College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I have no idea where some of you people are going, but everywhere in Austin I've been for the past 2 weeks, at least 80% of people are wearing masks.  It's probably closer to 100% than it is to 80%.

I'm not talking about people jogging or cycling down the streets, where they are capable of distancing.  Or out on the lake in their own boats.  And I'm certainly not talking about people that are protesting on Capitol Hill.   I'm just talking about in stores, or other public places, where they could possibly interact with other humans they don't live with.  Almost all, masked up.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Yes, we are in the minority. 

Yeah Austin is, as in every other way, different from most of the rest of the state and most other places in general. There's pretty good compliance here, esp in stores, etc. But ever since the relaxation of the lockdown, I've been seeing more and more people out and about, esp in more recreational settings, not wearing masks and/or not distancing. Even just outside of Austin in parts of the county, it's common now to see even smaller stores where hardly anyone even has a mask on at all. From what I hear of other places around the state & country, that's getting pretty common in many other places, too.

Edited by wood

6 hours ago, stork642 said:

You haven’t heard?  Its worth any negative things that come with shutting things down if we can just save one life (from corona that is.). Don’t worry about the death and destruction from a shut down only worry about keeping people safe from corona.  The only deaths that matter are corona deaths.  Seriously though at this point people know and understand the risks and can make the personal decision to stay home if they want to avoid that riskLikewise if individuals decide to take on that risk that is their right.  Life is not now and never will be without risk.  No one is forcing anyone to play in a game or go to a game so stop acting like people can’t just stay the fuck home if that is what they want to do. 

That works great if the risk you're talking about is your risk.  It's not - there's risk to everyone when you're out not giving a fuck.  Now if it were possible for everyone who didn't think it was safe to hole up at home - I think you might have a better point.  But healthcare workers and the like - hell...let's talk about people like the meat processing plants - they don't have a choice to stay home and the more people are out the higher the risk. 

I'm a proponent of people being out in small numbers as not to overwhelm the healthcare system.  25% capacity at restaurants if an area has hospital capacity etc.  If I was a 'if we can save one life' person, as you preface in the second sentence, I'd be for nothing opening up - I'm not.  But I sure as hell am all about not having large gatherings where the risk is MUCH higher - we aren't talking one life in these instances...when you extrapolate it's a much larger number.  

• Like 8

On the flip side, we would save a fuck ton of lives if the speed limit on interstates was reduced to 30.
My only point here is that our society is already ok with a certain amount of 100% preventable deaths in order to allow society as a whole to continue operating in a more efficient manner.  We're coming to the point with C19 where we'll have to make that call again, and if anyone thinks that saving lives will be the top priority, they haven't paid attention to history.
Engineers (you know, experts) set the speed limits on what a safe speed is on each road.

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I would think the governor, the rest of state leadership, and public health officials will also have some say. 

It'll be interesting to see how these new alliances influence college football and other sports.

California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, and Colorado are all in the Western States Pact which calls for a shared vision and consistency on fighting COVID-19 and appropriately opening up the economy. Hawaii is coordinating with the group and Idaho may be invited soon.

New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware formed a Regional Advisory Council with similar goals.

Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine are coordinating with Massachusetts and are expected to eventually become part of the Regional Advisory Council.

Maryland, D.C., Virginia, and North Carolina have set up a group.

South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee are all working together.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky make up the Midwest Partnership.

North and South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, and Arkansas have a compact as the Missouri River States.

Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, and the Navajo Nation are coordinating while Utah and New Mexico also have a compact with Colorado, Wyoming, and Kansas.

Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, West Virginia, Idaho, and Alaska are the only states who don't currently belong to some formal state government level COVID-19 group.

However, the 13 states of the Confederacy (including Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana) along with West Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland have formed the Higher Education Recovery Task Force which will focus on Higher Ed challenges. Given the states and schools involved, no doubt one of those challenges is football.

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:
On the flip side, we would save a fuck ton of lives if the speed limit on interstates was reduced to 30.
My only point here is that our society is already ok with a certain amount of 100% preventable deaths in order to allow society as a whole to continue operating in a more efficient manner.  We're coming to the point with C19 where we'll have to make that call again, and if anyone thinks that saving lives will be the top priority, they haven't paid attention to history.

Engineers (you know, experts) set the speed limits on what a safe speed is on each road.

And those experts would tell you that lower speed limits would save lives.  But as a society, we've decided we're ok with X number of preventable deaths, because a world with 30 mph speed limits would be incredibly inconvenient.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

However, the 13 states of the Confederacy (including Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana) along with West Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland have formed the Higher Education Recovery Task Force which will focus on Higher Ed challenges. Given the states and schools involved, no doubt one of those challenges is football.

jon stewart what GIF

• Like 3

LSU student athletes returning to campus in June. 

LSU intends for student-athletes to return to campus June 1 when the Southeastern Conference may lift its suspension of activities, but athletic director Scott Woodward said the athletic department can adjust if plans change. 

“I see sometime in June our student-athletes getting back to campus,” Woodward said. 

12 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That works great if the risk you're talking about is your risk.  It's not - there's risk to everyone when you're out not giving a fuck.  Now if it were possible for everyone who didn't think it was safe to hole up at home - I think you might have a better point.  But healthcare workers and the like - hell...let's talk about people like the meat processing plants - they don't have a choice to stay home and the more people are out the higher the risk. 

I'm a proponent of people being out in small numbers as not to overwhelm the healthcare system.  25% capacity at restaurants if an area has hospital capacity etc.  If I was a 'if we can save one life' person, as you preface in the second sentence, I'd be for nothing opening up - I'm not.  But I sure as hell am all about not having large gatherings where the risk is MUCH higher - we aren't talking one life in these instances...when you extrapolate it's a much larger number.  

These are good points.  No one wants the health care systems to be overrun and that is why everyone quarantined.  Now it is up to individuals who are at risk to continue to stay home.  But we are talking about the possibility of no football even without fans in the stands.  There is an argument to be made that the players are by in large very healthy and very low risks from serious complications from Covid19.  Also if they are with the team they will be getting tested regularly and have a medical professionals looking after them on a day in and day out basis.  There are some advantages to having many of the players evolved with the team because of nutrition and medical care they won’t get at home.  I just don’t want to see well intentioned people go overboard with their “let’s take all the possible risk out of life” mentality.  There has to be a tipping point where each of us will decide that the known risks are no longer paralyzing.  

9 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

LSU student athletes returning to campus in June. 

LSU intends for student-athletes to return to campus June 1 when the Southeastern Conference may lift its suspension of activities, but athletic director Scott Woodward said the athletic department can adjust if plans change. 

“I see sometime in June our student-athletes getting back to campus,” Woodward said. 

LSU has paid their players very generously and they expect them to show up to campus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stork642 said:

These are good points.  No one wants the health care systems to be overrun and that is why everyone quarantined.  Now it is up to individuals who are at risk to continue to stay home.  But we are talking about the possibility of no football even without fans in the stands.  There is an argument to be made that the players are by in large very healthy and very low risks from serious complications from Covid19.  Also if they are with the team they will be getting tested regularly and have a medical professionals looking after them on a day in and day out basis.  There are some advantages to having many of the players evolved with the team because of nutrition and medical care they won’t get at home.  I just don’t want to see well intentioned people go overboard with their “let’s take all the possible risk out of life” mentality.  There has to be a tipping point where each of us will decide that the known risks are no longer paralyzing.  

They already tried that. - Rudy Gobert got Donovan Mitchell sick immediately 

• Like 2

And those experts would tell you that lower speed limits would save lives.  But as a society, we've decided we're ok with X number of preventable deaths, because a world with 30 mph speed limits would be incredibly inconvenient.

Yes, but what if with each crash there was an exponential chance of another crash, and so on and so on? And people started to crash their cars into houses. And into nursing homes. And hospitals. And family reunions. So the car crash from one speeder leads to deaths to people minding their own business eating dinner and using the restroom.

Your analogy is flawed because we’re talking about an infectious disease that is impacting our entire civilization. We’re not talking about eating cheeseburgers and the link to heart disease.

Also, right now society doesn’t know the risks. We have not just let the virus infect society. We don’t have a shared understanding of how the disease spreads. I’m afraid that the people who want the money and enjoyment from college football are rationalizing it by underestimating the risks to the participants and to communities.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

I will agree that the people at both extremes are very clearly wrong.  There's 'open it all up' people and there's 'do not let anything happen - at all' people.  I am very against both and they're both extremely harmful in their own ways...C19 is a terrible disease.  And an actual depression is fucking hell.  Some people really need to read books on one since none of us have experienced that in our lifetimes and too many are ready to bet we'll be A-ok to go through one.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

False. U of Montana football is a lot of fun. 

Only 2 national championships and a 2-5 record in national championship games.

North Dakota State's 8-0 record says to suck a dick.  At least counterargument with a better program! 

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Your analogy is flawed because we’re talking about an infectious disease that is impacting our entire civilization. We’re not talking about eating cheeseburgers and the link to heart disease.

His analogy was speed limits.  It wasn't diet and heart disease.  The speed of one driver on the road impacts the safety of other drivers and people on the road.  Vehicular speed is not a communicable illness but each driver's speed affects other people's safety - people on the road riding the bus, crossing the street, driving their car, etc.  

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Only 2 national championships and a 2-5 record in national championship games.

North Dakota State's 8-0 record says to suck a dick.  At least counterargument with a better program! 

? I said it was fun. Been to a Griz game? They're fun. The scene is fun. The stadium atmosphere is fun. All of game day in Missoula is fun. 

Yes, but what if with each crash there was an exponential chance of another crash, and so on and so on? And people started to crash their cars into houses. And into nursing homes. And hospitals. And family reunions. So the car crash from one speeder leads to deaths to people minding their own business eating dinner and using the restroom.

Also, right now society doesn’t know the risks. We have not just let the virus infect society. We don’t have a shared understanding of how the disease spreads. I’m afraid that the people who want the money and enjoyment from college football are rationalizing it by underestimating the risks to the participants and to communities.

All I’m saying that is we routinely allow preventable death to make society function more efficiently. I’m not saying car crashes function like a virus.

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

All I’m saying that is we routinely allow preventable death to make society function more efficiently. I’m not saying car crashes function like a virus.

The analogy is flawed because there is no way to completely eradicate car crashes. Infectious diseases, on the other hand....

• Fuck You 1

But we don’t accept exponential risk, but do accept static risks in moderation, like flu and higher traffic limits. That’s where you weigh risks.

C19 inherently prevents our normal society from functioning. We don’t accept dangers when we think they can spiral out of control. Were grappling with it now, and I see a lot of rationalizing it by minimizing how quickly C19 can cripple society on its own.

The pro sports have a massive job in containment. They can weigh risks and control the environment. They have a chance. Not sure college sports are up to it. Too many variables and unknowns and things beyond the decision-makers control.
  • Like 1

If there's one thing I've learned reading this thread it's that your analogy game better be air-fucking-tight.

This pandemic reminds me of a story called The Puppy Who Lost His Way...

The puppy was like the American people in that they were both lost in the woods.  And nobody, especially the little boy..."big pharma vaccination development" knew where to find them.  Except that the puppy was a dog.  But the corona virus my friends, that is a global pandemic.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

If there's one thing I've learned reading this thread it's that your analogy game better be air-fucking-tight.

This pandemic reminds me of a story called The Puppy Who Lost His Way...

The puppy was like the American people in that they were both lost in the woods.  And nobody, especially the little boy..."big pharma vaccination development" knew where to find them.  Except that the puppy was a dog.  But the corona virus my friends, that is a global pandemic.

Billy Madison The Puppy Who Lost His Way - YouTube

• Like 1