College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

1918 Football game.....

Unknown-1.jpeg

What was stadium capacity in 1918? Like 350 people? 

They also didn’t start until October and only played 3-4 games in some instances. Annual rivalry games were cancelled. 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What was stadium capacity in 1918? Like 350 people? 

They also didn’t start until October and only played 3-4 games in some instances. Annual rivalry games were cancelled. 

Bigger stadiums were like 15-40k I believe.  I'm not trying to make any point with the image. Just posting an image from the pandemic era. I was surprised they didn't cancel football all together.

7 hours ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

Well, Moro Ojomo is still just 11 years old

I think you have it backwards, think of latin america baseball prospects. Moro is truly 26. 

Everyone thought Sam Acho was an old soul, we were onto this scheme long ago. It's why Manny has to act like he's 14, they can't admit to it now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He’s an immunologist 

Hmm... I see you weren't joking... This guy may actually have an idea of what he's talking about..? 

Mark Steven Schlissel (born November 24, 1957) is the president of the University of Michigan.[1] He was named the 14th president of the university on July 1, 2014, following the retirement of Mary Sue Coleman.[2][3] His initial contract with the University of Michigan lasts five years, expiring in 2019.[4] In addition to his presidency, he holds a professorship of microbiology and immunology and a professorship of internal medicine within the University of Michigan Health System as well as a professorship of molecular, cellular, and developmental biology in the University of Michigan College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

20 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Hmm... I see you weren't joking... This guy may actually have an idea of what he's talking about..? 

Why would he actually know what he is talking about? I doubt he's actually studied the virus, and even if he did, every pertinent scientist involved in Covid 19 has been wrong more than they have been right.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 2

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Why would he actually know what he is talking about? I doubt he's actually studied the virus, and even if he did, every pertinent scientist involved in Covid 19 has been wrong more than they have been right.

Good point, but (I would assume) the president at Michigan has a leg to stand on from his background... [But you make a good counterpoint]...

2 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

I dare you to step away from the keyboard and tell that to an ICU nurse working at a hospital overrun with COVID-19 patients. Maybe the hospital I work at.

Which hospital would that because there aren't many that are overrun with Covid-19 patients.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

I dare you to step away from the keyboard and tell that to an ICU nurse working at a hospital overrun with COVID-19 patients. Maybe the hospital I work at.

What a childish, emotional response to a level headed comment. 

How does an extinction level event that ushered in an ice age, compare to a disease that has a kill rate at under 0.5%? The entire premise of the comparison is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

It's really cringey to watch people try to sound smart while they just bull bullshit facts out of their ass.

So basically every person that has studied Covid-19 so far and opined about it.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, Thujone said:

To me, the best compromise is a no-fan season. Think about it: sports fans are starved for anything. We're watching all the adlibbed stuff people are putting on their twitter feeds and thinking it's pretty great. Just being able to watch the sport would be a dream. 

This way, all the players can be tested a day or two prior to each game at relatively minimal cost and they simply play in empty stadiums. The schools could even make it interactive by setting up a zoom meeting and allow in like 1000 fans or whatever the bandwidth will carry and pipe their cheering and shit-talking over the Jumbotron. Honestly I think it would be cool and at the very least an interesting experiment. And you'd get football that wouldn't create another giant disease spike.

.. and instead of a campfire, Aggy could build a roller coaster in their end zone?

19 minutes ago, Thujone said:

To me, the best compromise is a no-fan season. Think about it: sports fans are starved for anything. We're watching all the adlibbed stuff people are putting on their twitter feeds and thinking it's pretty great. Just being able to watch the sport would be a dream. 

This way, all the players can be tested a day or two prior to each game at relatively minimal cost and they simply play in empty stadiums. The schools could even make it interactive by setting up a zoom meeting and allow in like 1000 fans or whatever the bandwidth will carry and pipe their cheering and shit-talking over the Jumbotron. Honestly I think it would be cool and at the very least an interesting experiment. And you'd get football that wouldn't create another giant disease spike.

Or even better, you just stay at home, and other people can make choices based on evidence and data. There has been no data that supports mass infection from people interacting outside. You are more likely to get Covid from being inside than being outside.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Ah yes, the old evidence and data argument backed up by little evidence or data. How about we settle this like gentlemen and wait two weeks to see what happens in Missouri, after this weekend's outdoors debauched revelry at Lake of the Ozarks? 

Or better yet, we can look at Florida, who has beaches opened for weeks without tragedy striking again.

Ah yes, the old evidence and data argument backed up by little evidence or data. How about we settle this like gentlemen and wait two weeks to see what happens in Missouri, after this weekend's outdoors debauched revelry at Lake of the Ozarks? 

Why wait 2 weeks? Remember the horrifying bar scenes from Wisconsin after their Supreme Court lifted their sanctions? Their 7 day average of cases is basically flat

Well, if outside is safe and the inside of bars are safe, then I guess 100,000 people aren't dead. 

You’re telling us to wait 2 weeks because you’re so excited to potentially tell us we’re wrong about Missouri’s future outbreak. All I said was 2 weeks ago we were all jaw dropped from Wisconsin’s bar pics and nothing spiked. Sorry that hasn’t panned out for you so far

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Outbreaks take more than two weeks to show up in the data. But even if they never show up, that's not a green light to pretend there's no danger in crowding together among strangers. It doesn't have to look like Queens, Ecuador or Bergamo, Italy for local governments to impose strong restrictions on crowds.

• Like 3

This is what is called a straw-man argument. I am not excited for an outbreak. That's idiotic. I am offering up a way for us to vet the positions taken by myself and my scholarly colleague, HTown, through the powers of observation. 

You know it’s ok to question or not believe some of things that the experts tell us. Remember the 200k case days and 3k death days the cdc modeled earlier this month for early June? We’re pumping out the lowest deaths a day we’ve seen since March.

There’ll probably be a weekend holiday lag tomorrow/Wednesday so I expect the numbers this week to be a little higher than last. But we’re not exactly trending towards that 3k number.

Should there be sudden spikes in Georgia, Texas, North Dakota Wisconsin and Florida? Yea. Maybe it’s a really deadly virus for a small minority of people and the majority of us will never even know we had it and there’s a hell of a lot of asymptomatic or previous asymptomatic carriers than we imagined? Perhaps the ones with severe sickness or moderate are a minority of cases but they certainly see the click bait headlines.
  • Like 1

What's your point? Before, it seemed to be in response to my suggestion of a fanless football season. Which would undeniably put fewer people at risk than stadiums packed with drunk fans in close proximity. You seem to understand that point, so I don't know what your problem is. 

My point is we keep waiting “2 weeks” for certain places to turn into epicenters is a waste of everybody’s time. Are you really going to come back in early June and say Missouri had a 2.5% bump in new cases, must’ve been due to that large gathering at a lake? No you’re not.

There won’t be fans going to football games not because they’re sick...but because the majority of NFL fans and CFB fans aren’t going to want to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars to go to games if they don’t have jobs.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

My point is we keep waiting “2 weeks” for certain places to turn into epicenters is a waste of everybody’s time. Are you really going to come back in early June and say Missouri had a 2.5% bump in new cases, must’ve been due to that large gathering at a lake? No you’re not.

There won’t be fans going to football games not because they’re sick...but because the majority of NFL fans and CFB fans aren’t going to want to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars to go to games if they don’t have jobs.

spacer.png

18 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

I prefer that my chosen healthcare providers indulge in facts vs emotions, but to each their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Nahlin said this morning he’s hearing 30-40k in attendance with a lottery for tickets.

That sounds like a reasonable starting point, if no spike in cases, by game 6 of season, an additional 30,000 fans may attend..?

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Nahlin said this morning he’s hearing 30-40k in attendance with a lottery for tickets.

Any mention of opening all the lots, so we can tailgate ( of course at a safe socal distance, with masks and full body condoms if necessary)? Asking for friends who like to dine, drink and drink in parking lots.

Edited by Wally Fairway

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

There's a huge difference in being outdoors at a beach and a tightly packed in stadium where everyone is screaming, cheering, high fiving, and congregating in tiny concourses and bathrooms. A Champions League match in Italy in mid-February has been pointed to as the epicenter of infections in the region of Italy that fans of both clubs travelled to so they could attend the match. Unless something dramatically changes, there won't be fan attended games this year. 

Stay at home, don't high five, wear a mask. It's your personal choice, I have one as well. Yours doesn't supersede anyone else's.

Predicting what things will look like in 4 months is a fools errand at this point.  Case in point - 4 months ago coronavirus wasn’t even a talking point in mainstream news. Since then we’ve had it’s a hoax, 2m expected deaths, to flatten the curve, to slowly reopening.  

In another 4 months I could see us back in an even stricter lockdown, to fully open, and everything in between.  Hopefully people are planning for stuff like football to be open so at least there is a chance. There is no need to cancel it now or announce limitations this far out. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

My personal choice? This has nothing to do with what I personally want. The programs aren't allowing fans in unless the science and risk factor tells them it's fine and we're a long ways off before anyone is going to make that call. Same reason the Germans haven't allowed fans back for Bundesliga games. It has nothing to do with my choice. It has everything to do with coming back in a fashion that's safe for all involved. I get you want this to magically go away but that's not reality. 

Well, lucky for HtownHorn, he’s never operated in reality ,and he’s sure as hell not going to start now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I only side with experts when they agree with my preconceived opinion.

Welcome to everywhere, 2020 AD. I knew as soon as haircuts became a political issue that the last tiny sliver of hope that humanity had any ability left for rational conversation was doomed. Oh well, at least we're not talking about whether the gold standard would be good or bad for football.

• Like 8