College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

6 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Better keep her happy.  That's a very kindhearted woman you've got there.

I don’t mind picking up a second hand Porsche with extremely low mileage because the first owner couldn’t figure out how to work the gear box.  

• Like 1

https://fortune.com/2020/06/26/is-it-safe-restaurant-coronavirus-cases-credit-cards-restaurants-jp-morgan-chase-covid-19-outbreaks/

Here's what's going to happen. MirrOlure is not going to ready any of what I just posted, and he's going to come back and say something really stupid.

First....multiple stories about the same “outbreaks” is a nice touch. Secondly....these are stories. Not studies. So anecdotal
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

First....multiple stories about the same “outbreaks” is a nice touch. Secondly....these are stories. Not studies. So anecdotal

dumb.jpg

Here's what's going to happen. MirrOlure is not going to ready any of what I just posted, and he's going to come back and say something really stupid.

Nailed it.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

On the thread topic, this shit isn’t looking good.
I realized that’s a “hot take”.
I have moved on from denial to acceptance in my stages of grief for the 2020 season.
gotta be way less than 50/50 at this point.

There’s no fucking way we’re having football season. Yet I’ll buy my parking passes tomorrow at 10:00 am.

47 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I mean it's definitely not saying that the protesters themselves didn't increase their own risk of getting Covid by attending the protests. There was obviously elevated risk, and more people at the protests got infected than had they stay home. Just that the "end of the day" net impact on overall Covid spread was zero (actually slightly negative). 

I appreciate your attempt to have an actual discussion about this. I know based on some of your subsequent posts that you'd be tempted like to call me a "flat-earther" or something, but  you took the time to address and question my points. So thanks for that.

I was limiting that post to Los Angeles, because that is where I live, and that is what I know first hand. I can tell you that despite what you may have read, there are no bars open for business and there have not been since March 12. And the restaurants that were allowed to open a few weeks ago, a majority of them chose to wait until we were further along in our phased reopening. Or some were opening the day the protests started, and a few of these were destroyed and looted, so they shut down again. Plus many restaurants and bars did not even have a staff that could start working again, because most were laid off, and they are making similar or more money from unemployment than working at the restaurant or bar.

Everyone wears masks here whenever they are outside. You even see people riding their bike, by themselves, wearing a mask. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not wearing a mask. And now they are mandatory again, thanks to the "spike" or "surge" or whatever you want to call the increase in positive tests over the last 10 days or so. So, I look at the numbers, and seed the rise in positive cases. I watched 20,000 people marching down Hollywood a few blocks from where I live. The VAST majority of these people were in their 20s. Many of the new cases are also skewing much younger as well.

And yes, I am speculating here, but I do believe many of these people were not working, were unemployed, and were out of school due to the previous 3 months of lockdowns. So after being browbeaten about COVID for all this time, suddenly, you are free to come out and protest all day long side-by-side with friends you may not have seen in a while, and this was a signal that many felt the COVID scare was over, especially among this lower risk group of people. The media instantly stopped talking about cases and deaths and comorbidities.

The larger point is, we received a new order on Sunday closing all beaches and bike paths (again, WTF?), limiting any gatherings to only your immediate family,  and all fireworks were prohibited. I understand the last one because you want to prevent large gatherings, but after allowing MASSIVE gatherings for over two weeks, and then claiming that protests had no effect on this current surge, despite the timing, I want to know the logic behind any closure that prevents people from going outside. You can't have it both ways. If protests had no effect on the spread because "outdoor transmission," then be consistent for fucks' sake. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

I appreciate your attempt to have an actual discussion about this. I know based on some of your subsequent posts that you'd be tempted like to call me a "flat-earther" or something, but  you took the time to address and question my points. So thanks for that.

I was limiting that post to Los Angeles, because that is where I live, and that is what I know first hand. I can tell you that despite what you may have read, there are no bars open for business and there have not been since March 12. And the restaurants that were allowed to open a few weeks ago, a majority of them chose to wait until we were further along in our phased reopening. Or some were opening the day the protests started, and a few of these were destroyed and looted, so they shut down again. Plus many restaurants and bars did not even have a staff that could start working again, because most were laid off, and they are making similar or more money from unemployment than working at the restaurant or bar.

Everyone wears masks here whenever they are outside. You even see people riding their bike, by themselves, wearing a mask. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not wearing a mask. And now they are mandatory again, thanks to the "spike" or "surge" or whatever you want to call the increase in positive tests over the last 10 days or so. So, I look at the numbers, and seed the rise in positive cases. I watched 20,000 people marching down Hollywood a few blocks from where I live. The VAST majority of these people were in their 20s. Many of the new cases are also skewing much younger as well.

And yes, I am speculating here, but I do believe many of these people were not working, were unemployed, and were out of school due to the previous 3 months of lockdowns. So after being browbeaten about COVID for all this time, suddenly, you are free to come out and protest all day long side-by-side with friends you may not have seen in a while, and this was a signal that many felt the COVID scare was over, especially among this lower risk group of people. The media instantly stopped talking about cases and deaths and comorbidities.

The larger point is, we received a new order on Sunday closing all beaches and bike paths (again, WTF?), limiting any gatherings to only your immediate family,  and all fireworks were prohibited. I understand the last one because you want to prevent large gatherings, but after allowing MASSIVE gatherings for over two weeks, and then claiming that protests had no effect on this current surge, despite the timing, I want to know the logic behind any closure that prevents people from going outside. You can't have it both ways. If protests had no effect on the spread because "outdoor transmission," then be consistent for fucks' sake. 

And same to you, I appreciate the attempt in your prior post to have a real discussion even if we don't see eye to eye. It's the nonsensical political hack type posts and the anti-science that irritate me. I'm never going to go off on someone trying to have a real discussion. 

Thanks for the context on LA. I've mostly just been following Texas (and Louisiana a bit). I think it's difficult at times with Covid because we all like answers and there's not really a clear one. If you want, you can look at the protests and you're absolutely right that the timing lines up. Or conversely you could look at the timing of re-openings and increase in traffic and decrease of social distancing and general caution, and see that the timing lines up. 

I'm a data guy. I do big data analytics for a living, and I believe in it (provided it's done properly which is why I end up reading the entire text of these studies). So I'm inclined to believe the studies that are done well and done on big, robust data sets. The two that I've seen are the one I linked above, and the one by Chase that showed a strong correlation between restaurant spending and Covid spread (a week or so later); though I do admit there are some questions about whether the restaurants are directly parallel or if restaurant spending is just a harbinger of other things. So I find myself veering towards the side of things that believes indoor activities and a lack of masks are the real culprits here (if we're hunting boogeymen anyway; obviously it's a combination of a lot of things).

FWIW - I think closing beaches and bike paths is beyond stupid. I was just complaining earlier on the DT thread about Austin closing down parks for the weekend, while bars and churches are still open. It doesn't make any sense.

I also would have no issue with an outdoor football game if masks were required. I think the risk in that situation is orders of magnitude lower than going to a bar and screaming over the music at each other with no masks amongst recirculated, temperature controlled air. And while the protests were pretty good about mask usage, I'm disappointed in those who didn't wear them. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 4

I have to be optimistic while trying to be rationale.  I think the huge spike in cases now will die down by August, just like it did in the NE after two months and we will kickoff on time.  I have no idea if we will have 100%, 50%, 25% fans ins seats or no fans in seats.  

If we don't have a season - which I agree is most likely - do you think all the players will get an extra year of eligibility?  Would the NCAA allow for more than 85 scholarships to accommodate seniors coming back an extra year?   Will draft eligible players go pro based on last year's tape, or would they come back?
Because, selfishly speaking, this year's team was going to be our good one.   If we're in acceptance mode that 2020 football won't happen, then I now need to invent scenarios where Ehlinger, Ossai, Cosmi, etc. are all back in 2021.
Yes. They gave all spring sport athletes an extra year. No reason they wouldn't for fall. You'd probably have some guys leave for the draft though. Cosmi and Ossai would seem most likely.

There’s no fucking way we’re having football season. Yet I’ll buy my parking passes tomorrow at 10:00 am.

I don’t believe there’s going to be any this year either, and even if there is I don’t see any way that I’d go. Yet I still bought my parking pass this morning. I sometimes wonder what I’m thinking.

44 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If we don't have a season - which I agree is most likely - do you think all the players will get an extra year of eligibility?  Would the NCAA allow for more than 85 scholarships to accommodate seniors coming back an extra year?   Will draft eligible players go pro based on last year's tape, or would they come back?

Russina-Beauties.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2020 at 5:41 PM, Js1 said:

First off, WRONG on being an obnxious douchebag.  Since it links directly to the primary newspaper in the 7th largest city in the country

And secondly, deaths always lag by weeks.  You don't test positive and then immediately die.  That's not how this works.  Unless you time traveled into the future, you have no idea what's going to happen. 

First off, this is Surly.  If you are offended someone is obnoxious, you shouldn't be here.  Second, the Express News was a joke 50 years ago.  Third, pretty much every newspaper is a joke nowadays, unfortunately.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BradInATX said:

If anyone is interesting in some data and empirical evidence around Covid and the protests instead of running around with your hair on fire screaming "but the protests!!", here you go:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

I suspect most of you are not interested in that though. 

Cliff's:

If this is the one I read before, it says the protests increased Covid among the protestors while decreasing it among everyone else.

8 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I think it's been young people who either think this is overblown or think it's basically a cold. I've just heard from friends who are testing positive from going on a boat party in Austin. There are pictures all over showing crowded bars, pool parties, and boat parties. No masks and no social distancing. That's what is fueling the current spike.

Young people, whether hanging out, protesting, looting, ...have gotten bored.  They are ignoring common sense precautions.  For all this nonsense about locking things back up, kids are still going to be out connecting.  They're done with the lockdowns.  I've got a teen.  Its been a battle all along and he's a lot better than many others his age.

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

Young people, whether hanging out, protesting, looting, ...have gotten bored.  They are ignoring common sense precautions.  For all this nonsense about locking things back up, kids are still going to be out connecting.  They're done with the lockdowns.  I've got a teen.  Its been a battle all along and he's a lot better than many others his age.

There are way more deadlier things teens have to worry about than covid. They're told to stay safe and stay indoors because they may catch it and transmit it to someone older and more vulnerable. Teens and young adults did a good job for a month or two, but it seems like the inevitable has occurred and they're out socializing again. I really wish the governor would mandate masks in public for everyone instead of suggesting masks. 

Doing something right in Lubbock, although watch them hold a celebration party for eliminating the virus   @nicoleauerbach Texas Tech announces that it has completed 21 additional tests for COVID-19 among its football newcomers/staff members with zero positive results. Texas Tech has completed 218 tests for football athletes/staff with a total of 23 positive results, all of which are now recovered.

The STD results were a different story
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

And same to you, I appreciate the attempt in your prior post to have a real discussion even if we don't see eye to eye. It's the nonsensical political hack type posts and the anti-science that irritate me. I'm never going to go off on someone trying to have a real discussion. 

Thanks for the context on LA. I've mostly just been following Texas (and Louisiana a bit). I think it's difficult at times with Covid because we all like answers and there's not really a clear one. If you want, you can look at the protests and you're absolutely right that the timing lines up. Or conversely you could look at the timing of re-openings and increase in traffic and decrease of social distancing and general caution, and see that the timing lines up. 

I'm a data guy. I do big data analytics for a living, and I believe in it (provided it's done properly which is why I end up reading the entire text of these studies). So I'm inclined to believe the studies that are done well and done on big, robust data sets. The two that I've seen are the one I linked above, and the one by Chase that showed a strong correlation between restaurant spending and Covid spread (a week or so later); though I do admit there are some questions about whether the restaurants are directly parallel or if restaurant spending is just a harbinger of other things. So I find myself veering towards the side of things that believes indoor activities and a lack of masks are the real culprits here (if we're hunting boogeymen anyway; obviously it's a combination of a lot of things).

FWIW - I think closing beaches and bike paths is beyond stupid. I was just complaining earlier on the DT thread about Austin closing down parks for the weekend, while bars and churches are still open. It doesn't make any sense.

I also would have no issue with an outdoor football game if masks were required. I think the risk in that situation is orders of magnitude lower than going to a bar and screaming over the music at each other with no masks amongst recirculated, temperature controlled air. And while the protests were pretty good about mask usage, I'm disappointed in those who didn't wear them. 

I think we see a little closer to eye to eye than you might think.

Look, I miss the days of 4 long months ago where I rarely paid too much attention to politics day-to-day, and spent more of my time with the hand wringers on the recruiting board. I miss those goofy bastards...I want football, as most of us do. I am just beyond tired of the cherry picking of data to fit a politically motivated position, "experts" who have been completely wrong (and in some cases, criminally so), and dogmatic opinions with no room for an opposing viewpoint, right or wrong. I am tired of negative news always taking precedence over any positive news. I have a hard time understanding why everyone in this country isn't seeking out the best case scenarios in every new data set. I am also frustrated with all the inconsistencies from local government decisions to the way states report their data. I don't personally think cloth masks are very effective at preventing the spread of this virus, but I still wear one every day because if it does possibly help at all, why wouldn't you wear one? It isn't that big a sacrifice, annoying as it may be. 

I still believe there is a chance that this current surge in cases will taper off in the next 2-3 weeks, and we will get a clearer picture of what we might expect come September. I think the football decision makers will wait as long as they possibly can before they make any decision regarding cancelling the upcoming season. It just seems like there are a lot of people that want the worst case scenario to play out, and I will never understand that. 

• Like 4

The best analysis that I've read would indicate that yes, the protests are the main driver of the large increases we've seen in much of the country. They are not the only driver, and there is plenty of evidence that indoor drinking or crowded patios are also dangerous. Many cities did not see any protest increase which is still a mystery but quite likely because those areas had already been slammed and thus have more immunity.

It ticks me off to see people suggest the protesters were just bored or tired of the lockdown. I was on the periphery of a few marches in Philly and it was not a party atmosphere or social hangout. It looked the same in other cities too. They had signs and they were mad.

As to football, I think what Sejir and Bevoswag mention above has a good chance of happening: the southern numbers will remain horrifying into next week, then will plateau for several weeks and slowly come down. It's not gonna be an easy decision for colleges, but if numbers are dropping in early August, my guess is they move forward with the intent to play games on time.

Its not the bars? Literally over 100 people got infected from one bar in Michigan that was open a week.
It’s not the beach? There are stories all over of clusters of people who got infected after going to the beach for a week.
wheres the stories of dozens of protestors who got infected?

Dont ask dont tell!!

8 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I think we see a little closer to eye to eye than you might think.

Look, I miss the days of 4 long months ago where I rarely paid too much attention to politics day-to-day, and spent more of my time with the hand wringers on the recruiting board. I miss those goofy bastards...I want football, as most of us do. I am just beyond tired of the cherry picking of data to fit a politically motivated position, "experts" who have been completely wrong (and in some cases, criminally so), and dogmatic opinions with no room for an opposing viewpoint, right or wrong. I am tired of negative news always taking precedence over any positive news. I have a hard time understanding why everyone in this country isn't seeking out the best case scenarios in every new data set. I am also frustrated with all the inconsistencies from local government decisions to the way states report their data. I don't personally think cloth masks are very effective at preventing the spread of this virus, but I still wear one every day because if it does possibly help at all, why wouldn't you wear one? It isn't that big a sacrifice, annoying as it may be. 

I still believe there is a chance that this current surge in cases will taper off in the next 2-3 weeks, and we will get a clearer picture of what we might expect come September. I think the football decision makers will wait as long as they possibly can before they make any decision regarding cancelling the upcoming season. It just seems like there are a lot of people that want the worst case scenario to play out, and I will never understand that. 

Good post.

I think it's been proven that even cloth masks are pretty effective if adopted by the majority. But that's neither here nor there and I appreciate your attitude and respect/empathy for the rest of society. 

And agreed on the "seeking best case scenarios". I've been one of the more cautious and data driven people on the Covid threads on the Daily Texan, but by no means am I rooting to be right. I'd love to learn that this thing is no big deal, it's weakening, or that it's not really a threat. I'm sick of being couped up in the house. And the one outlet my wife and I found to get out a bit (hitting the outdoor breweries that were really well spaced) is now shut back down, which sucks. All of this shit sucks. I damn sure hope you're right about the tapering off, because this fall and winter are going to really suck if we don't have football. I'll even be happy if we get it without fans.

27 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Would you mind sharing this?

It’s amazing the protests only spiked cases in states that reopened early and not Minneapolis, New York, Chicago, etc.  Sooooooo amazing. 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Would you mind sharing this?

I don't think I'm on board with Twitter's @boriquagato in general, he seems like maybe an anarchist or at best a shit-stirrer. But the thread below and some of his other points are pretty compelling as far as theories on why NY/DC/Phila/Chi have been under control post-protest but many others have blown up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

The best analysis that I've read would indicate that yes, the protests are the main driver of the large increases we've seen in much of the country. They are not the only driver, and there is plenty of evidence that indoor drinking or crowded patios are also dangerous. Many cities did not see any protest increase which is still a mystery but quite likely because those areas had already been slammed and thus have more immunity.

It ticks me off to see people suggest the protesters were just bored or tired of the lockdown. I was on the periphery of a few marches in Philly and it was not a party atmosphere or social hangout. It looked the same in other cities too. They had signs and they were mad.

As to football, I think what Sejir and Bevoswag mention above has a good chance of happening: the southern numbers will remain horrifying into next week, then will plateau for several weeks and slowly come down. It's not gonna be an easy decision for colleges, but if numbers are dropping in early August, my guess is they move forward with the intent to play games on time.

Yeah, this is where I'm at.  I actually think this thing sweeping like wildfire right now makes it more likely that a season happens, as it will be well on the back side of this wave, which appears to be massive, and affecting large chunks of the country.  It will essentially be through us in a much larger number than it was before.

12 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Anything performed over a period of days is not a “study”. It’s a collection of statistics and someone’s/group’s analysis. We’ll get the studies in 2022

So describe something that could be done in this short timeframe that would convince you, because it sounds like you are determined to not believe anything that points to a conclusion other than the one you have already come to.

49 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I don't think I'm on board with Twitter's @boriquagato in general, he seems like maybe an anarchist or at best a shit-stirrer. But the thread below and some of his other points are pretty compelling as far as theories on why NY/DC/Phila/Chi have been under control post-protest but many others have blown up.

This is interesting, but I wish the guy would give us a source/definition for the SIS measure.

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

Thanks for sharing that. It's interesting data for sure. I'm leery of what he put together, for a few reasons. First, he didn't accurately pinpoint the correct dates/times for loosening restrictions. He didn't address that his charts would look the exact same in cities that didn't have protests. He ignored places where there was no spike that would correlate with his "protest timing" like NYC, Minneapolis, and a bunch of other big cities. It seems like he conveniently cherry-picked certain data and subsets of the data. Whether intentionally or not,  heleft out a ton of things that run against the grain of his theories. 

It's amateur-ish, and comes across as an agenda-driven attempt to do a half-ass version of the very complete NBER study. Honestly, it looks like a guy who has Tableau and just enough statistical knowledge to be dangerous, but isn't intellectually rigorous or honest enough to put together a real analysis. He's not controlling properly, he's ignoring a ton of data points that do a lot of damage to his theory, and he's presenting really incomplete information.

He's also ignoring the fact that Memorial Day weekend happened just before the protests got started.

That' s not to say that the protests didn't have some impact. The NBER study I referenced concludes that Phoenix is well-above the expected trend, starting with the protests, and now Arizona is exploding as much as any state in the country. 

I know the NBER study is a beating to read through, but it's probably worth your while to do it. It's really well done.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

Here's one for the "Let the players have Covid-19 parties and get on with the season crowd" ...

Should teams actively seek herd immunity from the coronavirus?

https://sports.yahoo.com/should-teams-actively-seek-herd-immunity-from-the-coronavirus-234449908.html

At the heart of this “terrible idea” is the concept of immunity. You contract COVID-19. You develop antibodies. After recovering, you become immune. That’s how other coronaviruses operate. That’s how most experts assume this one does.

“The issue with immunity,” says Chunhuei Chi, director of global health at Oregon State University, “is how long it lasts. And this varies greatly across different communicable diseases. Some last for lifetime. Some last for only a few months.”

And because COVID-19 is so new, researchers aren’t sure where it falls on the continuum.

Chi points to a recent study that followed 74 former patients, half of whom were asymptomatic, all of whom recovered. It found that antibody levels fell sharply over the three months after a person’s initial infection. And while it didn’t prove anything, Chi says it confirmed suspicions that immunity may last only a few months. “And that's not good news,” he says.

He also points to another finding: “For the asymptomatic patients, immunity is even shorter.” In other words, there appears to be a relationship between degree of sickness, immune system response and antibody strength. “Young people who have mild disease or asymptomatic disease, their antibodies may never rise very high,” says Sankar Swaminathan, chief of infectious diseases at the University of Utah. “We don't even know if those antibodies are protective.”

All of which means that a college football player who contracts the disease in June very well could contract it again in October. And he’d test positive. And he could get sick. And he’d have to sit out for at least 10 days.

Edited by SimkinsMan

I'm no medical professional, but is that guy from Utah saying that people that caught it, but hardly even knew it, are somehow at a risk of getting it again and "next time" it will do real damage?  I mean, doesn't that fly in the face of all medical knowledge we have to this point?  I mean, the person didn't have antibodies to COVID-19 before they caught it, so why would the lack of lasting antibodies make the second time around something to be concerned about.

My struggle with this thing is all of the magical powers it seems to have, like the strokes it supposedly causes that everyone was up in arms about a month or two ago.  What happened to those?  It seems like we are throwing everything that we know about medicine out the window because of this novel coronavirus.  I get that it is serious, and it isn't "just the flu".  But that doesn't change the fact that it is a coronavirus, and almost every human on the planet has been infected by one of those at some point.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

This is great except if ‘just’ 1-2 players die - yes that’s realistic - it would be considered an unmitigated disaster.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jinx said:

My struggle with this thing is all of the magical powers it seems to have, like the strokes it supposedly causes that everyone was up in arms about a month or two ago.  What happened to those?  It seems like we are throwing everything that we know about medicine out the window because of this novel coronavirus.  I get that it is serious, and it isn't "just the flu".  But that doesn't change the fact that it is a coronavirus, and almost every human on the planet has been infected by one of those at some point.

Mixture of health professionals trying to make meaningful, truthful warnings as we sort through the data to figure out exactly what's happening coupled with media using every plausible thing to get clicks and sell stories. 

• Like 3

I'm no medical professional, but is that guy from Utah saying that people that caught it, but hardly even knew it, are somehow at a risk of getting it again and "next time" it will do real damage?  I mean, doesn't that fly in the face of all medical knowledge we have to this point?  I mean, the person didn't have antibodies to COVID-19 before they caught it, so why would the lack of lasting antibodies make the second time around something to be concerned about.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/%3FoutputType%3Damp

Yep. April 25. May was Kawasaki disease. June is scarred lungs.

July it’s

All major cities had protests

Not all cities are seeing a surge in COVID

No area has herd immunity (70%) or close to it

Its not a mystery. Wear a mask. Dont eat or drink with people indoors.
  • Like 8