College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Fuck everything about this, fuck it all...i cannot have a fall with no CFB.

Having said that, this past week has been great catching up on Hulu shows, shit I dvr'd weeks ago and never watched, and playing XB1 games i havent touched in months. We have enough food (including enough tp to paper everyones trees in the hood) ..so as long as liquor stores and drive thru's remain open (and I'm getting paid to work at home) I can ride this thing out for as long as needed..but no CFB isn't acceptable no matter what. If has to be just the teams, support staff and tv crews...so be it.

P.s...Its 1:59am and OU still sucks

• Like 1

SIAP, but if they do cancel the 2020 season, then Shirley I'm getting my money back for season tickets, right?  I just paid $2,200 about a week before the shit really hit the fan.  I'm sure my Longhorn Foundation won't be refunded as it's an annual giving that locks in my season ticket entitlement each year, and I'm fine with that.  But no way that the University keeps all of its season ticket money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

SIAP, but if they do cancel the 2020 season, then Shirley I'm getting my money back for season tickets, right?  I just paid $2,200 about a week before the shit really hit the fan.  I'm sure my Longhorn Foundation won't be refunded as it's an annual giving that locks in my season ticket entitlement each year, and I'm fine with that.  But no way that the University keeps all of its season ticket money. 

No way, you say. Lol,

You obviously don’t understand your available remedies.

If the season does get cancelled, and you don’t get your money refunded, go ahead and take the university to court and tell the judge about “no way.”

In the mean time, read up on sovereign immunity. 

You may or may not get your money refunded. You may or may not get your payment applied to the 2021 season. You will not legally compel the state to refund your money. 

5 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

No way, you say. Lol,

You obviously don’t understand your available remedies.

If the season does get cancelled, and you don’t get your money refunded, go ahead and take the university to court and tell the judge about “no way.”

In the mean time, read up on sovereign immunity. 

You may or may not get your money refunded. You may or may not get your payment applied to the 2021 season. You will not legally compel the state to refund your money. 

I’m a lawyer who’s handled several immunity cases for and against governmental entities, though maybe not as many as you have. I was just asking about possible University policy. But while you’re at it you can tell me about times tables.

Edited by South Austin
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'd hope schools would just offer to roll everything over to the next year. Maybe I'm being naive. 

I'd be extremely surprised if college football was canceled this fall. But what wouldn't surprise me would be a reduced bowl schedule. I'm talking about the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, whoever is hosting the two semi games, the national championship, and that's it. No more Ranch Style Beans presents the Office Max Armed Forces Bowl presented to you by Pepsi Blue.

Just now, HRSchenker said:

I'd be extremely surprised if college football was canceled this fall. But what wouldn't surprise me would be a reduced bowl schedule. I'm talking about the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, whoever is hosting the two semi games, the national championship, and that's it. No more Ranch Style Beans presents the Office Max Armed Forces Bowl presented to you by Pepsi Blue.

When's the play or no play date in your opinion ?

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I’m a lawyer who’s handled several immunity cases for and against governmental entities, though maybe not as many as you have. I was just asking about possible University policy. But while you’re at it you can tell me about times tables.

You are a lawyer with experience litigating civil claims against sovereign entities and yet you claim there is "no way" the university could keep your money. Ok, cool. Hook 'em.

To my knowledge, there is no established university policy for refunding UT sports tickets in times of global viral pandemic and/or national health emergency. A lot of what is going on at the university is being decided on the spur of the moment and highly subject to later revision. Just be patient like the rest of us, and let the Bellmont staff sort everything out as best they can. Or not. It's your call.

And no, I haven't handled a lot of civil litigation against sovereign entities. But I do enjoy the humor of people insisting there is "no way" the state can be allowed to do something. Thanks for being one of those people. It's always good to start my week with a cup of coffee and a good laugh.

Just a quick suggestion - since you obviously have an interest in the subject, why not try being part of the solution and be a leading voice in helping Bellmont sort the problem out? Possibly start a separate thread focused on the issue of pre-paid sports tickets to UT sports events. Give people a resource to obtain additional information regarding their legal options (which aren't good) and possibly be the voice of the similarly suited great unwashed burnt orange masses. See what happens, and go from there.

No one wants a confrontation with the university over possible sports ticket refunds. Dial down the "no way" bluster and accept there is indeed a way.  The university absolutely can keep the money if the season gets cancelled. The optimal solution will require some clear and level-headed thinking. UT athletics is probably going to be in a cash crunch soon (as is almost every post-secondary institution with a self-supporting athletics department). Individuals are equitably entitled to refunds if the season needs to be cancelled for public health reasons.

The mission of UT has never been to educate chicken farmers or to provide military costumed "therapy" for young adults with severe self-esteem issues. The mission of UT has always been to provide highly educated leaders capable of solving problems.

Either jump in and get involved in solving the problem, or don't. But if you do nothing, don't complain if you don't agree with the eventual decision, should the season be cancelled.

At the moment, my personal belief is there is no way the 2020 NCAA football or basketball season gets played. Round two of this virus will be a palpable fear as we enter the fall, still with no vaccine.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Fuck You 1

They won't keep the ticket $$ if the season is cancelled.  I just don't see that happening.  I could see them giving those who already paid an option of rolling ticket $$ over and reclassing them a donation.

For the record, I'm one of the dumb f**ks that paid my 2020 donation and for tickets in January.  I'm prepared for whatever they decide to do.  I will say this....if they just say, "sorry, thanks for paying early and supporting UT athletics, but we're keeping the ticket cash" I'm likely done with UT sports forever and I suspect I would not be alone.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

I'd hate to see the what the pregame team banquet contest would be for a Ranch Style Beans bowl. 

If the 2020 season is cancelled and the University doesn’t refund season ticket purchases, then in light of the decline of college football attendance over the past few years, combined with the product Longhorn fans have seen on the field the past decade, there’s a strong chance the University loses a ton of good will and a significant amount of season ticket holders. Maybe a lot of folks will accept that and continue to fork over money for season tickets. I likely won’t be one of them.

And despite RD’s obtuse response that meanders in off-point directions, there is indeed a meaningful distinction between whether a governmental entity can legally be forced to pay or refund private citizens money in light of immunity and whether it will in fact do so out of contractual obligation, good business sense, and/or public relations. Were there none, governmental entities would breach contracts or refuse refunds when paid-for goods and services aren’t not provided with impunity.

And spare us all the do-something-or-don’t-complain mantra. It’s a fucking message board with a wide variety of topics where we all do just that, for Christ sake. If a lack of action precluded us from raising and discussing critical issues, this board would dry up.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Randolph's answers always spend way too much time in the thin tails of what "could" can be contorted to mean, instead of the bell curve of what "will" actually entails

Given him a slight bit credit, though.  He managed to weave in another jab at aggy.

27 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

If they cancel we need to be allowed to carry 110 scholarships temporarily. You can't fuck over the seniors nor the incoming class. We finally have a senior quarterback who doesn't suck.

It just dawned on me that we've maybe seen the last of Joseph Ossai. 

1 hour ago, gecko said:

They won't keep the ticket $$ if the season is cancelled.  I just don't see that happening.  I could see them giving those who already paid an option of rolling ticket $$ over and reclassing them a donation.

For the record, I'm one of the dumb f**ks that paid my 2020 donation and for tickets in January.  I'm prepared for whatever they decide to do.  I will say this....if they just say, "sorry, thanks for paying early and supporting UT athletics, but we're keeping the ticket cash" I'm likely done with UT sports forever and I suspect I would not be alone.

I renewed early but did the payment plan so only about half way through. My guess would be they donation portion would not be refunded but tickets applied as a credit to next year. I would hope that the donation portion could then be reclassified for higher priority points and allow me to deduct the full amount from taxes though at least if it does happen like that.

40 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I renewed early but did the payment plan so only about half way through. My guess would be they donation portion would not be refunded but tickets applied as a credit to next year. I would hope that the donation portion could then be reclassified for higher priority points and allow me to deduct the full amount from taxes though at least if it does happen like that.

They emailed me and told me I could apply the balance on my baseball tix to next season, or receive a refund. I imagine football would be the same. 

• Like 1

I am actually on the side of the fence that thinks we will have college football. I think improved testing where you only need 5 minutes to tell if someone is positive or not. Plus better therapies to improve outcomes and prevent hospitalizations, will take the bite out of this illness. If we get a therapy that can reduce hospitalizations to under 1%, this is over immediately and life can return to normal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I am actually on the side of the fence that thinks we will have college football. I think improved testing where you only need 5 minutes to tell if someone is positive or not. Plus better therapies to improve outcomes and prevent hospitalizations, will take the bite out of this illness. If we get a therapy that can reduce hospitalizations to under 1%, this is over immediately and life can return to normal. 

But the counterpoint to the sentence in bold is what do you do once someone tests positive?  Since you can be asymptomatic for a few days and transmit to others before you show any signs, once one teammate or coach tests positive, there's a good chance others will follow, and then several players and coaches, if not all, will have to be in quarantine for some time.

Maybe we have shit under control at that point.  Or maybe we treat it like any other injury -- if 15 members of your team coincidentally tear their ACLs in one week, well tough shit, you have to play your next opponent with a significant handicap.  That's life.  But I don't think with what we know at this point it's as easy as you say.   

28 minutes ago, South Austin said:

But the counterpoint to the sentence in bold is what do you do once someone tests positive?  Since you can be asymptomatic for a few days and transmit to others before you show any signs, once one teammate or coach tests positive, there's a good chance others will follow, and then several players and coaches, if not all, will have to be in quarantine for some time.

Maybe we have shit under control at that point.  Or maybe we treat it like any other injury -- if 15 members of your team coincidentally tear their ACLs in one week, well tough shit, you have to play your next opponent with a significant handicap.  That's life.  But I don't think with what we know at this point it's as easy as you say.   

I was thinking it may be as easy as prescribing a few pills as a treatment therapy and then having others they have been in contact with get tested. Yes it presents a logistical issue but for the amount of money at stake for college football, they will probably foot the bill and get it done. 

52 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If it’s still spreading we will not have football.  Stop wasting your breath with these people.  

• Like 1