College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Dudes are out here openly plotting out their seating plans. I don't care if it's Austin, Berkeley, East Lansing (LOL) or wherever...statehouse pencil pushers aren't gonna stop ticket sales if it's being done successfully elsewhere.

Well, at least students will be on campus in the Fall.

https://president.utexas.edu/messages-speeches-2020/fall-2020-planning-update-may-20

Fall Semester Schedule

The fall semester will begin as scheduled on August 26, and classes will run until Thanksgiving. Students will not return after Thanksgiving and, instead, will participate in reading days and final exams remotely. With COVID-19 still expected to be active this fall, we hope to avoid the possibility of students becoming infected during the Thanksgiving break and then spreading the virus to classmates upon their return after Thanksgiving. We are still developing the details for how this new schedule will affect course syllabi, residence hall living and other key campus functions. We will continue to provide additional information as we move forward.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:17 AM, Bama Llama said:

A year from now this space will be filled with accusatory rants blaming utter chaos and death on the impatience and ignorance of teeing up football in 2020 instead of continuing distancing protocols and nixing mass gatherings.

Face it - we have become addicted to the spectacle of football; watching it on screens and in person, celebrating it in every way from tailgating to naming babies after players and coaches, and planning summer, fall and winter calendars around it.  

You damn well know in the cave dweller part of your brain stem that there is a dangerous predator outside the cave and you and your family should not go outside or he will probably kill you and eat you.  Why not be sensible and live to tailgate and enjoy your rival's humiliating losses another day?

Is this dangerous predator have a 98.999% chance of not killing me?  If so I’ll take the gamble 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 5:31 AM, Spankytoes said:

Agreed.

What happens when a player tests positive and his family sues the school because being a student athlete is necessary to pay for his education? What about the other teammates that test positive as a result of neglect or being in the vicinity of a sneeze on campus? Or an infected person not showing symptoms on the team plane to play an away game?

You think the Utah States of the world want to take those risks? NFL players have a huge financial incentive to play games. So do schools that take in millions. College kids do not. 

How many people sue locations everytime they get sick?  This is just another what if you pile on to all the other bullshit out there.  We gonna start suing families when junior bangs a dirty coed and gets the clap or life ling drip dick?

On 5/19/2020 at 7:31 AM, Spankytoes said:

Agreed.

What happens when a player tests positive and his family sues the school because being a student athlete is necessary to pay for his education? What about the other teammates that test positive as a result of neglect or being in the vicinity of a sneeze on campus? Or an infected person not showing symptoms on the team plane to play an away game?

You think the Utah States of the world want to take those risks? NFL players have a huge financial incentive to play games. So do schools that take in millions. College kids do not. 

Fuck dude, a college athlete has more to fear from a drunken frat party than Covid-19. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

There are 100 m&ms in the bowl. Two of them are poison and will kill you. Would you eat one?

If the choice was eat and m&m or stay locked inside and lose everything you own and worked for and live on the streets I eat an m&m. I can’t imagine living life in fear like people who pose quesrions like this.   Takes some personal accountability and wear a mask if you’re concerned. I’m chatting right now via text with a 20 year friend who has it. She’s has a fever and a shit feeling but she’s re-shoeing her horses because she has a farm to run. 45 not in shape and not dead.  So yeah I eat and m&m.  Especially if it’s a peanut butter one 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

If the choice was eat and m&m or stay locked inside and lose everything you own and worked for and live on the streets I eat an m&m. I can’t imagine living life in fear like people who pose quesrions like this.   Takes some personal accountability and wear a mask if you’re concerned. I’m chatting right now via text with a 20 year friend who has it. She’s has a fever and a shit feeling but she’s re-shoeing her horses because she has a farm to run. 45 not in shape and not dead.  So yeah I eat and m&m.  Especially if it’s a peanut butter one 

Cool. Glad you know someone who got it and didn’t die. That wasn’t the hypothetical bc this thread is about playing college football in the fall, which you don’t rely on for your livelihood- but like candy might make you feel good. I don’t live in fear, but I won’t go to a crowded stadium if there’s a 1-2% chance I could die. I’ve got kids

It’s not like people either die or are fine. There’s a hell of a lot of in betweens like being in the hospital and being in the icu or just being sick as shit in bed for a month. I’d also be scared of giving it to my kids or my parents or people I work with (one lost her 40 yo brother to this). 

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Cool. Glad you know someone who got it and didn’t die. That wasn’t the hypothetical bc this thread is about playing college football in the fall, which you don’t rely on for your livelihood- but like candy might make you feel good. I don’t live in fear, but I won’t go to a crowded stadium if there’s a 1-2% chance I could die. I’ve got kids

Cool. You stay at home. Your choice. Your protection your accountability.  Good on you my friend. Just don’t force others to fall in line with your thoughts and all is well

• Like 9

If you had a bowl of 100 m&m's and all were poison, yet unless you were very old, had a compromised immune system, or severe comorbidities, you could eat the m&ms without dying. You could possibly, however, get sick for a few days or a few weeks. Though in most cases you'd be completely fine unless you were in that high risk group. You also get to keep your job and your income and watch football games and eat at restaurants if you eat a m&m. Would you eat one?

What a stupid fucking hypothetical. Thankfully, people are fucking sick of this shit and are starting to responsibly reopen, and I am fairly convinced we will have football this fall in some form if things keep progressing as they are currently. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

If you had a bowl of 100 m&m's and all were poison, yet unless you were very old, had a compromised immune system, or severe comorbidities, you could eat the m&ms without dying. You could possibly, however, get sick for a few days or a few weeks. Though in most cases you'd be completely fine unless you were in that high risk group. You also get to keep your job and your income and watch football games and eat at restaurants if you eat a m&m. Would you eat one?

What a stupid fucking hypothetical. Thankfully, people are fucking sick of this shit and are starting to responsibly reopen, and I am fairly convinced we will have football this fall in some form if things keep progressing as they are currently. 

Not too mention as we study the virus more we get more information. Just today the CDC reversed course on getting Covid from contaminated surfaces, saying it is not spread easily.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not too mention as we study the virus more we get more information. Just today the CDC reversed course on getting Covid from contaminated surfaces, saying it is not spread easily.

i watch a station called Newsy, just news no opinions.. they said that the news of the prior infected people catching it again wasn't accurate either.  My co worker is going through it along with her husband. they are in their 50s and life sucks for them, but atleast once they get better, it should be it for them.

Not sure how big of a deal COVID-related liability issues will be for the Universities, pro sports teams, etc ... but my kids' volleyball and baseball seasons just got canceled for that very reason. They were getting set to resume after having been postponed for the last 2+ months. Everything was looking good, and then they talked to the lawyers. Game over. They say the liability is too big if a kid gets sick, and the potential lawsuits are too winnable (by the plaintiffs). Basically they're slam dunk cases, and they have too much to lose (fields, gyms, etc). I'm sitting here wondering what has to happen to change this scenario. A vaccine? 

• Like 1

Is there an article that explains the lawsuit angle?  I don't quite understand it.  Don't the plaintiffs' attorneys have to show that their clients got it from X league/company by a preponderance of the evidence?  Then, don't they have to show damages?  If someone dies, damages seem straightforward but if someone gets flu-like symptoms for a week or two, what are the damages?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CDAK said:

Is there an article that explains the lawsuit angle?  I don't quite understand it.  Don't the plaintiffs' attorneys have to show that their clients got it from X league/company by a preponderance of the evidence?  Then, don't they have to show damages?  If someone dies, damages seem straightforward but if someone gets flu-like symptoms for a week or two, what are the damages?

Medical bills plus pain and suffering.  That shit's the bread and butter of such lawsuits.

But seems like a liability waiver would be pretty useful here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

It’s not like people either die or are fine. There’s a hell of a lot of in betweens like being in the hospital and being in the icu or just being sick as shit in bed for a month. I’d also be scared of giving it to my kids or my parents or people I work with (one lost her 40 yo brother to this). 

If you're worried about giving it to your kids, then you've been living under a rock for the last 3 months. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

If you're worried about giving it to your kids, then you've been living under a rock for the last 3 months. 

You can pass it to your kid who passes it to their schoolmates/teachers who passes it to their parents and grandparents

8 hours ago, CDAK said:

How in the fuck can you prove where you got it?

What if you went to HEB the day before your kids game?

There is no way to prove where you contacted the virus accurately.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

There are 100 m&ms in the bowl. Two of them are poison and will kill you. Would you eat one?

Would you eat one if the odds were one in 250,000 & by choosing not to would dramatically change the life by which you’ve earned & come to appreciate?

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Back on subject, if football is played this fall with or without fans, this virus will infect college players who in turn can infect family, coaches, others. Is Alabama really going to risk killing Nick Saban? 

Counterpoint: Nick Saban is an android that can never die.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Back on subject, if football is played this fall with or without fans, this virus will infect college players who in turn can infect family, coaches, others. Is Alabama really going to risk killing Nick Saban? 

Dude, give it up. The virus is not deadly for Nick Saban, anymore than the any other Covid virus would be for Nick Saban.

With sophisticated testing and tracing you would be able to find patterns. Say 20 UT football players and coaches tested positive. Then 30 people with direct contact to 5 of the players get it and 1 dies, it wouldn’t take much to put two and two together.

17 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

How about this.....

There are 100 m&ms in the bowl. Two of them are poison and might make you sick (might not) and could even kill you. Would you eat one M&M from the bowl if it meant living a normal life and going back to what you enjoy most?

I think this is the more legitimate question.

Edited by gecko

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Explain, please.

Kids are barely affected by covid, if at all. If you're worried about giving it to your kid, you haven't been paying attention. If you have it, your kids shouldn't be visiting your elderly parents anyways so it really doesn't matter if you give it to them or not. 

3 minutes ago, gecko said:

How about this.....

There are 100 m&ms in the bowl. Two of them are poison and might make you sick (might not) and could even kill you. Would you eat one M&M from the bowl if it meant living a normal life and going back to what you enjoy most?

I think this is the more legitimate question.

or maybe ....

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Here is the nightmare scenario. Somehow, one asymptomatic kid slips through. Then, 23 Texas football players test positive. One student athlete has a genetic immunity issue that has never been diagnosed. That young man dies. Slam dunk lawsuit. Devestating consequences for Texas athletics. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Kids are barely affected by covid, if at all. If you're worried about giving it to your kid, you haven't been paying attention. If you have it, your kids shouldn't be visiting your elderly parents anyways so it really doesn't matter if you give it to them or not. 

But it's not like the chances are zero.  Kids have gotten sick and died.  It's a legitimate worry, certainly as a parent, not something completely made-up like the bullshit vaccine/autism link.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

But it's not like the chances are zero.  Kids have gotten sick and died.  It's a legitimate worry, certainly as a parent, not something completely made-up like the bullshit vaccine/autism link.

TWELVE. 

That's how many kids under the age of 15 have died from Covid in the US. It is not a legitimate worry. 

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku/data

22 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Here is the nightmare scenario. Somehow, one asymptomatic kid slips through. Then, 23 Texas football players test positive. One student athlete has a genetic immunity issue that has never been diagnosed. That young man dies. Slam dunk lawsuit. Devestating consequences for Texas athletics. 

lol.

You need to study up on sovereign immunity.

Alabama has already paid off the virus. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2