College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m assuming you meant spring for #5? I’d say that’s about right except with the caveat that I could easily see SEC and some other regions having at least 50% fans in the fall or spring. Doubt UT will, though. 

MLB is doing a saliva test. Unless these alternative methods are drastically more expensive than the swab, I’d assume any sport that has regular testing will do something other than the swab since it’s such a pain in the ass, I mean nose. 

Schools cutting the size of their athletic programs could be a positive to come out of all of this. I have no doubt Stanford was losing millions on those programs. Athletic Departments are way too bloated everywhere and having all these fringe sports is a big part of the reason why. Outside of meeting Title 9 requirements, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of value in having a bunch of sports that don’t come anywhere near to breaking even. 

Seems like a good idea to shift a lot of those to a club on campus that can self-fund and/or get money from the student activity budget as opposed to being a fixed expense for athletic departments. 

Agree. I suspect C-19 is just a catalyst--maybe even an excuse--to cut a bunch of bullshit dead weight. Now, if we could just use the same excuse to get rid of fucking Title IX . . .

22 minutes ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

Agree. I suspect C-19 is just a catalyst--maybe even an excuse--to cut a bunch of bullshit dead weight. Now, if we could just use the same excuse to get rid of fucking Title IX . . .

I suspect you don’t have daughters

• Like 7

On 7/3/2020 at 1:26 PM, South Austin said:

How will that work with the 2021 season? Will we cram two college football seasons into one calendar year? 

Damn I wish.  I know it's not feasible but I'd love to watch college ball 12 months a year.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Damn I wish.  I know it's not feasible but I'd love to watch college ball 12 months a year.

I mean, there wouldn’t be ball in the middle of summer I’m assuming. Jan/Feb to March/April/early May and then again in September-December. 

But they could try. I’m sure it would be fine to play outdoor football in July and August in Tempe, Austin, Houston, College Station, Baton Rouge.....

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I mean, there wouldn’t be ball in the middle of summer I’m assuming. Jan/Feb to March/April/early May and then again in September-December. 

But they could try. I’m sure it would be fine to play outdoor football in July and August in Tempe, Austin, Houston, College Station, Baton Rouge.....

We thought LSU had cramping problems?   August ball could make for some very interesting situations to say the least.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m assuming you meant spring for #5? I’d say that’s about right except with the caveat that I could easily see SEC and some other regions having at least 50% fans in the fall or spring. Doubt UT will, though. 

MLB is doing a saliva test. Unless these alternative methods are drastically more expensive than the swab, I’d assume any sport that has regular testing will do something other than the swab since it’s such a pain in the ass, I mean nose. 

Schools cutting the size of their athletic programs could be a positive to come out of all of this. I have no doubt Stanford was losing millions on those programs. Athletic Departments are way too bloated everywhere and having all these fringe sports is a big part of the reason why. Outside of meeting Title 9 requirements, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of value in having a bunch of sports that don’t come anywhere near to breaking even. 

Seems like a good idea to shift a lot of those to a club on campus that can self-fund and/or get money from the student activity budget as opposed to being a fixed expense for athletic departments. 

Good points, I could see a day when teams as Harvard/ Stanford/ Rice/ Northwestern, ect. may all chose to "focus" on mostly educational experiences.??

Media making a little too much of the Ivy being the canary in the coal mine back in March. Their tournament is a total of three games. They were prepared to send the regular season champion to NCAAs if there had been a tourney.

Still, I can see this making some P5 presidents think hard about delaying football. I predict they wait a couple weeks to see if COVID starts to settle down and maybe they can salvage 8-10 games this fall. Better to try to bank some money in the fall, because if they postpone to spring and the virus flares back up, it's apocalyptic damage

11 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Good points, I could see a day when teams as Harvard/ Stanford/ Rice/ Northwestern, ect. may all chose to "focus" on mostly educational experiences.??

The University of Chicago did just that in 1939.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/23/university-chicago-made-one-college-footballs-boldest-plays-it-quit/

35 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

does that throw off Title IX ?

I think it has to "balance out" as still being even for both (equal distribution of sports) for men's/ & women's ect. ...

35 minutes ago, nnm said:

ANd if I remember correctly, (up until recent change from CIC to BTAA, UC was still in B1G academic consortium...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

Is XII waiting for another P5 to postpone/cancel fall sports before they do?  

Probably. We were one of the last to stop in basketball. Hell our guys were warming up and then They made the call 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

If profitable football teams could be removed from Title IX equation, then I think that it would be a perfect adjustment. 

Unprofitable teams stay in the equation, but profitable teams pay for a lot of female scholarships.

3 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

I was really looking forward to Brown v Cornell!

I've been to Columbia @ Harvard. The most memorable thing about that game was meeting Meredith Salenger outside the stadium, because she was/is friends with my Harvard friends.

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Going to an Ivy League Football game is on my Bucket List.  I just need to find a sweater with a large T on it and maybe a small megaphone.

Go to Harvard @ Yale. 

Tailgating on the grass fields all around the Yale Bowl before "The Game" tops all other Ivy matchups, no matter what Princeton alums tell you.

If you can run down on the field after Yale wins and randomly high five a Yale player that you barely knew from Dallas, even better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexasGolf said:

does that throw off Title IX ?

All 11 sports being discontinued are sponsored by less than 22% of the more than 350 Division I institutions, and nine (men’s and women’s fencing, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball) are sponsored by less than 9%.

All 11 sports being discontinued are sponsored by less than 22% of the more than 350 Division I institutions, and nine (men’s and women’s fencing, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball) are sponsored by less than 9%.

What about quidditch?

On 7/7/2020 at 3:39 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

College football is what makes harvesting a lot of fun. I listen to a crap ton of games in the tractor nationwide, and the ritual of each week helps mark the passage of time through the season. When you’re working 100+ hours a week, that shit really helps.

Well you can put those dreams out to pasture.

• Like 4