College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Dan Wolken at USA Today has been sending up flares about this for the last week or so, saying that while no one is in panic mode, they are absolutely starting to prepare for the possibility of a reduced or canceled season. Wolken wants more coaches to get on camera and tell fans, "If you want a 2020 football season, you need to stay home for a few weeks right now." I agree, though it didn't seem to work in Louisiana.

The vibe I've gotten from most sports is there is not much appetite for playing in empty stadiums just for TV. If it's safe enough to play the games, they will let the fans in. Probably lots of hand-wash stations.

It all depends on the famous "curve". If it's still high or in rollercoaster mode this summer, schools won't even open for class and the FB season will be impossible. We'll probably be able to make decent guesses in about a month. (A safe early guess is Notre Dame-Navy won't be playing in Dublin in week zero.)

College football teams are the very definition of "a lot of people in tight spaces, sharing facilities, and flying across the nation". If we're still in the throes of this pandemic (or a resurgent aftershock - likely to occur when we lift the "stay at home" stuff), then even practicing is a bad idea. Asking these athletes to participate in a season when they haven't been near each other for at least a month is doing them and the game a huge disservice - and risking serious injuries.

I'm really hoping we're in the clear by July. That's optimistic, but not fanciful.

18 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Dan Wolken at USA Today has been sending up flares about this for the last week or so, saying that while no one is in panic mode, they are absolutely starting to prepare for the possibility of a reduced or canceled season. Wolken wants more coaches to get on camera and tell fans, "If you want a 2020 football season, you need to stay home for a few weeks right now." I agree, though it didn't seem to work in Louisiana.

The vibe I've gotten from most sports is there is not much appetite for playing in empty stadiums just for TV. If it's safe enough to play the games, they will let the fans in. Probably lots of hand-wash stations.

It all depends on the famous "curve". If it's still high or in rollercoaster mode this summer, schools won't even open for class and the FB season will be impossible. We'll probably be able to make decent guesses in about a month. (A safe early guess is Notre Dame-Navy won't be playing in Dublin in week zero.)

Yup - this is an encouraging note, though:

35 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I guess I just cant see them letting stadiums fill with people unless there is a vaccine (doubtful) or a very effective treatment (possible) 

• Like 1

I've wondered this myself lately. Pretty much given up any hope of our Little League having a 2020 season and I think HS and CFB and NFL are next on the chopping block. I hope I'm wrong. 

That said, I think this illness is going to be with us for a long time, perhaps forever, and society is just going to eventually have to accept it and adapt.

It might not be in 2020 but at some point there will be enough immune individuals that it's going to be like Chicken Pox used to be before there was a vaccine. Easier on the kids than the adults and something that everyone has to go through as part of growing up with occasional flareups in different places like locker rooms and colleges. 

Eventually we will get a vaccine and then it will become just another serious virus that we are aware of but not that worried about, but that's a long way away. 

They may not like empty stadiums, but if it comes down to it, I guarantee they'll do it, because TV is where a bulk of the money is. I would hope by then if we're not back to some sort of normalcy, that there will at least be enough testing that players, staff, and media crews can be regularly checked to keep them safe, and by then if we've flattened the curve enough, we'll be less worried about overwhelming the hospitals. It's much easier to do this for a few hundred per game than 60K-100K.

Edited by 'stache

Stories like this don't exactly scream "let's all get together again!"

(for those who don't like video - Atalanta vs. Valencia in Milan a) spread the Milan outbreak all over northern Italy as Atalanta fans went back home to Bergamo and b) kickstarted the Spanish outbreak as the Valencia players, staff and fans pretty much all got the bug and brought it back to mostly untouched Spain)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Y'all do realize the coronavirus doesn't do well in heat right?

Not the ones that listen to medical experts that actually know what they are talking about.  CDC, Michael Osterholm, and similar have warned that there is no clear evidence that summer temps will probably slow the spread, many even calling it 'unlikely.'

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Y'all do realize the coronavirus doesn't do well in heat right?

We don't know that for sure, obviously. We'll see how true that is over the coming months. And if it is true, it makes it more likely that it'd come roaring back in October/November ala the Spanish Flu.

Who knows what will happen with football. Too many variables to make a prediction with any sort of confidence right now. It's certainly possible there could be some sort of impact. 

34 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Not the ones that listen to medical experts that actually know what they are talking about.  CDC, Michael Osterholm, and similar have warned that there is no clear evidence that summer temps will probably slow the spread, many even calling it 'unlikely.'

Every major respiratory disease has been slowed in the Northern Hemisphere by longer and warmer days. Although we do not know this for sure and there is no clear evidence its certainly a high probability that the spread of this virus slows during the summer. 

And as a previous poster noted,  this is something we are going to have to adapt to. Health experts are defining public policy today because society has not really felt the economic consequences yet. When we have mass unemployment and costs are felt, there will be a shift in public policy that balances the risk of health against standard of living. When I hear the Governor of California say they are going to close for 12 weeks "or longer" I'm saying to myself lets see how that plan goes when the state starts bouncing checks and essential services stop. 

If we do not have the ability to meet in public places by the fall, the world would have fallen into complete anarchy. And college football would be the least of our concerns. Since I think that is not likely going to happen its logical to believe there will be a shift in policy that isolates at risk people more so than the entire US population and we get on with our lives. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 4

Already being discussed by Mack...

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article241431671.html

“Coaches really have no clue,” Brown said of the 2020 season, noting that the Tar Heels plan to resume practices this summer. “There is a fear of ‘would we have a season?’ ‘Would we have a partial season?’ ‘What does a partial season mean?’ There is a great concern because of the remedy that comes in with football.”

And Bronco is in favor of a modified season:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/what-if-college-football-doesnt-start-until-aug-1-virginias-bronco-mendenhall-is-preparing/

If the coronavirus pandemic continues for multiple months, Virginia coach Bronco Mendenhall said Thursday that the 2020 college football season could potentially be impacted … "if football is played, period." Mendenhall told a small group of reporters he is already preparing his program to begin from scratch -- with no spring practice or formal training -- on or around Aug. 1 with the beginning of fall camp.

"We're preparing exactly with that model in place," Mendenhall said during a videoconference. "We're acting as if, and we're making preparations as if, we won't have spring practice. We possibly won't have players here for summer school, any session, and possibly we won't have the opportunity for anything other than fall camp to begin.

"Knowing that fall camp timing might even be pushed back, meaning that there certainly could be a chance that it's not even be a full schedule played this year -- if football is played, period."

Asked to consider a season without college football, one Power Five athletic director said, "We'd end up cutting sports. We'd be firing people."

ESPN's "Get Up" was speculating that if baseball does get underway and the season extends into mid Fall the post season may end up being played in domed stadiums on neutral sites since weather in some cities would be too cold/inclement

Gotta credit Mrs. Laga4 for a good idea if there is no football season.

She said we'll still go through our Saturday routine,  get up put on our colors,  get the smoker or grill ready,  ice down the beer and get ready for football.

We will have picked out a great game of the past that is on youtube and play it at whatever time we want.  If we want an 11:00 game for some reason then that's when we start it. Same for a 2:30 game or if we are busy during the day,  we can have a night game.  

Hope it doesn't come to that,  but that will be our fix if things don't turn out good for the season.  

Edited by Laga4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Laga4 said:

Gotta credit Mrs. Laga4 for a good idea if there is no football season.

She said we'll still go through our Saturday routine,  get up put on our colors,  get the smoker or grill ready,  ice down the beer and get ready for football.

We will have picked out a great game of the past that is on youtube and play it at whatever time we want.  If we want an 11:00 game for some reason then that's when we start it. Same for a 2:30 game or if we are busy during the day,  we can have a night game.  

Hope it doesn't come to that,  but that will be our fix if things don't turn out good for the season.  

I tried something similar last Saturday with some friends - we each picked a game from our favorite teams (Cuse basketball, ND and UT football) and played it. It was kinda fun, but definitely not the same.

3 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Yep, Osterholm keeps saying that MERS and SARS, which are both related to this China virus, show no signs of not tolerating heat.  MERS, in particular, since it is still a problem in the Middle East where it is transmitted from Camels. If it slows down in the summer, it may be because people tend to not congregate in enclosed areas during hot weather.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Every major respiratory disease has been slowed in the Northern Hemisphere by longer and warmer days. Although we do not know this for sure and there is no clear evidence its certainly a high probability that the spread of this virus slows during the summer. 

And as a previous poster noted,  this is something we are going to have to adapt to. Health experts are defining public policy today because society has not really felt the economic consequences yet. When we have mass unemployment and costs are felt, there will be a shift in public policy that balances the risk of health against standard of living. When I hear the Governor of California say they are going to close for 12 weeks "or longer" I'm saying to myself lets see how that plan goes when the state starts bouncing checks and essential services stop. 

If we do not have the ability to meet in public places by the fall, the world would have fallen into complete anarchy. And college football would be the least of our concerns. Since I think that is not likely going to happen its logical to believe there will be a shift in policy that isolates at risk people more so than the entire US population and we get on with our lives. 

You kind of wander all over the place here but miss a major point or two.  One, look at the Spanish flu that hit just over 100 years ago.  It did slow with longer/warmer days like you said...and like many in the field think will happen this time.  We won't still be holed up as you mention in your last paragraph.  Most experts agree we'll slowly move away from quarantine in the late spring/early summer.  But then have to lock down again in fall.  So, I agree, if for some bizarre reason we're still quarantined in fall, we'd be in a world of anarchy.  But the reality is we can at least ease up in the summer but have to get a least a little more strict in fall.  So that may not mean isolation at home but it probably means no sports with 70k+ fans and a 50/50 shot on contact sports.

I'm not saying that's a sure thing but you only consider off quarantine and play vs still quarantined.  The most likely scenario is probably in the middle. 

Your economy concerns pretty much follow the same pattern as the disease above.  Open things up slowly then likely have to clamp down at least a little in the fall.  I'd agree with you nobody is keeping the economy this locked down all the way through fall or anarchy is definitely going to rule the day. 

Last scenario, if it's like MERS/SARS and doesn't slow much with heat - we have to keep this type of quarantine longer and slowly let up.   So much of the economy would be out of the 'coma' but 70k packed stadiums may still need to wait.  

My guess as a fan is that at worst we get games in but limited crowds.  The dork science part of me sees it hard to believe we'll be jamming 75k humans together in just a few months.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Pretty sure all sports will be cancelled forever like they should have done with h1n1 and swine flu. It's the only way to be safe going forward.

While they won't be, I wouldn't be that flip about it (IGNORE THE CR COMPONENT THIS IS JUST ABOUT THE GRAPHS)

Edited by texifornia