College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I don't know if a neutral site is a bigger headache than one team having to add an extra travel date adding 3-4 additional hours to their normal 3 hour trip. I could see both schools digging in their heels on who has to travel for the game as that puts an additional headache on one of the programs and they're then playing at a disadvantage.

You could have a bubble type situation created at a place like the Omni downtown where both teams get sequestered. Don't the players normally travel in on Thursday, do their walk through on Friday, game on Saturday, and then back home right after the game? I'd imagine the walk through in general gets eliminated this year. 

Overall, my thought is delay the season till spring. Safest way to deal with another wave. If there's a winter wave, no season. 

They travel on Friday afternoons.  They do family Friday in the late morning.  It's usually a pretty lean schedule, unless the game is a night game (then there is a bunch of dead time Saturday morning/early afternoon).  They usually arrive at the hotel, pick up their keys, meet for dinner then have downtime optional stuff like team movie.  They get up on Saturday and eat breakfast, have the walk through in the hotel ball room (or parking lot, if the hotel is smaller), and then off their feet until the bus loads to go to the stadium.  They fly/ride back right after the game, even if it means getting back to Austin at a ridiculous hour.

they're about to start testing 2x/week with a 24 hour turnaround time for results, and contact tracing/quarantine for any positives.  I'm not sure that travel represents a bigger risk than being in Austin.  The team is certainly more confined on the road, with fewer exposures to those outside the controlled, tested, travel party. 

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Do we even want them to play at this point? I'm afraid it is going to look like glorified intramurals (brother).

I can't imagine that the star players planning to come out this year will play if it shifts to spring because of the draft etc. There is also a chance they decide they have enough on tape and skip the fall as well.

What I haven't seen discussed is what if a decent portion of the underclassmen decide to take this as their red shirt year? Beyond the obvious risks of getting sick, why would they want to play? If they have a shitty season it looks bad on them and if they kill it it could be discounted as against "suppar" competition.

Lol what? 

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Wave 2, or the second peak of Wave 1 because we are too stupid to make it go away, will be in the fall/winter. 

It gon be bad

Your edgy spelling has convinced me. Shut it down. Shut it down now!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

This is the most Iowa State Post I’ve ever read in my life.  

Goddamn if I didn't think the exact same thing when I read it. It's like we've got ISU's official representative on here or something. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I have been a big fan of CDC in general but he shouldn't have used the stale corporate "health and safety is our #1 priority" line. 

Of course, I know he can't say "separating you from your money is your #1 priority," and I'm just overreacting to being rubbed the wrong way with that line. But man, what a crock of shit.

Let me guess, you also get triggered at coachspeak during postgame press conferences? 

8 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

When (err...if) CFB is cancelled, I wonder if the NFL looks at moving some of their games to Saturdays?

I bet they will.

Losing CFB would suck be we can all rest assured that the NFL is gonna play, even if they have to pay Elon Musk to send every team into quarantine on the surface of the moon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
2 hours ago, texastough said:
Let me guess, you also get triggered at coachspeak during postgame press conferences? 

Username really checks out. You are so tough. One day I hope to be like you.

Isn't Texas Tough the HEB brand of trash bags?

I will note that our intern who is a walk-on here at NU told us yesterday that they are still being told that the season will start on time, at the same time they are laying off game day staff. 

That would seem like something that would happen with a fanless season

1. Normal season

2. Partial season with full conference schedule .

3. Partial season with half full stadium.

4. Partial season, empty stadium.

5. Partial season in  the fall.

6. No season, but a LOT of begging to keep your Longhorn Foundation money.

So, is this about where we are on the list? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

1. Normal season

Bellmont can keep my donation, but I want my season & OU ticket money back.

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Bellmont can keep my donation, but I want my season & OU ticket money back.

I'd be a lot better off the other way around.

They already said they would give the donation and ticket money back if cancelled, but they started sending me videos and letters from athletes and coaches a few weeks ago, telling me how much they appreciated my LHF donation. Even got a personal phone call. Then yesterday, I got a letter from the University asking me to call and discuss my estate planing and how I could leave them something. Sounds like it's all hands on deck.

6 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I'd be a lot better off the other way around.

They already said they would give the donation and ticket money back if cancelled, but they started sending me videos and letters from athletes and coaches a few weeks ago, telling me how much they appreciated my LHF donation. Even got a personal phone call. Then yesterday, I got a letter from the University asking me to call and discuss my estate planing and how I could leave them something. Sounds like it's all hands on deck.

When I shuffle off, my kids are getting what little I have.

25 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

A post of irony: China now has "a cure" for what ails CFP 2020 -

Don't think the Chinese group has a manufacturing plan yet (kinda ironic). The Oxford vaccine is at least as far along as the Chinese and they have AstraZeneca locked and loaded to make 2 bn doses + another billion in India. Still, probably Spring 2021 at the earliest, and even then it will definitely be high risk groups first (which I assume does not include college football players and fans).

23 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Don't think the Chinese group has a manufacturing plan yet (kinda ironic). The Oxford vaccine is at least as far along as the Chinese and they have AstraZeneca locked and loaded to make 2 bn doses + another billion in India. Still, probably Spring 2021 at the earliest, and even then it will definitely be high risk groups first (which I assume does not include college football players and fans).

Are you kidding me? If it works, there's way too much money at stake for CFB not to get it. Money Talks, meet Mr. Tokamak. Mr. Tokamak, this is Money Talks. Y'all shake hands--uh, I mean, bump elbows.

2 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

1. Normal season

I’m assuming you meant spring for #5? I’d say that’s about right except with the caveat that I could easily see SEC and some other regions having at least 50% fans in the fall or spring. Doubt UT will, though. 

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Man imagine waking up every morning and getting stabbed with that swab up the nose.

MLB is doing a saliva test. Unless these alternative methods are drastically more expensive than the swab, I’d assume any sport that has regular testing will do something other than the swab since it’s such a pain in the ass, I mean nose. 

5 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Schools cutting the size of their athletic programs could be a positive to come out of all of this. I have no doubt Stanford was losing millions on those programs. Athletic Departments are way too bloated everywhere and having all these fringe sports is a big part of the reason why. Outside of meeting Title 9 requirements, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of value in having a bunch of sports that don’t come anywhere near to breaking even. 

Seems like a good idea to shift a lot of those to a club on campus that can self-fund and/or get money from the student activity budget as opposed to being a fixed expense for athletic departments. 

• Like 4