College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

The analogy is flawed because there is no way to completely eradicate car crashes. Infectious diseases, on the other hand....

surprised kenan thompson GIF

Point is if we significantly reduce the number of cars on the roads that will in turn significantly reduce car crashes.  Are you saying the goal here is to completely eradicate Covid19 deaths because that’s a great goal and all but it will be a long time before that ever happens.  So if that is the goal we stay shut dawn until then?  First it was flatten the curve now it’s stay home until there is a cure.  If this is truly your mentality you should never get in a car again because of the inherent risk associated with such a decision. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
23 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:
On the flip side, we would save a fuck ton of lives if the speed limit on interstates was reduced to 30.
My only point here is that our society is already ok with a certain amount of 100% preventable deaths in order to allow society as a whole to continue operating in a more efficient manner.  We're coming to the point with C19 where we'll have to make that call again, and if anyone thinks that saving lives will be the top priority, they haven't paid attention to history.

Engineers (you know, experts) set the speed limits on what a safe speed is on each road.

Well they consistently set those limits 20mph too low if my speeding tickets are to believed. 

The thing about Riley's comments is there's a consensus that CFB players would be safer on campus than in their hometowns. Probably true in a lot of places. But he's right in terms of bringing them back would mean a ton of activity in general, and that would cause virus flareups for sure.

I wish the question "What if one player tests positive" would get backburnered for a while. They could lock the US down until August 2021 and there would be a chance one player would test positive coming back. There is no good answer today, but there will be a better answer in a few months and an even better answer next year. Observe what happens overseas (Bundesliga at the moment) and things will come into focus.

Just got off a ZOOM call with a friend. He showed us a technical drawing of plexiglass dividers for stadium seating. 

I have a better idea. Why don’t we build a basement for everyone who doesn’t want to risk being in a public place

4 minutes ago, gecko said:

I have a better idea. Why don’t we build a basement for everyone who doesn’t want to risk being in a public place

Gonna be one big ass basement....Unfortunately the reality is gonna be social distancing for a few years I bet.  Reduced seating, special precautions, masks. This thing will pass just like the 1919 pandemic, but it'll have rippling affects for a while.

Have a bud who sells sporting goods equipment to Rawlings, and a several tennis supply companies. He's just been contracted to make masks by MLB for the teams, and staff.  

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

The thing about Riley's comments is there's a consensus that CFB players would be safer on campus than in their hometowns. Probably true in a lot of places. But he's right in terms of bringing them back would mean a ton of activity in general, and that would cause virus flareups for sure.

I wish the question "What if one player tests positive" would get backburnered for a while. They could lock the US down until August 2021 and there would be a chance one player would test positive coming back. There is no good answer today, but there will be a better answer in a few months and an even better answer next year. Observe what happens overseas (Bundesliga at the moment) and things will come into focus.

Agree with sentiment that the safest place for most CFB players is going to be on campus under the control and watch of team doctors, trainers, nutritionists, etc. Forget about contact start dates, but waiting to get them on campus is not the answer and in most cases getting them on campus is likely the safest option for the players.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

Therapeutics will lead the way.  Once a treatment is in place, and accessible (Oct/Nov?), that vastly reduces the risk of hospitalization and bad outcomes we resume our lives.  We'll get the plexiglass dividers installed at DKR just in time to realize they aren't needed.

The capitulation I read here and elsewhere is troubling.

Therapeutics will lead the way.  Once a treatment is in place, and accessible (Oct/Nov?), that vastly reduces the risk of hospitalization and bad outcomes we resume our lives.  We'll get the plexiglass dividers installed at DKR just in time to realize they aren't needed.
The capitulation I read here and elsewhere is troubling.

Well I'm sold. No evidence of course, but this guy on surly has a hunch.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, can't say I liked it, but somebody has done a serious amount of design, and engineering work on the product.  

Apparently reasonable assumptions:
(1) Nobody wants these damn things. (2) The capital outlay for materials and installation would be substantial. (3) The projected gameday experience and revenues will, within a suitably short period of time, recoup their cost. (4)  No effective vaccine and/or therapeutic treatment(s) will be developed within a time frame vis-a-vis their cost that will render these things obsolete.

Ergo, the thinking would have to be that this COVID crap, or something like it, will be with us for a long time, making mechanisms like these both necessary and economically defensible. If so, help me, Jesus.  

I give this idea about a 1% chance of becoming a reality.

Evidence of the coming therapeutics are everywhere you just have to look for them. I’m not going to do the work for you.
*makes assertion without source*

"It's your responsibility to find evidence for my statement."

Persuasive indeed.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Bartles said:

Welp, Bundesliga already had at least one team quarantined as of few days ago ...

5 hours ago, Bartles said:

Link to consensus?  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

*makes assertion without source*

"It's your responsibility to find evidence for my statement."

Persuasive indeed.

So your internet skills don't extend beyond Surly?  You really should stay in your basement.

So your internet skills don't extend beyond Surly?  You really should stay in your basement.

You made a pretty bold claim: that effective treatment for COVID-19 which vastly reduces hospitalizations (meaning you're treating the disease early - which necessarialy implies a huge scale-up of testing, but let's leave that out) and significantly improves outcomes will be available so widely by October/November that we essentially resume normal life, and that large events like a football game at DKR would not only be able to proceed, but that precaution discussed above would not be needed.

That'd be news to, uh, everyone on Earth. So yeah go ahead and source that one.

• Like 6

Agree with sentiment that the safest place for most CFB players is going to be on campus under the control and watch of team doctors, trainers, nutritionists, etc.

Except for the majority of their day when they are out and about looking for a party and chasing tail to get their dick wet.
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 1:24 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not going to stop at any red lights or stop signs any more.  Restricting my rights is not worth saving any lives.  If you don't like the risk just stay off the roads.

This is why its impossible to discuss this with some people. They make a very intellectually dishonest statement to win some quick Internet points. Snark has replaced discourse and emotion has displaced reason. And judging by the amount of likes, this is way too pervasive to engage in any kind of meaningful discussion. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You made a pretty bold claim: that effective treatment for COVID-19 which vastly reduces hospitalizations (meaning you're treating the disease early - which necessarialy implies a huge scale-up of testing, but let's leave that out) and significantly improves outcomes will be available so widely by October/November that we essentially resume normal life, and that large events like a football game at DKR would not only be able to proceed, but that precaution discussed above would not be needed.

That'd be news to, uh, everyone on Earth. So yeah go ahead and source that one.

I agree, I'd like to see what treatment that poster is referring to. I'm curious though, what the definition is of "effective treatment?" There are thousands of people who have recovered completely from COVID, and many received "effective treatment" to help them recover. An "effective treatment" is far more likely than "a cure" arriving before September. The reality is this virus has spread much further than the official numbers are saying. The governors and mayors and other experts who asked us to stay home and flatten the curve are now telling us we can't reopen without a cure. And that everyone needs to be tested. Would all those increased positives suddenly make these leaders and experts feel better about letting us return to our lives, or will it give them more data to point to longer lockdowns? And how many tests will make people feel better? Daily? Hourly? 

Installing plastic dividers in stadiums is ludicrous and won't do much other than provide an illusion of safety. Wearing cloth masks we are told are essential. Even though Dr Fauci himself said in March that they don't really help and actually can make the spread worse. As did the surgeon general. And the CDC. But now they are crucial to re-entering society?

Until we stop treating this virus as the greatest threat to humanity we have ever encountered and start accepting the fact that this is a virus which will spread no matter what we do, we will NEVER return to any sense of normalcy. I am beyond fucking sick of the panic driving the narrative. 

• Like 1

I agree, I'd like to see what treatment that poster is referring to. I'm curious though, what the definition is of "effective treatment?" There are thousands of people who have recovered completely from COVID, and many received "effective treatment" to help them recover. An "effective treatment" is far more likely than "a cure" arriving before September. The reality is this virus has spread much further than the official numbers are saying. The governors and mayors and other experts who asked us to stay home and flatten the curve are now telling us we can't reopen without a cure. And that everyone needs to be tested. Would all those increased positives suddenly make these leaders and experts feel better about letting us return to our lives, or will it give them more data to point to longer lockdowns? And how many tests will make people feel better? Daily? Hourly? 
Installing plastic dividers in stadiums is ludicrous and won't do much other than provide an illusion of safety. Wearing cloth masks we are told are essential. Even though Dr Fauci himself said in March that they don't really help and actually can make the spread worse. As did the surgeon general. And the CDC. But now they are crucial to re-entering society?
Until we stop treating this virus as the greatest threat to humanity we have ever encountered and start accepting the fact that this is a virus which will spread no matter what we do, we will NEVER return to any sense of normalcy. I am beyond fucking sick of the panic driving the narrative. 

Not going into the policy/political angle on the football board. I think it's reasonable to say that most agree that huge crowds like 100k plus for football are probably off the table until the risk of another NYC/Detroit/NOLA episode is low. There's just a little bit of a gap between that and existential threat to humanity. Certainly decision makers for college football agree on that, which is really the relavent opinion to this thread topic.

We've got a poster saying everything will be essentially medically and logistically solved in six months, and we'll be back to normal. And further, that you're stupid if you don't know that because it's so widely known and easily verifiable, like gravity or OU sucking.

I'd love for that to be true but that's a very bold claim, to put it nicely.

• Like 3

Just now, Sejjr said:

nobody has said that.