College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Ignore the CR component of a tweet from a Washington Post guy....uhmm yeah. About that...

Honestly, the tweet isn't very partisan at all. But this isn't the place to get into it - I just don't want an argument about Hannity or Obama or anyone.

Just now, texifornia said:

Honestly, the tweet isn't very partisan at all. But this isn't the place to get into it - I just don't want an argument about Hannity or Obama or anyone.

Yet you posted it anyway...there aren't any other CR posts on this thread referencing Hannity or anyone else 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Yet you posted it anyway...there aren't any other CR posts on this thread referencing Hannity or anyone else 

I trusted people to just look at a couple of charts that happened to be up on my Twitter feed because I was too lazy to dig for a totally clean version and ignore some pretty inoffensive copy around it. You're just looking for reasons to be mad.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I trusted people to just look at a couple of charts that happened to be up on my Twitter feed because I was too lazy to dig for a totally clean version and ignore some pretty inoffensive copy around it. You're just looking for reasons to be mad.

To be fair, 'you're just looking for reasons to be mad', is kind of our motto around here. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

No, I'm not. But someone (you) unnecessarily posted some political crap on the football board and I believe there's a place for that and it has been addressed already 

10 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Do you think there will even be a college football season? Maybe with no crowds? 

What if a player gets coronavirus, does the whole team get quarantined for 2 weeks and you have to forfeit? 

Well then here’s to hoping OU gets coronavirus and they have to forfeit all their games 

• Like 1

If there's no football season, how many athletic departments go bankrupt?  No ticket sales, no TV money, donations will be way down.  Bills and inflated coaching and department salaries are still due. It'll hurt every school but there's probably 50-75 of the 120 BCS teams that it will absolutely destroy without government intervention. However, I don't think people have much stomach to save athletic departments with tax dollars, especially schools like aggy.

Shit, if there's no summer music festivals, can C3/LiveNation/etc still fund the basketball arena?

Edited by CooterBrown

Every major respiratory disease has been slowed in the Northern Hemisphere by longer and warmer days. Although we do not know this for sure and there is no clear evidence its certainly a high probability that the spread of this virus slows during the summer. 
And as a previous poster noted,  this is something we are going to have to adapt to. Health experts are defining public policy today because society has not really felt the economic consequences yet. When we have mass unemployment and costs are felt, there will be a shift in public policy that balances the risk of health against standard of living. When I hear the Governor of California say they are going to close for 12 weeks "or longer" I'm saying to myself lets see how that plan goes when the state starts bouncing checks and essential services stop. 
If we do not have the ability to meet in public places by the fall, the world would have fallen into complete anarchy. And college football would be the least of our concerns. Since I think that is not likely going to happen its logical to believe there will be a shift in policy that isolates at risk people more so than the entire US population and we get on with our lives. 

I think the last part you wrote is the way it will be..businesses that cater to groups of people will be required to have hand sanitizer at the door, maybe employees wesring masks, and some places like grocery stores/retail will have special shopping times for only people 65+.

Of course once we get a damn vaccine (one that is safe and effective, not just rushed) this whole thing will just be a part of normal everyday life...like getting flu/swine flu shots, or extra vaccines before international travel.

Gotta credit Mrs. Laga4 for a good idea if there is no football season.
She said we'll still go through our Saturday routine,  get up put on our colors,  get the smoker or grill ready,  ice down the beer and get ready for football.
We will have picked out a great game of the past that is on youtube and play it at whatever time we want.  If we want an 11:00 game for some reason then that's when we start it. Same for a 2:30 game or if we are busy during the day,  we can have a night game.  
Hope it doesn't come to that,  but that will be our fix if things don't turn out good for the season.  
That will get tiresome by the second or third Saturday..a huge part of the appeal of sports is the uncertainty of whats going to happen. There is only one thing pre-determined and unchanging that will never get old..and that's OU sucking for eternity.

12 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You kind of wander all over the place here but miss a major point or two.  One, look at the Spanish flu that hit just over 100 years ago.  It did slow with longer/warmer days like you said...and like many in the field think will happen this time.  We won't still be holed up as you mention in your last paragraph.  Most experts agree we'll slowly move away from quarantine in the late spring/early summer.  But then have to lock down again in fall.  So, I agree, if for some bizarre reason we're still quarantined in fall, we'd be in a world of anarchy.  But the reality is we can at least ease up in the summer but have to get a least a little more strict in fall.  So that may not mean isolation at home but it probably means no sports with 70k+ fans and a 50/50 shot on contact sports.

I'm not saying that's a sure thing but you only consider off quarantine and play vs still quarantined.  The most likely scenario is probably in the middle. 

Your economy concerns pretty much follow the same pattern as the disease above.  Open things up slowly then likely have to clamp down at least a little in the fall.  I'd agree with you nobody is keeping the economy this locked down all the way through fall or anarchy is definitely going to rule the day. 

Last scenario, if it's like MERS/SARS and doesn't slow much with heat - we have to keep this type of quarantine longer and slowly let up.   So much of the economy would be out of the 'coma' but 70k packed stadiums may still need to wait.  

My guess as a fan is that at worst we get games in but limited crowds.  The dork science part of me sees it hard to believe we'll be jamming 75k humans together in just a few months.  

Hosting big public events like crowds at college football games is definitely going to take much more confidence about the spread of the virus without a doubt. But I don't think we ever lock down our country again after this. It's not economically possible even if it is the what public health experts think is optimal. The controller for California already said the Governor's plan is not possible to lock down right now for the length of time they want. Everything that we are doing is requiring mass amounts of economic resources and the economic engine is the only way to create those resources to fight this.  Those at risk are going to have to self select and avoid others at some point and vast majority of the population that is not at risk of serious harm will have to get on with normal life. 

The only lens people are looking through right now is purely the risk associated with public health and its leading to the most draconian measures taken without any other consideration. That is not sustainable. In Colorado they are estimating the state budget will have to be cut between 25-50% next year if we keep in lock down. This at a time when we need MORE economic resources to keep people safe. Simply put, people are going to have to go back to work if we want any chance of having the resources to take care of the at risk. 

That's why I predict in a few weeks at most regardless of what the numbers are saying policy will start to look much differently than it is today. Maybe that means that no one over the age of 65 will be allowed to attend a sporting event until a vaccine is widely available or people with asthma will just have to be secluded for the duration. I don't know what exactly it will look like but it wont look like this past the short term. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Hosting big public events like crowds at college football games is definitely going to take much more confidence about the spread of the virus without a doubt. But I don't think we ever lock down our country again after this. It's not economically possible even if it is the what public health experts think is optimal. The controller for California already said the Governor's plan is not possible to lock down right now for the length of time they want. Everything that we are doing is requiring mass amounts of economic resources and the economic engine is the only way to create those resources to fight this.  Those at risk are going to have to self select and avoid others at some point and vast majority of the population that is not at risk of serious harm will have to get on with normal life. 

The only lens people are looking through right now is purely the risk associated with public health and its leading to the most draconian measures taken without any other consideration. That is not sustainable. In Colorado they are estimating the state budget will have to be cut between 25-50% next year if we keep in lock down. This at a time when we need MORE economic resources to keep people safe. Simply put, people are going to have to go back to work if we want any chance of having the resources to take care of the at risk. 

That's why I predict in a few weeks at most regardless of what the numbers are saying policy will start to look much differently than it is today. Maybe that means that no one over the age of 65 will be allowed to attend a sporting event until a vaccine is widely available or people with asthma will just have to be secluded for the duration. I don't know what exactly it will look like but it wont look like this past the short term. 

I’ve got my MBA and have done a lot in the business world.  I can wear both hats.  The economy will recover fine. 

If you didn’t have a quarantine, the entire healthcare system in 8-10 major cities would completely collapse.  Those economic repercussions would be much more severe long term.  Sorry, but you’re insane if you think next time we don’t quarantine again.  If anything we do it sooner and in a more strict fashion - that way you come out of it faster.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 6

I was watching some old Louis CK clips this morning and he had a thing about peanut allergies and if we all just put our hands over our eyes for a year we would um...cure the peanut allergy.

I have to wonder if at some point we just make a hard call and say society is going to resume and whoever gets it and passes...passes. 

32 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ve got my MBA and have done a lot in the business world.  I can wear both hats.  The economy will recover fine. 

If you didn’t have a quarantine, the entire healthcare system in 8-10 major cities would completely collapse.  Those economic repercussions would be much more long term.  Sorry, but you’re insane if you think next time we don’t quarantine again.  If anything we do it sooner and in a more strict fashion - that way you come out of it faster.  

I never argued this quarantine was not required. That was a nice straw man to pull out to argue against. I argue that this is not economically sustainable. It's valid to gear up our health care system and buy us time to build the necessary capacity but its not a solution that can be utilized for long. Around me, they took an event center and are turning it into a triage to treat covid patients. The time we bought in Colorado is allowing the system to add capacity so it is not overrun. Nowhere did I suggest this was a bad idea. By the fall, after months of pushing more resources we will have (hopefully) enough of the critical supplies that we are short on now. 

States and local governments are bleeding money at a record pace. The muni bond market is under significant strain making borrowing even more difficult if not impossible for many local governments. It's not even a health care question beyond the short term - its a finance problem that is not balancing. 

• Like 1

There is a rumor up here that the B1G has already had discussions to kill the OOC schedule and run a 9 game Conference schedule with no bye weeks that would start October 3rd and finish the week the normal B1G conference championship game is played. I guess that means no conference championship game. 

I obviously want football but with no championship to be played whats the point (queue the Harbaugh can't find indy jokes)

22 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I was watching some old Louis CK clips this morning and he had a thing about peanut allergies and if we all just put our hands over our eyes for a year we would um...cure the peanut allergy.

I have to wonder if at some point we just make a hard call and say society is going to resume and whoever gets it and passes...passes. 

Hah, that was one of his best bits. Might be a huge asshole, but dude knew comedy.

20 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Every major respiratory disease has been slowed in the Northern Hemisphere by longer and warmer days. Although we do not know this for sure and there is no clear evidence its certainly a high probability that the spread of this virus slows during the summer. 

And as a previous poster noted,  this is something we are going to have to adapt to. Health experts are defining public policy today because society has not really felt the economic consequences yet. When we have mass unemployment and costs are felt, there will be a shift in public policy that balances the risk of health against standard of living. When I hear the Governor of California say they are going to close for 12 weeks "or longer" I'm saying to myself lets see how that plan goes when the state starts bouncing checks and essential services stop. 

If we do not have the ability to meet in public places by the fall, the world would have fallen into complete anarchy. And college football would be the least of our concerns. Since I think that is not likely going to happen its logical to believe there will be a shift in policy that isolates at risk people more so than the entire US population and we get on with our lives. 

This hodgepodge of responses by each state will only jeopardize the season further. Why would teams in California want to allow teams from places like Mississippi, who have the exact opposite response to coronavirus, into their state after they quarantine to such an extreme extent?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I never argued this quarantine was not required. That was a nice straw man to pull out to argue against. I argue that this is not economically sustainable. It's valid to gear up our health care system and buy us time to build the necessary capacity but its not a solution that can be utilized for long. Around me, they took an event center and are turning it into a triage to treat covid patients. The time we bought in Colorado is allowing the system to add capacity so it is not overrun. Nowhere did I suggest this was a bad idea. By the fall, after months of pushing more resources we will have (hopefully) enough of the critical supplies that we are short on now. 

States and local governments are bleeding money at a record pace. The muni bond market is under significant strain making borrowing even more difficult if not impossible for many local governments. It's not even a health care question beyond the short term - its a finance problem that is not balancing. 

Lol.  Ok.  I pulled a straw man?  You know more than me on this.  Cool.  Let’s just leave it at that.  

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  Ok.  I pulled a straw man?  You know more than me on this.  Cool.  Let’s just leave it at that.  

When you attribute a position to someone else to argue against that was not there to begin with, yes that is what that means. 

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

When you attribute a position to someone else to argue against that was not there to begin with, yes that is what that means. 

‘I don’t think we ever lock down our country ever again after this.’

Your exact words.  Where’s the strawman?

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

‘I don’t think it’s possible.  Even if public health officials think its the right decision.’

More strawmen?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

‘I don’t think it’s possible.  Even if public health officials think its the right decision.’

More strawmen?

My concern is the economic damage that is taking place.  Not only will it hurt the US but it will also have harsh effects on the world economy.  Currently the estimate for people starving to death by the day is 21,000 worldwide because of a lack of employment.  An economic depression would take us to what.... maybe 100,000 plus per day?

https://editorials.voa.gov/a/world-hunger-day-2019/4935420.html

Puts the current situation into perspective, no?

Edited by 2300 Nueces

1 minute ago, 2300 Nueces said:

My concern is the economic damage that is taking place.  Not only will it hurt the US but it will also have harsh effects on the world economy.  Currently the estimate for people starving to death by the day is 21,000 worldwide because of a lack of employment.  An economic depression would take us to what.... maybe 100,000 plus per day?

https://editorials.voa.gov/a/world-hunger-day-2019/4935420.html

Puts the current situation into perspective, no?

I’m talking the US.  Nobody will starve here.  And it’s a short but deep recession.  With stimulus we will climb out relatively fast compared to 2009.  But to say we will never do this again if presented with the same situation is having a basic misunderstanding of science AND economics.  You can’t destroy the healthcare sector and not have more long term economic repercussions vs a shutdown like we are employing now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m talking the US.  Nobody will starve here.  And it’s a short but deep recession.  With stimulus we will climb out relatively fast compared to 2009.  But to say we will never do this again if presented with the same situation is having a basic misunderstanding of science AND economics.  You can’t destroy the healthcare sector and not have more long term economic repercussions vs a shutdown like we are employing now.  

What do you have against black and brown people?  The US economy is the engine for most of the world.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

Just now, 2300 Nueces said:

What do you have against black and brown people?  The US economy is the engine for most of the world.

I’m a brown person.  Fairly self loathing here.  And my point stands for the world too.  The quarantine is the right thing.  

It’s like our patients who want to go home before they’re ready...to care for others.  We tell them they need to get themselves right before they can help others.  Same damn thing here.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m a brown person.  Fairly self loathing here.  And my point stands for the world too.  The quarantine is the right thing.  

It’s like our patients who want to go home before they’re ready...to care for others.  We tell them they need to get themselves right before they can help others.  Same damn thing here.  

Understand that what we are doing here, in Europe, and in China is going to ravage the least on our planet.  I really regret our debt based economy but that's another topic altogether.  The least among us usually take the brunt of economic downturns because they will be the ones put upon.  Just sayin.

Back on topic.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

1 minute ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Understand that what we are doing here, in Europe, and in China is going to ravage the least on our planet.  I really regret our debt based economy but that's another topic altogether.  The least among us usually take the brunt of economic downturns because they will the ones put upon.  Just sayin.

I’m well aware my dude.  It’s going to suck.  This is a must.  I’m all about antibody testing.  Then we can prove millions of us had this and open up the economy a lot sooner.  
Here in Chicago we have hotel rooms set aside and I was at the convention center today getting a step down COVID unit ready. We will all band together and make it through.  Short term pain and we come out ok.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Your arguing that THIS quarantine was required. Which I did not say. 

he's arguing that you're saying this quarantine was NOT required, which I agree is not what you were saying, you were saying that based on the still unmeasured economic damage from this quarantine, we won't do it again in the future

A cancelled season may be all I need to distance from organized sports altogether.  I no longer follow NFL, NBA, or MLB.  Tread lightly herb.

These clowns are anticipating their cut of the 2 trillion corporate bailout.  A year would give them plenty of time to disappear from the grasp of the common man.

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Your arguing that THIS quarantine was required. Which I did not say. 

I am saying this one was required and I'm saying future ones will be required.  I'm not fucking happy about any of it.  I'm losing my ass too.  The hospitals are getting completely destroyed - no electives etc.  This whole thing fucking sucks.  I'm just being realistic that we need the damn quarantines for the economy and for the health of our citizens.  

I'm also a bit annoyed if we end up quarantined longer than we need to because we are not using antibody testing and tracing with positive COVID tests.  This is all shit we can do and it will 100% open up our economy faster.  It all costs money but that money pales in comparison to we will save by ending this shit as quickly/safely as we can.  

I'm not sure how many more Fridays I can see like this.  Working your ass off all week only to look forward to more work on the weekend and getting sauced with the old lady.  Good take out and pounding good booze tonight.  Yay

• Like 5

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/27/kirk-herbstreit-nfl-football-college/

KIRK HERBSTREITNFL AND NCAA FOOTBALL SHOULD BE POSTPONED... Too Risky!!!

This is bad for football fans ... ESPN star Kirk Herbstreit says he'd be "shocked" if there was NFL or college football in 2020 -- explaining it's just too dangerous with the COVID-19 pandemic.

The "College Gameday" host went on ESPN radio late Thursday and spelled out why he's so pessimistic about seeing America's biggest sport on the biggest stages.

"I'll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football. I'll be so surprised if that happens," Kirk said.

"Just because from what I understand, people that I listen to, you're 12 to 18 months from a [coronavirus] vaccine. I don't know how you let these guys go into locker rooms and let stadiums be filled up and how you can play ball. I just don't know how you can do it with the optics of it."

Kirk said if he was the NFL commish or in charge of the NCAA, he would shut it down ASAP -- "Next thing you know you got a locker room full of guys that are sick. And that's on your watch? I wouldn't want to have that."

"As much as I hate to say it, I think we're scratching the surface of where this thing's gonna go."

Kirk also says he doesn't think people realize how much time college and NFL coaches need to properly prepare their teams for the long season.

"You don't all of the sudden come up with something in July or August and say, 'Okay we're good to go' and turn 'em loose!"

As far as the NFL goes, they seem set on kicking off as scheduled -- with Roger Goodellannouncing the 2020 NFL Draft will NOT be pushed due to the pandemic.

I don't think the empty stadium thing will fly. Too many people involved including players, coaches, med staff, officials, TV personnel, facility staff, media and security. If that number of people (my guess is at least 500-600) can get together, it probably means fans would be OK too.

The problem is, I keep reading about hospitals expecting peak demand not to hit until mid-May or later. That means even if the curve comes down quickly (it won't), conditions will not allow campuses to open in time for late summer sessions. That means no facility use, no practice, etc. And pretty much means no games unless they push the season into February somehow.

I think it's too early to say it's likely to happen, but I don't blame anyone for preparing for the reality of no 2020 football.

38 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Herbie is, and always will be, a moron of the highest order. They may play in empty stadiums, but there will be a season. 100%. No doubt. I'm worried about their prep, but not the season itself.

How though?  One player tests positive halfway through the season and the entire team and the last two teams they played are in quarantine.  The fans are the secondary concern.

• Like 1

If you want to be optimistic, I'd say you're counting on: drug(s) become available which hasten treatment/release of positive patients; and increased serotonin testing which allows former positives to re-enter the world more quickly. Also need improved nationwide social distancing in the near term. And probably the NCAA and power conferences to not be anal pencil-pushers when it comes to things like eligibility, practice times, etc.

All of that could certainly happen. Unfortunately we might need to see some Italy-type scenes over here to wake everyone the fuck up