College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

5 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Based on those results, I'd say this is supports having fans in the stands in some capacity. How is an outdoor football game in 90 degree weather any different than 100,000 screaming people protesting for 5 or 6 hours?

100,000 is 100,000. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alex Karev said:

100,000 is 100,000. 

1000 people get it. Then those 1000 go home to Flatonia and start spreading it. Then those 1000 come back for the next weeks game. They don’t have major symptoms because its only been a week. They spread to 5000 more. Repeat...

• Like 4

Quite a bit of evidence out there that protests didn’t lead to a big spike. 
That evidence is dubious at best, but since the protests more or less coincided with most states fully opening back up, we'll never know for sure one way or the other. We go from "open back up, but use these guidelines" to thousands of people in every city above 50k shoulder to shoulder shouting for hours...some masked, some not.

How it happened is moot at this point, its just a matter of how bad it gets (or not) when it comes time to actually play a game.
  • Like 1

Y'all know protests aren't sanctioned by schools and governing bodies right?  You can't really enforce as many rules in a protest as in a football game.  That's why they call it a protest.  Lack of order is kind of the essence of it.  Football games with multiple layers of governing bodies from the ref on the field, to the leaders of schools, all the way up to state governments and the NCAA... it's a little different and probably a good idea to be held to higher standards than a protest.  

Based on those results, I'd say this is supports having fans in the stands in some capacity. How is an outdoor football game in 90 degree weather any different than 100,000 screaming people protesting for 5 or 6 hours?

Concessions, bathrooms, people without masks, people traveling to and from games from other territories, tailgating undistanced and at bars,cold weather games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Concessions, bathrooms, people without masks, people traveling to and from games from other territories, tailgating undistanced and at bars,cold weather games.

At least in the NFL you have indoor stadiums and some retractable roof stadiums like NRG and AT&T that are basically domes with a sunroof. I also think the football crowd is going to have a greater percentage of people who refuse to mask up than who were out protesting. 

8 hours ago, ousux said:

That evidence is dubious at best, but since the protests more or less coincided with most states fully opening back up, we'll never know for sure one way or the other. We go from "open back up, but use these guidelines" to thousands of people in every city above 50k shoulder to shoulder shouting for hours...some masked, some not.

How it happened is moot at this point, its just a matter of how bad it gets (or not) when it comes time to actually play a game.

If protests were a problem then why are cases in Detroit and New York City going down?

• Like 4

17 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

You need someone to explain to you how people protesting for social justice is different from people cheering for their favorite football team to win a game?

Dude, it’s common knowledge that protesting for the cause of the hour imbues one with magical anti-C19 serum. The more righteous the cause, the more righteous the serum. 

CFB (well, any sporting event) on the other hand lowers immunities by several factors. two completely different scenarios. 

Do you even science, bro?

• Like 6

That Houston girl said she got very sick the day after the protest, so that's pretty much a guarantee she did NOT get sick by going to the protest. Probably same for her friends. Of course there are cases from the large protests, but the outbreaks haven't been as bad as like a single church or bar with only 20-30 people around.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

That Houston girl said she got very sick the day after the protest, so that's pretty much a guarantee she did NOT get sick by going to the protest. Probably same for her friends. Of course there are cases from the large protests, but the outbreaks haven't been as bad as like a single church or bar with only 20-30 people around.

The amount of conjecture and mental gymnastics in this post is really impressive

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Ok fine, so the Houston girl was already infected before going to the protest. So that's pretty much a gaurantee she infected others attending the protest? Same for her friends? 

Either that....or.....if that's not the case, "they" will have to admit that nobody has a fucking clue how or why this virus gets transmitted, outside of literally swapping spit with someone who has it.

So it's safe to have these games and we can all go because the protests didn't cause outbreaks?  Or people protested and got sick, so because they got to protest, we should get to have college football even if it gets more people sick because we have to live our lives?  Which is it?  I mean I get that folks can't fathom there not being a season, but pick the rationale.

In my *opinion* it seems reasonable to assume there will be a clustered outbreak at almost every single D1 game among one or more of players/staff, fans/stadium workers, and clustered tailgating and folks traveling.  If we want to contact trace that and isolate it, great.  Good luck.  But my mindset right now is that I have 4 season tickets to DKR and barring a breakthrough in immediate testing, treatment, prevention, and/or contact tracing, I'm not going to any games and I'd be disappointed if the University took the risk to the city of Austin, the school, and other Texas towns to have them.  Things can change and are definitely fluid week to week or day to day, but we did something wrong here in Texas last month.  Are we going to repeat it before we've beaten this virus down?

• Like 4

I think the games can come off fine...even with the college athletes, seasons can be held with just a handful of absences, most of which won't even get particularly sick. The older staff, not to mention facility workers, security, etc., will need to stay distanced which shouldn't be a problem. (I know there will be a bunch of drill sergeant coaches who can't imagine not screaming in guys' faces every day, but you can't blame the system for that when they get sick.)

The thing with the fans is frustrating to me. I suspect a lot of it is wishful thinking. I don't blame ADs for still having Plan A be selling tickets to anyone who wants to attend. But they need to realize Plans B thru Z are way more likely. A huge stadium doesn't need to be empty, but anything more than a few thousand and yeah there's gonna be COVID spread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sejjr said:

The key quote for these sheeple thinking that they have no risk in stadiums, protests or whereever if they wear masks:

"“...I actually got sick the day after the march,” said Turner. “I could not move out of the bed. I was in the bed just sighing.”

According to Turner, several of her friends with her at the march also tested positive for the Coronavirus. Turner says they were all wearing masks...."

You get in a mass crowd, you are dramatically increasing your risk.

I absolutely fucking hate, hate, hate to say this (especially with how the horns set up for this year relative to the rest of the big 12)...but at this point, based on summer outcomes thus far, I am of the belief that anyone that thinks we are going to have college football this fall is delusional. Which sucks. Fuck. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Y'all know protests aren't sanctioned by schools and governing bodies right?  You can't really enforce as many rules in a protest as in a football game.  That's why they call it a protest.  Lack of order is kind of the essence of it.  Football games with multiple layers of governing bodies from the ref on the field, to the leaders of schools, all the way up to state governments and the NCAA... it's a little different and probably a good idea to be held to higher standards than a protest.  

Yeah except the big difference that protestors don't go play an away game a few thousand miles away at a hotspot when their backyard has flattened the curve.  Then bring whatever the fuck they catch back home...

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Either that....or.....if that's not the case, "they" will have to admit that nobody has a fucking clue how or why this virus gets transmitted, outside of literally swapping spit with someone who has it.

Maybe they had a big lesbian eat-em-out together two weeks prior.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

I absolutely fucking hate, hate, hate to say this (especially with how the horns set up for this year relative to the rest of the big 12)...but at this point, based on summer outcomes thus far, I am of the belief that anyone that thinks we are going to have college football this fall is delusional. Which sucks. Fuck. 

That's where I'm at.  The virus situation is getting worse, not better, and there's no reason to believe that won't continue.  

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

the media is back on teh full hype train shattering records etc.  may as well just cancel christmas

What’s the hype exactly? That we’re running low on ICU beds in the biggest cities in this state? That’s something to be pretty alarmed about. 

• Like 3

I wish I should say we are gonna see some great games, this fall.

But FUCKING science is gonna get in the way. Well... more accurately science and math, the math being transmission.  

If I was a parent of a kid getting a scholarship, what level of risk of infection should I risk for the NCAA to sell some licensed team gear of which the player does not get a penny?  Time for COLLEGE EDUCATION (pretend for most college sports) become again a priority. But this fall is gonna suck for the kids that thought they were going pro.  Perhaps education will again be at least a 30%+ component of college athletics.

But to answer the question, sadly no. There will not be college football this fall because we had the dumbest reopening plan possible for our country.  You WILL BE ABLE to watch European sports, like Premier League soccer.  But no NCAA football. WISH I WAS WRONG!!!!

• Like 5

But FUCKING science is gonna get in the way. Well... more accurately science and math, the math being transmission.  
If I was a parent of a kid getting a scholarship, what level of risk of infection should I risk for the NCAA to sell some licensed team gear of which the player does not get a penny?  Time for COLLEGE EDUCATION (pretend for most college sports) become again a priority. But this fall is gonna suck for the kids that thought they were going pro.  Perhaps education will again be at least a 30%+ component of college athletics.
But to answer the question, sadly no. There will not be college football this fall because we had the dumbest reopening plan possible for our country.  You WILL BE ABLE to watch European sports, like Premier League soccer.  But no NCAA football. WISH I WAS WRONG!!!!
How was our reopening plan dumber than many other countries? I have a friend who lives in South Korea..and other than shutting down schools for a couple months, they never really shut everything down there like we did here. In any case, the federal government has limited power in enforcing any sort of nationwide lockdown...its up to individual states, and in some cases cities within those states.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, ousux said:
29 minutes ago, horn4life said:

How was our reopening plan dumber than many other countries? I have a friend who lives in South Korea..and other than shutting down schools for a couple months, they never really shut everything down there like we did here. In any case, the federal government has limited power in enforcing any sort of nationwide lockdown...its up to individual states, and in some cases cities within those states.

I might look to infection rate graphs.  But please do not let any data points interfere with "I have a friend..." science.  

Sadly we will not have college football this year.  And I am very, very happy to take bets here.  But mostly for pushups for guys as fat as me! 😉

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I bet the mouth-breathing looters\violent protesters are not getting tested.

Actually with the federal government pulling testing out of 7 states next week. Counting positive cases is like so low on the priority list.

Damn- should not have posted at all. Don't want to get political here, but it is a Texas forum and I assume math and graphs are OK to contemplate, maybe even on a basis beyond facebooks, "I know a friend" knowledge of so many "Texas Grads" these days.

Edited by horn4life

It’s like a good portion of the country wants us to just ride this Covid19 thing out and accept the massive hospital overruns and death that comes with it like we would bad weather, to misquote Clayton Williams.  

It didn’t/doesn’t have to be inevitable.  But so it goes. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sidis said:

I think you seriously underestimate how much ADs want TV money and how little 18-21 year olds care about the virus.

1 minute ago, A-Tex Devil said:

It’s like a good portion of the country wants us to just ride this Covid19 thing out and accept the massive hospital overruns and death that comes with it like we would bad weather, to misquote Clayton Williams.  

It didn’t/doesn’t have to be inevitable.  But so it goes. 

Even in New York, they never reached hospital capacity.  And their death rate is 1,116 per million.  Texas is 78.

1 hour ago, bullet said:

I think you seriously underestimate how much ADs want TV money and how little 18-21 year olds care about the virus.

Say a guy without a child elite athlete.   AD's get money for programs. parents allow kids to participate.

Actually I am wrong. Our country allows 18 year old to commit 6 years of their life to the military... but they crtainly cannot take a drink!