College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, Bob Lives! said:

Proving causation is going to be next to impossible in these lawsuits.  I know one was filed against Walmart in Illinois in April, but I'll bet you posting privileges for a year that it gets dismissed.   And I'll bet that dismissal gets a fraction of the press and the original filing got.  The insurance industry will use your fear of lawyers to further suppress your own rights and further insulate themselves from risk.  This isn't really about coronavirus.  

You don't have to prove anything if you settle.

JFC. Do you not think a few players will opt out of playing during a pandemic? Maybe a few don’t want to go 4 months without seeing their families just so Newy can get his football fix on Saturday. If a guy is third string at San Jose State maybe he doesn’t want to take the chance. Does he lose his scholarship? 

• Like 5

maybe...

Florida State offensive lineman Andrew Boselli, the son of former Jacksonville Jaguars lineman Tony Boselli, revealed Friday that he also tested positive for the coronavirus, which landed his father in intensive care in late March.

Andrew wrote a first-person account on the Seminoles’ athletics website, saying he initially scoffed at the possibility of contracting the virus until he was tested on March 21 – soon after his parents and a brother all tested positive.

The 22-year-old college junior said the next day he “woke up feeling like (he’d) been hit by a bus,” while experiencing shortness of breath and temperatures as high as 103 degrees.

“I, like most, saw the studies that said it was primarily a danger to the elderly and figured it wouldn’t have much impact on me, my family or friends,” Andrew wrote. “I even had plans to spend Spring Break on a cruise to the Bahamas.

“The last few weeks, though, have shown just how wrong I was, and just how seriously we all need to treat this outbreak.”

• Like 6

Proving causation is going to be next to impossible in these lawsuits.  I know one was filed against Walmart in Illinois in April, but I'll bet you posting privileges for a year that it gets dismissed.   And I'll bet that dismissal gets a fraction of the press and the original filing got.  The insurance industry will use your fear of lawyers to further suppress your own rights and further insulate themselves from risk.  This isn't really about coronavirus.  

See thats a problem. In a comprehensive testing and tracing program, that is used to safely open up the economy, you should be able to see how and when outbreaks started.

So if 40,000 people get it from a sporting event, it would be easily traceable to that event.
  • Like 1

JFC. Do you not think a few players will opt out of playing during a pandemic? Maybe a few don’t want to go 4 months without seeing their families just so Newy can get his football fix on Saturday. If a guy is third string at San Jose State maybe he doesn’t want to take the chance. Does he lose his scholarship? 

That would be their choice...

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Instead of crafting public policy based on information and facts we should be motivated by anecdotes and outliers? 

• 96% of all people hospitalized were in the at risk category
  • 99% of all people who have died had at least 1 risk factor
  • 75.6 is the average age of COVID deaths

So we should not allow 18-22 year olds who represent the top 1% of all fitness and athleticism choose if they want to participate in sports? Does that seem reasonable? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Instead of crafting public policy based on information and facts we should be motivated by anecdotes and outliers? 

So we should not allow 18-22 year olds who represent the top 1% of all fitness and athleticism choose if they want to participate in sports? Does that seem reasonable? 

Probably half a football team's roster technically qualify as "obese" per the CDC BMI calculator, i.e. they have at least 1 risk factor.   Probably 20% of a roster actually is obese based on common sense.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

• Like 1

Just now, Newy25 said:

bullshit. and you still haven't addressed how to handle coaches, players fams. and support staff. 

Edited by 4th&Five

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Probably half a football team's roster technically qualify as "obese" per the CDC BMI calculator, i.e. they have at least 1 risk factor.   Probably 20% of a roster actually is obese based on common sense.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

This is one area that is fair to discuss. Sadly, we seem to lose a few offensive linemen far too often to heat stroke when we uncover some underlying, undetected heart disease after the tragedy. If there is work to be done on COVID, its certainly around the big guys. 

Bowlsby already dangled the "on-line classes count as campus being open" rationale. But one can see the CA hierarchy not going for that bullshit. Many states are gonna have to prepare multiple strategies and talking points based on how their virus numbers look as summer begins.

Gonna be messy, or at least we should hope it is...the alternative is the virus steps up and makes folly of all these plans :( 

2 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

There are some folks out there, like newy, who want what they want, and are willing to impose whatever risk they deem acceptable on others to get it.  Those athletes, coaches, and staff gave up their right to assess the risks for themselves when they went into an entertainment industry.  Just like a grocery store stocker or cashier should just quit their job if they don't like folks not wearing masks and getting close to them.  It's just the cost of doing business, and if you don't agree, just stay home.  It's not that hard to understand. 

Emphasis on the bold. This is exactly right. It’s a real crisis, until my personal entertainment is at risk. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

What happens if some players don’t feel safe playing during this? Do the lose their scholarship?

I think football, especially college, gets delayed, maybe Dec/Jan-Mar/April season. that said, itll be a different world by Aug, and definitely a different world by Dec in terms of where we are as a nation in this fight.

But Covid vs the other risks football players take on every play is a no brainer. being paralyzed, or shredding your knee vs Covid? 

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I think football, especially college, gets delayed, maybe Dec/Jan-Mar/April season. that said, itll be a different world by Aug, and definitely a different world by Dec in terms of where we are as a nation in this fight.

But Covid vs the other risks football players take on every play is a no brainer. being paralyzed, or shredding your knee vs Covid? 

How many D1 players have been paralyzed the last decade?  And shredding your knee is a picnic compared to a morbidly obese 350 lb lineman trying to fight C19.  Trust me, those guys, even at a young age are quite susceptible to suffering serious consequences if they get C19.  I'd say the risk is astronomically greater than getting paralyzed as far as chances of 'getting it'.  Maybe the same as blowing out a knee - and your odds of dying are MUCH higher than a knee injury.  Remember if 'only' 2-3 players die this will be considered an unmitigated disaster.  

• Like 2

Even using Newy's stats, that's like telling a team in September, "Ok, four of you are going to be hospitalized with COVID this season. And one of you is going to die from it. TEAM ON 3! 1-2-3..."

But he's not exactly wrong, that is the world we all will be living in. If the precautions can be made sound enough, organized sports can outperform the numbers.The trouble is, our whole country has to navigate the minefield just to get to that point, and we aren't exactly on the same page on how to do that at the moment.

• Like 2

How many D1 players have been paralyzed the last decade?  And shredding your knee is a picnic compared to a morbidly obese 350 lb lineman trying to fight C19.  Trust me, those guys, even at a young age are quite susceptible to suffering serious consequences if they get C19.  I'd say the risk is astronomically greater than getting paralyzed as far as chances of 'getting it'.  Maybe the same as blowing out a knee - and your odds of dying are MUCH higher than a knee injury.  Remember if 'only' 2-3 players die this will be considered an unmitigated disaster.  

Yeah. True.

22 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Even using Newy's stats, that's like telling a team in September, "Ok, four of you are going to be hospitalized with COVID this season. And one of you is going to die from it. TEAM ON 3! 1-2-3..."

But he's not exactly wrong, that is the world we all will be living in. If the precautions can be made sound enough, organized sports can outperform the numbers.The trouble is, our whole country has to navigate the minefield just to get to that point, and we aren't exactly on the same page on how to do that at the moment.

Agree.  That’s why I see the NFL having a much better chance to play.  

edit: taking that risk making millions is a different story 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

58 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Hell Manziel was an online only student and he played.

On an ESPN show leading up to Heisman ceremony, Burrow said he took 1 class, on-line this past fall.  He and his dad studied film and worked out full time, never once stepping onto campus, other than the LSU fieldhouse.

• Like 2

Today marks the 60th day that we have been self isolating in Los Angeles. And just a few hours ago, the un-elected LA county health official Barbara Ferrer decided to toss out that we'd be under the shelter order for 3 more months. Besides the fact that she is offering contradictory information that has inflamed many people today (beaches are opening tomorrow, some restrictions already being lifted), I figured there was very little chance that the PAC would play this season. The PAC will likely lean on the "can't return to normal until we have effective treatment or a vaccine" narrative. It is seeming more like there will only be a few select conferences willing to play, starting with the SEC. And I expect this whole thing will get very ugly very soon. 

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

ChiTownDoc 65

Newy 13

• Like 2

Cowherd tweeted that the Bama vs USC game at ATT Stadium looks doubtful.  

Told by two people I trust — USC v Alabama isn’t happening. Trojans can’t even practice in LA potentially for several months. This is why Bama already talking to other possible opponents. Not official but understood. Feeling now that Pac 12 football in spring — much more likely.

Edited by BevoSwag

Told by two people I trust — USC v Alabama isn’t happening. Trojans can’t even practice in LA potentially for several months. This is why Bama already talking to other possible opponents. Not official but understood. Feeling now that Pac 12 football in spring — much more likely.

Can’t wait for Utah Vs USC in the faux national championship

2 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Today marks the 60th day that we have been self isolating in Los Angeles. And just a few hours ago, the un-elected LA county health official Barbara Ferrer decided to toss out that we'd be under the shelter order for 3 more months. Besides the fact that she is offering contradictory information that has inflamed many people today (beaches are opening tomorrow, some restrictions already being lifted), I figured there was very little chance that the PAC would play this season. The PAC will likely lean on the "can't return to normal until we have effective treatment or a vaccine" narrative. It is seeming more like there will only be a few select conferences willing to play, starting with the SEC. And I expect this whole thing will get very ugly very soon. 

The virus isn't going away.  At this point, hiding is only delaying the inevitable.  Vaccines for corona viruses are a tall order.  They mutate quickly so a vaccine stands to be one step behind.  I imagine that football will be the SEC and the B12 mainly.  Look out GoR agreements...  I bet that refusal to play breaks them.  This is the perfect opportunity to jump ship.

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 2

On twitter today alabama vs tcu was a topic.

9 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Dammit, I gave your post a like on accident. In reality, this argument is dumb. The virus has fucked up some 18-22 year olds already, as ChiTown has stated. But the main reason to be cautious is so that they won't spread the virus to others.

8 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Dammit, I gave your post a like on accident. In reality, this argument is dumb. The virus has fucked up some 18-22 year olds already, as ChiTown has stated. But the main reason to be cautious is so that they won't spread the virus to others.

CTE has fucked up, and will continue to fuck up a lot of people who play football.  Probably more than COVID-19.  Why are we ok with that, but not about the possible exposure to COVID-19, which will realistically affect fewer of the participants at such a level?  I'm not saying we should value football over human life, but we have already been exposed to (and presumably made peace with) the idea that playing football at a high level is likely to have severe negative consequences on the participants.  Obviously CTE isn't contagious to non-participants the way COVID is, and that's why I'd suggest the following guidelines for playing football in the fall:

-No fans at the games

-Any player who isn't comfortable playing, can sit without burning a redshirt year.

-If a school wants to deny a player a scholarship for sitting due to COVID-19, that player can transfer without penalty.  Period.  This puts the onus on schools to not be shitty to the players, and if School A decides they're going to pull schollies, it's a huge opportunity for School B to cash in on the immediate transfer market.

-Players are tested regularly (several times a week if not daily), and any player who tests positive is immediately quarantined.

-If teams have too many quarantined players to field a squad, they forfeit that game  If a squad has an outbreak, they'd probably miss two games, as it would likely happen quickly.

-Teams quarantine during the season, at a similar level to what most people have already been doing - IE going to work, doing their essential shopping, and avoiding large social gatherings.

-If a school doesn't play, and they have players who want to play, those players are allowed to transfer immediately without penalty.

I think this would work.  At the end of the day everyone is trying to balance the need to generate revenue and do what you do without putting the general health of the public at unnecessary risk.  I think a structured plan like this would balance those goals effectively.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

9 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

The virus isn't going away.  At this point, hiding is only delaying the inevitable.  Vaccines for corona viruses are a tall order.  They mutate quickly so a vaccine stands to be one step behind.  I imagine that football will be the SEC and the B12 mainly.  Look out GoR agreements...  I bet that refusal to play breaks them.  This is the perfect opportunity to jump ship.

I think you're on to something here, in that the COVID response will greatly affect the landscape of college football, and that the Big 12 and SEC are going to be the only leagues where every school plays.  I think the Big 10 will mostly play as well.  I don't see anyone west of the Appalachians save for Northwestern bowing out.  I think about half the ACC will play as well.  Or at least want to.

I think the serious football schools in the Pac 12 and ACC are going to want out and will look to the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10.  At this point, I don't think there's much of a point with continuing to have high level college football in large coastal cities - especially on the west coast.  The South and the Midwest/Great Plains are where people care about the sport.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think you're on to something here, in that the COVID response will greatly affect the landscape of college football, and that the Big 12 and SEC are going to be the only leagues where every school plays.  I think the Big 10 will mostly play as well.  I don't see anyone west of the Appalachians save for Northwestern bowing out.  I think about half the ACC will play as well.  Or at least want to.

I think the serious football schools in the Pac 12 and ACC are going to want out and will look to the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10.  At this point, I don't think there's much of a point with continuing to have high level college football in large coastal cities - especially on the west coast.  The South and the Midwest/Great Plains are where people care about the sport.

SC is still the prize out west.  Think the two schools in AZ also have a high, high ceiling in the future (especially ASU)