

AC/DC - Powerage

Replacements - Let it Be

X - Los Angeles

The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & the Lash

Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours

Way, way too narrow a field, though. 25 might work. I'm already looking over my list, wondering where the hell is Tom Waits/Nick Cave/Linda Ronstadt/Laura Nyro/way too many to fucking list. 

Edited by Topper13
Roth era Van fucking Halen. Make it 50.
  • Like 1

Grew up in the 80s so my formative five were probably:

Springsteen, Born to Run

Van Halen I

Duran Duran, Rio

Springsteen, Born in the USA

U2, Joshua Tree

Then I zoned out of music for like a decade, and was reborn with my internet-era five:

Postal Service

Death Cab for Cutie, Transatlanticism

Arcade Fire, Funeral

The Eminem Show

The National, Trouble Will Find Me (I was a bit late on them)

• Like 1

Back in Black- AC*DC

Appetite For Destruction- G&R

1984- Van Halen

Heartbeat City- The Cars

Brothers in Arms- Dire Straits

Moving Pictures- Rush

Violator- Depeche Mode

Kick- INXS

Empire- Queensryche

And Justice For All- Metallica

• Like 1

I'm not reading anyone's lists (before posting), and going off the top of my head with little aforethought.  No band gets two entries.

Drive-By Truckers "Decoration Day"

Rolling Stones "Exile on Main Street"

The Replacements "Let it Be"

Turnpike Troubadours "A Long Ways From Your Heart"

James McMurtry "Just Us Kids"

Neil Young "Zuma"

Pearl Jam "Vitalogy"

Willie Nelson "Phases & Stages"

Black Crowes "Southern Harmony & Musical Companion"

Counting Crows "August & Everything After"

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Rip76 said:

The ONLY way I could pick 10, is to think of what CD's I have in my truck more than 75% of the time.

1. Jellyfish - Spilt Milk

2. Rush - Signals

3. Black Crowes - Southern Music and Harmony Companion

4. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

5. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

6. Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

7. Queen - The Game

8. Pearl Jam - Vs.

9. Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

10.  Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites

I went with August & Everything After, but Recovering the Satellites is criminally underrated.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Goredho said:

2. The Wall - Pink Floyd
3. Abraxas - Santana
4. IV - Led Zeppelin
5. Moving Pictures - Rush
7. Escape - Journey
8. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy
9. 40 Oz to Freedom - Sublime
10. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

As I look back at my list I notice these 4 were all before my time and I might not have discovered them or they might not have played as big a role in my tastes if he had not left the LPs behind when he went to college (he’s 14 years older). 

3. Abraxas - Santana

4. IV - Led Zeppelin

9 hours ago, Topper13 said:

KISS - Alive

Ramones - Leave Home

T Rex - The Slider

Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

The Clash - eponymous

AC/DC - Powerage

Replacements - Let it Be

X - Los Angeles

The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & the Lash

Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours

Way, way too narrow a field, though. 25 might work. I'm already looking over my list, wondering where the hell is Tom Waits/Nick Cave/Linda Ronstadt/Laura Nyro/way too many to fucking list. 

This.  I looked at it as a desert island list so it had to have a high relisten quotient to be a top 10.  but yeah my list doesn't have White Album, Cream, Journey, Boston, The Cars, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Van Halen, NWA, Beastie Boys, RUSH, Bad Company, Willie, JJW, Sugar, etc. some of my favorite bands of all time. I trended to late 60's and 70's for some reason.

I can't believe I didn't include Van Halen's debut.  This is an amazingly difficult exercise.

Here's an album I haven't seen anyone list, and which could probably the subject of another thread, but check out Lynyrd Skynyrd's debut, which includes this quartet of insanely great songs:

Tuesday's Gone

Gimme Three Steps

Simple Man

Free Bird

I bet I listened to that album 3 times a week for years.

• Like 6

they used to call this a "desert island" list, i.e., you were gonna be stranded and could only pick X number of records to have with you.

Two from the Black Crowes, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion and Amorica. Those are still the two records, more than anything else, that made me want to pick up a guitar and learn to create music.

Two from SRV, Texas Flood and In Step. I love all his records, but those are the two that really best show what a gifted natural musician he was, and how good he could be when he focused and applied himself. 

I didn't get into Zeppelin until well after they were defunct, so my exposure to them was through the boxed set(s)-- is it cheating to pick one of the boxed set discs? Because I'll take the third disc from the first boxed set if not-- Kashmir, Dancing Days, When The Levee Breaks, Achilles Last Stand, Ten Years Gone. Awesome.

Alice In Chains, Dirt.

Cracker, Kerosene Hat.

The Damnations (TX), Half Mad Moon.

Brother Cane, Seeds and Wishpool.

I might as well stop, I'm only at ten and I probably have another fifty records I wouldn't want to live without. I haven't even thought about hip hop yet. 

• Like 2

Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Florence + the Machine - Lungs
Murder City Devils - In Name and Blood
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Bob Mould - Black Sheets of Rain
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Honey's Dead
Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Edited by CooterBrown

24 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

they used to call this a "desert island" list, i.e., you were gonna be stranded and could only pick X number of records to have with you.

Two from the Black Crowes, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion and Amorica.

the Amorica album cover would also be useful on a deserted island

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Florence + the Machine - Lungs
Murder City Devils - In Name and Blood
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Bob Mould - Black Sheets of Rain
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Honey's Dead
Oasis - Definitely Maybe

You just made me want to hurt myself today.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Two from the Black Crowes, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion and Amorica. Those are still the two records, more than anything else, that made me want to pick up a guitar and learn to create music.

Two from SRV, Texas Flood and In Step. I love all his records, but those are the two that really best show what a gifted natural musician he was, and how good he could be when he focused and applied himself. 

I didn't get into Zeppelin until well after they were defunct, so my exposure to them was through the boxed set(s)-- is it cheating to pick one of the boxed set discs? Because I'll take the third disc from the first boxed set if not-- Kashmir, Dancing Days, When The Levee Breaks, Achilles Last Stand, Ten Years Gone. Awesome.

Alice In Chains, Dirt.

Cracker, Kerosene Hat.

The Damnations (TX), Half Mad Moon.

Brother Cane, Seeds and Wishpool.

I might as well stop, I'm only at ten and I probably have another fifty records I wouldn't want to live without. I haven't even thought about hip hop yet. 

Not to derail this, but I'm going to completely fucking derail this:

If you had to take one band's entire discography to the desert island, who you going with?

I'd probably take the Stones.  They cover almost every genre of music I enjoy, and do it all insanely well.  Plus, the volume of great songs is just incredible.  Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and The Black Crowes would be in the conversation, but the Stones get the nod.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you had to take one band's entire discography to the desert island, who you going with?

I'd probably take the Stones.  They cover almost every genre of music I enjoy, and do it all insanely well.  Plus, the volume of great songs is just incredible.  Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and The Black Crowes would be in the conversation, but the Stones get the nod.

that's a pretty good exercise too

I'd go with the Crowes, since that's my all time favorite band and they made my two favorite records of all time. But, also in their favor, I think they have basically no "weak" records thanks to their uneven career trajectory; they broke up before they churned out anything truly regrettable. When Lions is your worst album, that's pretty good. I like that record. 

If you take the Stones discography, you have to take the pre Glimmer twins stuff and then the silly Sweet Little Neocon era stuff. Which, maybe you like that, maybe you don't. I wouldn't. Same with the Beatles, if you take their discography you have to take all their boy-band era stuff, which, no thanks. 

Zeppelin's catalog is great, although In Through The Out Door would end up washing away at high tide the first chance I got. 

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that's a pretty good exercise too

I'd go with the Crowes, since that's my all time favorite band and they made my two favorite records of all time. But, also in their favor, I think they have basically no "weak" records thanks to their uneven career trajectory; they broke up before they churned out anything truly regrettable. When Lions is your worst album, that's pretty good. I like that record. 

If you take the Stones discography, you have to take the pre Glimmer twins stuff and then the silly Sweet Little Neocon era stuff. Which, maybe you like that, maybe you don't. I wouldn't. Same with the Beatles, if you take their discography you have to take all their boy-band era stuff, which, no thanks. 

Zeppelin's catalog is great, although In Through The Out Door would end up washing away at high tide the first chance I got. 

Yeah, you get stuck with the shit in the Stones discography, but you can just ignore that.  I agree that the Crowes never made a truly bad album and legitimately like about half of Lions.

The Stones have a little more diversity (although the Crowes are strong on that - which is why I put them in the conversation) and that's the ultimate kicker for me.  It's the combo of a shit ton of good songs, across a wide range of sounds - specifically the ones that I like.  The Beatles just aren't in my wheelhouse as much.  Take AC/DC for example - they have a mountain of incredible rock songs.  You can argue that for just straight-ahead rock and roll, no one ever did it better.  But that's literally all they did.  The Stones cut some of the best country songs of all time.  They are excellent blues musicians.  They can do full throttle rifftastic hard rock.  I even generally like their boy-band pop stuff better than the Beatles version of it.

In my hypothetical, you're the DJ.  You can pick from this specific pile what you're listening to.  I can leave Dirty Work in the box.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, you get stuck with the shit in the Stones discography, but you can just ignore that.  I agree that the Crowes never made a truly bad album and legitimately like about half of Lions.

The Stones have a little more diversity (although the Crowes are strong on that - which is why I put them in the conversation) and that's the ultimate kicker for me.  It's the combo of a shit ton of good songs, across a wide range of sounds - specifically the ones that I like.  The Beatles just aren't in my wheelhouse as much.  Take AC/DC for example - they have a mountain of incredible rock songs.  You can argue that for just straight-ahead rock and roll, no one ever did it better.  But that's literally all they did.  The Stones cut some of the best country songs of all time.  They are excellent blues musicians.  They can do full throttle rifftastic hard rock.  I even generally like their boy-band pop stuff better than the Beatles version of it.

In my hypothetical, you're the DJ.  You can pick from this specific pile what you're listening to.  I can leave Dirty Work in the box.

great points, and I didn't mean anyone else should seriously entertain a comparison between the Stones and Crowes. I know it's a varsity/JV comparison to most people

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Grateful Dead including their live albums like Europe 72 and Without a Net. 

• Like 3

1. Beatles - Abbey Road

2. Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

3. Led Zeppelin - I

4. SRV - Couldn't Stand the Weather

5. Pixies - Doolittle

6. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

7. Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto 

8.  Willie Nelson - Willie & Family Live

9. Howling Wolf - Moanin at Midnight/ Howlin' Wolf (I bought it as a 2 albums on 1CD, so I'm counting it as one, 'cause it's real to me dammit).

10.  Los Lobos - Just another Band from East L.A.

Tough call here.  I would be hard pressed to pick 10 albums per decade of my life.

• Like 2