College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

22 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If you feel fine you can exercise and workout as long as you’re isolated - not easy but no restriction.  

Pretty sure I've had this my entire life.

Problem currently is no one really knows, the information is new and varies depending on who is writing. I'm personally friends with 3 MD's, 1 lives in the US and none have the same read on covid.

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You're one seriously stupid son of a bitch, this has nothing to do with herd immunity you dumbfuck.  I'm a physician with hundreds of docs in my group, I run the damn thing and started it from scratch.  We run postacute networks for hospitals like Northwestern in 30+ states.  I'm pretty sure I have 'an idea' you dumb motherfucker. 

You sure do sound like a doctor and you have the blind trust of @C-Man, keep giving us your thoughts but no one should take your word for it.

You have no idea.  

USS Theodore Roosevelt had multiple sailors get it twice.  South Korea is seeing reinfections in people.  

There is no evidence of herd immunity.   This virus doesn’t behave like others. 

You geniuses need to read something besides Surly once in a while.  

Well, the South Korean cases studied were confirmed to be testing errors or had residual indicators but no active viruses.

The Roosevelt cases were also suspected be testing errors, but there’s been no conclusion.

There’s no official declaration of immunity but the preponderance of the evidence is that if you definitely contracted by Corona and confirmed you were fully recovered, it is very unlikely you’ll get it again.

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean 0.5% is a low number but it isn't zero so you are going to see a few people get it twice.

Maybe - that is about what the error rate is on testing.  But yes, if you're immunocompromised and didn't properly respond, you could get it twice.  Acting like that's something common is flat out false. 

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

WTF?

Next time you seek information on the subject please consult one of your Walmart cashiers.

Don't have to when I have friends who I can reach out to and can read all about it from Super Doctor sooner. If you forget, just ask him about the built practice "from scratch", has hundreds of docs to lead and also has institutions like Northwestern asking for his guidance ready and available on Surly. Yes, this great man is here with 6K posts, at all hours to lead us. The most efficient time manager soonerland has ever known. He's not just a brilliant mind, he likely can also tell you how ou's history is misunderstood.

What's wrong with Walmart? 

57 minutes ago, W0244 Jester said:

You have no idea.  

USS Theodore Roosevelt had multiple sailors get it twice.  South Korea is seeing reinfections in people.  

There is no evidence of herd immunity.   This virus doesn’t behave like others. 

You geniuses need to read something besides Surly once in a while.  

You are an idiot. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, dbecks said:

There's no way there's a full season this year.  No damn way.  If this many outbreaks (that we know of) have happened in the summer, I can't imagine it gets any better in the fall.

Alternatively, it could be viewed that it's burning its way through the population in the summer and there's no reason to expect it to get any worse in the fall.

I mean 0.5% is a low number but it isn't zero so you are going to see a few people get it twice.
It's a small enough rate to attribute to incorrect test results or immunodeficiency.

It is worth nothing that we don't k know how long one is immune once they do get it. It could only be temporary ala other coronaviruses. Of course, we can't possibly figure that out without the passage of time.
  • Like 1

I would also point out that a team's highest positive numbers should be now, right out of the gate. That happened with premier league and it makes sense given people are living their lives elsewhere without the protocols of UT campus.

Not saying this can't all come crashing down before anyone even puts pads on, but I expect the new positive number will drop to near zero quickly and stay there all summer. For us and just about every power-5 team.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

You sure do sound like a doctor and you have the blind trust of @C-Man, keep giving us your thoughts but no one should take your word for it.

He admits he is a Sooner on Surley, eternal benefit of the doubt in my book.

Edited by Veerbone
Grammar police
  • Fuck You 1

No kidding.  I’ve been reading this toolbag’s posts for years.   At no point have I ever thought “this guy is smart enough to keep a high average in a STEM major, kill it on the MCAT, and not wash out of medical school”.  

There are a bunch of people on every site, this one included, who are Walter Mitty’ing their way around all day.  

it’s good that your long play troll has a bunch of people believing you are a doctor.  Why not?  We have some make believe attorneys on here as well.   

You are probably some drunk ass Fiji that barely graduated and works at the business daddy runs, that grandpa founded.  

Show me where people can’t be reinfected with this virus, Dr. Mark Green.  Link it up!  LINK IT UP!   OH OH OH!  It’s only right now!

• Fuck You 11

Don't have to when I have friends who I can reach out to and can read all about it from Super Doctor sooner. If you forget, just ask him about the built practice "from scratch", has hundreds of docs to lead and also has institutions like Northwestern asking for his guidance ready and available on Surly. Yes, this great man is here with 6K posts, at all hours to lead us. The most efficient time manager soonerland has ever known. He's not just a brilliant mind, he likely can also tell you how ou's history is misunderstood.

What's wrong with Walmart? 

His ability to manage time so well is what makes him so successful.  He didn’t need four years for undergrad.  He knocked it out in a month.  He’s that good.  

I had my annual physical a few weeks ago. I’ve know my GP for several years.  I know his schedule pretty well personally and professionally.  And he has been promoted in the system he is in and is now upper management over many people but still sees a limited number of patients.  

Posting on a message board thousands of times is not on his schedule.  He has frequent insomnia.  He’s also a huge Marvel nerd.  I read Marvel comics as a kid so we talk Marvel in my visits to see him. 

When he got the big promotion, I asked him if he would be ok with me getting him a subscription to Ultimate Marvel.  All the Marvel comics ever, available digitally. 

I suggested he could read them when he travels or when he is up with insomnia.  He said he wouldn’t have time for it.  He’s got too much medical/work reading to do and wouldn’t get to use Ultimate Marvel. 

Yeah, I’m not buying this internet persona.   One of several on here.  The fact that some of them have fan boys that have followed them every time the site changes names is just weird.  

• Fuck You 1

Sooo,  it's probably been answered but what happens with graduating seniors if there is no season? Can Sam hang around and take basket weaving next year so he can play? I Know in his case he has a redshirt year plus his 4th year. I've heard the word unprecedented what seems like thousands of times since this whole virus started, but as far as college sports go it's truly unprecedented. Sorry to stray away from strictly virus talk to get a little football/virus talk in.

10 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Sooo,  it's probably been answered but what happens with graduating seniors if there is no season? Can Sam hang around and take basket weaving next year so he can play? I Know in his case he has a redshirt year plus his 4th year. I've heard the word unprecedented what seems like thousands of times since this whole virus started, but as far as college sports go it's truly unprecedented. Sorry to stray away from strictly virus talk to get a little football/virus talk in.

If only we had a blueprint on how to keep a starting quarterback eligible without him having to do much in the classroom. 

***looks to the east***

• Fuck You 2

They granted every spring sport senior an extra year of eligibility. Don't see why they wouldn't for football. Some draft eligible guys probably go ahead and move on. I'd think guys that aren't consensus first or second day picks would probably be pretty hesitant to leave since they don't have much on tape.

Edit: Not just seniors, everyone. The year basically never happened in terms of eligibility.

1 hour ago, W0244 Jester said:

No kidding.  I’ve been reading this toolbag’s posts for years.   At no point have I ever thought “this guy is smart enough to keep a high average in a STEM major, kill it on the MCAT, and not wash out of medical school”.  

There are a bunch of people on every site, this one included, who are Walter Mitty’ing their way around all day.  

it’s good that your long play troll has a bunch of people believing you are a doctor.  Why not?  We have some make believe attorneys on here as well.   

You are probably some drunk ass Fiji that barely graduated and works at the business daddy runs, that grandpa founded.  

Show me where people can’t be reinfected with this virus, Dr. Mark Green.  Link it up!  LINK IT UP!   OH OH OH!  It’s only right now!

Who the fuck would pretend to be an attorney? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

No season = no eligibility burned, right?

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You're one seriously stupid son of a bitch, this has nothing to do with herd immunity you dumbfuck.  I'm a physician with hundreds of docs in my group, I run the damn thing and started it from scratch.  We run postacute networks for hospitals like Northwestern in 30+ states.  I'm pretty sure I have 'an idea' you dumb motherfucker. 

You're a real doctor? I thought you just idolized this guy..

spacer.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I remember a couple of months back there was talk of bumping CFB to the spring if necessary. Maybe those talks will get re-kindled if we continue trending the way we are right now.

If it means the entire ou team is blown away by a tornado during a game in the middle of March, I'm here for it.

3 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Gotta think there will be a shit ton of Grad transfers. I know I would be looking to finish up undergrad and ge the next level paid for too!

Still way too many unknowns about the long-term effects of this virus. According to this article, asymptomatic patients still had lung scarring and there is potential for infertility, among many other things. I don’t see how we can expect football this year unless we are all willing to shut down, mask up, and bend the curve to where testing, tracing, and isolation is overwhelmingly effective. So, yeah, I’m not optimistic.
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms

• Like 3

I have become less optimistic as the weeks have gone by. About 2 months ago I was hoping this stuff would mutate out to a lesser form by now. Or at the least we would start to see a few positive signs in the data. Some of the data I've seen looks like a second wave that will be worse in some ways than the first, and now China is doing more lockdowns. 

I don't want to get it, but I also don't want to give this to anyone.  Especially someone who could get really sick or die. All because of a football game? Nope, not feeling it.

I've missed about 12 home games since 1970, but it's not worth that.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

I have become less optimistic as the weeks have gone by. About 2 months ago I was hoping this stuff would mutate out to a lesser form by now. Or at the least we would start to see a few positive signs in the data. Some of the data I've seen looks like a second wave that will be worse in some ways than the first, and now China is doing more lockdowns. 
I don't want to get it, but I also don't want to give this to anyone.  Especially someone who could get really sick or die. All because of a football game? Nope, not feeling it.
I've missed about 12 home games since 1970, but it's not worth that.

Huh? Deaths have gone way down while cases have stayed relatively the same.

I have no fucking idea if they play. What I do know, is that if it plays out like golf is currently being played (no fans). It will not be the same.

I thought golf would be the most immune to no fans. But, it actually does impact the broadcast. And if you’re a long time golf watcher you will notice the players play different, act different and don’t seem particularly in to it.

• Like 1

Sounds like its all being played, but nobody has worked out the details.

Schools don't want to give up the TV money even if they have to leave half or more of their stadium empty.

If it wasn't all about the money, they would move it to Spring when there's a decent chance they could put more people in the stadium.

I'll stick to TV this fall.

25 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I have no fucking idea if they play. What I do know, is that if it plays out like golf is currently being played (no fans). It will not be the same.

I thought golf would be the most immune to no fans. But, it actually does impact the broadcast. And if you’re a long time golf watcher you will notice the players play different, act different and don’t seem particularly in to it.

Players shouldn’t be as effected by the lack of fans.  They played their entire careers up til the PGA (avg age 27 or so as rookies) in front of little to any fans.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Huh? Deaths have gone way down while cases have stayed relatively the same.

Educate yourself. https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

The trends in Texas are bad: Hospitalizations way up, cases way up, and now the lagging indicator of deaths is trending up too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Still way too many unknowns about the long-term effects of this virus. According to this article, asymptomatic patients still had lung scarring and there is potential for infertility, among many other things. I don’t see how we can expect football this year unless we are all willing to shut down, mask up, and bend the curve to where testing, tracing, and isolation is overwhelmingly effective. So, yeah, I’m not optimistic.
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms

Getting morons to stop reproducing could be a net benefit 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

We must be watching different golf tournaments. The only way it’s impacted actual play is that the players can’t use fans as backstops for bad shots.

• Like 2