College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

8 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

University of Arizona just announced it will not reopen to students. The comments to this tweet are worth a glance.

Technically he hasn't said that students wouldn't be on campus in the fall, just that they wouldn't be if conditions are the same then as they are today. I would ask the same question as Malik did. If it currently wouldn't be safe for the general student body to be on campus, why they hell am I here?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Mixture of health professionals trying to make meaningful, truthful warnings as we sort through the data to figure out exactly what's happening coupled with media using every plausible thing to get clicks and sell stories. 

Yes.  Early on I remember the news interviews with those who got hospitalized and framing the story as ‘what it’s like to fight Covid!!!’    No.  STFU.  That’s what it’s like for the 0.1%.  You don’t show Lawrence Taylor dismantling Theisman’s leg and frame the story ‘see what it’s like to be an NFL QB!’ 

• Like 3

Yeah we get it. You think it’s overblown. You’ve become such this sarcastic, dismissive poster since it started. Like you had an inner anti-vaxxer waiting to come out
Normal people would see the Medical community is struggling to nail down the long term effects of the virus. So maybe we should be cautious because it’s still a huge unknown. 
But no, it’s the media. The libs. The Chinese. The football haters. 

I don’t think it’s overblown but I don’t think it’s as serious as it was initially thought of back in February, March and April. What’s wrong with that approach? You bring up a good point about the medical community. But how long do we wait for the all clear? Oxford has news today about its vaccine being safe for people with weak systems

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/rest-of-world/oxford-covid-19-vaccine-safe-for-people-with-weak-immunity/articleshow/76728582.cms

The number one thing everyone needs to do and it’s obvious, is keep it out of the 80+ population demographic.

Just because someone might have a different view point than YOU, doesn’t mean I disagree with you on everything. My gripe is the media. 1 stroke article from the Wpost,” and the public is in hysteria but crickets really from health officials. 3 NYC kids get inflammatory immune responses and crickets. San Antonio express news has a doctor diagnosed scarred lung on patients and now we need to evolve to that side story of this shit show? Obviously there’s going to be more articles on all of these.

Again I’ll repeat this- if all 3 of these things even had a 1% chance of happening after contracting the virus, we’re not reopening the way we are without knowing more about the virus. That’s way too many babies, kids, teens, young and middle aged adults permanently scarred
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don’t think it’s overblown but I don’t think it’s as serious as it was initially thought of back in February, March and April. What’s wrong with that approach? You bring up a good point about the medical community. But how long do we wait for the all clear? Oxford has news today about its vaccine being safe for people with weak systems

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/rest-of-world/oxford-covid-19-vaccine-safe-for-people-with-weak-immunity/articleshow/76728582.cms

The number one thing everyone needs to do and it’s obvious, is keep it out of the 80+ population demographic.

Just because someone might have a different view point than YOU, doesn’t mean I disagree with you on everything. My gripe is the media. 1 stroke article from the Wpost,” and the public is in hysteria but crickets really from health officials. 3 NYC kids get inflammatory immune responses and crickets. San Antonio express news has a doctor diagnosed scarred lung on patients and now we need to evolve to that side story of this shit show? Obviously there’s going to be more articles on all of these.

Again I’ll repeat this- if all 3 of these things even had a 1% chance of happening after contracting the virus, we’re not reopening the way we are without knowing more about the virus. That’s way too many babies, kids, teens, young and middle aged adults permanently scarred

It's not just the media. It's the vast majority of health care professionals who are rightfully worried about the burden on the healthcare system. 

• Like 1

It's not just the media. It's the vast majority of health care professionals who are rightfully worried about the burden on the healthcare system. 

Id be more with you if NYC didn’t have a convention center, hospital ship and Central Park go mostly unused and they were by far the worst hit area for this country. And what happens if CA, AZ, TX, FL are pushed but not broken? I’ll be the first to admit I’m not in the medical field and it shows...but I had no idea hoW high the usage of beds were in normal life. Next after this wave and if our top 3 populous states pass it...where do we go next ?

3 hours ago, Bartles said:

I don't think I'm on board with Twitter's @boriquagato in general, he seems like maybe an anarchist or at best a shit-stirrer. But the thread below and some of his other points are pretty compelling as far as theories on why NY/DC/Phila/Chi have been under control post-protest but many others have blown up.

Wait wait wait. The best analysis you've read is some random dude from Puerto Rico on Twitter? Who is this person? Do they have any scientific or academic credentials?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

Wait wait wait. The best analysis you've read is some random dude from Puerto Rico on Twitter? Who is this person? Do they have any scientific or academic credentials?

He’s a bad cat 

How much would it be worth to you, in dollars, not to get sick. I'm talking just normal flu. Say, 4 days you feel like crap, fever, vomiting. No long term effects. Everyone may have a different answer but I'd gladly give up a few thousand bucks than go through it. Now if you were to throw in the unknowns with the "Chinese virus". I'd probably rather give up a new car than go through it.

As such, I've decided I won't be attending any games this fall. 

I fully expect them to either try and play them with a reduced capacity or try and play them in the spring. Going in the Spring would be something I'd consider but that's a long way down the road.

I have a bet with a friend about the 2020 football season. He thinks opening weekend games in Texas will be played as usual with 100% fan capacity allowed in stadiums. If that happens, he wins. If games are canceled or there are any fan capacity limits, I win.

Not really a bet I want to be right about, but I don't see any way that cases in Texas will magically reverse course in 2 months to allow this to happen. I'd love to be wrong.

4 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I have a bet with a friend about the 2020 football season. He thinks opening weekend games in Texas will be played as usual with 100% fan capacity allowed in stadiums. If that happens, he wins. If games are canceled or there are any fan capacity limits, I win.

Not really a bet I want to be right about, but I don't see any way that cases in Texas will magically reverse course in 2 months to allow this to happen. I'd love to be wrong.

Does your friend ever get tired of being wrong?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

I have no idea who the guy is, and like I said I am very skeptical of his overall messaging. BradinATX did a more thorough reading of his threads and is not impressed. But yes, bad cat's narrow theory of why southern protest cities (inc. LA) have been slammed while northern ones have not is "the best analysis I've read" so far. Mainly because I haven't seen mainstream media even tackle the subject, they just assume it's all on "opening up".  Feel free to post some links if you have any

I think the phenomenon has a mixture of causes, but the early suffering of the big cities makes sense as an impediment to later outbreaks. Herd immunity isn't like "OK we have it, green light everybody!" Places that are closer to immunity can tolerate certain behaviors better than others.

55 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Is your friend accepting bets from strangers? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Those are helpful links, thank you. 

• Like 1

I had a non-refundable hotel room booked for Baton Rouge, but got an email saying I could cancel this week for a full refund.  Sad, but I had to go ahead and take the refund. 

Have been looking forward to that trip for years. Sucks.

I'm legitimately hoping that game gets canceled and pushed back, even if it's 10 years or whatever where our next nonconference opening is. I'd be so pissed to lose that trip.

• Like 1

On the signs that they’re isn’t going to be a football season note, Nebraska laid off the guy who did all their gameday social media content and video and written features on athletes. He’s one of the best in the business and you don’t do that if you think there’s going to be games.

7 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

On the signs that they’re isn’t going to be a football season note, Nebraska laid off the guy who did all their gameday social media content and video and written features on athletes. He’s one of the best in the business and you don’t do that if you think there’s going to be games.

Unless he gets caught screwing the AD's daughter. (No pix, sorry.) (Does the AD even have a daughter?) (Fuck, I don't know.) (This info may be suspect.)

5 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

You're going to win.

Nebraska still plays football?
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

Nebraska still plays football?

The point is it’s a high budget program who laid off a key part of the game day program

4 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

The point is it’s a high budget program who laid off a key part of the game day program

Not to mention if there’s no fans, that guy is even more important to reach the audience at home 

Or you’re probably still paying Bo Pelini to not be there and some poor sap lost a job

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Can you PM me his contact info? I want to get in on some of that action.

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

You bet everything you own right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

Anyone know where Steve Patterson is these days? If he's running a program I wouldn't be surprised if he's furloughed everyone but himself at this point.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Or you’re probably still paying Bo Pelini to not be there and some poor sap lost a job

Pelini deal was paid off at the end of last season, why else do you think he suddenly was interested in much higher paying coordinator jobs again? Riley was a lump sum buyout, only coaches getting paid off is basketball now

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Your'e friend is not looking at things realistically. That's easy money for you my friend.

Some AD (Texas?  Bama?  ND?) should step up right now and say "Fuck it, we're punting the 2020 season; see y'all next year," sue us if you want to.  Force majeure. Lives are more important than games.  Jesus, why is this still even in doubt?  What does it take, front end loaders full of bodies?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Some AD (Texas?  Bama?  ND?) should step up right now and say "Fuck it, we're punting the 2020 season; see y'all next year," sue us if you want to.  Force majeure. Lives are more important than games.  Jesus, why is this still even in doubt?  What does it take, front end loaders full of bodies?

Hey like who asked for your opinion man?