College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

I legitimately heard someone say The Democrats released this virus in order to sabotage trump re-election. No joke. It wasn’t tongue in cheek either. 

A lady in my mom's office refused to wear a mask and cited this exact reasoning.  Of course, she tested positive on Friday and now everybody there has to get tested.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

They're all young, they'll be fine.

You should really get your information source from somewhere other than social media. Deaths in Texas, Florida and Arizona are all on the downtrend. And the number of young people, hell people younger than 65 is still an extremely low number. 

And to help you out further, the three states where this is the worst in terms of cases, here is the boring, unemotional raw data to follow. You can also look at fun facts like more people have died over the age of 90 in Florida than under 65 and what a large % of the deaths are in nursing homes. 

Arizona --> lowest weekly death total since 4/5

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

Texas --> Under the cases by counter over time link

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata.aspx

Florida --> lowest weekly death total since they have been measuring

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 2

Honest question, you really want to rush out and get a vaccine that has been rushed that could have any number of negative side effects, in order to get vaccinated for a disease there is a virtual guarantee you would survive if you were to get it? (A disease you probably already have had) I find that to be strange thinking. I will get one once I see the vaccine is safe. 

Just saw this one quoted. It should be pointed out that it is absolutely not likely a given individual has already had the disease, and implying such is either incredibly stupid or blatantly lying. Either way, be better.

49 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

SA Express News is a newspaper.  But please give me a good source for Covid coverage.

Also, the sole focus shouldn't be on deaths.  Cool, they're down.  How are hospitalizations?

Quite a flippant reaction to very positive news.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

You should really get your information source from somewhere other than social media. Deaths in Texas, Florida and Arizona are all on the downtrend. And the number of young people, hell people younger than 65 is still an extremely low number. 

First off, WRONG on being an obnxious douchebag.  Since it links directly to the primary newspaper in the 7th largest city in the country

And secondly, deaths always lag by weeks.  You don't test positive and then immediately die.  That's not how this works.  Unless you time traveled into the future, you have no idea what's going to happen. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And secondly, deaths always lag by weeks.  You don't test positive and then immediately die.  That's not how this works.  

Look man, I think you're expecting simple logic and reasoning to mean something, and you may be disappointed.

• Like 9

First off, WRONG on being an obnxious douchebag.  Since it links directly to the primary newspaper in the 7th largest city in the country
And secondly, deaths always lag by weeks.  You don't test positive and then immediately die.  That's not how this works.  Unless you time traveled into the future, you have no idea what's going to happen. 

We’ve been churning out 20k+ case days for weeks. Now that’s in the 30k we’re suddenly going to see a spike in deaths despite the average age of infected is significantly lower?

The deaths just aren’t reflecting with the cases like they did in late March early April when the average age was way higher.

And if the argument of “there’s young people in the ICU” is your fall back, where are your stats? What are the chances someone like me, average health and 30 ends up with a stroke or scarred lung?

On 6/27/2020 at 9:06 PM, Enchubben said:

I signed up for an antibody test next week because why not. $10 and it took all of 3 minutes to get it setup on labcorp’s website. It has me going to one of their testing sites but has online check in where you can wait in your car until it’s your turn. 

I was in the hospital around thanksgiving for a week for an unrelated issue and left there feeling not too great for a couple days. I chalked it up to the underlying reason I was in the hospital but maybe it was the covid.  If I test positive think I can get some sort of marker to not wear a mask? 

If you donate blood they test for antibodies for free... automatically.

• Like 2

There's a lot at play here.  Not trying to downplay the seriousness of this issue but if you run with every hysterical social media post or story the news posts on this you are very easily manipulated.  They have to keep the hysteria up because it sells.  It should be of no shock to anyone that there is a spike in cases right now.  It's like everyone forgot we just had a shit ton of massive gatherings in protest of police brutality.  But if you watch CNN they say that had nothing to do with it which is absurd.  

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

There's a lot at play here.  Not trying to downplay the seriousness of this issue but if you run with every hysterical social media post or story the news posts on this you are very easily manipulated.  They have to keep the hysteria up because it sells.  It should be of no shock to anyone that there is a spike in cases right now.  It's like everyone forgot we just had a shit ton of massive gatherings in protest of police brutality.  But if you watch CNN they say that had nothing to do with it which is absurd.  

That's why I have a firm, strong belief in Qualudes. No hysteria, no freak-outs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Apex73 said:

Ok Mike Gundy, calm down 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

Not sure if already posted, but Ivies considering a spring season.

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/mark-blaudschun/ivy-league-football

Not a time traveler, but given the timeline estimates on this pandemic and a vaccine, I think they're estimating a vaccine to be available in Q1 2021. Now, the day a vaccine is available, not everyone in the US is going to get vaccinated at once. It will probably be over the course of MONTHS before enough people get vaccinated to reach herd immunity. Point is, I don't forsee the situation being much different in the spring than it is in the fall of this year. Looks like we'll be waiting for Fall of 2021 for some normalcy. 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Then why are cases down in NY, Detroit, other cities in the NE and in Europe that all had protests? 

Edited by Pasken
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Pasken said:

Then why are cases down in NY, Detroit, other cities in the NE and in Europe that all had protests? 

Well for one thing you act like those are the only cities that had massive protests which is absurd.  Especially in the case of New York, did you forget they had a ridiculously high number of cases, like way more than everyone else for awhile before the protests?  Of course those numbers are down from what they were then because they were insanely high.  To act like having massive gatherings didn't effect the numbers, your'e completely kidding yourself.

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I think you'll gain more traction here:
www.texags.com

Wow what a great opposing view.  Do you have anything of substance to say or is that what you do to avoid having a discussion you don't have the intelligence to engage in?  I'm gonna go with the latter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Newy25 said:

And to help you out further, the three states where this is the worst in terms of cases, here is the boring, unemotional raw data to follow. You can also look at fun facts like more people have died over the age of 90 in Florida than under 65 and what a large % of the deaths are in nursing homes. 

Arizona --> lowest weekly death total since 4/5

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

Texas --> Under the cases by counter over time link

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata.aspx

Florida --> lowest weekly death total since they have been measuring

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

You've done a shitty job playing doctor on much of this thread.  At least you're consistent.  And that's not to say you're always 100% wrong...just a shitload wrong.  One, deaths lag behind by at least 2-3 weeks.  Two, the whole point of this from the beginning, in terms of lockdown, was to not overwhelm the hospitals.  They are filling up very fast.  And when you use 'reserve' ICU capacity that's not the same quality of care.  That's one big reason why NYC deaths compounded so quickly...you have non ICU nurses in those units.  Also, often nonICU docs and equipment etc...  And I have actually said that the virus seems less deadly overall vs Spring but that is no reason for you to just quote death totals with no context.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Protests may be a small factor.  If they had a lot to do with it we wouldn't have just shut the entire Covid unit down at UofC.  You can look up where UofC is located.  No way in hell, we'd have been able to close that if the protests caused a large flare up.  If anyone says they had 'nothing' to do with it - yeah, that would be absurd.  But, again, it wasn't a huge factor.  NYC very low too.  FL has more cases then all of europe...sure there's more testing but I highly doubt FL tested more patients than all of Europe.  It just puts into context, the type of flare up we are having.  There's a massive difference in how the virus spreads inside vs outside...Texas, AZ, and FL opened up indoor shit way too fast.  Nobody can deny that. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Protests may be a small factor.  If they had a lot to do with it we wouldn't have just shut the entire Covid unit down at UofC.  You can look up where UofC is located.  No way in hell, we'd have been able to close that if the protests caused a large flare up.  If anyone says they had 'nothing' to do with it - yeah, that would be absurd.  But, again, it wasn't a huge factor.  NYC very low too.  FL has more cases then all of europe...sure there's more testing but I highly doubt FL tested more patients than all of Europe.  It just puts into context, the type of flare up we are having.  There's a massive difference in how the virus spreads inside vs outside...Texas, AZ, and FL opened up indoor shit way too fast.  Nobody can deny that. 

Yea I'm not denying we opened shit back up way too fast and that definitely contributed too but protests definitely contributed heavily too.  I don't care what the media says.  Protests have way more people gathered together at once than restaurants, businesses, bars, etc.  Talking about people by the hundreds and in some cases thousands.  Though there are new studies out that suggest UV rays kill the virus so I could see that being a possibility in some areas if protests are being held in sunlight.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Yea I'm not denying we opened shit back up way too fast and that definitely contributed too but protests definitely contributed heavily too.  I don't care what the media says.  Protests have way more people gathered together at once than restaurants, businesses, bars, etc.  Talking about people by the hundreds and in some cases thousands.  Though there are new studies out that suggest UV rays kill the virus so I could see that being a possibility in some areas if protests are being held in sunlight.

Yes - there's the difference.  Inside vs out.  If it spread outside that easily we would have had a massive problem here in Chicago.  Trust me there's no crazy conspiracy to hide cases here.  Just like there was no conspiracy to show crazy high numbers when we had those.  Not saying you're one of these people, but there's way too many conspiracy theorists out there peddling their bullshit.  Believe it or not, they're even worse than the media. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
engrish
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes - there's the difference.  Inside vs out.  If it spread outside that easily we would have had a massive problem here in Chicago.  Trust me there's no crazy conspiracy to hide cases here.  Just like there was no conspiracy to show crazy high numbers when we had those.  Not saying you're one of these people, but there's way too many conspiracy theorists out there peddling their bullshit.  Believe it or not, they're even worse than the media. 

There should be zero doubt at this point that outside spread is extremely minimal. Yet, today we received word that due to the troubling rise in "cases," the beaches will all be closed down again in Los Angeles. As well as the bike paths, because COVID is apparently very fast. 

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Focusing on deaths misses the point completely.

In a few weeks when deaths are up but cases are down due to pulling back on the opening. Folks will say don't focus on deaths focus on cases dropping.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yea and it all causes hysteria.  I don't know how you can say they are worse than the media though.  A few conspiracy nuts getting shit on by everyone doesn't hold near as much influence as the national media which is also fueling this in a lot of ways.  I still find it hard to believe the protests didn't significantly impact the spike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apex73 said:

Yea and it all causes hysteria.  I don't know how you can say they are worse than the media though.  A few conspiracy nuts getting shit on by everyone doesn't hold near as much influence as the national media which is also fueling this in a lot of ways.  I still find it hard to believe the protests didn't significantly impact the spike.

The protests did and anyone who tells you otherwise is a political hack. It is literally common sense.

• Like 4

Down from the sky high numbers they had just a few weeks earlier. (NY and Detroit, idk about Europe) Its not like those metro areas are suddenly in the clear, simply others who werent as hard hit at the time are now reaching their peak.

There are some twitter threads by @boriquagato that make an interesting case that the new spikes are mostly protest related, but many of the northern cities had already been hit so hard that they had more immunity and thus were able to weather the mass gatherings. I'm not fully on board with that, but there may be something to it. It's just hard to ignore the much more obvious sparks coming from crowded indoor bars.

10 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Well for one thing you act like those are the only cities that had massive protests which is absurd.  Especially in the case of New York, did you forget they had a ridiculously high number of cases, like way more than everyone else for awhile before the protests?  Of course those numbers are down from what they were then because they were insanely high.  To act like having massive gatherings didn't effect the numbers, your'e completely kidding yourself.

*affect

• Like 4

15 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Focusing on deaths misses the point completely.

Focusing on infections as much as we do somewhat misses the point, too. Personally, I’d like to see more attention on hospitalizations and hospitalization trends because that would put so many other numbers in context. Increased testing, increased accuracy of tests, etc. can inflate the numbers a bit or maybe more than a bit. If the virus is indeed weakening, that can affect the hospitalization numbers.

I’d also like to see all of these numbers broken down by age, race, and pre-existing medical conditions. I know some of that information is available for some states with some digging, but let’s see it up front so we know which groups are most vulnerable.

Statistics for deaths FROM vs WITH the Covid are a pipe dream at this point, but it would be nice to see some more daily data on other things. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Focusing on infections as much as we do somewhat misses the point, too. Personally, I’d like to see more attention on hospitalizations and hospitalization trends because that would put so many other numbers in context. Increased testing, increased accuracy of tests, etc. can inflate the numbers a bit or maybe more than a bit. If the virus is indeed weakening, that can affect the hospitalization numbers.

I’d also like to see all of these numbers broken down by age, race, and pre-existing medical conditions. I know some of that information is available for some states with some digging, but let’s see it up front so we know which groups are most vulnerable.

Statistics for deaths FROM vs WITH the Covid are a pipe dream at this point, but it would be nice to see some more daily data on other things. 

This is where I am as well.  Focusing on cases at this point also misses the point entirely.

Clemson football has around 25% of their team infected by COVID.  I am guessing that most of them would never know that they had it unless they were forced to do the test.  How many others are doing the same type of thing before they let employees return to offices?  I have no idea how many, but it would seem like a significant group of people are being tested that are not showing symptoms right now.

Hospitalization was the reason for flattening the curve.  It should be the metric we are all following now.  I know the limitations with HIPAA, but a generalization of hospital stats should be what we focus on as decisions are made.  Monitoring deaths still matters obviously, but it is a lagging indicator.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Apex73 said:

The conspiracy nuts just seem to get joy from their lunacy. The media is grossly incompetent. They have neither the brain power nor the desire to dig deep enough to properly explain anything even remotely this technical or complicated. They are happy to have their story match some narrative they believe in and leave it at that. 

I've spent my life in a field that is technical, but it's not magic. When a story hits the media from my field it's usually cringeworthy, and it's usually because they just didn't bother to get it right.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Wow what a great opposing view.  Do you have anything of substance to say or is that what you do to avoid having a discussion you don't have the intelligence to engage in?  I'm gonna go with the latter.

not that i agree with 6th street on everything but i took that post to be responding with like commentary..... just saying.  say dumb things get dumb responses.