College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

There are approximately 1,000 more Covid hospitalizations in GA since we had this conversation. Over 7,000 now

More total accumulated numbers! I wish everyone would take a basic course in statistics before acting like a medical expert. You see all of of these graphs that are headed down? 

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Please come back in a month and quote how the total hospitalizations went up from 7,000 to 10,000. OMG its getting worse in Georgia look the counter is higher!!!!

People who talk about increasing accumulated counts are like people with neck tats. On one hand I actually like it because it lets me know who the stupid people are. On the other hand, please for the love of God try to understand what you are actually looking at. 

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

More total accumulated numbers! I wish everyone would take a basic course in statistics before acting like a medical expert. You see all of of these graphs that are headed down? 

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Please come back in a month and quote how the total hospitalizations went up from 7,000 to 10,000. OMG its getting worse in Georgia look the counter is higher!!!!

People who talk about increasing accumulated counts are like people with neck tats. On one hand I actually like it because it lets me know who the stupid people are. On the other hand, please for the love of God try to understand what you are actually looking at. 

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought  that’s not the total of people ever hospitalized - but the number of current beds taken up today 

Edited by Pig Bellmont
  • Like 1

For example in MD we have 1,421 people currently hospitalized which has been on a true downward trajectory. Why would GA be reporting on numbers of people ever hospitalized? Isn’t the significance of that number about bed capacity?

Edited by Pig Bellmont

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

For example in MD we have 1,421 people currently hospitalized which has been on a true downward trajectory. Why would GA be reporting on numbers of people ever hospitalized? Isn’t the significance of that number about bed capacity?

Maybe you should include a link to data and graph you are talking about, so then everyone will know if you are truly an idoit or not.

I’m not wrong. The number of people hospitalized today is approximately over 1,000 more than on May 12-13. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wjcl.com/amp/article/coronavirus-in-georgia-total-cases-near-38000-nearly-7000-hospitalizations/32575411

As of Monday afternoon, there were 38,081 confirmed cases. Georgia is also reporting 1,642 coronavirus deaths and 6,916 hospitalizations.

4 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Agreed.

What happens when a player tests positive and his family sues the school because being a student athlete is necessary to pay for his education? What about the other teammates that test positive as a result of neglect or being in the vicinity of a sneeze on campus? Or an infected person not showing symptoms on the team plane to play an away game?

You think the Utah States of the world want to take those risks? NFL players have a huge financial incentive to play games. So do schools that take in millions. College kids do not. 

Yep.  Been saying the NFL is much more realistic.  And if anything we will see a flare up in fall.  No slowdown.  So again, look at Spring when there’s some chance of vaccine and a virus slowdown even without.  Fall looks brutal.  

Please, lecture me more about statistics

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/breaking-down-the-data-of-coronavirus-cases-in-georgia/85-70ebae7d-a7b3-4faa-b0d5-0be67edb6d06

The charts being released by the Georgia Department of Public Health have some concerned especially one in particular.

It shows the number of new hospital patients reported each day -- and that line is trending up.

Edited by Pig Bellmont
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’m not wrong. The number of people hospitalized today is approximately over 1,000 more than on May 12-13. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wjcl.com/amp/article/coronavirus-in-georgia-total-cases-near-38000-nearly-7000-hospitalizations/32575411

As of Monday afternoon, there were 38,081 confirmed cases. Georgia is also reporting 1,642 coronavirus deaths and 6,916 hospitalizations.

Yes, you are wrong. Georgia is reporting Hospitalizations cumulatively.

■ Hospitalizations: Defines the count of confirmed cases in which the patient was hospitalized at the time of reporting to DPH. Because of how this number is reported to DPH, it may be underreported. This number does not represent the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases currently hospitalized.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It is a good thing that article came out yesterday, since it appears they took a one day upturn (yes I know what a 7 day moving average is) and immediately went to press with the "upturn"

A more pragmatic person may look at the graph below and see a downward trend since April 9th.  And we are still talking about a few hundred people in a state of 4 million

323aa826-ac38-4559-b95c-e2e9f3b55a91_1140x641.png

Edited by jinx
  • Like 2

It is a good thing that article came out yesterday, since it appears they took a one day upturn (yes I know what a 7 day moving average is) and immediately went to press with the "upturn"
A more pragmatic person may look at the graph below and see a downward trend since April 9th.  And we are still talking about a few hundred people in a state of 4 million

323aa826-ac38-4559-b95c-e2e9f3b55a91_1140x641.png

Georgia has 10.6 million

On 5/18/2020 at 9:11 AM, Eskimohorn said:

https://n.rivals.com/news/mccready-10-weekend-thoughts-presented-by-harry-alexander-200?ga_source=tm

Well if the numbers are like Texas, then there’s largely been underreporting of C19 deaths when looking at the spike in overall mortality in correlation with the disease. The spike was 4x that of reported C19 deaths in the 1st month.

Largely, when a person comes from home as dead with pneumonia, but no test recorded, then they are not counted as a C19 death. Texas, for instance, is bottom 5 in insured patients and was bottom 5 in C19 testing for March and April. You do the math.

Right now, a close examination of the non-homicide trends can get you pretty close to the actual mortality of C19.

Colorado I dont know about.

Statistics are still statistics.  Testing has drastically increased in TX and the rate of positive results has gone down.  Those statistics still remain informative, no matter how uninsured the state is. 

Edited by Trey3216

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Georgia has 10.6 million

So Georgia the state hs more people than Georgia the country.  Lesson learned on quick google search info, and also a reality check in comparing the US to other countries.

Agreed.

What happens when a player tests positive and his family sues the school because being a student athlete is necessary to pay for his education? What about the other teammates that test positive as a result of neglect or being in the vicinity of a sneeze on campus? Or an infected person not showing symptoms on the team plane to play an away game?

You think the Utah States of the world want to take those risks? NFL players have a huge financial incentive to play games. So do schools that take in millions. College kids do not. 

That only works if workouts, pracrice, attending team meetings/activities and suiting up for games are manadatory for keeping said scholarship. Might be a sweet deal for some player who doesnt really love football and has never entertained the thought of making an NFL roster...but those types usually dont get a scholly in the first place.

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Maybe you should include a link to data and graph you are talking about, so then everyone will know if you are truly an idoit or not.

Hey, hey ... this is SurlyHorns. We're all idiots here.

42 minutes ago, markstanco said:

What percentage of people in Georgia are dead from c19? And what percentage of those deaths are inflated? Hospitals get extra money for c19. Yall know that though.

0%. Every single person in Georgia is currently alive. No inflation because the number is zero. 

Edited by Irieguy
  • Like 3

Not the clearest of tweets but I think I figured it out. So basically every team besides the pac 12, Rutgers, the Michigan’s and penn st?

Works for me

It sort of insinuates that the non Texas Big 12 schools won’t play, and that doesn’t seem believable. Maybe I’m reading it wrong

What a weird quote. The Big Ten doesn't have any schools that are wavering right now, and I don't think the Virginia schools are in danger either. Even the Pac-12 has come around with their language about finding a path to kicking off on time. I agree Texas is a border state though

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Not the clearest of tweets but I think I figured it out. So basically every team besides the pac 12, Rutgers, the Michigan’s and penn st?

Works for me

Would anyone even notice or care if a Michigan took a season off? 

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

What a weird quote. The Big Ten doesn't have any schools that are wavering right now, and I don't think the Virginia schools are in danger either. Even the Pac-12 has come around with their language about finding a path to kicking off on time. I agree Texas is a border state though

Sounds like somebody just BSing and pontificating about which teams are the most “important”. I wouldn’t read in to it at all. 

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200520/large-events-in-austin-not-likely-through-end-of-2020-officials-say?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Austin American-Statesman austin-breaking-news 2020-05-2015:22:36&utm_content=GCOX_AUS&utm_term=052020

Large events like the Austin City Limits Music Festival or Longhorn Football games are not likely through the end of the year as the coronavirus pandemic continues, Austin Public Health officials said Wednesday.

“The large events are the first thing that we turned off and are going to be the last thing we’re going to turn back on because of that risk of exposing lots of people to one another, particularly individuals of the same household,” said interim Austin-Travis County Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott.

Austin is currently in Stage 3 of its reopening plan, which allows low-risk people to gather, shop and dine out in groups of 10 or fewer.

Escott said the city would have to move into Stage 1 of the plan to consider large events again. In Stage 1, high-risk residents would have to avoid gatherings of 25 people or more. The size of gatherings for low-risk people during Stage 1 has not yet been determined.

“We are working on a plan to help forecast what we think is going to be reasonable, but looking through the end of December, we don’t have any indications at this stage that we would be able to mitigate risk enough to have large events, particularly ones over 2,500,” Escott said.

Determining what events will be able to happen in the next month or two months is difficult as news with the coronavirus changes very quickly, he said.

Potential factors, including an effective treatment that can be administered early in a coronavirus case, or rapid testing that could be done at the gates of a University of Texas game using saliva, would be considered in opening the city more, Escott said.

More events will be possible if Austin can keep the number of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations low over the next few months.

“I think that’s incentive for us to work hard at that social distancing, work hard at ensuring that people who are sick stay home and if they’re staying home, they’re directed to testing, so that we can get a handle on this,” Escott said.

“We really all as a community have to be focused on the goal of ensuring, number one, that things stay open and number two, that we get ourselves in a situation which will allow us to open the window even more in the future, particularly in the fall,” he said”

Think about the impact on college recruiting if high school football doesn't happen.  The senior class is set for the most part outside of late bloomers, but think about all the sophomores and juniors that pop up on the radar in regards to the 2022 and 2023 classes.  There would probably still be camps and whatnot, but the evaluations would be hard without actual games.  I bet lots of classes wouldn't fill up as early and Fall 2021 recruiting for the 2022 class would be crazy as you see what that senior class looks like.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Today is the extended deadline for renewing season tickets. Have had them since 2004 but not renewing this year. Was going to keep them a few more years, especially with the added home and home games but I am not wasting money, even if it ends up refunded, for tickets this season. I had a good run anyway. Saw two titles in person and Bama vs UM  then Bama vs USC in Jerryworld plus a bunch of openers in ATL.

• Like 1

Just now, Tailgate said:

Really still hoping I can take my dad to see us play LSU. At the very least get me to New Orleans for some good grub and drinks.

I was planning to make a trip to BR to see the game, even if I couldn't get tix.  Wanted to be there, and take a visit to Nawlins too.  I'm 40 now so maybe my immune system can take a hit?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Large events like the Austin City Limits Music Festival or Longhorn Football games are not likely through the end of the year as the coronavirus pandemic continues, Austin Public Health officials said Wednesday.

That will blow a nice $40-$50 million chunk out of the athletic department revenue.