College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

In the Bayern/Dortmund game they piped in crowd noise which made the television viewing much more enjoyable. I’m not sure I would enjoy going to a game in person at DKR where only one if every three or four seats is occupied. The crowd energy is what makes the live aspect so appealing. If it feels like a Florida Marlins crowd I’m pretty sure I would rather stay at home. But maybe for some that is more appealing. 

9 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

They can blame opposing coaches or TV hosts but their very own elected leaders created most of the doubt about California being able to play football. You know, when they went on record saying football was not going to happen. Just going out on a limb and suggesting that is where that notion came from. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

They can blame opposing coaches or TV hosts but their very own elected leaders created most of the doubt about California being able to play football. You know, when they went on record saying football was not going to happen. Just going out on a limb and suggesting that is where that notion came from. 

Serious question.  I remember the CSU system stating they wouldn't have students in the fall and that would impact sports, but was there some other announcement?

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Serious question.  I remember the CSU system stating they wouldn't have students in the fall and that would impact sports, but was there some other announcement?

I mean, Newsom said there won't be normal football (no fans) in April.  And in May, said again he doesn't see how they can have fans without a vaccine. 

Pretty sure he never said the state of California would just not play football, period.  But I'm open to an actual source that doesn't have a stupid political bent.  

• Like 1

Why couldn't fans that think they have had COVID already get two antibody tests and if both turn out positive be allowed to purchase and attend games? I mean, you are immune, and will not infect anyone, what is the point of keeping them away? Make them wear special "I survived the Coronavirus" Burnt Orange t-shirts so no one gets wigged out if they sit within 6 feet of them. Might add another 3-4000 fans to the stadium. I would pay to get tested, then cough up $100 a ticket to sit anywhere I want.

CHIEF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

LOL, David Shaw 2 weeks ago sure seemed like he wasn't sure they'd play.....

In that discussion, the West Coast has never looked more left out.

"We're in never never land," said Stanford coach David Shaw. "We don't know what's going to happen. My hope is the majority of universities can participate so we can have a real season."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12-mountain-west-in-danger-of-being-left-behind-if-college-football-returns-to-play-in-2020/

Edited by Don Johnson

54 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Why couldn't fans that think they have had COVID already get two antibody tests and if both turn out positive be allowed to purchase and attend games? I mean, you are immune, and will not infect anyone, what is the point of keeping them away? Make them wear special "I survived the Coronavirus" Burnt Orange t-shirts so no one gets wigged out if they sit within 6 feet of them. Might add another 3-4000 fans to the stadium. I would pay to get tested, then cough up $100 a ticket to sit anywhere I want.

CHIEF

Uh, popping positive-even twice-on a 50% reliable antibody test still doesn’t reliably mean you have antibodies; and if you do, that doesn’t mean you’re immune to another infection.  Personally, I’d love to be immune via (probably only partially reliable) vaccine or a mild case and antibodies, but until i know a whole lot more, I’m not headed into the stadium with 100,000 of my closest friends.......

10 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

I was so looking forward to that "birkenstock wearing, mouth breathing, destroyer of football programs" Charlie Not-So returning to Austin and watching the absolutely puzzled look on his dumb ass face when we hang 80 points on his dumbass team.  But ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Obviously, I still have PTSD ... Post Traumatic Strong Disorder.

If I'm reminded of Charlie Strong, I just think of this gif and it cracks me up. Ignore the stuff that came after

charliestrongblazzingsadles.gif

• Like 8

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Tom is the only coach that could be up 35-10 in the 3rd and somehow squeak out a win at 27-24.

In some ways he’s Mack Brown part 2. How many games did he win on the last play with a field goal? Especially the big ones. It’s like Mack wanted those last minute heroics. 

Back on subject, if football is played this fall with or without fans, this virus will infect college players who in turn can infect family, coaches, others. Is Alabama really going to risk killing Nick Saban? 
Satan will not allow this before all Sabans obligations are fullfilled..and since he's still coaching we have to assume there are s couple things left.

Guest Lobo

This has to be a good sign---Big XII called a board meeting of member Presidents this morning.  UT's says it's to discuss, in part, how to have games on schedule.  

12 hours ago, Brandywine said:

In some ways he’s Mack Brown part 2. How many games did he win on the last play with a field goal? Especially the big ones. It’s like Mack wanted those last minute heroics. 

I don't really see those two things as similar. Mack's last minute FG stuff generally wasn't Kansas 2019 stuff. It did happen here and there against teams we were far superior than, like 2009 Nebraska or 2007 Oklahoma State after the huge comeback, but there were plenty of those late game heroics when we were the underdog or even money (1998 A&M, the Michigan Rose Bowl, etc). 

The Kansas game we were bitching about was just about the worst of all worlds. One, we were supposedly way better. Two, we had two solid leads (14-3 and 40-30) get away from us. Three it was FUCKING KANSAS, you would think Herman's antenna would be up after Strong's 2016 debacle. Four, the two point conversion for fuck's sake.

Sorry, still a little steamed about it.

Kansas notwithstanding we manage to go on and slap Utah around the Alamodome.  I'm not excusing or pumping...it's more of a WTF thing for me....

After stomping on highly ranked opponents 2 years running in bowl games you have to wonder what we're capable of under Herman if we ever get into the playoff.

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

another alternative plan many of you may have heard about.  1/3 capacity at DKR this August-November.  each LHF/season ticket holder would get their seats for 2 home games so that each donor/buyer goes in 1/3rd rotation & 1/3 capacity and it splits up nicely.  Concessions, catering, parking, etc. has already developed a gameday plan around that working assumption.  NOt sure about pre-game.  

Since it's come up a lot on this thread, here's how one epidemiologist would deploy testing. I don't think most of the country has this kind of access to testing yet, and it may be more expensive than the $50 per test noted in the article. But by September it may be realistic.

Rutherford has a plan for all that, too, and shared it with the Hotline.

The head coach undoubtedly would want the tests administered on Monday, in order to know as early as possible which players are available in a given week.

But that timing doesn’t work with the virus’ incubation cycle.

According to Rutherford, it takes three days for someone who has been exposed to the virus to start shedding it (i.e., become contagious).

So testing players 72 hours before kickoff (Wednesday afternoon or evening) would be ideal for Saturday games.

At the same time, an exposed individual could become contagious 36 hours after testing negative — so testing only on Wednesday wouldn’t be enough.

Players would need to be tested again Saturday morning, Rutherford said, to ensure that no viral shedding would occur on game day from players who tested negative in the middle of the week.

(The timing of the Saturday tests would depend on the turnaround time for results and the kickoff time.)

“From a physiological standpoint, you’d need to do it as close to the game as possible,’’ he said.

Test them Wednesday afternoon, test them again Saturday morning — and the windows for contagion should be slammed shut on game day.

Add a test on Monday morning to cover early-week interactions in meetings and practice, and full containment could be possible.

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You can always count on 4th&Five for the concern trolling. 

“Concern trolling” bc it doesn’t fit your agenda.  They have to test everyone when they return to campus or it’s going to spread. 

Or what, who cares until some fat or old coach ends up in ICU? (Or fat and old, like Mack) 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

“Concern trolling” bc it doesn’t fit your agenda.  They have to test everyone when they return to campus or it’s going to spread. 

Or what, who cares until some fat or old coach ends up in ICU? (Or fat and old, like Mack) 

Do we really have to recall this thread and go over which posts aged well and which ones did not? My agenda is being right and following the data. Others have different agendas apparently. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

what's the agenda of that post?  it's an article that interviewed doctors and college football coaches about testing players in order to try to play a season safely.  

The agenda is to elicit an emotional response from  the reader in order to drive clicks. Readers who are already predisposed to be concerned about the issue mainly. That's the agenda. If it does not age well or proves to be wrong, then oh well. Clicks were generated. 

• Like 3