College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

42 minutes ago, ousux said:

Not wrong for you to think that, but unlees a vaccine drops in the next two months or so..wishful thinking at best.

I’d give those odds a little more respect.  

It’s very likely by August 1st less than 15,000 healthy Americans under the age of 64 have died by C-19.   With all respect to every life, one either is in denial of our economic future or relativity in general if you think it’s “wishful thinking” for a packed house come September.

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

Is it wrong for me to think that now we will have a packed house come game 1?

We aren’t aggy. We have intelligent people in charge of the university/system, not some sheep fucker. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:46 AM, Thujone said:

Ah yes, the old evidence and data argument backed up by little evidence or data. How about we settle this like gentlemen and wait two weeks to see what happens in Missouri, after this weekend's outdoors debauched revelry at Lake of the Ozarks? 

It's been 13 days since the pool party event that took place. Missouri's Covid data is lagged 3 days so we have the pool party 10 days later. The maximum incubation is 14 days but the majority of symptoms people show signs 7 days or less. 

And the daily rate of new cases in Missouri is down to 1.3%. 

http://mophep.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=8e01a5d8d8bd4b4f85add006f9e14a9d

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Goodman said:

Is it wrong for me to think that now we will have a packed house come game 1?

I mean, there'd be 10,000+ empty seats for a game against USF with a temperature of 100 degrees at kickoff anyway.

But the general trend appears to be 25-50 percent capacity, particularly from what I've seen among Big 12 schools, which is particularly relevant because I'd imagine there is going to be some level of coordination. So no, I wouldn't expect full crowds. I am kind of surprised they're entertaining any level of fans in the fall. Money talks.

16 minutes ago, Parliament said:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020/06/114412/ohio-state-hopes-and-intends-to-have-football-season-with-fans

be08a4f2df20329ff242ae74e5fd760a.jpg

If they don't let Texas play football, we'd be glad to have you as t shirt fans.

They could cancel the next 10 seasons before I'd even consider being an Ohio State t-shirt fan.

Besides, Texas and the Big 12 have made it clear they're going to try to play at this point.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Veerbone said:

It’s very likely by August 1st less than 15,000 healthy Americans under the age of 64 have died by C-19.   With all respect to every life, one either is in denial of our economic future or relativity in general if you think it’s “wishful thinking” for a packed house come September.

I think you're disregarding some very important details here, the most obvious being that the scientific reason behind not having mass gatherings is to slow/control the spread of the virus.  Sure, we can hope everyone who comes to the game is under 60.  But that doesn't stop them from contracting it in a stadium full of people and then spreading it to the unassuming  restaurant patron 2-days later, or to their professor.

More directly football related--there are more than 15 Division 1 head coaches over the age of 60.  Big names.  Nick Saban. Mack Brown.  Les Miles.  Not to mention assistant coaches and gameday support staff.  It's not just a bunch of 18-22 yr olds running around out there.

Furthermore, and this is more prevalent in college football than any other sport, people travel from large distances every week to see their teams play.  Hell, I fly in from Mexico for home games.  Not to mention visiting fans from other states.  

I've been on a call with, let's just say a high ranking member of a Top Tier FBS University's Chancellor's office, and there is a lot going on behind the scenes.  So many scenarios.  So many contingencies.  What if there's an outbreak within the K-State football team after week 3?  Do they quarantine for 2 weeks, and only play a 9-game schedule?  What if California doesn't allow gatherings of more than 30 people, so no California team can even practice?  Do big schools push to have the season start Oct 1 instead, in hopes of having more fans in the stands on gameday, and still having time to fit in a full schedule? All states aren't equal.  All conferences aren't equal.  It's currently a clusterfuck, with a lot of unanswered questions.

But as of today, yes, it's wishful thinking that we'll have a packed house come Sept 5.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Governor said:

I think you're disregarding some very important details here, the most obvious being that the scientific reason behind not having mass gatherings is to slow/control the spread of the virus.  Sure, we can hope everyone who comes to the game is under 60.  But that doesn't stop them from contracting it in a stadium full of people and then spreading it to the unassuming  restaurant patron 2-days later, or to their professor.

More directly football related--there are more than 15 Division 1 head coaches over the age of 60.  Big names.  Nick Saban. Mack Brown.  Les Miles.  Not to mention assistant coaches and gameday support staff.  It's not just a bunch of 18-22 yr olds running around out there.

Furthermore, and this is more prevalent in college football than any other sport, people travel from large distances every week to see their teams play.  Hell, I fly in from Mexico for home games.  Not to mention visiting fans from other states.  

I've been on a call with, let's just say a high ranking member of a Top Tier FBS University's Chancellor's office, and there is a lot going on behind the scenes.  So many scenarios.  So many contingencies.  What if there's an outbreak within the K-State football team after week 3?  Do they quarantine for 2 weeks, and only play a 9-game schedule?  What if California doesn't allow gatherings of more than 30 people, so no California team can even practice?  Do big schools push to have the season start Oct 1 instead, in hopes of having more fans in the stands on gameday, and still having time to fit in a full schedule? All states aren't equal.  All conferences aren't equal.  It's currently a clusterfuck, with a lot of unanswered questions.

But as of today, yes, it's wishful thinking that we'll have a packed house come Sept 5.

I think you are disregarding the effects of the economy & the impact relative to the risk.

Tough situation & PC leveraged as no one wants to make that decision, but the options must be weighed out.  Right now the scales are heavily tilted in one direction.

• Fuck You 1

I'm not disregarding the economics at all.  In fact I specifically mentioned what is actually being discussed amongst the 15-20 biggest programs out there--which is delaying the start of the season only to allow for more people to be in the stands.  100K seats in DKR @ $100/pop is a cool $10mm per game even before concessions and parking.  They are very aware of the economics, as am I.  

Much like Ford with the Pinto and it's poorly-located gas tank, Universities are keenly aware of potential lawsuits awaiting them.  This is both a health and business decision for them.

The scales are certainly tilted in the direction of us having at least some football this Fall, but they certainly aren't tilted anywhere towards packed houses the first week of September.  A lot can change in three months, but that is the current state of affairs.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

I think you are disregarding the effects of the economy

Leaders of universities and college athletic departments are not concerned with the economy. That is not their job. They are concerned with the economics of operating their institutions and programs, but the overall economy means very little to them in this sense.

• Like 4

I'm not disregarding the economics at all.  In fact I specifically mentioned what is actually being discussed amongst the 15-20 biggest programs out there--which is delaying the start of the season only to allow for more people to be in the stands.  100K seats in DKR @ $100/pop is a cool $10mm per game even before concessions and parking.  They are very aware of the economics, as am I.  
Much like Ford with the Pinto and it's poorly-located gas tank, Universities are keenly aware of potential lawsuits awaiting them.  This is both a health and business decision for them.

The scales are certainly tilted in the direction of us having at least some football this Fall, but they certainly aren't tilted anywhere towards packed houses the first week of September.  A lot can change in three months, but that is the current state of affairs.

That’s where I’m at. I’m all for a delay if that means the stadiums are full.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This. Honestly, the novelty of a one-time spring season sounds kind of cool. It would not only save the LSU away game experience, it would actually make it better because swampass would be greatly reduced in February. That idea seems dead though. Wompwomp.

Edit: I don't know why but I didn't originally read these posts as talking about a delay into the fall. There is at least some expectation of a second COVID surge in the fall. You already have UT ending in-person classes at Thanksgiving. Seems odd to push the season further into that window.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Wait, are we still talking about COVID-19? That shit is so 1 week ago.

I was wondering the same thing...

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Oklahoma State LB says he tested positive for coronavirus after attending protest in Tulsa

https://sports.yahoo.com/oklahoma-state-lb-says-he-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-after-attending-protest-in-tulsa-012621944.html

But surly doesn't miss much...very next post ties the protests right in.  

45 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I agree.  I think football and college hoops at the same time in Spring would be badass.  The virus is clearly weaker in the summer.  I've said it for a while - it was an educated guess but it's turning out to be right.  The problem is unless it's eradicated by fall or we have a vaccine, science says it will flare up.  That's how all coronaviruses act.  So waiting until we have a vaccine and getting it all in with at least a lot of fans if not a packed house would be best imo.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Leaders of universities and college athletic departments are not concerned with the economy. That is not their job. They are concerned with the economics of operating their institutions and programs, but the overall economy means very little to them in this sense.

Open your mind to the possibility, if not prepare that you are horrifically on the wrong side of this.

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

Open your mind to the possibility, if not prepare that you are horrifically on the wrong side of this.

In the past five months, I guarantee we've all been horrifically wrong about something, so I am certainly prepared for the possibility.

I just don't see university presidents, ADs, conference leadership, etc. thinking "You know, it's really not in our best interests to move forward, but damn the broader economy could really use our contribution." Or, conversely, "This is not in our best interests the but the economy appears to be picking up and we have no choice." They are going to do what is in the best interests of their institutions and organizations, bottom line. Even if it was the opposite, for argument's sake - "Man we really feel like we can play but the economy sucks." That just doesn't seem realistic.

How much a given school's or conference's or whoever's best interests are tied into the overall economic landscape is debatable and varies between each party, but that's kind f a seperate discussion. If what you mean to say is that they are going to feel immense financial pressure to have a season, then obviously that's true. But that's not what was written, hence my response.

I agree.  I think football and college hoops at the same time in Spring would be badass.  The virus is clearly weaker in the summer.  I've said it for a while - it was an educated guess but it's turning out to be right.  The problem is unless it's eradicated by fall or we have a vaccine, science says it will flare up.  That's how all coronaviruses act.  So waiting until we have a vaccine and getting it all in with at least a lot of fans if not a packed house would be best imo.  

I wouldn’t be able to handle a college football Saturday / March madness round 2. I’d have died and gone to heaven and missed it all
  • Like 1

All the rioting crap nationwide has really let us know where “Covid-19” stands. It’s been pretty silent during this riouts shit. Wear a mask - don’t wear a mask!

It “might” all blossom into the “second wave” or we might finally realize it was just a giant “hoax”.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

40 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  You’re a fucking moron if you think it was a hoax.  

I don't think that many people truly believe COVID-19 is a hoax. Yes, there are some, and yes, they are morons. I do think there are many who believe the continued lock-downs, and the continued fear-mongering at this point, borders on a "hoax." I think that informed people have stopped listening to anything coming from the WHO. I can tell you from personal experience, living in Hollywood, that there is suddenly zero talk of social distancing or preventing "large gatherings." Now, once the protests slow in the next few days, I expect a return to the "lock-down" discussions. I expect the "experts" to continue to say we can't have sports with fans. But if there isn't a large surge in symptomatic cases from these huge groups of people gathering and screaming together for hours at a time, there will genuinely be very little to support preventing sports with fans in the stands come September. 

• Like 4

All the rioting crap nationwide has really let us know where “Covid-19” stands. It’s been pretty silent during this riouts shit. Wear a mask - don’t wear a mask!

It “might” all blossom into the “second wave” or we might finally realize it was just a giant “hoax”.
Hoax, seriously? The familes of those who died wish it was a hoax. As for the effectiveness of lockdowns, especially the states who extended it out to what may be an excessively long time, that can be debated...as well as the fatality rate not being anywhere near projections. Is that due to the lockdowns? Maybe, maybe not..but two things are sure, the virus is real, and the WHO has been pretty much worthless for this pandemic..and may have made it worse by repeating Chinese propaganda to the entire world.
  • Like 5

Interesting discussion on delaying until the spring. It looks like now there is a much better chance we can have a mass produced vaccine by the end of the year. I could easily see the argument of waiting until Feb 1 to start a season with 100% fan attendance in that event. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-vaccine-anthony-fauci-hundred-million-doses-2021/

Edited by Newy25

8 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I don't think that many people truly believe COVID-19 is a hoax. Yes, there are some, and yes, they are morons. I do think there are many who believe the continued lock-downs, and the continued fear-mongering at this point, borders on a "hoax." I think that informed people have stopped listening to anything coming from the WHO. I can tell you from personal experience, living in Hollywood, that there is suddenly zero talk of social distancing or preventing "large gatherings." Now, once the protests slow in the next few days, I expect a return to the "lock-down" discussions. I expect the "experts" to continue to say we can't have sports with fans. But if there isn't a large surge in symptomatic cases from these huge groups of people gathering and screaming together for hours at a time, there will genuinely be very little to support preventing sports with fans in the stands come September. 

Sure.  I can give a million reasons you’d question things.  I never backed any model because I saw how quickly things change.  Also, viruses (especially coronaviruses) are weaker in summer.  But all these issues that threw others predictions off are far from a fucking hoax.  Medicine has come a long ways and of all the professions out there it’s about as evidence based as it gets - but it’s going to be off anytime something new affects the masses, meaning not perfect, and maybe far from perfect.  But next time you or a family severely injure yourself / get cancer etc you’re going to the doctor...there’s a reason for that - we don’t do hoaxes.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sejjr said:

This is correct. The pivot from the MSM and Hollywood should tell you everything you need to know. Hell there are pictures of medical personnel wearing PPE outside to support the demonstrations. The reaction to the virus has been a fucking joke.

Was talking to a hoaxer yesterday. Amazing thought process going on there. 

Now if you want to say the fear of reopening is caused by a nanny state mentality, I can go with that. Fucking mayor of Chicago took down all the basketball hoops citywide. Seriously. 

If this comes back in fall as experts expect, I bet the best case is football gets going and then comes to a screeching halt in October. Kind of a worst case scenario. It sucks. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Governor said:

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What would pushing the season back to October 1 even accomplished, though? How much would honestly change regarding seating capacity in less than 30 days? If California isn’t allowing gatherings of more than 30 people in August/July, is there any reason to think they will in September? 

It seems to me you either open on time with some places being at less than full capacity due to their state’s law or you push the whole thing to the spring in hopes of having all CFB teams with full stadiums for the whole season. These schools and the ADs need their full football revenue to operate, so I would understand that, but I don’t see the point in waiting til 10/1. That seems like an arbitrary date that wouldn’t accomplish anything. 

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Interesting discussion on delaying until the spring. It looks like now there is a much better chance we can have a mass produced vaccine by the end of the year. I could easily see the argument of waiting until Feb 1 to start a season with 100% fan attendance in that event. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-vaccine-anthony-fauci-hundred-million-doses-2021/

I struggle to believe the SEC and some other schools would be willing to wait even if there was going to be a vaccine ready by January 2021, but if there is significant progress on a vaccine come late July, it would definitely  make sense to wait til the Spring if it could be ready by then. 

I've asked this question, I'm sure others have, and I'm sure it will get louder as we get closer, but...

How can we rationalize protecting the predominately white fans in the stand with social distancing while allowing the predominately black players be as close as humanly possible day after day just to entertain the predominately white fans?   

In the NFL, the union will likely agree to take the risk so the players can go to work and get paid.  In college....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

I've asked this question, I'm sure others have, and I'm sure it will get louder as we get closer, but...

How can we rationalize protecting the predominately white fans in the stand with social distancing while allowing the predominately black players be as close as humanly possible day after day just to entertain the predominately white fans?   

In the NFL, the union will likely agree to take the risk so the players can go to work and get paid.  In college....

Well, for one, we’re not that worried about the college players direct risk. Guys in that age group are not really taking much of a risk based on what we know at this time.  

The primary risk is spread in communities, which is why colleges have talked about taking measures to isolate players and test them often to see if they’re a risk for spread. Testing all the fans at every game before and after isn’t feasible, so you stop the risk of spread through social distancing. 

On top of that, college players aren’t just playing to “entertain predominantly white fans.” Many of them are building their career so they can play in the NFL and make millions. Other love the game and would want to play regardless. Most of these guys are already training in close proximity to other people right now anyways. I don’t think you’re going to find many cases of a CFB player who’s uncomfortable with the situation or refuses to play. 

I do agree, though, that requiring them to play with some increased risk factors and restrictions on their personal freedom while having rules in place that don’t allow them to receive full compensation is messed up and immoral, but we already knew that about the NCAA/college athletics, and I don’t think corona virus changes the equation that much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well, for one, we’re not that worried about the college players direct risk. Guys in that age group are not really taking much of a risk based on what we know at this time.  

The primary risk is spread in communities, which is why colleges have talked about taking measures to isolate players and test them often to see if they’re a risk for spread. Testing all the fans at every game before and after isn’t feasible, so you stop the risk of spread through social distancing. 

On top of that, college players aren’t just playing to “entertain predominantly white fans.” Many of them are building their career so they can play in the NFL and make millions. Other love the game and would want to play regardless. Most of these guys are already training in close proximity to other people right now anyways. I don’t think you’re going to find many cases of a CFB player who’s uncomfortable with the situation or refuses to play. 

I do agree, though, that requiring them to play with some increased risk factors and restrictions on their personal freedom while having rules in place that don’t allow them to receive full compensation is messed up and immoral, but we already knew that about the NCAA/college athletics, and I don’t think corona virus changes the equation that much. 

I bet 25% of them are legit obese.  If a single one dies, its a huge issue and the HC, AD, school and NCAA are the villain.

Once the season starts (and probably well before then) there will be no real measures to "isolate" players.  They will be living in dorms, eating in cafeterias, going out to bars, banging chicks, etc.  They are going to get it and it will spread like crazy on a football team.

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

I bet 25% of them are legit obese.  If a single one dies, its a huge issue and the HC, AD, school and NCAA are the villain.

Once the season starts (and probably well before then) there will be no real measures to "isolate" players.  They will be living in dorms, eating in cafeterias, going out to bars, banging chicks, etc.  They are going to get it and it will spread like crazy on a football team.

Most of them probably already have antibodies for it. These guys have not been social distancing this whole time. You can find workout videos of HS, College, and NFL guys working out this whole time in close proximity to other players while using  the same equipment. Coming back for organized football doesn’t make a big increase in their risk to get it, and UT is going to be open this fall, so them being in dorms, cafeteria, etc. is not a greater risk than the average student will be taking. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Most of them probably already have antibodies for it. These guys have not been social distancing this whole time. You can find workout videos of HS, College, and NFL guys working out this whole time in close proximity to other players while using  the same equipment. Coming back for organized football doesn’t make a big increase in their risk to get it, and UT is going to be open this fall, so them being in dorms, cafeteria, etc. is not a greater risk than the average student will be taking. 

Don't disagree with the actual concerns.  I do think Presidents and Chancellors will have to weigh the optics, though, especially with recent events.  And I expect a number of media members will raise the same question I asked.

22 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Holy race baiting, Batman! So many prejudicial assumptions in that statement I do not even know where to start.  But let me just tell you I know the black community likes college football and sports too. Otherwise, WTF with that post. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Holy race baiting, Batman! So many prejudicial assumptions in that statement I do not even know where to start.  But let me just tell you I know the black community likes college football and sports too. Otherwise, WTF with that post. 

And white players play football too!  But to say the team is predominately black and the crowd is predominately white is not incorrect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

If California isn’t allowing gatherings of more than 30 people in August/July, is there any reason to think they will in September? 

I guess they are just quietly exempting the groups of thousands allowed to march together side by side for the last 5 days. While most are young people, I have seen plenty of obese and higher risk types in those crowds as well. The next 2 weeks are going to be very interesting to watch in regards to COVID response. 

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Is this real?

• Like 2