College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

17 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Eventually one or two actual football schools are going to cancel their games. Or maybe a whole state. And that's going to set off the rest of the dominoes and we'll know we're not getting football at all within a week or so of that. It'll be just like when the NCAA was pretending that we were still going to have March Madness until Duke pulled out and the NCAA killed the whole thing a few hours later.

Sad Cartoon GIF

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Eventually one or two actual football schools are going to cancel their games. Or maybe a whole state. And that's going to set off the rest of the dominoes and we'll know we're not getting football at all within a week or so of that. It'll be just like when the NCAA was pretending that we were still going to have March Madness until Duke pulled out and the NCAA killed the whole thing a few hours later.

Sad Cartoon GIF

Sadly...I think you're right.  It will start with the Ivy's announcement tomorrow (which by all accounts is happening) and within a couple days, everyone else will have followed suite.  I look for the whole thing to be scrapped by the end of the week, maaaaaybe beginning of next.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Sad Cartoon GIF

That's right.  This thing is going to snowball at some point just because of the cascading damage done to schedules.  If the State of New York cancels football--something that is very possible--then it's all over.  It's not that anybody gives a fuck about Syracuse or Buffalo.  But the damage that does to schedules would be catastrophic.

And beyond any state mandate, you're already starting to see schools saying they're going to all online classes.  I don't know how you can have all online classes but then have football.  It would strip away any remaining veneer of the player's being "student-athletes."

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That's not what you said. You said if there's football, we'll need a new site. If there's football, our AD and OU's already said their plan is to play at the Cotton Bowl. Sure, it could change but until that moment, all this talk of playing Austin, Norman, or JerryWorld is pointless. 

You're right.  But the point remains--it's not going to be in Dallas.  Even if there were football, we're not having anything at any neutral site (not just speaking of Texas-ou).  The logistics of travel and hotels is just too onerous right now.

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Sadly...I think you're right.  It will start with the Ivy's announcement tomorrow (which by all accounts is happening) and within a couple days, everyone else will have followed suite.  I look for the whole thing to be scrapped by the end of the week, maaaaaybe beginning of next.

Didn't even know the Ivies were announcing that. But yeah, that'll start the snowball (like LL says below)

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

That's right.  This thing is going to snowball at some point just because of the cascading damage done to schedules.  If the State of New York cancels football--something that is very possible--then it's all over.  It's not that anybody gives a fuck about Syracuse or Buffalo.  But the damage that does to schedules would be catastrophic.

And beyond any state mandate, you're already starting to see schools saying they're going to all online classes.  I don't know how you can have all online classes but then have football.  It would strip away any remaining veneer of the player's being "student-athletes."

You're right.  But the point remains--it's not going to be in Dallas.  Even if there were football, we're not having anything at any neutral site (not just speaking of Texas-ou).  The logistics of travel and hotels is just too onerous right now.

NY would be a critical blow. California would end it instantaneously.

24 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Sad Cartoon GIF

Correct.    Unfortunately, Fall of '21 is the best hope at this point. 

Edited by Wally Pryor

20 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't know if a neutral site is a bigger headache than one team having to add an extra travel date adding 3-4 additional hours to their normal 3 hour trip. I could see both schools digging in their heels on who has to travel for the game as that puts an additional headache on one of the programs and they're then playing at a disadvantage.

You could have a bubble type situation created at a place like the Omni downtown where both teams get sequestered. Don't the players normally travel in on Thursday, do their walk through on Friday, game on Saturday, and then back home right after the game? I'd imagine the walk through in general gets eliminated this year. 

Overall, my thought is delay the season till spring. Safest way to deal with another wave. If there's a winter wave, no season. 

Edited by mdmost

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Overall, my thought is delay the season till spring. Safest way to deal with another wave. If there's a winter wave, no season. 

Maybe that should have been the plan all along. Dangle football as a carrot to get all of the aggy/SECSECSEC types who think wearing a mask is a traumatizing life experience to get on board with the whole "rational society" thing.

"Alright everyone, if you wear your masks in public and stop having 300-person beer pong parties, we can all have football in the spring"

• Like 5

Concerned about HS football also.  My son will be a Senior, won't play in college, so this will be it.  I'm hoping for the best but bracing for the worst.  Getting more ragey by the day at people who refuse to wear masks, make any attempt to social distance, etc. because of the infringement on their rights.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I’m not saying the season will happen, but this isn’t all that significant as to whether it will happen.  The schools have been very careful in saying students on campus will be limited, plus they’re not currently allowing student son campus for summer, yet all the football players have already reported. Just Going primarily online for classes will not stop football players from being on campus. And Everyone knows football players aren’t truly student-athletes already so it doesn’t matter. 

30 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This doesn’t really make sense either. If the football season happens, it will be because traveling was determined to be safe (enough for schools to take the risk). Teams will already be traveling for games anyway. Adding one more team traveling during a football season where CFB teams will be traveling hundreds of times won’t be  significant.

Plus, I don’t see either team caving and going to the other’s stadium. There’s no fair way to do it, because you can’t just say we’ll play at the other’s stadium next year since that would involve fans and a home-field advantage. 

8 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Concerned about HS football also.  My son will be a Senior, won't play in college, so this will be it.  I'm hoping for the best but bracing for the worst.  Getting more ragey by the day at people who refuse to wear masks, make any attempt to social distance, etc. because of the infringement on their rights.

Maybe HS has a bit better chance of happening than college right now? So far it sounds like Texas is going to at least try to have students on campus some this fall. And obviously HS sports involve much less travel than college/pro. Just trying to look on the positive side. Tough situation for your son and tons of other kids like him. It's not just football, either - you've got cheerleaders, marching band, etc that would lose out as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Maybe HS has a bit better chance of happening than college right now? So far it sounds like Texas is going to at least try to have students on campus some this fall. And obviously HS sports involve much less travel than college/pro. Just trying to look on the positive side. Tough situation for your son and tons of other kids like him. It's not just football, either - you've got cheerleaders, marching band, etc that would lose out as well.

Agreed, it's not just the players.  I just haven't seen any plan for how it will work.  He goes to a smaller school, there are only about 40 guys on Varsity.  OL are also generally the DL, Receivers are DBs, RBs are LBs, etc.  if one tests positive and that results in the quarantine of their position group you lose entire units on both sides of the ball.  Trying to stay positive for his sake but it's difficult.

I've heard some discussion of moving Baseball to this Fall (easier to maintain social distance) and pushing football to post Spring Break.  I just hope they don't say it either starts by mid-September or it's scrapped.

20 minutes ago, orange dream said:

I really feel Texas is looking to flip to spring football. I think it's the only real shot. They lost spring workouts, had to stop summer workouts but somehow are supposed to have games in a month?  They need fall just to orient going back to school and getting players back into condition (some do, some don't)... playing in August in TX with only a week or two head start not going to work.  Plus right now most players haven't even gotten new physicals as that whole assembly line process was shutdown.

14 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I really feel Texas is looking to flip to spring football. I think it's the only real shot. They lost spring workouts, had to stop summer workouts but somehow are supposed to have games in a month?  They need fall just to orient going back to school and getting players back into condition (some do, some don't)... playing in August in TX with only a week or two head start not going to work.  Plus right now most players haven't even gotten new physicals as that whole assembly line process was shutdown.

I didn’t realize September 5th was a month away. Good to know.

On a serious note, most of install is done in fall camp and that hasn’t been significantly derailed yet. Most players have been working out with the team, except for the 15 or so who were isolated, and even some of them have still been working out individually. We are approaching the point where interference could make it difficult to be ready to play, but if they only play conference games that would buy another month so there’s still some time, but it certainly could get derailed if players keep contracting the virus. 

28 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Just listening in as Eanes tries to figure out what they're going to do, and I'm real skeptical about high school football.  Eanes is trying to do some sort of half-on- and half-off-campus deal in the Fall with a lot of serious social distancing for the on-campus times.  I don't see how football (or any other sport) fits into that paradigm.

47 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not saying the season will happen, but this isn’t all that significant as to whether it will happen.  The schools have been very careful in saying students on campus will be limited, plus they’re not currently allowing student son campus for summer, yet all the football players have already reported. Just Going primarily online for classes will not stop football players from being on campus. And Everyone knows football players aren’t truly student-athletes already so it doesn’t matter. 

It probably matters to the regular students who don't get to be on campus, especially foreign students who might get deported... You know there is going to be a group of pissed off students if athletes are allowed on campus but they aren't.

Just listening in as Eanes tries to figure out what they're going to do, and I'm real skeptical about high school football.  Eanes is trying to do some sort of half-on- and half-off-campus deal in the Fall with a lot of serious social distancing for the on-campus times.  I don't see how football (or any other sport) fits into that paradigm.
I mean, it doesn't. Not in high school, not in college. Let's be clear about that. It's about money and striking a balance to avoid backlash from the community.

I have been a big fan of CDC in general but he shouldn't have used the stale corporate "health and safety is our #1 priority" line. You're selling tickets to fill a stadium during a pandemic. Football players are on campus when the university has not given the green light on the general student body.

That's not the priority and it's frankly insulting people's intelligence to say it is. If it was they would've just said fuck it, see y'all next year.

I get it, it's a massive amount of money at stake. I'm not ignorant of that and I understand that factors into the calculus. But let's be honest about why football's even a discussion right now.

Of course, I know he can't say "separating you from your money is your #1 priority," and I'm just overreacting to being rubbed the wrong way with that line. But man, what a crock of shit.
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, it doesn't. Not in high school, not in college. Let's be clear about that. It's about money and striking a balance to avoid backlash from the community.

I have been a big fan of CDC in general but he shouldn't have used the stale corporate "health and safety is our #1 priority" line. You're selling tickets to fill a stadium during a pandemic. Football players are on campus when the university has not given the green light on the general student body.

That's not the priority and it's frankly insulting people's intelligence to say it is. If it was they would've just said fuck it, see y'all next year.

I get it, it's a massive amount of money at stake. I'm not ignorant of that and I understand that factors into the calculus. But let's be honest about why football's even a discussion right now.

Of course, I know he can't say "separating you from your money is your #1 priority," and I'm just overreacting to being rubbed the wrong way with that line. But man, what a crock of shit.

Wonder what the potential Title 9 exposure is by setting the standard of moving forward with football. How does this impact women's sports? Do they get to play if they want to because football got to play? 

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I know we joke, and I know this is all serious and much more important that football. I know that. 

But.... the thought of a fall without college football legitimately depresses the fuck out of me. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

College football is what makes harvesting a lot of fun. I listen to a crap ton of games in the tractor nationwide, and the ritual of each week helps mark the passage of time through the season. When you’re working 100+ hours a week, that shit really helps.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Exactly, and there's no reason to pussyfoot around it, especially right now. Switch every spot besides FB to the spring. There will be some "essential" students on campus like in the hospitals, science labs, community service orgs. Add FB to that list just for this fall. Other students and parents can rage all they want, but we are trying to keep this whole enterprise going for their benefit and that costs money.

Everything is risky for the rest of 2020. Our pro sports are beginning to navigate the path to low-risk competition which will be vital to preserving the economy. It has worked overseas. CFB leadership has to exhaust all options to pull off the season SAFELY. I know it sounds crazy today, and time is running out but let's see how things look at the end of July.

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

Arkansas announced today they are moving forward with fall athletic calendar.  Last paragraph sounds like Texas plans to do the same.

Edited by Don Johnson

Exactly, and there's no reason to pussyfoot around it, especially right now. Switch every spot besides FB to the spring. There will be some "essential" students on campus like in the hospitals, science labs, community service orgs. Add FB to that list just for this fall. Other students and parents can rage all they want, but we are trying to keep this whole enterprise going for their benefit and that costs money.

Everything is risky for the rest of 2020. Our pro sports are beginning to navigate the path to low-risk competition which will be vital to preserving the economy. It has worked overseas. CFB leadership has to exhaust all options to pull off the season SAFELY. I know it sounds crazy today, and time is running out but let's see how things look at the end of July.

Generally agree that there's no reason for them to make the call until they have to. At this point the idea of the outlook improving significantly in three weeks seems laughable, but who knows with 2020.

The part of your post I take issue with is the comparison to pro leagues. College football is nort a pro sport (recruiting and bag men aside). They're really not comparable at all in this situation. College is a much heavier lift and the ethical issue of putting the players out there is vastly different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I didn’t realize September 5th was a month away. Good to know.

On a serious note, most of install is done in fall camp and that hasn’t been significantly derailed yet. Most players have been working out with the team, except for the 15 or so who were isolated, and even some of them have still been working out individually. We are approaching the point where interference could make it difficult to be ready to play, but if they only play conference games that would buy another month so there’s still some time, but it certainly could get derailed if players keep contracting the virus. 

yeah, sorry was talking HS ball in Texas

1 hour ago, JMFP said:

It probably matters to the regular students who don't get to be on campus, especially foreign students who might get deported... You know there is going to be a group of pissed off students if athletes are allowed on campus but they aren't.

Let’s not act like they’re going to be deporting foreign students just to have football players on campus. lulz. The 100-200 students on campus for football won’t force foreign students out. 

As for regular students, they can still live off campus in Austin and hang out with friends if they want. I’m sure they’ll get over not having on-campus classes for a semester. And if not, then now is as good of time as any to learn that your value in school or work will be determined by what you generate for your company. Football players generate way more revenue than the average student, so they get to be on campus. That’s just how life works. 

• Like 2

Imagine if Disney offered UT like $30 million to use the campus from mid August through Thanksgiving. The catch is they only need 200 student extras, all of whom would be COVID tested frequently and strongly encouraged to practice safety protocols. And those students would have to interact with a few hundred other students over the course of the fall, all of whom are also being tested frequently. All students and crew would be on campus voluntarily.

I know that's over simplistic, but it boils down the question: if the risk can be low enough, why not take the damn money that is so badly needed for the good of the school and entire community?

22 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The part of your post I take issue with is the comparison to pro leagues. College football is nort a pro sport (recruiting and bag men aside). They're really not comparable at all in this situation. College is a much heavier lift and the ethical issue of putting the players out there is vastly different.

Yes, this is correct. I just think CFB has to follow the pro model as best they can. It's more similar to MLB in that players will be lodging on their own and it will be up to them to stay safe. Definitely the toughest element to control and there will be slippage.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's really not the full reaction I'm having which is when he flies off in the anger and wants to spin the world backwards so he can go back in time. 

200.gif

All for Margot Kidder. 
220px-Margot_Kidder_in_June_2013.jpg

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Let’s not act like they’re going to be deporting foreign students just to have football players on campus. lulz. The 100-200 students on campus for football won’t force foreign students out. 

As for regular students, they can still live off campus in Austin and hang out with friends if they want. I’m sure they’ll get over not having on-campus classes for a semester. And if not, then now is as good of time as any to learn that your value in school or work will be determined by what you generate for your company. Football players generate way more revenue than the average student, so they get to be on campus. That’s just how life works. 

(1) ICE has said if the school has no on-campus instruction, you go back to your country or transfer to a school with on-campus instruction.  The University of Texas is an educational institution first and an athletics program second.  

(2) Then we separate athletics from universities because it's obvious the 2 can't co-exist if you allow athletes on campus to make the school money, but students on-campus to learn (so like, the reason the school exists) is a bridge too far. 

Which, on (2), I'm all for.  NCAA athletics is basically a semi-pro development league; might as well just separate athletics and academics completely. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Students getting deported won't have anything to do with football, lulz, it has to do with their visas getting pulled if their school goes online only, so yeah they might be upset if they can't stay but some students can. I mean, they are foreigners and don't have big dicks to swing around like the revenue earning athletes but its another issue the SJW's will push.

Foreign Students Attending Schools That Operate Online-Only This Fall Will Be Barred From the U.S.

And I don't disagree, shit happens but college and the real world aren't the same place. I'd bet there will be plenty of Student Karens pushing the special benefits for athletes angle because they can't live in the dorms too and are missing out on college experience and they (daddy) didn't pay all that tuition for online only and...  just to have something to bitch about. Really I dunno what will happen but I think that only allowing student athletes to live on campus will be an uphill battle.

• Like 1

As for regular students, they can still live off campus in Austin and hang out with friends if they want. I’m sure they’ll get over not having on-campus classes for a semester.  

Narrator: The collective GPA that semester was a three eight. No, not 3.8, 0.38.
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's really not the full reaction I'm having which is when he flies off in the anger and wants to spin the world backwards so he can go back in time. 

200.gif

We need exactly this to happen so Superman can go back and strangle the life out of patient zero.

Also reminds me of something I saw saying that time travel will never be invented, because if it was, all of the time travelers would have arrived trying to stop 2020 from happening.

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

(1) ICE has said if the school has no on-campus instruction, you go back to your country or transfer to a school with on-campus instruction.  The University of Texas is an educational institution first and an athletics program second.  

(2) Then we separate athletics from universities because it's obvious the 2 can't co-exist if you allow athletes on campus to make the school money, but students on-campus to learn (so like, the reason the school exists) is a bridge too far. 

Which, on (2), I'm all for.  NCAA athletics is basically a semi-pro development league; might as well just separate athletics and academics completely. 

Those aren’t apples to apples, though.  there’s a distinction between having students live on campus versus having in-person teaching.

It certainly seems feasible to have foreign students on campus meet in large classrooms where they can distance taught by professors who volunteer to teach in-person. But if an outbreak shuts the teaching down or regulations change, it would leave students in a rough spot mid-semester, which again goes to show that allowing football players to live in campus is a much different situation than foreign students. If the players have to leave campus at some point, they can just drive home and they’ll be fine. 

29 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Students getting deported won't have anything to do with football, lulz, it has to do with their visas getting pulled if their school goes online only, so yeah they might be upset if they can't stay but some students can. I mean, they are foreigners and don't have big dicks to swing around like the revenue earning athletes but its another issue the SJW's will push.

Foreign Students Attending Schools That Operate Online-Only This Fall Will Be Barred From the U.S.

And I don't disagree, shit happens but college and the real world aren't the same place. I'd bet there will be plenty of Student Karens pushing the special benefits for athletes angle because they can't live in the dorms too and are missing out on college experience and they (daddy) didn't pay all that tuition for online only and...  just to have something to bitch about. Really I dunno what will happen but I think that only allowing student athletes to live on campus will be an uphill battle.

My understanding is that most schools are planning to allow these students on campus and have limited in-person teaching for this regardless of whether other students are allowed on, which is why they were specifying primarily online, or limited in-person teaching when announcing online classes. I was saying that allowing football players on campus wouldn’t change whether a schools chooses to do that. 

I agree with you that any situation where a school that doesn’t provide for foreign students on campus but does have football players there would create some anger. But housing players on campus and having in-person teaching are also two very different things. The requirement for a visa is in-person teaching, not students being able to live on campus, and schools have to get professor buy-in, plus consider the risk that problems could occur mid-semester, which could result in in-person classes being cancelled and their students’ visas being revoked. 

And without getting all cloak roomy, I’d say the primary anger for those situations should be directed somewhere other than the school. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

Do we even want them to play at this point? I'm afraid it is going to look like glorified intramurals (brother).

I can't imagine that the star players planning to come out this year will play if it shifts to spring because of the draft etc. There is also a chance they decide they have enough on tape and skip the fall as well.

What I haven't seen discussed is what if a decent portion of the underclassmen decide to take this as their red shirt year? Beyond the obvious risks of getting sick, why would they want to play? If they have a shitty season it looks bad on them and if they kill it it could be discounted as against "suppar" competition.

• Like 1