College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

48 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Welcome to everywhere, 2020 AD. I knew as soon as haircuts became a political issue that the last tiny sliver of hope that humanity had any ability left for rational conversation was doomed. Oh well, at least we're not talking about whether the gold standard would be good or bad for football.

Actually, we sort of have.  It was related to oil prices and how THAT might affect college football... :)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I was told that when Georgia and Florida opened up they would turn into NYC 2.0... many weeks later and the goalposts have moved again

That you think the goalposts should and do stay in one place reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of the discussion. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Thujone said:

Except that your "choice" may spread disease and affect other people. Choice guy.

19 hours ago, mdmost said:

My personal choice? This has nothing to do with what I personally want. The programs aren't allowing fans in unless the science and risk factor tells them it's fine and we're a long ways off before anyone is going to make that call. Same reason the Germans haven't allowed fans back for Bundesliga games. It has nothing to do with my choice. It has everything to do with coming back in a fashion that's safe for all involved. I get you want this to magically go away but that's not reality. 

Yeah I keep hearing this same shit about people's 'choice'. Well, their choice not to wear masks at HEB, not to distance, not to stay home from the football game, etc, etc affects a whole lot more people than just them. Still they continue to frame it as if their 'choice' only puts them at risk and restricting that choice is some kind of assault on their civil liberties.

Selfish, and a bit nauseating, but completely predictable.

• Like 6

Iowa State is making plans to go with 50% capacity at Jack Trice Stadium this season. Seems you'll have to be a season ticket holder to get into any game.

50 percent guideline means no single-game ticket purchases for Iowa State football

Randy Peterson, Des Moines RegisterPublished 11:13 a.m. CT May 26, 2020 | Updated 11:44 a.m. CT May 26, 2020

The safest way to assure a seat at Iowa State football games inside Jack Trice Stadium this fall is to purchase a season ticket. The sale of single-game tickets for 2020 is unlikely.

“Because we expect to reach the 50 percent capacity limitation through season ticket sales, we do not anticipate selling single-game tickets unless the capacity limits are raised,” athletics director Jamie Pollard announced Tuesday in a message to fans on Iowa State’s website.

Pollard said “approximately” 22,000 season tickets had been renewed for the 2020 season that’s scheduled to start Sept. 5 against South Dakota. Because of strict social-distancing guidelines following the coronavirus pandemic, the 60,500-seat stadium will seat 30,000.

“That leaves us approximately 8,000 seats to be filled,” Pollard said in the statement. "Those guidelines may be adjusted as time passes. Right now, we are planning as though the capacity of our stadium would be limited to 30,000 spectators.”

Menacing clouds roll over Jack Trice Stadium during a weather delay on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019. (Photo: Bryon Houlgrave, The Register)

Pollard’s letter also states that:

“The only fans who will have the opportunity to be in the stadium this fall are those who renew their season tickets and their required Cyclone Club donation (if applicable) by June 12, 2020.” He urges fans to “please contact our staff ASAP to complete those processes.”

The statement re-emphasized something Pollard said on last week’s virtual Cyclone tailgate tour — that fans not renewing 2020 season tickets will have first rights on their seats for 2021.

“We believe it is very important to honor prior loyalty, as there may be some fans who are not comfortable attending games this fall, or are experiencing financial challenges,” Pollard’s letter to fans states.

Hundreds of people pack into the set of ESPN's "College GameDay" before the Iowa vs. Iowa State football game on Saturday, Sep. 14, 2019, outside of Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa. (Photo: Kelsey Kremer/The Register)

The athletics director also outlines ways for fans who determine it unsafe to attend games after already renewing their 2020 season tickets. Pollard said those fans may request a refund of their season tickets, or defer their season ticket to next season.

“We want to assure you that our staff is working to make the game day environment as safe as possible,” Pollard wrote. “After consulting with campus officials, we have concluded there is no reasonable way to guarantee that no one will contract the COVID-19 virus. Trying to adhere to a standard of absolute protection is simply not reasonable. We would either be held accountable for being far too restrictive or, more likely, not restrictive enough.

“We will establish, and eventually communicate the mitigation measures that we will implement this fall. Those decisions are currently in the development stage and will be evaluated and tweaked as we learn more about the virus in the coming weeks.

“It will ultimately be up to each attendee to decide whether they are comfortable attending games given the mitigation strategies, we will implement. That decision will remain a personal choice that all attendees need to make.”

On 5/25/2020 at 10:46 AM, Thujone said:

Ah yes, the old evidence and data argument backed up by little evidence or data. How about we settle this like gentlemen and wait two weeks to see what happens in Missouri, after this weekend's outdoors debauched revelry at Lake of the Ozarks? 

Can we see what the data looks like after over a month in Georgia?

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

4 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

I don't claim to know much about ISU but I'm a little taken back that there are only 22k season ticket holders.  Maybe because the undecided did not renew?  

Big drop from last season.  Saw it somewhere, but don't remember the exact number or where I saw it.  Last year was somewhere between 30k and 38k.

1 hour ago, TexMex Horn said:

I'm posting a Clay Travis article link from Outkick. Not going to post the article here, as it has a political bent to it, IMO. But, it is a primarily sports orientated site & could reflect reasoning for opening things up.  https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/34-states-had-higher-death-rate-from-2018-flu-than-coronavirus/ 

Yeah not reading that

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

It can pretty much be debunked from reading the url. This thread has been pretty good about letting some inevitable politics in without getting turned into whatever happened on Daily Texan forum.

Anyway, college football is definitely "opening things up" pretty much on time if the virus allows. Details will take longer than we'd like, and there will be much debate when those details are revealed (like if the SEC indeed will not test players unless they show symptoms). 

Clay Travis is an SEC mouth breathing moron who should “stick to sports” (I’ve bet he’s said that a time or two towards certain people with certain stances) 
I'd actually prefer he stick to some field I'll absolutely never have any contact with. Real estate in Slovenia or something.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Lots of things are going to happen before the NBA.  Disney World is going to be open to the public before the NBA begins their first phase of training camp.

Also the place they want to put them up is a shit hole 

11 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

101 days till USF @ Texas! Just believe!

Hellz yeah, I'll be there!!! *

*in front of my TV

*watching the two kids play a computer-simulated football game

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I was told that when Georgia and Florida opened up they would turn into NYC 2.0... many weeks later and the goalposts have moved again

I never said that.  I said it would be safer with more testing and tracing.  I’ve maintained the real hell comes in fall/winter if they stay all open.  But unlike many others, I’d be happy to be wrong.  

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Green screen the stands, and change the background every game.

Today Bama takes on Ol Miss in spaaaaaaaaace.......  with special guests... the craaaaaab neeeeeebula.....and Orions belt..

Every aggy home game crowd background is just this

spacer.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

101 days till USF @ Texas! Just believe!

I was so looking forward to that "birkenstock wearing, mouth breathing, destroyer of football programs" Charlie Not-So returning to Austin and watching the absolutely puzzled look on his dumb ass face when we hang 80 points on his dumbass team.  But ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Obviously, I still have PTSD ... Post Traumatic Strong Disorder.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

I was so looking forward to that "birkenstock wearing, mouth breathing, destroyer of football programs" Charlie Not-So returning to Austin and watching the absolutely puzzled look on his dumb ass face when we hang 80 points on his dumbass team.  But ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Obviously, I still have PTSD ... Post Traumatic Strong Disorder.

Tom “the anti hammer” Herman would probably go up 35-10 on them in the 3rd and win 38-24. Let’s be real. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

with a clumsy eleven-play, 46-yard drive to kick a game-winning field goal too

the only thing that gets me madder than half the COVID posts around here is thinking about that fucking Kansas game last year

GOD DAMNIT. The only good thing about that game was it was happening simultaneously as the Altuve ALCS walkoff against the Yankees

• Like 1