College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

16 hours ago, michaelpshayes said:

one of my friends is a current Big12 AD as of last Saturday he was not optimistic 

I don't think any school is going to put 70 to 100K people in football stands until there is a vaccine.  I also think there will be vaccine sooner than anyone expects.

37 minutes ago, gecko said:

I don't think any school is going to put 70 to 100K people in football stands until there is a vaccine.  I also think there will be vaccine sooner than anyone expects.

If "sooner than anyone expects" is in time for the start of football season, you're wrong. If it's sometime before 2021, I really hope that you're right.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

If "sooner than anyone expects" is in time for the start of football season, you're wrong. If it's sometime before 2021, I really hope that you're right.

Based on nothing but a hunch, I believe we are vaccinating by early Fall by striking a balance somewhere between the risk to those vaccinated and reward to society.  Certainly not in time for football in 2020.

I think we're staring at a conference-only season beginning in January for both football and basketball.

Of course, I'm one of the guys who paid his LHF dues and renewed the season tickets in late January just as this whole thing was gaining momentum.  

Edited by gecko

15 hours ago, The University said:

I think you mean getting paid millions to not coach a hame

This is a confounding sentence if you have skipped to the last page of a thread you've never opened before. It took me thirty seconds to figure out it was just a typo.

I spent that half minute wondering if I'd missed the birth of a new football term. Or maybe there was a family of Hames and some coach was failing one of them. Ah, failure to capitalize isn't the problem here: just a missed key on the keyboard. Hmmm. Not fame. Not lame, Not home, Hume, or hare. Context, Roma! Context!

I thought I'd share a moment of idiocy from the Covidbunker. Obviously, it should read, not coach a hammer. I feel dumb as a bag of games.

Okay, now back to watch the persons with intellectual development defects romp with large predatory animals.

Edited by RomaVicta
missed a key on the keyboard myself
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, gecko said:

Based on nothing but a hunch, I believe we are vaccinating by early Fall by striking a balance somewhere between the risk to those vaccinated and reward to society.  Certainly not in time for football in 2020.

I think we're staring at a conference-only season beginning in January for both football and basketball.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I think that timeline is very optimistic even under those conditions.

I do think we'll probably be looking at January football at the earliest, in my very non-scientific opinion.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I think that timeline is very optimistic even under those conditions.
I do think we'll probably be looking at January football at the earliest, in my very non-scientific opinion.
So start putting thousands of people together in stadiums at the height of flu season instead of warmer (or hotter than the surface of a thousands suns in the south) months when viruses arent likely to surive long on outdoor surfaces? To me it seems if we dont start the season by October at least..we wont have CFB until the following August.

1 hour ago, ousux said:
7 hours ago, wood said:

So start putting thousands of people together in stadiums at the height of flu season instead of warmer (or hotter than the surface of a thousands suns in the south) months when viruses arent likely to surive long on outdoor surfaces? To me it seems if we dont start the season by October at least..we wont have CFB until the following August.

Yeah I don't really think it'll happen in January either, or that it makes much sense. That's just what is apparently being kicked around.

Of course, I'm one of the guys who paid his LHF dues and renewed the season tickets in late January just as this whole thing was gaining momentum.  

I’ve got a really fantastic bridge I think you’d be interested in.
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, Sejjr said:

It is still too early for the talking heads to start talking about canceling football. That shit is not helpful right now.  

I read a tweet where the idea is to just give all fans a free face mask, with either the school logo, or with advertisements.?!

On 4/4/2020 at 11:36 AM, RomaVicta said:

This is a confounding sentence if you have skipped to the last page of a thread you've never opened before. It took me thirty seconds to figure out it was just a typo.

I spent that half minute wondering if I'd missed the birth of a new football term. Or maybe there was a family of Hames and some coach was failing one of them. Ah, failure to capitalize isn't the problem here: just a missed key on the keyboard. Hmmm. Not fame. Not lame, Not home, Hume, or hare. Context, Roma! Context!

I thought I'd share a moment of idiocy from the Covidbunker. Obviously, it should read, not coach a hammer. I feel dumb as a bag of games.

Okay, now back to watch the persons with intellectual development defects romp with large predatory animals.

I for one would like to thank you for filling a disproportionate share of the dead air we've all been desperately sloughing through. Outstanding effort.

On 4/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, Sejjr said:

It is still too early for the talking heads to start talking about canceling football. That shit is not helpful right now.  

talking about the worst possible scenarios in the most earnest, empathetic-yet-sober tone, shows how serious a person you are

it's helpful to my ego

On 4/4/2020 at 10:21 AM, gecko said:

Based on nothing but a hunch 

A hunch that goes against all available information. Including the information coming from the various companies, governments, universities, etc. involved in the effort.

lol okay

52 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

The numbers are already plateauing. This thing is gonna be over no later than July

Us sheltering in place?  I agree.  State and national governments allowing 100,000 person gatherings to breath all over each other for 4 hours?  Unlikely.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Us sheltering in place?  I agree.  State and national governments allowing 100,000 person gatherings to breath all over each other for 4 hours?  Unlikely.

Yeah this just means the countermeasures might be starting to work. It doesn't mean you reverse the countermeasures, probably not even 3 or 4 months from now.

One reason it is still too early to discuss cancelling fall football is because the "peak", according to the models which have so far proven to be much more extreme than the actual data is showing, is still at least 10 days away. And because this is a fast moving thing and data changes daily, and we might find out that a month from now, things look a whole lot better than they do now. Or maybe they go the other way and the shit completely hits the fan...nobody fucking knows. Especially not Kirk Herbstreit and his ilk. So lets see how this plays out over April, and then we can start discussing what to do in September. Just my worthless opinion though. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 8:38 AM, gecko said:

If by sooner you mean that they'll be testing on ou fans, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aggie08 said:

They do it every year during flu season.  Supposedly, 61,000 people in the US died from the flu during the 2018-19 flu season.  Just sayin.....

1 hour ago, tonedeaf said:

They do it every year during flu season.  Supposedly, 61,000 people in the US died from the flu during the 2018-19 flu season.  Just sayin.....

Deaths and Mortality

Data are for the U.S.

• Number of deaths: 2,813,503
  • Death rate: 863.8 deaths per 100,000 population
  • Life expectancy: 78.6 years
  • Infant Mortality rate: 5.79 deaths per 1,000 live births

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

• Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Latest global, national, and state COVID stats:

https://ncov2019.live/data

Latest U.S. numbers:

367,719 confirmed cases, 10,943 deaths, 16,436 recovered        
Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

Good post Duke.  Doing the math, mortality rate is about 0.03%.  We DO know all the deaths, we DO NOT know all who actually do have the virus.  We just know confirmed cases.  So percentage is probably lower.

I have survived swine flu, sars, west nile, ebola, measles, small pox, aids, malaria, desentary (sp?), and the Vietnam war.  This is just something else.  I'll survive or I won't. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

25 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Good post Duke.  Doing the math, mortality rate is about 0.03%.  We DO know all the deaths, we DO NOT know all who actually do have the virus.  We just know confirmed cases.  So percentage is probably lower.

I have survived swine flu, sars, west nile, ebola, measles, small pox, aids, malaria, desentary (sp?), and the Vietnam war.  This is just something else.  I'll survive or I won't. 

The age-adjusted death rate in the U.S. for all causes of death hovers around 0.4%. The death and recovery rates related to COVID are updated when the page updates. https://ncov2019.live/data

You forgot the Hong Kong flu pandemic, AIDS, Hep C, etc, etc.

Due to COVID, so far, we have seen fewer than half the annual deaths due to alcoholic liver disease. And remember, the deaths being attributed to COVID will later need to be filtered for co-morbidity factors. Still fewer than due to assault with firearms for individuals between 15 and 44.

I'm interested in seeing the comorbidity data. We don't do a very good job of honestly and openly discussing the actual causes of death in our society.

"CDC researchers found that more than 70% of those who had COVID-19 and at least one underlying condition went to intensive care units (ICUs) or regular hospital rooms." https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200402/diabetes-and-other-conditions-raise-covid-19-risk

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1