College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have suspicions that Clemson is trying to get players sick so that they will be cleared by the season. Next up, a bunch more Alabama players will suddenly get it.

They just throw a little 'Rona in their scheduled steroid shots.

bam yes GIF

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have suspicions that Clemson is trying to get players sick so that they will be cleared by the season. Next up, a bunch more Alabama players will suddenly get it.

Yeah, Dabo is crazy like a fox that just ate a bat.  

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Can you imagine the ramifications if a coach was getting his team sick on purpose and one of them died or had some lung scaring issue. I would think you could end up in the gray bar hotel.

It’s a hell of a thing to have a scared lung. 

• Like 2

Here’s a F’in Rona test site in Houston today 

You’re kidding yourself if you think there will be fans in the stands when they can’t even get this right 

I hope they are somehow able to play the games without fans in the stands but I’m not optimistic 

• Like 1

I signed up for an antibody test next week because why not. $10 and it took all of 3 minutes to get it setup on labcorp’s website. It has me going to one of their testing sites but has online check in where you can wait in your car until it’s your turn. 

I was in the hospital around thanksgiving for a week for an unrelated issue and left there feeling not too great for a couple days. I chalked it up to the underlying reason I was in the hospital but maybe it was the covid.  If I test positive think I can get some sort of marker to not wear a mask? 

The athletic department has been sending me personalised videos and phone calls from assistant coaches telling me how much they appreciate me (my money). So I'm thinking they are softening up the beach head for the -season cancelled, but-"We will give you double (triple) loyalty points if you let us keep your Foundation donation".

53 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I love all of these I had a fever and sniffles for a couple of days so I probably already had corona crowd. Lol ok.

Yes I had the sniffles and think it was covid (jerk-off motion). Also since some substantial percentage of positive cases (I’ve seen anywhere from 20-80%) are asymptomatic I don’t think it’s a stretch for a lot of people to think they may have had it with zero or even mild symptoms. Now that testing is convenient and affordable (the point of my post in the first place) I don’t see a problem with people doing it and finding out.

Regardless, I guess I will find out in a week or so and share results either way.

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s been dozens of reports of people getting COVID more than once. I don’t get why most people think they’re in the clear once they’ve had it. Wear your fucking mask.

Hahahahahah dozens out of how many exactly? 2-3M or is that worldwide?  I feel pretty comfortable in saying that those .001% of people were either not cleared of the initial infection or had a false positive the second time around. 

Edited to add, that this is probably better geared towards the other covid threads but I’ll wear a mask where it’s required by businesses etc.  Assuming they allow fans into the LSU game ill be there yelling. 

Edited by Enchubben

12 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

The athletic department has been sending me personalised videos and phone calls from assistant coaches telling me how much they appreciate me (my money). So I'm thinking they are softening up the beach head for the -season cancelled, but-"We will give you double (triple) loyalty points if you let us keep your Foundation donation".

I wonder if this would be the time to ask the Foundation if we can transfer the tickets from my dad’s name to mine and keep our same seat priority with the same giving level.

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I wonder if this would be the time to ask the Foundation if we can transfer the tickets from my dad’s name to mine and keep our same seat priority with the same giving level.

It would be worth a phone call. If they cancel the season, they may call you!

14 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

You’re kidding yourself if you think there will be fans in the stands when they can’t even get this right 

I hope they are somehow able to play the games without fans in the stands but I’m not optimistic 

Saw the same thing driving by two ER Clinics in west Houston Saturday.  People may be actually getting the message this thing is real and not over yet.  

5 hours ago, Extra Anejo said:

There's been a few lab reports suggesting the Covid antibodies are short-lived, lasting around 6 months of effectiveness. That may make vaccinations into an annual thing like flu shots.

So if covid keeps coming back every 6/12 months like the flu, are kids ever going to have in-classroom learning again? It's going to take years to transition remote learning to be as effective as in classroom learning going forward.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I live 3/4 of a mile from there.

and this is from a fellow Heights anesthesia provider:

“Yeah. That’s less than a mile from my place. There’s an earlier vid of all those people on the median across the street cuz the urgent care said they couldn’t line up before they were ready. As soon as they announced they were, everyone sprinted to get in line cuz they only have 150 tests. The charge RN said no gets wristbands until they acted civilized. This was end result. For a test that has a horrid success rate. 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I just ... wow.

46 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I live 3/4 of a mile from there.

and this is from a fellow Heights anesthesia provider:

“Yeah. That’s less than a mile from my place. There’s an earlier vid of all those people on the median across the street cuz the urgent care said they couldn’t line up before they were ready. As soon as they announced they were, everyone sprinted to get in line cuz they only have 150 tests. The charge RN said no gets wristbands until they acted civilized. This was end result. For a test that has a horrid success rate. 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

Yeah, afaik none of the antibody tests are worth a shit. Is there even one good one out there yet?

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s been dozens of reports of people getting COVID more than once. I don’t get why most people think they’re in the clear once they’ve had it. Wear your fucking mask.

This is probably only possible if they are getting different strains of Covid and hasn’t been pretty well established that the more recent strains/mutations are weaker than the earlier strains.  

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yeah, afaik none of the antibody tests are worth a shit. Is there even one good one out there yet?

There are several that are FDA listed, at least that was the story in late April when I had mine done through Quest. That was one of the few that was listed at the time. It was a full blood draw.

59 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Dozens out of 10 million cases worldwide = statistical noise.

This. It's a small enough sample to be attributed to nit actually having recovered or testing errors (there are a nontrivial amount of false negatives). 

The concern about immunity being temporary are real. That's how it works for other coronaviruses, AFAIK.

30 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

There's a difference?

If you think somebody somewhere is lining things up so that annual vaccinations are required, that's pretty much tinfoil hat territory. 

No arguments there, both are pretty crazy assertions.

22 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Yes I had the sniffles and think it was covid (jerk-off motion). Also since some substantial percentage of positive cases (I’ve seen anywhere from 20-80%) are asymptomatic I don’t think it’s a stretch for a lot of people to think they may have had it with zero or even mild symptoms. Now that testing is convenient and affordable (the point of my post in the first place) I don’t see a problem with people doing it and finding out.

Regardless, I guess I will find out in a week or so and share results either way.

Highly improbable at Thanksgiving.  Maybe if it was in January.

Edited by bullet

On 6/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Honest question, you really want to rush out and get a vaccine that has been rushed that could have any number of negative side effects, in order to get vaccinated for a disease there is a virtual guarantee you would survive if you were to get it? (A disease you probably already have had) I find that to be strange thinking. I will get one once I see the vaccine is safe. 

Having a diabetic wife, yeah, I’ll take the first vaccine with a possibility of side effects.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Honest question, you really want to rush out and get a vaccine that has been rushed that could have any number of negative side effects, in order to get vaccinated for a disease there is a virtual guarantee you would survive if you were to get it? (A disease you probably already have had) I find that to be strange thinking. I will get one once I see the vaccine is safe. 

sean penn GIF by IFC

Texas released their plan for the fall semester

A unique part of UT is our unwavering Longhorn spirit. The university is developing policies and procedures for hosting football games and other athletics events this fall aligned with state, local and Big 12 Conference health and safety guidelines. Health and safety are our top priority, and all scenarios are currently being considered. UT expects to narrow the scenarios under consideration by the first week of August.

https://protect.utexas.edu/athletics/