College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

Spring season would be a shit show for a number of reasons. The biggest is playing one and then trying to turn around and play a fall season 3 months later seems insane.  

I think you move 2021 fall to later into fall - it would be a mess but at least doable.  Maybe do conference only in Spring.  But no matter how the hell you look at it, this fall won't work.  NYC and Chicago plus other calm spots are going to force quarantine for travelers from hotspots.  A bubble type set up in pros may work but cfb is ill equipped to do anything like that - hell the NCAA has proven they're dumb af a million times over. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Remember there was a 2-3 day window in March when we thought: conference tourneys would finish with no fans, then NCAA tourney would be played with no fans, then a mini-tourney could still be held to salvage the Final Four...this feels like an extended version of that period.

Exactly.  Let's have a fanless conference tourney.  No wait, let's cancel the conference tourneys and cut straight to the Big Dance with no fans.  Aw fuck it, we'll wait till next year.  Same thing here.  We are in a much worse place with this virus today than we were 4 months ago.

5 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

Spring season would be a shit show for a number of reasons. The biggest is playing one and then trying to turn around and play a fall season 3 months later seems insane.  

Interesting question, do you push for a season that will screw up the season after that? I would think its better to take your lumps up front and get it over with. I have no problem with trying to have a Spring season otherwise. I also think they will hold on to that hope.

15 minutes ago, LTbear said:

It's already being reported the PAC is going to do the same. Sucks for y'all, but honestly, I think it's all gonna shut down anyways.

If the Big 10 is going to do it, the PAC will do it.  Why?  Because California, Oregon and Washington leadership will hold hands while they announce it.  And Arizona is a mess.  

Utah and Colorado could just fight it out 10 times for the conference crown. 

32 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Sam Ehlinger may have played his last snap in burnt orange. Even if they move the season to spring, so many draft eligible upperclassmen will sit out the season for the spring season for the April NFL draft 

11 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Sam C, Sam E & Ossai will never wear burnt orange again. This just sucks. There won't be a 2020 season.

I have no idea why y’all think Sam wouldn’t come back for 2021. He’s not going to be a high draft pick. His best bet is having a huge last year. It wouldn’t make any sense for him to declare if there’s no season in 2020. Same for Ossai. He’s had like two big games his whole career. He needs a full season to show what he can do. 

I could see Cosmi declaring but the others you listed wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4

Hey let's look to history...we are winning the whole fucking thing

9 Games

• Share & more
    • Modify & Share Table
    • Embed this Table
    • Get as Excel Workbook (experimental)
    • Get table as CSV (for Excel)
    • Strip Mobile Formatting
    • Copy Link to Table to Clipboard
    • About Sharing Tools
    • Video: SR Sharing Tools & How-to
    • Video: Stats Table Tips & Tricks
  • Glossary
G Date Day School   Opponent Conf   Pts Opp W L T Streak Notes
1 Sep 28, 1918 Sat Texas   Texas Christian Ind W 19 0 1 0 0 W 1  
2 Oct 13, 1918 Sun Texas   Penn Radio School Non-Major W 25 0 2 0 0 W 2  
3 Oct 27, 1918 Sun Texas   Penn Radio School Non-Major W 22 7 3 0 0 W 3  
4 Nov 3, 1918 Sun Texas   Ream Field Non-Major W 26 2 4 0 0 W 4  
5 Nov 10, 1918 Sun Texas   Oklahoma State SWC W 27 5 5 0 0 W 5  
6 Nov 13, 1918 Wed Texas   Camp Mabry Non-Major W 22 0 6 0 0 W 6  
7 Nov 16, 1918 Sat Texas @ Rice SWC W 14 0 7 0 0 W 7  
8 Nov 23, 1918 Sat Texas   SMU SWC W 32 0 8 0 0 W 8  
9 Nov 28, 1918 Thu Texas   Texas A&M SWC W 7 0 9 0 0 W 9  
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

If cases don't take a dramatic drop in the next 3 weeks a football season is looking less and less likely. 

Great because that is about the time we get the 4th of July surge.

Oh and where was that Big 10 no non conference game deal a couple of years ago?

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Getting mad at other conferences for doing what's right for their kids' safety and making them look bad is so perfectly on brand for the SEC it could have been scripted.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

What about how the NCAA and college football as a stand alone entity has ever made any sense?

When have the NCAA and college football ever been a standalone entity and what role is the NCAA even playing in the conferences' decision to cancel noncenference games?

35 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

CFB happened during Spanish flu everyone in the stands wore masks 

Yep.  And so did baseball.

But people listened then, and followed orders.  Today, half of the fan base would be bitching about liberties being violated, living in a tyranny, etc.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Getting mad at other conferences for doing what's right for their kids' safety and making them look bad is so perfectly on brand for the SEC it could have been scripted.

Icono is the SEC commissioner apparently 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Dumb question time... is there something I’m missing that makes conference games safer than non-conference games? Lots of schools have certain regional non-conference opponents that require less travel than many of their conference opponents. Logically speaking, how can a school like TCU cancel their SMU matchup but justify traveling to WVU?

Only way to make sure everyone playing each other is following the same safety protocols and testing/etc.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I have no idea why y’all think Sam wouldn’t come back for 2021. He’s not going to be a high draft pick. His best bet is having a huge last year. It wouldn’t make any sense for him to declare if there’s no season in 2020. Same for Ossai. He’s had like two big games his whole career. He needs a full season to show what he can do. 

I could see Cosmi declaring but the others you listed wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense. 

The way he plays and the number of concussions he’s had, he’d be dumb to beat himself up in college another year to move from a 5th rd pick to a 4th rd pick at best. He could be getting an NFL paycheck a year from today, or he could be getting ready for another college season a year from today. Which do you think sounds better to him?

7 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Westlake would play Lake Travis every weekend before they didn't play football.

I would be ok with that,  mrs Fidy and I went to westlake, or brood went to LT, so we always win.   Based on recent test results within our family, I would likely attend every game if that were allowed.   

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The way he plays and the number of concussions he’s had, he’d be dumb to beat himself up in college another year to move from a 5th rd pick to a 4th rd pick at best. He could be getting an NFL paycheck a year from today, or he could be getting ready for another college season a year from today. Which do you think sounds better to him?

He was draft eligible after last year, and chose to return, so it’s pretty obvious which sounds better to him. His childhood dream is to be the quarterback at UT. I don’t think he’s going to skip his last year to do that. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He was draft eligible after last year, and chose to return, so it’s pretty fucking obvious which sounds better to him. 

Did he already have his degree at that point? VY was draft eligible after the 2004 season, did him coming back in 05 mean he was coming back in 06? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Did he already have his degree at that point? VY was draft eligible after the 2004 season, did him coming back in 05 mean he was coming back in 06? 

Lulz. Yeah, I’m sure Vince’s degree was the change in mindset from 04 to 05, not winning a national title. Vince and Sam are very different. VY was a surefire top pick after 05, Sam isn’t and he’s been a diehard UT fan his whole life. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

He isn’t wrong you know. Hopefully the Big XII and SEC lead the way in pushing back. 

You’re agreeing with a guy who said this whole thing was a hoax and wouldn’t even reach 1,000 deaths, and he’s only gotten dumber and more obstinate since he said that. You might want to rethink your position in the “Coronabros.” 

• Like 8

Sam Ehlinger may have played his last snap in burnt orange. Even if they move the season to spring, so many draft eligible upperclassmen will sit out the season for the spring season for the April NFL draft 

There's a zero percent chance Ehlinger would not return. For one, he's a fringe NFL prospect without a huge senior year. If he wanted to go to the draft he could've done so last year and been in the same position he is now. And of course I'm pretty sure he cares more about being the QB at Texas than the NFL.

Cosmi is the only one you'd really need to worry about. Maybe Sterns or Ossai but they could both really use big years

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re agreeing with a guy who said this whole thing was a hoax and wouldn’t even reach 1,000 deaths, and he’s only gotten dumber and more obstinate since he said that. You might want to rethink your position in the “Coronabros.” 

A couple of fuckers in Congress are trying to gum shit up. That’s what I’m talking about. No CR

• Fuck You 1

To Sam Ehlinger? Is that a serious question? Dude committed to Texas at like age 7. I'm pretty sure if you told him he could win a natty if it meant he'd never get a dime from the NFL he'd take that deal.

Also I don't know why you think Ehlinger is guaranteed an NFL paycheck. He's a long way from a pro QB based on what we've seen. Practice squad gets paid I guess.