College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

I wouldn't worry about Notre Dame finding 10 opponents or however many are needed. I mean, the Big 12 is sitting right there with no way to get to 10 games without a non-conference addition.

I like the direction the powers-that-be are going. Give yourself a few more weeks to see if the virus settles, not to mention improving the safety by keeping everything in the family.

3 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I wouldn't worry about Notre Dame finding 10 opponents or however many are needed. I mean, the Big 12 is sitting right there with no way to get to 10 games without a non-conference addition.

I like the direction the powers-that-be are going. Give yourself a few more weeks to see if the virus settles, not to mention improving the safety by keeping everything in the family.

Yeah, Army lost their Princeton game.  ND can just slide into the open slot. 

4 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Huh? Every conference is going to go conference only. Big 12 will play 9 games, SEC will play 8, etc. 

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

BYU-Utah (no holy war)
Oregon State-Okie State
USC-Bama
TCU-Cal
Michigan-Washington
Ohio State-Oregon
UH-Washington St
Arizona-Texas Tech
Tree-ND
USC-ND

Also holy shit Hawaii just lost 3 games - Arizona, UCLA, Oregon

This is exactly like what we saw with CBB.  Trickle in some options to hopefully get the season finished.  Then something big happens (gobert getting rona) and boom.  It's over.

I'm willing to bet that with no fans in the stands and only 8-10 game schedules, that all it takes is about 5-10% of rosters/coaches to contract corona before september and all CFB will start to cancel.  Ivy League opened the door.  Everyone else is standing there wondering if they have to walk through it.  Media hysteria will force them to.

• Like 1

Dumb question time... is there something I’m missing that makes conference games safer than non-conference games? Lots of schools have certain regional non-conference opponents that require less travel than many of their conference opponents. Logically speaking, how can a school like TCU cancel their SMU matchup but justify traveling to WVU?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

Dumb question time... is there something I’m missing that makes conference games safer than non-conference games? Lots of schools have certain regional non-conference opponents that require less travel than many of their conference opponents. Logically speaking, how can a school like TCU cancel their SMU matchup but justify traveling to WVU?

What about how the NCAA and college football as a stand alone entity has ever made any sense?

2 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

It's probably little more than a delaying tactic.  Most conference games don't start until late Sept/early Oct.  They're hoping that things calm down by then....they won't.  At some point in Sept, they'll probably say "we're going to play 50% of our conference schedule", then probably cancel or delay until spring. 

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
10 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I swear to god if we lose the LSU road trip to an exhibition game (if 3/5 of the power 5 isn't playing that's exactly what the season is) with no fans...

You may have spoken too soon, let's hope some sanity kicks in.?!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Huh? Every conference is going to go conference only. Big 12 will play 9 games, SEC will play 8, etc. 

But every other conference has enough members to play 10 games if they want. Big 12 could stand pat but that would be leaving money on the table if others are playing 10.

That said, and again I still like this concept, but it smacks of something that is just a placeholder until they have to postpone everything indefinitely. It is bizarre how many local rivalries are being tabled at the moment just in the name of conference play.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Fuck yes. Big XII and SEC still have non- conference games we are golden. Who gives a shit about the PAC. It just means more in Big XII and SEC country. haha

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Fuck yes. Big XII and SEC still have non- conference games we are golden. Who gives a shit about the PAC. It just means more in Big XII and SEC country. haha

Man. I’m conflicted here.

On the one hand I want to curb stomp LSU.

On the other, I want to see the farmers take in the ass after their ooc schedule is trashed.

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

They owe BYU a return game and this will eliminate any excuses they have for not living up to their end of the contract agreement.  

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

BYU is screwed. 

We'll l have options, though losing games to Michigan St and Minnesota sucks.  ESPN doesn't want to lose content and the revenue it generates, so they'll come to bat for BYU in this instance to protect its content.  

13 minutes ago, Bartles said:

But every other conference has enough members to play 10 games if they want. Big 12 could stand pat but that would be leaving money on the table if others are playing 10.

That said, and again I still like this concept, but it smacks of something that is just a placeholder until they have to postpone everything indefinitely. It is bizarre how many local rivalries are being tabled at the moment just in the name of conference play.

Big 12 could easily incorporate BYU and Notre Dame (and another team if they play ACC games) to get to a 10 game schedule

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

Shit's done.  Called it way back at the beginning of this mess - and said then and now, I wish I was wrong but I see no path to a fall cfb season.  Pros is different, there's hope that the NFL will get going.  Best hope for cfb is to move this shit to spring rather than this half ass shit that is sure to fall on it's face. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 8

I think it's just teams and conferences holding out hope against hope for a season.  Everyone wants it, but once they start really looking at the practicalities, and are honest with themselves, they realize it is highly unlikely.  And of all sports to play fanless, CFB is the one where it hurts the most.  The gameday experience is unlike any other sport.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

If the Pac 12 goes that same route then yes.   This was likely our best shot at Utah this season with all of their losses so this sucks double.  

It's already being reported the PAC is going to do the same. Sucks for y'all, but honestly, I think it's all gonna shut down anyways.

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Shit's done.  Called it way back at the beginning of this shit - and said then and now, I wish I was wrong but I see no path to a cfb season.  Pros is different, there's hope that the NFL will get going.  Best hope for cfb is to move this shit to spring rather than this half ass shit that is sure to fall on it's face. 

Spring season would be a shit show for a number of reasons. The biggest is playing one and then trying to turn around and play a fall season 3 months later seems insane.  

Remember there was a 2-3 day window in March when we thought: conference tourneys would finish with no fans, then NCAA tourney would be played with no fans, then a mini-tourney could still be held to salvage the Final Four...this feels like an extended version of that period.

• Like 5