College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 minutes ago, nnm said:

What does the transfer portal look like if the P12 schools don’t play this year but SECX3 and B12 do?

Fucking insanity.  And it will lead to a concentration of talent that will create a clear divide among the current P5.

This is probably all going to be the death knell of the Pac 12 being a major conference.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Fucking insanity.  And it will lead to a concentration of talent that will create a clear divide among the current P5.

This is probably all going to be the death knell of the Pac 12 being a major conference.

Yep.. AZ feels like a shoe in to sign up for the Big 12.  AZ gov is ready for sports to take place (with guidelines of course).

The Pac 12 is already the caboose in the P5 pecking order when it comes to national relevance and money. If they don't play college football whenever the 2020 season starts, that conference will break up. I can't see how the Arizona schools and USC would want to stick around. If Cal, Stanford, and UCLA want to step back and form a West Coast Ivy League that is fine and dandy but they will no longer be viewed on the same playing field when it comes to sports (other than Olympic) like the big boys in the B1G, XII, SEC and Clemson. As Texas fans, we should hope that the Pac 12 doesn't play. The prospects of us playing in an improved XII with a paring of schools who are not willing to make the commitment to play at a high level will get us closer to the holy grail of a new 64 team Champions League level of CFB.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

There are more signs that football seasons out West may be in peril. The Cal State system, the largest public college system in the country, announced yesterday that it is moving it’s classes online this fall. To be clear, this is not the same as the UC system, which includes UCLA and Cal. Instead, Cal State is the system that includes baseball power Cal State-Fullerton.

However, it could portend what is to come of UCLA and Cal, and therefore much of the Pac-12. It’s hard to see how one state system might move in an opposite direction, especially when the UC system is historically considered much more deliberate than the Cal State one. This news comes on top of NCAA president Mark Emmert stating that all conferences would have to have students on campus for sports competitions to occur.

Yet there is even doubt in that statement. Emmert’s comment is in direct opposition to that of Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby who has stated that online classes would suffice. So here are some things to think about.

1. The NCAA and its member schools need to get on the same page. Is Emmert speaking for them all, or are in the individual conference commissioners, or even the individual schools? The mixed messages do nothing but confuse us all. For the time being, I would tell you that I think the conference commissioners are more likely to be on top of the news and represent their constituency rather than the head of a disparate group like the NCAA. It’s almost akin to governors having more direct impact than the executive branch of the federal government at this point.

2. If there is no football out West, what other regions might be affected? The Big 10 seems plausible. After all, New Jersey, Maryland, Michigan and Ohio are all being hit hard as of now. And some areas of the ACC are, too, like Boston College and Syracuse. Of course, we don’t know what those regions will look like 90 days from now, but my guess is the impact of the pandemic on their areas will influence the decisions whether or not to play this fall. If Detroit is in lock down, how would Ann Arbor, which is ~45 minutes away, even contemplate playing this season?

3. That leads me to the topic of “fans in the stands”. We don’t know what it all might look like, but unless or until there are better, more complete therapeutics (not even a vaccine) for the virus, I can’t foresee a way for the stands to be even half full.

4. What happens when a teammate, inevitably, comes down with the virus? Is the whole team quarantined for 14 days? I fear that it’s possible that we get to a gameday and the game is simply not played, much like what happened at the Big 12 basketball tournament, because of a positive test.

One thing is clear about all of this: There are more questions than answers right now. But I would put one thing out there as kind of a lynchpin for this whole thing. If the doctors and researchers can come up with therapeutics that work, then many of the confounding issues are moot. Until then, the NCAA, the conferences and the schools need to get on the same page about who we should listen to. Otherwise it’s just more unnecessary noise in a time that is already too noisy.

As is often pointed out, all the NCAA does is administer championships and oversee rules as determined by the member schools and conferences.

With the Pac-12, would it be much different than when UAB sat out a couple years? There would still be decent appeal to revive those programs in 2021 and beyond. They have the financial and political clout to get an auto bid to the expanded playoff whenever it happens.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

CTE has fucked up, and will continue to fuck up a lot of people who play football.  Probably more than COVID-19.  Why are we ok with that, but not about the possible exposure to COVID-19, which will realistically affect fewer of the participants at such a level?  I'm not saying we should value football over human life, but we have already been exposed to (and presumably made peace with) the idea that playing football at a high level is likely to have severe negative consequences on the participants.  Obviously CTE isn't contagious to non-participants the way COVID is, and that's why I'd suggest the following guidelines for playing football in the fall:

-No fans at the games

-Any player who isn't comfortable playing, can sit without burning a redshirt year.

-If a school wants to deny a player a scholarship for sitting due to COVID-19, that player can transfer without penalty.  Period.  This puts the onus on schools to not be shitty to the players, and if School A decides they're going to pull schollies, it's a huge opportunity for School B to cash in on the immediate transfer market.

-Players are tested regularly (several times a week if not daily), and any player who tests positive is immediately quarantined.

-If teams have too many quarantined players to field a squad, they forfeit that game  If a squad has an outbreak, they'd probably miss two games, as it would likely happen quickly.

-Teams quarantine during the season, at a similar level to what most people have already been doing - IE going to work, doing their essential shopping, and avoiding large social gatherings.

-If a school doesn't play, and they have players who want to play, those players are allowed to transfer immediately without penalty.

I think this would work.  At the end of the day everyone is trying to balance the need to generate revenue and do what you do without putting the general health of the public at unnecessary risk.  I think a structured plan like this would balance those goals effectively.

CTE isn't contagious.

For me, it's not just about the people who would need to be at the stadium to hold a behind-closed-doors game, or hundreds of them. It's about all those people getting together and then going back home to their families, going to work, etc. 

CTE isn't contagious.
For me, it's not just about the people who would need to be at the stadium to hold a behind-closed-doors game, or hundreds of them. It's about all those people getting together and then going back home to their families, going to work, etc. 

Without fans, the need for those folks decreases and their odds of having to work in close quarters with others is decreased as well. It’s much easier for refs and video crews to maintain distance without hundreds of thousands of other people milling about.

I noted CTE isn’t contagious, BTW

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This is going to be a cluster fuck if the NCAA doesn't step up and take a leadership role.  So I'm expecting it to be a cluster fuck leading to the demise of the NCAA.

That would be by far the best thing to come from the corona virus, but I’m not optimistic about it.

The California and Oregon schools are in a rough spot. Both of their state leaders have made it pretty damn clear football in the fall won’t be happening. The question then is can they get the rest of the P5 and maybe entire NCAA on board with waiting til spring? You have to think the SEC would say no and proceed with football in the fall so they can benefit from the money, recruiting, and transfer windfalls that would result. Like you said, the NCAA is the only one who could bring some uniformity to this. 

So yeah, this thing is absolutely looking like it will be a cluster fuck. The one thing that could stop it would be a huge second wave in July or August that leads to everyone, including the SEC, having to cancel football in the fall. But even then, we might be right back at this spot in the spring with SEC schools wanting to play and the PAC-12 still not able to based on state law. 

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Teams quarantine during the season, at a similar level to what most people have already been doing - IE going to work, doing their essential shopping, and avoiding large social gatherings.

Impossible to do/monitor while being a college student.  Dorms, cafeterias, classrooms, student unions, restaurants, bars, fucking chicks, etc.  Even trying to quarantine, they would likely be exposed.  But they aren't going to try.  No way college football players are going to go sit in their dorm rooms for hours a day all season.  

21 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Newy, you sound like a sociopath. 

More emotional and personal arguments. My opinions, formed from the information are invalid because they contradict your belief system. Notice how you or anyone else will not bring anything other than hysterical scenarios when discussing this? 

I’m a sociopath for wanting to let healthy, young athletes choose to play sports? And for those who want to take away that choice, leaving many sports programs to close and deprive many without scholarships what does that make you? Do you think you are some sort of white knight by supporting a position that will likely lead to a very large percentage of student athletes without scholarships ultimately?  Let’s have an honest discussion about the risks, how to mitigate those risks and what the consequences to all student athletes will be if we cancel football. No more tweets, personal anecdotes, outliers but actual discussion based in the facts that people can make informed decisions on.

8 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Impossible to do/monitor while being a college student.  Dorms, cafeterias, classrooms, student unions, restaurants, bars, fucking chicks, etc.  Even trying to quarantine, they would likely be exposed.  But they aren't going to try.  No way college football players are going to go sit in their dorm rooms for hours a day all season.  

You're probably right.  I'm just laying out a logical path to having college football.

From a personal entertainment stand point, I'll be ok without it.  I've already had to make peace with the idea of college football being taken away from me by forces beyond my control, during the Big 12 missile crisis.  But there are a lot of institutions that will be straight up FUCKED without it, and they're going to do everything they possibly can to at least rake in TV revenues.  People who keep saying there is no way this is going to happen, just aren't being realistic. 

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You're probably right.  I'm just laying out a logical path to having college football.

From a personal entertainment stand point, I'll be ok without it.  I've already had to make peace with the idea of college football being taken away from me by forces beyond my control, during the Big 12 missile crisis.  But there are a lot of institutions that will be straight up FUCKED without it, and they're going to do everything they possibly can to at least rake in TV revenues.  People who keep saying there is no way this is going to happen, just aren't being realistic. 

The comment about the third string San Jose St player being afraid to play and wondering if they would lose their scholarship made be laugh. If there is not football, San Jose St will not have money to give anyone a scholarship anyway. If we cancel the season, there will be thousands of student athletes who will no longer get money for school. Football funds all of these athletic departments. That’s a fact. Without football and it’s revenue,  all of the other sports are at risk of being closed. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

CTE has fucked up, and will continue to fuck up a lot of people who play football.  Probably more than COVID-19.  Why are we ok with that, but not about the possible exposure to COVID-19, which will realistically affect fewer of the participants at such a level?  I'm not saying we should value football over human life, but we have already been exposed to (and presumably made peace with) the idea that playing football at a high level is likely to have severe negative consequences on the participants.  Obviously CTE isn't contagious to non-participants the way COVID is, and that's why I'd suggest the following guidelines for playing football in the fall:

-No fans at the games

-Any player who isn't comfortable playing, can sit without burning a redshirt year.

-If a school wants to deny a player a scholarship for sitting due to COVID-19, that player can transfer without penalty.  Period.  This puts the onus on schools to not be shitty to the players, and if School A decides they're going to pull schollies, it's a huge opportunity for School B to cash in on the immediate transfer market.

-Players are tested regularly (several times a week if not daily), and any player who tests positive is immediately quarantined.

-If teams have too many quarantined players to field a squad, they forfeit that game  If a squad has an outbreak, they'd probably miss two games, as it would likely happen quickly.

-Teams quarantine during the season, at a similar level to what most people have already been doing - IE going to work, doing their essential shopping, and avoiding large social gatherings.

-If a school doesn't play, and they have players who want to play, those players are allowed to transfer immediately without penalty.

I think this would work.  At the end of the day everyone is trying to balance the need to generate revenue and do what you do without putting the general health of the public at unnecessary risk.  I think a structured plan like this would balance those goals effectively.

CTE isn’t highly contagious.  A bunch of fatass coaches can’t catch CTE from the players.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This is going to be a cluster fuck if the NCAA doesn't step up and take a leadership role.  So I'm expecting it to be a cluster fuck leading to the demise of the NCAA.

They’re already like ‘do what you want’.  As long as that includes paying their own fatcat execs for leadership they’re not providing.  

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

CTE isn’t highly contagious.  A bunch of fatass coaches can’t catch CTE from the players.  

What part of "obviously CTE isn't contagious" aren't people reading?

My guess is that the fatass coach is going to be willing to risk COVID in order to collect his paycheck.  If he isn't, than it doesn't matter if there's a season or not.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The comment about the third string San Jose St player being afraid to play and wondering if they would lose their scholarship made be laugh. If there is not football, San Jose St will not have money to give anyone a scholarship anyway. If we cancel the season, there will be thousands of student athletes who will be no longer get money for school. Football funds all of these athletic departments. That’s a fact. Without football and it’s revenue,  all of the other sports are at risk of being closed. 

Yeah and it doesn’t fall on the college football player to fund all those other athletes.  Sorry.  

22 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What part of "obviously CTE isn't contagious" aren't people reading?

My guess is that the fatass coach is going to be willing to risk COVID in order to collect his paycheck.  If he isn't, than it doesn't matter if there's a season or not.

Yeah, sorry, as a medical professional comparing C19 to CTE is moronic so I admittedly didn’t read your entire post.  

edit: Al is a great poster.  Don’t mean anything against him personally.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah and it doesn’t fall on the college football player to fund all those other athletes.  Sorry.  

That’s a fair point. Football has been carrying the financial burden for all sports for years. But it’s still a reality. And not just for smaller revenue sports, if football is not played this fall school like San Jose St will not be able to even fund costs around its own football program.  I assume, or hope Texas could weather the storm of a cancelled season and still play scholarships but I’m willing to bet many programs could not. 

On 5/11/2020 at 3:12 PM, Red Five said:

There will be 100k deaths by the end of next week.

In America we lose what 55k people every month on average and that never stopped college football.

The only stat that matters genuinely is the amount of excess death Covid19 has caused.  That frees up all the endless debates over testing vs not testing. Clearly we have had fewer roadway deaths because of less traffic due to shutdowns but we have also had more people die from other health issues because they were scared to visit the hospital or worse yet told they couldn't.

If the excess death in the USA is say 135,000 people from March to July then we are losing about 27,000 people a month which is nearly 50% above the normal clip.

It is cause for concern, it is cause for taking precautions and being smart. It isn't cause for full tilt absurd panic.

Quarantine the sick make tests affordable and accessible and get the fuck on with life.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That’s a fair point. Football has been carrying the financial burden for all sports for years. But it’s still a reality. And not just for smaller revenue sports, if football is not played this fall school like San Jose St will not be able to even fund costs around its own football program.  I assume, or hope Texas could weather the storm of a cancelled season and still play scholarships but I’m willing to bet many programs could not. 

Texas and about 30 other programs probably need a semipro type of setup anyway.  Maybe this can speed that up.  Pretending like all D1 college football programs are playing at the same level is BS and we all know it.  

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

In America we lose what 55k people every month on average and that never stopped college football.

The only stat that matters genuinely is the amount of excess death Covid19 has caused.  That frees up all the endless debates over testing vs not testing. Clearly we have had fewer roadway deaths because of less traffic due to shutdowns but we have also had more people die from other health issues because they were scared to visit the hospital or worse yet told they couldn't.

If the excess death in the USA is say 135,000 people from March to July then we are losing about 27,000 people a month which is nearly 50% above the normal clip.

It is cause for concern, it is cause for taking precautions and being smart. It is t cause for full tilt absurd panic.

Quarantine the sick make tests affordable and accessible and get the fuck on with life.

You’re quoting numbers that we see with a near full shutdown.  If we opened everything up with what we have today in terms of testing/tracing it would be a nightmare - mostly in very urban areas.  
 I agree though - if we actually tested and traced properly we could and should be getting the fuck on w a lot of things.  The greatest civilization in the history of mankind can’t test/trace even to save trillions of dollars.  Blows my mind. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Texas and about 30 other programs probably need a semipro type of setup anyway.  Maybe this can speed that up.  Pretending like all D1 college football programs are playing at the same level is BS and we all know it.  

No argument there. Texas and several other schools are on an entirely different level in terms of revenue and resources. But we do play the Rice’s and La Tech’s of the world to visit Austin and that money funds their football program which in turn funds their other sports. Cancelling football to protect the student athlete would still cancel scholarships for a large majority of these student athletes which would open the eyes to a lot of people just how much money is flowing through football. 

Edited by Newy25

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

No argument there. Texas and several other schools are on an entirely different level in terms of revenue and resources. But we do play the Rice’s and La Tech’s of the world to visit Austin and that money funds their football program which in turn funds their other sports. Cancelling football to protect the student athlete would still cancel scholarships for a large majority of these student athletes which would open the eyes to a lot of people just how much money is flowing through football. 

Sadly the NCAA overlords are complete morons incapable of thinking outside the box - here's their chance to truly do some good...quite possibly something that saves their own ass.  And they will do jack shit.  

Yeah, sorry, as a medical professional comparing C19 to CTE is moronic so I admittedly didn’t read your entire post.  

edit: Al is a great poster.  Don’t mean anything against him personally.  

I’m not saying they have any medical similarities.

Im just pointing out that we already accept some significant health risks associated with football, and wanting to see football in the face of C19 doesn’t make you anymore a sociopath than those who are still watching the game knowing about CTE.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m not saying they have any medical similarities.

Im just pointing out that we already accept some significant health risks associated with football, and wanting to see football in the face of C19 doesn’t make you anymore a sociopath than those who are still watching the game knowing about CTE.

Probably true.  Definitely a fair point about most of us willing to overlook CTE risks to the player.  The contagious part of C19 is what makes playing it a possible deal breaker - something you realize and I overlooked in the earlier post.  All good.  

Testing is getting much better, and fast, so I'm holding out hope - maybe a delayed season like was mentioned earlier...I'm ok with starting in the second semester.  Let the NFL go first and we can learn a lot from them.

Hoping we have the first few million vaccine doses coming out early next year - a long shot but we seem to have a few different manufacturers heading to clinical trials in humans soon, if not already there.  I'm not always rational either.  I know it's stupid but I want some damn bars open and some football on too.  I try to separate what's smart and what my ape brain wants.  Not easy. 

• Like 2

It is cause for concern, it is cause for taking precautions and being smart. It isn't cause for full tilt absurd panic.

The exponential excess of C19 deaths has been curtailed by extreme measures. As we relax those measures, public health experts predict exponentially higher deaths.

The logistical challenges of traveling teams of amateur athletes are immense. Risks involve exposures, hospitalizations, and deaths to staff, students, and everyone they make contact with.

But exponential increases have largely been curtailed by extreme distancing measures, which are beginning to be being laxed. And we’re also undercounting C19 deaths according to Fauci and a couple of studies. There has likely been a spike in overall deaths since March.

46 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Probably true.  Definitely a fair point about most of us willing to overlook CTE risks to the player.  The contagious part of C19 is what makes playing it a possible deal breaker - something you realize and I overlooked in the earlier post.  All good.  

Testing is getting much better, and fast, so I'm holding out hope - maybe a delayed season like was mentioned earlier...I'm ok with starting in the second semester.  Let the NFL go first and we can learn a lot from them.

Hoping we have the first few million vaccine doses coming out early next year - a long shot but we seem to have a few different manufacturers heading to clinical trials in humans soon, if not already there.  I'm not always rational either.  I know it's stupid but I want some damn bars open and some football on too.  I try to separate what's smart and what my ape brain wants.  Not easy. 

I would selfishly love a second semester season.  Jack Trice in February is one hell of a home field advantage.  I'd actually be able to attend games too.

That said, I think a fan-less fall season is more likely, and it I think at least 25-30 of the current power conference schools will sit it out.

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

You haven’t heard?  Its worth any negative things that come with shutting things down if we can just save one life (from corona that is.). Don’t worry about the death and destruction from a shut down only worry about keeping people safe from corona.  The only deaths that matter are corona deaths.  Seriously though at this point people know and understand the risks and can make the personal decision to stay home if they want to avoid that risk.  Likewise if individuals decide to take on that risk that is their right.  Life is not now and never will be without risk.  No one is forcing anyone to play in a game or go to a game so stop acting like people can’t just stay the fuck home if that is what they want to do. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

That would be by far the best thing to come from the corona virus, but I’m not optimistic about it.

The California and Oregon schools are in a rough spot. Both of their state leaders have made it pretty damn clear football in the fall won’t be happening. The question then is can they get the rest of the P5 and maybe entire NCAA on board with waiting til spring? You have to think the SEC would say no and proceed with football in the fall so they can benefit from the money, recruiting, and transfer windfalls that would result. Like you said, the NCAA is the only one who could bring some uniformity to this. 

So yeah, this thing is absolutely looking like it will be a cluster fuck. The one thing that could stop it would be a huge second wave in July or August that leads to everyone, including the SEC, having to cancel football in the fall. But even then, we might be right back at this spot in the spring with SEC schools wanting to play and the PAC-12 still not able to based on state law. 

The SEC will play even if there are several players a game dropping dead on the field.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not going to stop at any red lights or stop signs any more.  Restricting my rights is not worth saving any lives.  If you don't like the risk just stay off the roads.

Not really the same thing but I hate to break it to you but people do this everyday and I know they do this yet you and I still get in a car every day.  But like I said it’s not a good comparison.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

More emotional and personal arguments. My opinions, formed from the information are invalid because they contradict your belief system. Notice how you or anyone else will not bring anything other than hysterical scenarios when discussing this? 

I’m a sociopath for wanting to let healthy, young athletes choose to play sports? And for those who want to take away that choice, leaving many sports programs to close and deprive many without scholarships what does that make you? Do you think you are some sort of white knight by supporting a position that will likely lead to a very large percentage of student athletes without scholarships ultimately?  Let’s have an honest discussion about the risks, how to mitigate those risks and what the consequences to all student athletes will be if we cancel football. No more tweets, personal anecdotes, outliers but actual discussion based in the facts that people can make informed decisions on.

The thought process changes dramatically when allowing those healthy, young athletes to play sports puts the rest of the student body and members of the general public at unnecessary risk.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

shit, if 80% of people just wore masks we'd have football.  

Yeah it's fucking amazing all the people not wearing masks where they should be wearing them ... and all the petty bullshit reasons they come up with to justify it. Un fucking real.

• Like 3

Because so many people seem more concerned with exercising their "rights" than of temporarily changing their behavior, I can't imagine football will happen in front of fans this fall. Too many people will refuse to obey rules or follow guidelines, which will make fan presence untenable.  I'm hoping there's a solution to have either football without live fans this fall or push it to the spring, but so much will be dictated by our society's behavior over the next few months. Sadly many of the football's most passionate fans could be the ones to keep us from enjoying it this fall if they continue to refuse to adhere to even minimal safety protocols. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah it's fucking amazing all the people not wearing masks where they should be wearing them ... and all the petty bullshit reasons they come up with to justify it. Un fucking real.

I have no idea where some of you people are going, but everywhere in Austin I've been for the past 2 weeks, at least 80% of people are wearing masks.  It's probably closer to 100% than it is to 80%.

I'm not talking about people jogging or cycling down the streets, where they are capable of distancing.  Or out on the lake in their own boats.  And I'm certainly not talking about people that are protesting on Capitol Hill.   I'm just talking about in stores, or other public places, where they could possibly interact with other humans they don't live with.  Almost all, masked up.

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not going to stop at any red lights or stop signs any more.  Restricting my rights is not worth saving any lives.  If you don't like the risk just stay off the roads.

On the flip side, we would save a fuck ton of lives if the speed limit on interstates was reduced to 30.

My only point here is that our society is already ok with a certain amount of 100% preventable deaths in order to allow society as a whole to continue operating in a more efficient manner.  We're coming to the point with C19 where we'll have to make that call again, and if anyone thinks that saving lives will be the top priority, they haven't paid attention to history.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

SEC will probably kick off if 50% of the USA population is infected.  

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I have no idea where some of you people are going, but everywhere in Austin I've been for the past 2 weeks, at least 80% of people are wearing masks.  It's probably closer to 100% than it is to 80%.

I'm not talking about people jogging or cycling down the streets, where they are capable of distancing.  Or out on the lake in their own boats.  And I'm certainly not talking about people that are protesting on Capitol Hill.   I'm just talking about in stores, or other public places, where they could possibly interact with other humans they don't live with.  Almost all, masked up.

Yes, we are in the minority.