College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

11 hours ago, Blotto said:

In latest @Stadium poll of all 130 FBS ADs, 99% of ADs believe  are desperately praying we will have college football season this year.

There will be college football this season.. the only question is wether it’s fall or spring.

There will be college football this season.. the only question is wether it’s fall or spring.
If they have to wait until October 31 start date they will. It will happen. And no they won't go straight conference games. It will still have baylor and aggy battling it out for the funniest 3 HS teams for their payday.

34 minutes ago, markstanco said:
57 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

If they have to wait until October 31 start date they will. It will happen. And no they won't go straight conference games. It will still have baylor and aggy battling it out for the funniest 3 HS teams for their payday.

I subscribe to this 

The presidents' at both Arizona & Connecticut think fall football may not happen:

Arizona president says fall football increasingly unlikely, more answers needed

5:57 AM CT
Mark SchlabachESPN Senior Writer

University of Arizona president Dr. Robert Robbins said Wednesday that he does not anticipate the Wildcats playing football this fall, even though the university plans to bring students and faculty back to campus for face-to-face instruction during the fall semester.

In an interview with KVOI-AM in Tucson, Arizona, Robbins said he is worried about intercollegiate sports getting back to normal after the coronavirus pandemic.

"I'm really concerned about whether we're going to be playing football in the fall," Robbins told the radio station. "My sense, right now, I just don't see that happening."

If the Wildcats do play this fall, Robbins said he anticipates at least a delay to the start of the season. Arizona is scheduled to kick off the 2020 season against Hawaii at home on Aug. 29.

"We're waiting to see what the NCAA does, what the Pac-12 does," Robbins said. "As much as I want it, you know, it just seems as though if we do play any football in the fall, it's going to be delayed because I've heard nothing and we're headed to May 1. My hope is we're going to get some clarity on this very soon, but it seems unlikely to me. I'd love to see it happen, but we're waiting every day to get some guidance."

Robbins said the scenario he is hearing the most is that fall and winter sports, including men's and women's basketball, would all be played in 2021.

"What I've been hearing more of is that maybe doing something combining both basketball and football for the spring, so January-February 2021, and try to play both of them," Robbins said. "There will be all kind of implications for television viewing and confusion. I don't know. We just don't have any answers right now."

Robbins' comments echoed those of University of Connecticut president Tom Katsouleas, who told students in a UConn journalism class teleconference Tuesday that the "current thinking is that likely fall sports will be canceled -- with the exception of those that can be played at a safe distance."

UConn athletics officials walked back Katsouleas' comments, saying in a statement, "At this point in time, there have been no decisions made to cancel fall sports at UConn. That action would be premature and we will continue to work with our state and local officials, as well as our conference and the NCAA on such matters."

Katsouleas later clarified his comments.

"I did, however, say that the current thinking is that it's likely that fall sports will be canceled," Katsouleas said. "This was not based on any inside knowledge or discussions on the subject and was nothing more than speculation. No decisions have been made about fall sports and when they are made, we will look to the NCAA and our conference to take the lead on those choices."

Robbins conceded that his opinions about delaying fall sports or pushing them back to the spring were his "personal reading of the tea leaves."

"It's going to be very difficult to start the [football] schedule as it currently exists," Robbins said.

36 minutes ago, Underdog said:

UConn FB is just a distraction until women's basketball starts. 

Don't quote me on this, but I think I read UCONN football actually loses more money than the WBB program.  

17 hours ago, wood said:

Austin: Sporting events, festivals could remain a year away, health authority says

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200422/coronavirus-in-austin-sporting-events-festivals-could-remain-year-away-health-authority-says

Health authorities are not going to get the final say on the economy and every day forever. That's the reality of the situation. You can argue if that is right or not but public policy will shift to balance risk. In fact, that's already happening. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Health authorities are not going to get the final say on the economy and every day forever. That's the reality of the situation. You can argue if that is right or not but public policy will shift to balance risk. In fact, that's already happening. 

There's no fucking way the insurance market is going to take on the risk if the health authorities are still recommending social distancing. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Of course health authorities are not going to get final say.

But they should be the first, last and every voice in between the decision makers listen to.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That's like saying that military leaders should be the first, last, and every voice in between the decision makers listen to with regard to the use of military force.  There are other factors to consider besides medical ones.  Sometimes maybe you do have to listen to Spock.

Seems like that works in 3/4 of the episodes.

19 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That's like saying that military leaders should be the first, last, and every voice in between the decision makers listen to with regard to the use of military force.  There are other factors to consider besides medical ones.  Sometimes maybe you do have to listen to Spock.

Right.  Like a strike force filled with business owners. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

They'll probably have the final say when it comes to decisions made by the administration at the University of Texas.

Just a hunch.

55 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They'll probably have the final say when it comes to decisions made by the administration at the University of Texas.

Just a hunch.

They won't have the final say in all matters. That is why we have an administration. Their input obviously matters a lot but its not going to be the only factor anymore going forward. If a health's official only policy response is "cancel everything until further notice" it's going to be harder and harder to follow that advice the longer this goes. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

But they should be the first, last and every voice in between the decision makers listen to.  

Policy makers answer first and foremost to voters. This is a Democracy. If people are more willing to accept personal risk of illness over time in the face of total disruption to every day life, my guess is the policy shifts. 

If games can be held safely without fans it is going to be very difficult to cancel those games without a really good justification. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Right, because the health authorities are infallible, irrefutable, and we should never question them. 

JFC.

• Like 3

There’s too much money involved to not have it and has said before, college football is the backbone to most program budgets.

And no I’m not in favor of killing grandma just so I get football

I think a large chunk of the population will be immune to it by then, if there is such thing

I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see a 6 week delay

18 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

99% of FBS ADs think we'll have football this fall; about 75% think it will be delayed: https://watchstadium.com/99-percent-of-fbs-ads-believe-well-have-college-football-this-season-04-21-2020/

So those are two things that seem likely.

This is a lot like business owners saying we should re-open the economy.

ADs know how the athletics bread is buttered.  University presidents and system chancellors have different priorities (except in the SEC, where academics are just a farce to ensure public money for their semi-pro teams). 

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Totally agree.  We'll open things up...but even the economy people will realize large crowds make no sense.  If you can play w no crowds and televise I think that's a big win...

In my opinion there's a good chance the virus slows a lot and then flares up in the fall - so better to get entire season in next Spring, with crowds ideally. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

In all honesty, the universities need to look at improving the stadiums and decreasing capacity anyway.  Things were trending that way already.  Can't you agree to a limited seating of some sort for this season and start looking at ways to improve the experience by providing better seating and amenities?

And if the haves get permanently separated from the have nots as a result of this thing I will count it as one of the silver linings.  

I can’t even phantom how spring CFB would work.

-What happens with the NFL Draft, pro days, OTAs, etc?  Is the NFL drafting college players while they’re still playing?

-When does NSD occur?  Are coaches recruiting during the season? 

-What in the world do you do with the spring sports?  Attendance at the Erwin Center on Saturdays would go from hundreds to dozens.

-Does Spring practice get pushed back to summer practice?  If so, that’s essentially back-to-back seasons with almost zero rest in between   

-Any player with a moderate or major injury likely misses the next season in its entirety since there would only be 2-3 months before the end of the season and the Fall ‘21.

I can think of countless more questions but that’s just the start.  And don’t get me wrong, I’ll take college football in any shape or form, but there are A LOT of major issues to work through.  

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

What in the world do you do with the spring sports?  Attendance at the Erwin Center on Saturdays would go from hundreds to dozens

Probably the opposite if scheduled correctly.  Put bball at noon for night fball games or opposite.  100k people already on campus, surely 15k will stick around.   Unless the team is shit.

• Like 1

I can’t even phantom how spring CFB would work.

-What happens with the NFL Draft, pro days, OTAs, etc?  Is the NFL drafting college players while they’re still playing?

-When does NSD occur?  Are coaches recruiting during the season? 

-What in the world do you do with the spring sports?  Attendance at the Erwin Center on Saturdays would go from hundreds to dozens.

-Does Spring practice get pushed back to summer practice?  If so, that’s essentially back-to-back seasons with almost zero rest in between   

-Any player with a moderate or major injury likely misses the next season in its entirety since there would only be 2-3 months before the end of the season and the Fall ‘21.

I can think of countless more questions but that’s just the start.  And don’t get me wrong, I’ll take college football in any shape or form, but there are A LOT of major issues to work through.  

Calm your tits. Everything gets moved back. Maybe move fall camp up a few weeks and skip spring ball all together assuming 2021 season is normal

I am not a doctor or Nostradamus, but I would bet that if the number of new Covid19 cases and hospitalizations are way down by the 4th of July, we are going to see football at all levels in the fall.  Crowds may be smaller, but television will be booming.  This virtual NFL draft  shows how much the public wants "live" sports of any kind.  

2 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Playing football in the spring is better than nothing but it will seriously cannibalize attendance at the other sports if you are also running mens/womens basketball, baseball, etc... There's only so much time and money to go around. Cramming all that shit into the same period, when a good portion of the country will be licking their financial wounds....bleak from a revenue perspective. 

Every day I get more bullish about fall football & fans to some degree.  

Campuses will start announcing one by one & day by day they are full on in the fall. We all know how fucked the aggy AD would be & that the state will have to bail out the school, but the town would be flattened.

Fuck the crazy aggy talk about integrity etc..   if anyone thinks they aren’t going to turn on the 16 that have died in that county you are out of your mind.

aggy is as aggy does, but they are in the top tier of colleges in this country financially.   There are a lot of schools in worse positions.

7 hours ago, ousux said:
On 4/13/2020 at 7:25 PM, The Marsellus Wallace said:
John Sharp says not to worry, the aggys are on it.

So..we'll be able to shoot up with inactive rona in about 80 years? Or have we already missed the aggy cure, I'm confused

...but we won't die. We'll just run outta time.

We expect to announce the university’s plans for the fall semester by the end of June. This timing will enable faculty to prepare their classes and curriculums so that they can deliver the extraordinary educational experiences UT is known for. It will also provide time for our dedicated staff members to reopen the facilities, integrate new learning technologies and prepare to implement new health-conscious practices and policies. In late June, we will have more information about the state of the COVID-19 crisis, and a strategy to help students plan for the fall semester will be in place.

As I said in a previous post, deciding in April is a touch premature.

Edited by 927 E. 41st
Added comment.

2 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

We expect to announce the university’s plans for the fall semester by the end of June. This timing will enable faculty to prepare their classes and curriculums so that they can deliver the extraordinary educational experiences UT is known for. It will also provide time for our dedicated staff members to reopen the facilities, integrate new learning technologies and prepare to implement new health-conscious practices and policies. In late June, we will have more information about the state of the COVID-19 crisis, and a strategy to help students plan for the fall semester will be in place.

yeah, take your time guys, no rush