College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

22 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Good post Duke.  Doing the math, mortality rate is about 0.03%.  We DO know all the deaths, we DO NOT know all who actually do have the virus.  We just know confirmed cases.  So percentage is probably lower.

I have survived swine flu, sars, west nile, ebola, measles, small pox, aids, malaria, desentary (sp?), and the Vietnam war.  This is just something else.  I'll survive or I won't. 

So you think the mortality rate for cancer is 1.8%?

Edited by Irieguy
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Based on what?

Your math. You took US population of approximately 300M and divided by COVID deaths. So I did the same for Cancer(60 times as many deaths as COVID). So is your math wrong or does Cancer not have a 1.8% mortality rate?

Edited by Irieguy
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

take this shit to the CV cloakroom thread.. I'm sure Tonedeafs math would be much appreciated there..  Not you Randolph.. CR is already bad enough

No. An accurate mortality rate is essential to estimate the odds of a football season happening. Maybe tone deaf has an explanation. 

Edited by Irieguy

We DO know all the deaths

I'm not going to totally derail this thread since it's supposed to be about football, but this is flat wrong. It's not the level of undercount as the number of cases, but there are suspected deaths going undocumented.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Your math. You took US population of approximately 300M and divided by COVID deaths. So I did the same for Cancer(60 times as many deaths as COVID). So is your math wrong or does Cancer not have a 1.8% mortality rate?

No.  I took the deaths and divided it into the CONFIRMED cases.  According to your math, the entire population has cancer.  I do not.  I do not have coronavirus so I won't be included in any statistic.  How many will actually have the virus, not be diagnosed, and recover?  We will only know the actual deaths, not the actual number of people that have the virus.  

it’s not me goofball, doctors are literally saying this. Coumo said this in his press conference this morning 

They're saying it for certain locations and with the qualifier that it's directly tied to distancing measures being effective. What exactly do you think happens if you just turn everyone lose and let 150k people tailgate all day?

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I'm not going to totally derail this thread since it's supposed to be about football, but this is flat wrong. It's not the level of undercount as the number of cases, but there are suspected deaths going undocumented.

Normally that would be correct. But in this case it wouldn't surprise me if everything is considered to be connected to the virus.  Politics being what they are. 

2 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

Good post Duke.  Doing the math, mortality rate is about 0.03%.  We DO know all the deaths, we DO NOT know all who actually do have the virus.  We just know confirmed cases.  So percentage is probably lower.

1 hour ago, tonedeaf said:

No.  I took the deaths and divided it into the CONFIRMED cases.  According to your math, the entire population has cancer.  I do not.  I do not have coronavirus so I won't be included in any statistic.  How many will actually have the virus, not be diagnosed, and recover?  We will only know the actual deaths, not the actual number of people that have the virus.  

Just to clarify ... I think you mean you divided the number of deaths by the number of confirmed cases, not into.  Even then, though, the resulting rate is about 3%, not 0.03%. Big difference.

11018 / 369069 = 0.02985...

...or about 3%.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

football season is happening.  on time.  this is such a dumb thread. 

It may well happen but without fans.  Way too much liability for the schools having tens of thousands of congregated together with the virus still spreading.  

• Fuck You 1

Normally that would be correct. But in this case it wouldn't surprise me if everything is considered to be connected to the virus.  Politics being what they are. 

I'm not biting on your trying to inject politics. It's well documented that the resources haven't been in place to get an accurate death count and that the number is higher. The debatable bit is to what degree.

5 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

If we're still shutdown in August, football will be the last thing on our minds.  We'll be in soup lines.

We won't be (unless we can hit by a 2nd wave that overwhelms hospitals again).  But I'd expect that crowd restrictions will stay in place for some time.  At least until antibody testing and effective treatments can be sorted out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Just to clarify ... I think you mean you divided the number of deaths by the number of confirmed cases, not into.  Even then, though, the resulting rate is about 3%, not 0.03%. Big difference.

...or about 3%.

Yes. Tonedeaf can’t even do basic math. @tonedeaf maybe sit this one out if you can’t do basic division. 

I'm the least religious guy on this board, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make sure we have football this year. I'm ready to go Old Testament here. I'll sleep with as many of your wives/girlfriends/daughters/sisters as it takes. Am I on the right track here? I'm not what you would call "Biblically Literate."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, aggie08 said:

We won't be (unless we can hit by a 2nd wave that overwhelms hospitals again).  But I'd expect that crowd restrictions will stay in place for some time.  At least until antibody testing and effective treatments can be sorted out.

This.  There's a huge difference between all of us returning to some normalcy as we figure out who's had it and just saying fuck it and opening 100,000 seat stadiums.  The economy will return before mass gatherings.

4 hours ago, wood said:

...or about 3%.

You are correct.  My bad. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Irieguy said:

Yes. Tonedeaf can’t even do basic math. @tonedeaf maybe sit this one out if you can’t do basic division. 

I got it backwards.  Better than you though. You used the entire population .  

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I can't wait until he tries to figure out why 10 is only 1.0% of 10.

Yep.  Got it backwards.  Better than using the entire population to figure the mortality rate for cancer.  All he figured out was the percentage of the population that dies of cancer. 

• Fuck You 2

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

You mean like that tiger dude huh

7 hours ago, Lat22 said:

If we're still shutdown in August, football will be the last thing on our minds.  We'll be in soup lines.

I'm ok with soup in the winter but August, meh, that's a bit early.

On 4/7/2020 at 2:39 PM, 4th&Five said:

Looks like Mike Gundy is just as clueless as some of the posters here. 
EVBrcWlXYAEM569?format=png&name=medium

Doesn't the data overwhelmingly support his position?  Since when does using the data that we have collected mean someone is clueless? 

15 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

We've been looking for a vaccine for 2-3 months at the most. The experts say it takes around 18 months to have one tested & ready. How can a football season start before then? 

I don't really think we should start it back up at all. There are potentially many diseases out there that are highly communicable and without a vaccine. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent