College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:
So if we have games, then conference only
Does that push the ACC and the SEC to actually play 9 games?

Yes, but only because the SEC will expand and invite The Citadel and College of Charleston.

And those schools will be playing games 2x a week.

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

For a weekend of partying and football, hell yeah. Purely as a fan, preserving the LSU road trip for better times is the number one thing I want to see.

Not only that, we need to reserve the right to go to their campus and bitch about every little thing. Also, if you attend the game and do not wear one of those personal air fans (regardless of the temperature), then you're not doing it right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

I don't see this as a choice at all

All I see is college football

With all of the best draft-eligible players not playing. Now, you might like that because it's college football, but the product won't be nearly as good as it would be in the fall.

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

With all of the best draft-eligible players not playing. Now, you might like that because it's college football, but the product won't be nearly as good as it would be in the fall.

Sure it sucks if Trevor Lawrence, etc doesn't play.  But it only sucks because you know they aren't playing.  The product on the field will be the same it always is.  The best players leave every year.  And new players step up every year.  That's college football.  It will be the 2022 season played 6 months in advance.

Edited by Don Johnson

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

Like LSU is going to give up a home game against Texas.  Seriously?

If all non-conference games nationwide are canceled it seems like a pretty easy thing to do to have all teams agree on changing the dates of their scheduled non-conference games by one year. That's a lot of bad press if you're one of the handful of teams that doesn't agree to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If all non-conference games nationwide are canceled it seems like a pretty easy thing to do to have all teams agree on changing the dates of their scheduled non-conference games by one year. That's a lot of bad press if you're one of the handful of teams that doesn't agree to it.

Just think it will be a home game...in the spring.

20 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Fans' heads will explode, but if the stands are gonna be empty anyway, the safest, cheapest and most logistically sound thing to do is play in Austin or Norman

But what if none of us (neither Sooner fan, nor Longhorn fan) can attend the game, the oddity of the situation is mind boggling... 🤨

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Would be a smart idea of college football to have a bunch of smaller 8-10 team conferences all within the same geographic footprint. You could have one consisting of schools in Texas plus maybe Arkansas, for example. You could call it something like the "Southwest Conference" or some such.

That's stupid. How could we do that but also include the obvious schools like West Virginia and Iowa State?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

No way they let it be a home game for TX or OU on a one off year.. so Jerryworld it is.. goddamnit just cancel the season at that point. 

Why is JerryWorld a better alternative to the place that's completely open and will have no one in or around the area? Again people, the Cotton Bowl game was played in that stadium, without the State Fair around it, for decades. You can play a one off game at Fair Park without the State Fair as long as Dallas is still willing to allow it and pay for it. Assuming the contract is locked in, Dallas will have to pay unless they tell the teams the game can't go on. I highly doubt they do that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That's stupid. How could we do that but also include the obvious schools like West Virginia and Iowa State?

Your avatar makes me ragey. Fuck you, Steve Patterson! How in the living fuck did UT decide he would be a better AD than Oliver Luck?!  That decision alone set us back about 10 years. We’re still in the process of recovering from it. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your avatar makes me ragey. Fuck you, Steve Patterson! 

I'm fairly sure Patterson doesn't read this board, but since your message is one that it is vitally important he hear, I believe it would be appropriate for you to Google his current whereabouts and make sure that this gets said to him directly as soon as possible.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xian said:

Unlike those other towns the red stick is pretty badass. Plus I was going to stay 3days in Nola the day after the game.   Covid sucks 

Last time I was there, I saw a billboard bragging (complaining? hard to tell...) about having a higher murder rate than Chicago. 

I honestly can't think of anything beside the LSU dance girls that redeems that place. Not one damned thing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Why is JerryWorld a better alternative to the place that's completely open and will have no one in or around the area? Again people, the Cotton Bowl game was played in that stadium, without the State Fair around it, for decades. You can play a one off game at Fair Park without the State Fair as long as Dallas is still willing to allow it and pay for it. Assuming the contract is locked in, Dallas will have to pay unless they tell the teams the game can't go on. I highly doubt they do that.

They can probably get out of the contract easily enough. I was just thinking in terms of safety (only one team would need to travel), operating costs (playing on a home campus for free) and logistics (safe, clean, updated locker rooms for both teams).

I would lean to Cotton Bowl myself but sounds like teams hate it from a logistical standpoint and we know the locker rooms are cramped. They could also look at SMU, the Star or a high school, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Confused GIFs | Tenor\

Super Bowl
March Madness
Baseball opening weekend

Do Not Add To Hunts GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I didn't say it was worthless, but if making judgement calls on what's the least fun time of year, that's it. Late spring - summer = mountain climbing season, low workloads, shitloads of sun. Fall - early winter = football, hunting, great weather, holidays. Late winter = Super Bowl, March Madness, and loads of shitty cold and darkness. 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Shit won’t be better in the springtime. That’s when a stronger wave 2 is hitting.

Hope for a vaccine or continued improvements in management. Management of the disease on a case-by-case basis is vastly better now than three months ago. So it's obviously reasonable that will be even better in another six months. 

15 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Last time I was there, I saw a billboard bragging (complaining? hard to tell...) about having a higher murder rate than Chicago. 

I honestly can't think of anything beside the LSU dance girls that redeems that place. Not one damned thing.

Mansur's, Parrain's, George's.  The new L'auberge is pretty nice.

34 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your avatar makes me ragey. Fuck you, Steve Patterson! How in the living fuck did UT decide he would be a better AD than Oliver Luck?!  That decision alone set us back about 10 years. We’re still in the process of recovering from it. 

If COVID had a face, it would look like Steve Patterson.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Spanish town Mardi Gras is probably the best one in the country. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah, um, sorry.  But that's bullshit.  There's absolutely no fucking way we're playing football this Fall.

That's not what you said. You said if there's football, we'll need a new site. If there's football, our AD and OU's already said their plan is to play at the Cotton Bowl. Sure, it could change but until that moment, all this talk of playing Austin, Norman, or JerryWorld is pointless. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1