College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

On 3/30/2020 at 1:59 AM, ousux said:

Fuck everything about this, fuck it all...i cannot have a fall with no CFB.

Having said that, this past week has been great catching up on Hulu shows, shit I dvr'd weeks ago and never watched, and playing XB1 games i havent touched in months. We have enough food (including enough tp to paper everyones trees in the hood) ..so as long as liquor stores and drive thru's remain open (and I'm getting paid to work at home) I can ride this thing out for as long as needed..but no CFB isn't acceptable no matter what. If has to be just the teams, support staff and tv crews...so be it.

P.s...Its 1:59am and OU still sucks

Username checks out.

On 3/30/2020 at 6:28 PM, Shaggy3.0 said:

face it.   no football this fall.

all is not lost.  we need to self-organize.  let's get forty surly posters together and play contact flag football at bowie's practice field.  webcam that bitch for the lulz.

4b0.gif

McMurphy on some of the radical options being considered, such as the CFP games held after the NFL draft around Memorial Day. Some very awkward conversations will be needed on most campuses. Sounds like a serious disagreement on whether athletes should be allowed on campus if all other students are not. This should come more into focus by late May

https://watchstadium.com/spring-football-eight-game-season-ads-ponder-contingency-plans-04-01-2020/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

50 - 60 stadiums on Saturdays with anywhere from 25,000 - 100,000 people in each venue.

Not going to happen this year.   

Sucks exponentially, don't get me wrong. 

I feel like we'd need to be out of the weeds a lot sooner than we're gonna be, in order to start first week of September.

And that's not even considering the second wave in the fall. 

14 minutes ago, Bartles said:

More possibilities from The Athletic.

Noninvasive temperature checks at stadium gates

"Checkerboard" seating for fans (How do you enforce? I can't see this working in CFB or NFL at all)

CLEAR-type preregistration so fans can prove they are healthy and jump to front of line. CLEAR is already set up at some venues

Do some research on how the state of Louisiana implemented responsible precautions during Mardi Gras. Then tell me you will trust the state of Louisiana to enforce responsible precautions when Texas plays LSU this fall in Baton Rouge.

The bigger issue is the student athletes. There is no way to protect their health when they travel to away games. That was the primary concern that lead to cancelling the NCAA tournaments. Not paying athletes is one thing. Not paying athletes and then forcing them to choose between losing their scholarship and literally risking their lives so the alumni can watch games in the fall isn't going to fly at schools where administrators actually care about education and the lives of their students on campus.

Before any conversation about playing college football games this fall, there first needs to a collective decision how many student athlete deaths from contracting the virus during travel will be acceptable. My guess is that outside the S!E!C!, that number is zero.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

So, if its not played, do ESPN, FOX etc pay out the TV revenue?  Do the schools pay the coaches?  

The networks don't have to pay for content that isn't provided. There will be a force majeure clause in there, and that clause is probably favorable to the schools for very short-term things but not so much if an entire season goes away. The contracts are not pay-for-play, meaning they don't pay on a per-game basis and if a single game or even weekend of games goes away, the network still probably pays out most of what it owes, but if the entire fucking season goes away, the schools are SOL. A hurricane comes along and blows away 2 or 3 ACC games, that's one thing. The ACC takes 2020 off, that's different.

As to the coaches, they're employees and they have a contract. The only way to not pay them is to ask them nicely or go to court.

"This is America, man. We've stormed the beaches of Normandy. We've sent a rover out on Mars and walked on the moon," Swinney said. "This is the greatest country. We've created an iPhone where I can sit here and talk to people in all these different places. We've got the smartest people in the world. We're going to rise up and kick this thing in the teeth and get back to our lives." 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28991417/clemson-dabo-swinney-zero-doubt-college-season-starts

Edited by Tailgate
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

The networks don't have to pay for content that isn't provided. There will be a force majeure clause in there, and that clause is probably favorable to the schools for very short-term things but not so much if an entire season goes away. The contracts are not pay-for-play, meaning they don't pay on a per-game basis and if a single game or even weekend of games goes away, the network still probably pays out most of what it owes, but if the entire fucking season goes away, the schools are SOL. A hurricane comes along and blows away 2 or 3 ACC games, that's one thing. The ACC takes 2020 off, that's different.

As to the coaches, they're employees and they have a contract. The only way to not pay them is to ask them nicely or go to court.

Well we know how Tech and aggy will handle it

24 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

"This is America, man. We've stormed the beaches of Normandy. We've sent a rover out on Mars and walked on the moon," Swinney said. "This is the greatest country. We've created an iPhone where I can sit here and talk to people in all these different places. We've got the smartest people in the world. We're going to rise up and kick this thing in the teeth and get back to our lives." 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28991417/clemson-dabo-swinney-zero-doubt-college-season-starts

BYOG - Bring ya own GUTS!!!

Clemson vs COVID-19? - Give me Clemson and the over!

5 hours ago, Bartles said:

More possibilities from The Athletic.

Noninvasive temperature checks at stadium gates

"Checkerboard" seating for fans (How do you enforce? I can't see this working in CFB or NFL at all)

CLEAR-type preregistration so fans can prove they are healthy and jump to front of line. CLEAR is already set up at some venues

Checkerboard seating? LOL.  Like the movie theaters, who have already closed in spite of this measure? Yeah, no. At the typical football stadium that would put like 15" between fans.

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Eyes of Texas Pt 1: Could start of football be moved to January?

By FUCK CHIP BROWN     19 hours ago

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-move-to-spring-coronavirus-power-five-athletic-directors-145642773/

They're talking about closing campuses until January, so yeah, I guess so.

Typical sensationalist Finebaum messaging. I don't know anything about the KSU guy, but we'll be lucky to have a vaccine "in place" (like, for everyone) by July 2021. To have CFB games, we need campuses open which will mainly be about immunity and ability to test quickly. Consensus on that seems to be 2-4 months after whenever the curve comes all the way back down.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think he’s saying that without a miracle vaccine by July don’t even think about fb. Seems like common sense. We’ll still be in the shit mid summer. The curve flattening doesn’t mean we’ve solved anything it just means we’re on to the next step, which should be massive testing and tracking. I’ve heard nowhere that there’s any plan for that in the US yet. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 1